Author Topic: Introduction GST for <$1000 goods (Australia)  (Read 20404 times)

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Introduction GST for <$1000 goods (Australia)
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2018, 04:31:41 am »
Gerry Harvey didn't get where he is by being dumb - and I believe I have underestimated him on this subject.

It now seems rather obvious he wasn't chasing the 10% GST, but rather the collection mechanism - and by the Australian Government trying to push this out to the platforms (I wonder whose idea that was?), Gerry was hoping for the "get stuffed" response from them.

The result is: Gerry Harvey now sees his competition diminishing.

It was never about the GST.

I agree with all of this. I seriously underestimated the enemy.

Note that Amazon can now charge higher prices to Australians than for the rest of the world, since Australians will be blocked from Amazon US, Amazon UK, Amazon DE, etc.

Since it will get harder for us to arbitrage higher local prices, I expect Amazon AU and others to take advantage of this.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 04:35:49 am »
Amazon AU is already screwed with the lack of product and the excesses in pricing.  The only way that Australian sellers could take advantage is to cross their fingers and hope to get more sales.  Increasing prices is just foolhardy.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2018, 09:00:30 am »
I think that people think that Gerry Harvey has a lot more influence than he actually does.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »
He's only got to give a politician a reason to think something is a good idea.  The rest will flow naturally.

Besides ... he's had his face in the news - and that is always an attention-getter for politicians.

Offline niladherbert

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2018, 01:48:18 pm »
As a nation, how much better or worse off would Australia be if they had full free trade?

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2018, 06:58:58 am »
As a nation, how much better or worse off would Australia be if they had full free trade?

We would have to compete on a more level playing field. Meaning the standard of living will drop for most Australians, except politicians.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf