Author Topic: April Fools: Intel FPGA announcements  (Read 3692 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
April Fools: Intel FPGA announcements
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »
Edit: This is an April Fools post and a lot of wishful thinking.

Intel just announced the Xeon Arria processors with built-in FPGA matrix for high-performance computing systems. The Xeon Arria processors combines a Skylake processor and Arria 10 FPGA matrix on the same die, allowing even higher performance for parallel computing than the Xeon Phi many integrated cores platform can fathom. The Xeon Arria processors comes in two series: Xeon Arria A3-1200v5 based on Skylake-WS, and Xeon Arria A5-2600v5 based on the yet-to-be-released Skylake-EP. The former comes in the LGA1151 package and can work with a motherboard with Intel C232 or C236 chipset; while the latter comes in the LGA3647 package and can work with an Intel C630-series chipset. Prices of the devices are yet to be announced. A developer-oriented Core Arria A7-6700P is also announced, which is similar to a Xeon A3-1200v5 but can operate on Intel 100-series desktop chipset.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:13:23 am by technix »

Offline Mattjd

• Regular Contributor
Re: Intel FPGA announcements
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:37:53 am »
Link?

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:42:20 am »

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:19:45 am »
I cant wait till they release the i8, its an Intel i7 and AMD Ryzen R7 in one package.  :-DD

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:32:20 am »
This will be great for my heterogenous multiprocessing project. It was originally going to be two motherboards in one box, one with a Broadwell Core i7 (the one with the huge cache) and one with a Skylake Core i7. Now I guess it'll be two or three motherboards with a Core Arria A7, a Ryzen, and maybe the Broadwell still. Each one will be a separate computer, but they will share their OS and applications running on them, as well as sharing the graphics cards.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 05:44:33 am »
This will be great for my heterogenous multiprocessing project. It was originally going to be two motherboards in one box, one with a Broadwell Core i7 (the one with the huge cache) and one with a Skylake Core i7. Now I guess it'll be two or three motherboards with a Core Arria A7, a Ryzen, and maybe the Broadwell still. Each one will be a separate computer, but they will share their OS and applications running on them, as well as sharing the graphics cards.

Make sure to twist your wires together well, and ensure that there is plenty of duct tape and cable ties. Gotta be pro man!

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 07:21:51 am »
I cant wait till they release the i8, its an Intel i7 and AMD Ryzen R7 in one package.  :-DD
Or the more practical one, Intel i7 with nVidia GTX as onboard GPU.

Offline Immyram

• !
Re: April Fools: Intel FPGA announcements
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:10 pm »
so funny :-DD
"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code"
I'm so geeked, that even I regularly write academic papers

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »
I expect they'll one-up that, with a CPU containing a few cores each of x64/x86, ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, SPARC, Alpha AXP, m68k, and maybe Z80, so that we can get rid of emulation and run native virtualization for everything!  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf