Author Topic: Juror jailed for 8 months or community service discovering the court on Facebook  (Read 3441 times)

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I have read a juror was jailed for 8 month or community service after discovering the defendants on Face Book and made contact with them in London, U.K.  The juror was biased for finding this out on Face book.  It seems book is more than recognizing faces.  It can get one into many troubles.  What happened to My Space?  

Surf here about the unusal contact that costs this individual 8 months in jail in the U.K.:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/facebook-juror-jailed-eight-months-104252467.html

Lawsen
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:45:26 pm by Lawsen »

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
I have read a juror was jailed for 8 month or community service after discovering the defendants on Face Book and made contact with them in London, U.K.  The juror was biased for finding this out on Face book.

Yes, or almost so -- the juror contacted one of the defendents who had already been acquitted, and then went on to share details of the jury's deliberations on the matter of her co-defendents.  Cue one nice expensive mistrial.

It seems book is more than recognizing faces.  It can get one into many troubles.

Well, in this case the phone book could probably lead to exactly the same sort of problem.  The root cause of the juror being jailed for contempt of court is her own blatant stupidity; seriously, how vacant do you have to be to think getting in touch with someone you're trying is a good idea?  Especially given that some of the messages the juror sent included advice like "don't tell anybody about our conversation, it could lead to a mistrial"...

What happened to My Space?

Always struck me as a glorified guestbook with all the tasteful aesthetic qualities of the worst Geocities pages from the '90s.  Was astounded when Murdoch decided it was worth buying for big money; Facebook was considerably more useful as a 'social' tool (*waves to Simon*), but at the time was closed-access -- only allowing registrations from affiliated university e-mail addresses, etc.  I guess it gained a reputation as a 'cut above' MySpace, and then when it opened up to Joe Public the network effect carried it forwards.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
Why don't you cite something?  You are just posting stuff like we are supposed to take your word for it.
-Time

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
Why don't you cite something?  You are just posting stuff like we are supposed to take your word for it.

Here you go

alm

Here you go
It's the duty of the person who posts the news to cite sources, not the duty of the readers to track them down.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf