Author Topic: Lab NBN Installed!  (Read 15627 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Lab NBN Installed!
« on: August 21, 2017, 12:34:52 am »
FINALLY!

A picture tells a thousand words...

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: Lab NBN Installed!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:38:02 am »
I like the ping time. Faster speed then my wired connection at home. Yet my cellphone is still faster - something odd about that.
VE7FM

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:56:08 am »
$440 - $100 = $340 savings ??!! What a BONUS !! Any other "hidden" charges?
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:59:14 am »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:00:02 am »
$440 - $100 = $340 savings ??!! What a BONUS !! Any other "hidden" charges?

Between both offices I will be saving over $500/month!
No other hidden charges, month by month plan.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:56:57 am »
Direct Ethernet connection is up:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:58:48 am »
And my old ISP have hit me with a 30day cancellation clause, so $400 down the hole. And they want the VDSL modem back!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:59:27 am »
Well, you'll recoup more than that from the first month's savings ... and as for the modem - I would have no problems handing it back.

You're not going to miss it, are you???

Offline UpLateGeek

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 07:35:02 am »
(In case you missed my post on the video)

Business-grade services are allegedly coming Q4 2017, at least according to the current product roadmap: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/Integrated-Product-Roadmap.pdf

And I say "allegedly" because the roadmap notes they've been delayed, and have scheduled "coming soon" on the roadmap for many years. Not to mention the business-grade NTD and high-speed symmetric AVCs are scheduled for "2019+".

Bill Morrow and Mitch Fifeld will spout off at anyone about how great they are for keeping the nbn(tm) running on schedule, but completely ignore the fact that they've missed so many deadlines on the product roadmap, with some delayed for years! Seriously, we're being duped so badly by those guys.?

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
I hate how the 20/20 speedtest says "87% faster than the rest of Australia"

Damn.. |O

But good on you that you've double the upload!

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 11:37:43 am »
And my old ISP have hit me with a 30day cancellation clause, so $400 down the hole. And they want the VDSL modem back!

They want the modem back?! Those things are literally given away here.

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:47:44 am »
Seems like a reasonable price for that speed and type of contract. Agree that it is madness that business customers can not pay for a Plus version with guaranteed grade of service etc...

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 02:11:06 pm »
And they want the VDSL modem back!
Teardown first?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 03:07:23 pm »
And they want the VDSL modem back!
Teardown first?  ;)

I know that's tongue-in-cheek ... but I can imagine the ISP billing Dave for the original RRP on the thing if he did.

Offline level3

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 08:58:45 pm »
In video you mentioned that you can join 4 connection with router to get 4x times speed. This is actually impossible for single session. Meaning that you will get 400meg only when downloading/uploading with multiple streams like example with torrents, but with single session, lats say youtube upload, you will be limited to speed on single connection. Trust me, I'm Cisco CCIE SP engineer :)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »
In video you mentioned that you can join 4 connection with router to get 4x times speed. This is actually impossible for single session. Meaning that you will get 400meg only when downloading/uploading with multiple streams like example with torrents, but with single session, lats say youtube upload, you will be limited to speed on single connection. Trust me, I'm Cisco CCIE SP engineer :)

Not quite impossible, just requires a little more than just 4 random connections and a router. Nothing stopping 4 specific connections being bonded.

Offline level3

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »
Not quite impossible, just requires a little more than just 4 random connections and a router. Nothing stopping 4 specific connections being bonded.
Sounds good, doesn't work :) Modern routers and switches do not support per packet load balancing, not only because it make no sense but also because it creates more problems than it solves. But even with old shitty router and per packet load balancing, carrier (especially big ones ) will never customise something which is builded base on standard just to satisfy one user.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 12:34:27 am »
Sounds good, doesn't work :) Modern routers and switches do not support per packet load balancing, not only because it make no sense but also because it creates more problems than it solves. But even with old shitty router and per packet load balancing, carrier (especially big ones ) will never customise something which is builded base on standard just to satisfy one user.

Well, speaking as the man who used to do exactly this for his customers when he ran the network for several ISPs: It's trivial to do, for most ISP's setups it is just adding a few lines in a RADIUS file. It only gets tricky if you're trying to bond connections that land on different LNSs, and even that is doable. Never really had any problems with it and certainly never found any kit that had the physical line support for it (i.e. mutliple ADSL lines or similar) that couldn't bond a few PPPoATM sessions together and balance load across them.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:53:38 pm »
Nice!  We got FTTH here years back, was super excited.  Surprised we even got it here at all TBH.  Seems that often only the big cities get the good stuff.  Ours uses same/similar equipment, made by Alcatel-Lucent. In theory it should be able to do gigabit asymmetrical (as in, the equipment itself supports it).  My ISP provides up to 250mbps down, I'm on a 50/30 plan.  The way it was explained to me, they have about 64 customers on a single strand of fibre from the central office, then there is a neighborhood cabinet that splits it passively (like a prism of sorts) into different wavelengths going to different customers in that area. The ONT itself has no laser, it actually bounces back the light to the CO to transmit, this is part of why it's asymmetrical, I guess the way it works is there is a time slot for download and one for upload. But not 100% sure.  I was not involved in the setup but I kinda saw all the equipment go in as I work in the CO and I always like to poke my nose in that stuff and ask questions.  :P

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 11:40:54 pm »

Yep, could be interesting for Him if he used some kind of multi-threaded youtube upload.
On a good router things like webcams could be moved to a specific line.

David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »

Ok, thanks.
I'm lead to believe there is a way to do this though with hardware bonding?
(Not that I plan too, 100M/40M is plenty)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:48 am »

Ok, thanks.
I'm lead to believe there is a way to do this though with hardware bonding?
(Not that I plan too, 100M/40M is plenty)

Not hardware per se, but MPPP, Multilink Point-to-Point Protocol. Depending on the technology connecting you to your ISP your 'session' is most probably carried in a PPP session (i.e. PPPoATM, PPPoE etc.). Multilink PPP allows several PPP sessions to be co-ordinated and packets to be reverse multiplexed over several sessions simultaneously creating one over-arching session.

You could do this in hardware if you really needed to but the packet steering is normally done in software, handing packet buffers off to hardware to do the actual transmission/reception. The limit that determines whether you'd need to hand this off to hardware is in terms of how many packets per second you need to switch, as opposed to how many bytes per second. That is, you can handle the switching with a processor that would be swamped by trying to work at 'wire speed' because it's only working at packet rates that are ~1000 lower than wire rates.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:02 am »
Nice!  We got FTTH here years back, was super excited.  Surprised we even got it here at all TBH.  Seems that often only the big cities get the good stuff.  Ours uses same/similar equipment, made by Alcatel-Lucent. In theory it should be able to do gigabit asymmetrical (as in, the equipment itself supports it).  My ISP provides up to 250mbps down, I'm on a 50/30 plan.  The way it was explained to me, they have about 64 customers on a single strand of fibre from the central office, then there is a neighborhood cabinet that splits it passively (like a prism of sorts) into different wavelengths going to different customers in that area. The ONT itself has no laser, it actually bounces back the light to the CO to transmit, this is part of why it's asymmetrical, I guess the way it works is there is a time slot for download and one for upload. But not 100% sure.  I was not involved in the setup but I kinda saw all the equipment go in as I work in the CO and I always like to poke my nose in that stuff and ask questions.  :P

That's pretty smart, saves massive amount of power on laser transmitters. Wonder what the modulator is made of though, definitely not your average LCD in front of a mirror.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 11:23:36 am »
That's pretty smart, saves massive amount of power on laser transmitters. Wonder what the modulator is made of though, definitely not your average LCD in front of a mirror.

The lasers are modulated directly. It makes for a fun bit of circuit design as a laser essentially wants a constant current drive and you want to turn it off and on a billion times a second and still have phase jitter measured in 10s of picoseconds. Definitely one of those jobs, like SMPS design, that you give to people who do it on a daily basis.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »
Well,now you have 3x the speed for 2x the money, compared to my subscription.
I would happily take that deal, unfortunately, there is only VDSL here. Like, since 1950 they did not manage to install a new wire in the most densely populated part of the world.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf