Author Topic: Is there a way to shut off the "trivia/ads" on win 10 lock screen?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
That is so annoying and intrusive. I don't need to know that Microsoft edge is better its not but I'm using it right now because its spell check/auto correct spares you guys from reading my gibberish although doesn't filter out my dumb posts like this one. I did this once before but thanks to my memory condition its like the first time as its been a few months. Did I tell you I cant remember? Some times I forget after a seizure. Also in case I didn't tell you I have seizures and wipe out my memory. Also I should let you guys know for the first time I can't remember things...  :blah: :blah: :scared: If you think its annoying try living with it. I don't know what's worse forgetting shit or assholes that get irritated because they hear things twice.

Also I like natural parks and geography so its all the more annoying when I try to guess where things are. I once went through the settings and it just shut off. Can't wait for the day the paint we use on the walls of our house will have ads on them and you will have buy a monthly subscription to ad block paint to paint over it which will be "virtually ad free" . ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING ADVERTISEMENTS ALREADY!!
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: Is there a way to shut off the "trivia/ads" on win 10 lock screen?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:08 pm »
That is so annoying and intrusive.

I solved most of my MS issues by using it inside a virtual machine and preventing that VM from accessing the outside world.
Now I can use Altium, AutoCAD, Revit & MS Office without being bothered by any form of spyware and/or advertising. I did initially have major slowdown issues with these applications (particularly the Autodesk ones) trying to phone home and having to wait for the connection to time out, but I solved that by putting a network re-direct in place so all outgoing requests end up at a local http server that returns a 404 for every request. Now all the applications start up promptly and I don't get stuck waiting for network timeouts.

Having said that, there is an ad for "Budget Multimeters" at the bottom of this web page, but only because I'm too lazy or stupid to have turned the ad-blocker on for eevblog.com.

As for the rest of your post. Yes you might have told us you have memory issues once or thirteen times. Some of me (I can't speak for others) is/are ok with that. I might have even mentioned that before, but you might not remember ;). That's ok too. I can be repetitive.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:49:30 pm »
That is so annoying and intrusive.

I solved most of my MS issues by using it inside a virtual machine and preventing that VM from accessing the outside world.
Now I can use Altium, AutoCAD, Revit & MS Office without being bothered by any form of spyware and/or advertising. I did initially have major slowdown issues with these applications (particularly the Autodesk ones) trying to phone home and having to wait for the connection to time out, but I solved that by putting a network re-direct in place so all outgoing requests end up at a local http server that returns a 404 for every request. Now all the applications start up promptly and I don't get stuck waiting for network timeouts.

Having said that, there is an ad for "Budget Multimeters" at the bottom of this web page, but only because I'm too lazy or stupid to have turned the ad-blocker on for eevblog.com.

As for the rest of your post. Yes you might have told us you have memory issues once or thirteen times. Some of me (I can't speak for others) is/are ok with that. I might have even mentioned that before, but you might not remember ;). That's ok too. I can be repetitive.

I think that's whats most bothering for me and the people around me. But having this forum really helps as I will often look at past threads before I make a new one and often find my answer. Glad you understand and not just getting upset yelling "REPOST". Luckily I can still learn and when I do something twice or three times it usually sticks. On the plus side sometimes I can watch a movie twice and it's like the first time.

That's really the 100% solution with the VM but I'm willing to do a compromise. I had them shut off before you don't turn them off directly but rather turn off interactive something. Would also be nice to delete the Cortana and uninstall the grayed out programs, that pissed me off bad when I had to buy an iPhone for a program I was in and couldn't delete face book. Really don't want my computer spying on me like the phone as it is I have an uneasy feeling every time I use it and have the bare min of apps I need..

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 02:53:38 pm »
Use these two apps, it'll clean up Win10 to something useable:

https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 02:55:47 pm »
Would also be nice to delete the Cortana and uninstall the grayed out programs

Have you looked at NTLite? I use it to build basic VM installs. It's neat in that it allows you to remove major system components (like Cortana) from system images. It's $$ software, but it does stuff I don't mind paying for.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 03:02:12 pm »
https://www.safer-networking.org/products/spybot-anti-beacon/

Also, disabling Cortana permanantly is easy.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/turn-cortana-windows-10

EDIT: You will still see a tiny Cortana process, but it's just the default windows search (an empty shell).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:05:21 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Gromitt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 03:06:39 pm »

Offline PhysicsDude55

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 05:54:58 pm »
Not a direct answer to your question, but there are ways to disable the login screen completely.  On my personal desktop I don't use a password or login screen.  Goes straight to my desktop after booting or waking up from sleep.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security-winpc/how-to-remove-login-screen-and-completely-disable/3763d09a-0615-45ab-afcb-6c2036ddad64

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »
I just Googled "windows 10 lock screen ads"

Solution

Click the “Start” button, and search for “Settings,” then press Enter.
    Click “Personalization.”
    Click “Lock Screen.”
    Click the “Background” dropdown, and change it from “Windows Spotlight” to either “Picture” or “Slideshow.”
    Select the picture or picture(s) you’d like included, respectively.
    Locate the “Get fun facts, tips, and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen,” and enthusiastically toggle it from “On” to “Off.”

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 06:10:57 pm »
What version of Windows 10 do you have? The lighter versions seem to have less options to deal with this than the corporate versions, up to and including telemetry.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 12:49:57 am »
What version of Windows 10 do you have? The lighter versions seem to have less options to deal with this than the corporate versions, up to and including telemetry.

10 home 1709

Yes I could have just googled but look at all the options I would never have thought of in this thread! I will use a combination of them to meet my needs. It used to be when you got a new computer you had to install everything , now you have to remove a bunch of shit.  Does any one person here use Cortana? I have never seen anyone use it. Why would I? I guess its just a gimmick to keep up with ok google and those other things? I totally only see it as a novelty and find it much faster to use the mouse. "Cortana fix the spike in my SDR by adjusting the offset" If it could do that I would use it. Useless.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 01:59:23 am »
Just be careful not to actually uninstall Cortana. (You might find scripts around the place to do it).
I guess too many people were doing that, so Microsoft decided to be dicks about it and now if you uninstall Cortana, they disable your start menu.......

However, uninstalling the Edge web browser is fine and has no negative impact.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf