Author Topic: Laser cutting single line fonts  (Read 9066 times)

Offline MrOmnosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • BE in Electronics and Communication
Laser cutting single line fonts
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
Hi, everyone!! I am looking to cut something like below with a laser cutter.

I am using Adobe Illustrator for designing purposes but I have run into a problem. I want a single line cut as seen above but the font has an enclosing stroke like an outline which means, laser will be cutting around the letter.

But I want a single line stroke so laser will cut only once, similar to when writing with a pen. I want to technically 'write' with the laser.

I also want the letters like R, O and A to be edited such that they don't make a hole which doesn't look good. I thought I would edit the font in FontForge. 

So, I found some constant stoke fonts from here http://imajeenyus.com/computer/20150110_single_line_fonts/index.shtml

But they say, you can't be directly used to create a toolpath.

Does anyone how to create toolpath with these fonts.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:11:47 am by MrOmnos »

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Laser cutting single line fonts
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
The obvious solution would be to trace the letters with lines. It'll take some work, but gives a lot of control. You won't change the fonts much due to their constant width stroke nature.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:37 am »
I am also thinking that but I am not frequent user of Illustrator so I am afraid I am going to mess it up. Does illustrator have any tool to do it, are there any scripts that do it. If not I guess I will have to do it myself.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:24 am »
I am also thinking that but I am not frequent user of Illustrator so I am afraid I am going to mess it up. Does illustrator have any tool to do it, are there any scripts that do it. If not I guess I will have to do it myself.
As far as I know it can trace images, but will always end up with a polygon doing so. That doesn't improve your sitation. I stand to be corrected, as I haven't worked with the very latest tools that come with Illustrator.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:51:55 pm »
Is there any other design programs that I can use for this which has default single vector fonts which would remove all this hassle?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:57:01 pm »
Is there any other design programs that I can use for this which has default single vector fonts which would remove all this hassle?
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you use the single line fonts that can be found on the page you screenshotted before? Those seem to fit your bill.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you use the single line fonts that can be found on the page you screenshotted before? Those seem to fit your bill.

Turns out Illustrator has something against single line fonts. I downloaded one called "Machine Tool Gothic" but when I type it in Illustrator this is what it looks like

This is what it should look like
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:24:06 pm by MrOmnos »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 07:28:43 pm »
Spend 20mins learning how to the use the Pen tool (bezier curves). You're just going to have to redraw the letters yourself. Good news is you can easily modify some trickier curves to be easier to cut.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline 691175002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
CAD software frequently has features for this since most manufacturing processes prefer to work with "stick fonts" or through the center of a fonts area.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »
How are you going from Illustrator to your laser engraver machine code? Maybe F-Engrave will work. The "Normal" font appears to be a single stroke font and you can download some others for it.

http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:52:04 pm »
Turns out Illustrator has something against single line fonts. I downloaded one called "Machine Tool Gothic" but when I type it in Illustrator this is what it looks like

This is what it should look like

Looks like Illustrator is trying to fill what it thinks is a polygon.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »
Hi, so my school has solid works and I started working on it. Any one here familiar with solid works?

What I am doing is sketching a center line at equal intervals with equal spacing and using it to align the text. I center aligned the text and then tried using letter spacing to align the text with above text but increasing letter spacing is not that precise with 10% being the lowest increment you can make. I am new to slid works so, I don't know other way to do it. How do I do it?

How do I align those letters?

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:55 pm »
Convert the text to paths and set the line width to 0.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 05:56:22 am »
Thanks guys, I figured it out. I did it in solidworks. Solid Works has a single vector font built in called OLF SimpleSans. I converted my drawing on solidworks to dxf file and then imported in Illustrator. In illustrator I edited the font paths a bit so that that holes don't fall out when cut.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 11:21:27 pm »
All the vector font formats used these days are outline fonts. The formats do not have any way to be stroke-based vector fonts (what you’d want for this), since the formats are not designed for it. The text rendering engines used by all our OSes are designed for outline fonts.

The exception is the METAFONT format originally used with the TeX layout system. But because everything else uses outline fonts, almost no fonts were created in METAFONT format, which is why so many texts produced with TeX use the same few fonts. (TeX can also use PostScript fonts, and TrueType and OpenType with add-ons.) It’s fairly trivial to convert a stroke-based font to an outline font, but the reverse is damned near impossible.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 06:53:37 am »
Thanks, Solidworks supports single line fonts and Rhino also supports. Adobe softwares don't. So, if anyone looking to work with single line fonts, use solidworks or Rhino.

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 09:36:48 am »
Someone has created some single line TTF fonts for CamBam : http://www.mrrace.com/CamBam_Fonts/

Offline Dahlia

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:35 pm »
Hello,
I needed a true single line font for a project I was doing and found a single line vector drawn alphabet in an svg file that worked great!  You can't type these letters, but you instead have to place them in your drawing.  I found it on Etsy at a shop called "my brand of weird."  It's a fast machine cutting vector drawn "font"
I found this after scouring the internet for hours. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf