Author Topic: Jake The Peg Down Under  (Read 7876 times)

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
Jake The Peg Down Under
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--See below link about 5 legged Toad. No word yet on whether to blame cell phones, chem trails, or global climate change (used to be global warming).

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/09/25/262661_ntnews.html

--In the 60s there was an outbreak of anthropic polypedalism in the land down under. See below link.

"Marconi invented the radio but he had to wait years and years till anything decent was on." Johnny Carson

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Jake The Peg Down Under
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
Ah--that "land down under" was of course Great Britain, on the BBC.    ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:22:24 pm by IanB »

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:09 pm »
Dear IanB:

--Your need to find (erroneously as it turns out) minor discrepancies in what was supposed to be a post of a humorous nature, is puzzling. Other than providing you an opportunity to quibble, how did you like the video?

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." Benjamin Franklin

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »
I liked the performance as much as the many previous times I have watched it. I rather think I watched it originally on television when it was first broadcast in 1969.

Rolf Harris has spent the past several decades on British TV. He is practically a British institution.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34:43 am »
Dear IanB:

--The estimable Mr. Harris is practically an American institution as well, but not quite because he was born and raised in the land down under. He never gave up being an Australian, hence he did not write "Tie Me Pine Martin Down, Sport"

--The next time you think that anyone is so stupid as to confuse Britain and Australia, I recommend you have a go at finding a rolling donut.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." Benjamin Franklin

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:18:30 am »
The next time you think that anyone is so stupid as to confuse Britain and Australia
When did I ever suggest that?  ::)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:31:31 am »
I mean really, get a sense of humour! Loosen up, OK?  :)

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 02:20:41 am »
I mean really, get a sense of humour! Loosen up, OK?  :)
No point arguing with idiots, it just frustrates you, and annoys the idiot.  ;)

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:37:44 am »
Dear IanB:

"that "land down under" was of course Great Britain, on the BBC"

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
Benjamin Franklin

Best Regards
Clear Ether

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:49 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Uncle Vernon stated?

"No point arguing with idiots, it just frustrates you, and annoys the idiot."

--Interesting post, considering this previous PM from UV:

"From: Uncle Vernon
Congratulation [sic]: You have won an all expenses paid one way trip to my ignore list.  To do so within so few posts could even be the all time record. The maxim was and always will be think before you type, a concept clearly beyond your intelect [sic] and abilities. Feel free to rant there as incoherently as you already do! Feel free also to send as many abusive replies as you see fit, I do not mind I will never have to read them or any of the other tripe you are capable of regurgitating. Indeed you were the weakest link!"

--I am puzzled why he is keeps making hostile posts to threads I started when he previously swore he was going to ignore me. Come on UV, keep your word. Also if you are going to belittle someone's intellect, it would be a good idea to spell intellect correctly, and not "intelect", don't you think?

--And so beware gentle reader, if you have the temerity to politely disagree with UV, you may receive in reply a post like the one below:

"Your other option, of course, would be to spontaneously combust, hell why not do it as a video post, while I will not be able to see it I am sure I will hear about it when it happens. :-)"

--It would appear our avuncular curmudgeon is of at least two minds about ignoring my posts. For some reason he cannot resist the urge to opine in a hostile fashion to posts I make which do not mention him in any way.

--Back on topic, as I have said before Rolf Harris is much loved by Americans, and, when I was a boy, was Australia's unofficial ambassador. When ever Ambassador Harris would tour the USA, he would always have to sing "Waltzing Matilda". Rolf's version of the "Unofficial Australian National Anthem", "Waltzing Matilda", with explanation is the the only reason we have any idea at all what is going on in this beautiful song.

--Those of you from down under are no doubt familiar with all this, but for those of you (especially younger folks) not from the Land Of Oz, please see the below link for a recording of Rolf's "Waltzing Matilda" along with some excellent pictures of native wildlife. Cheers.

“Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice." H.L. Mencken

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:35:52 pm by SgtRock »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »
Rolf Harris was much loved by Americans
To the best of my knowledge, Rolf is still living. "Was" seems an unfortunate choice of words  :)

As to the unfortunate kerfuffle above, I merely pointed out in a light hearted way that the Jake The Peg routine was filmed at the BBC, in London, England, the country where Rolf was living both then and now. The outbreak of three-leggedism was not therefore "in" the land down-under, but "in" the land up top. I'm sorry you took that so seriously.

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:00 pm »
Dear IanB:

--I regret that my careless use of the word was, created the inadvertent impression that our dear Rolf had gone to keep company with the swagman of the song. I have corrected the post, and I thank you for pointing out the unfortunate connotation.

--Now, regarding the "unfortunate kerfuffle". It is clear to anyone, as it was to me, that the clip was from BBC, (the BBC logo being posted prominently on the clip itself) and not ABC (the Australian one). Not to put too fine a point one it, but, my thinly premised satire presumed that the polypedalism of both Rolf and the unfortunate toady were of a congenital nature and not a result of what network they appeared on. Thus the unfortunate congenital defect of Rolf and the unlucky amphibian would have occured in the land down under, as I said.

--When you are not out hunting that rolling donut, you might want to take a look at the very much alive Rolf Harris (rumors of his death being highly exaggerated), at an exhibition of his paintings from a couple of days ago. Mr. Harris appears to have many years left, and his paintings are first rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/artvideo/8818085/Rolf-Harris-why-I-love-painting-London.html

"The telegraph is a kind of a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Radio operates the same way, except there is no cat." Albert Einstein

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf