Author Topic: Leaking AA and AAA batteries  (Read 46168 times)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: Leaking AA and AAA batteries
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2018, 10:33:48 pm »
As a replacement for 9 volt alkaline NiMH is okay, but the ones I've tried have pretty low capacity. Li-ion is much closer to alkaline for actual run time.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2018, 10:36:16 pm »
Yeah no argument there, I've found NiMH to be adequate for my DMMs though, they last a fairly long time either way.

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2018, 05:54:39 am »
I recently opened a piece of test gear that runs on 4 D size Duracell Alkalines. It had not been switched on for at least 10 years. The cells had use by date 2002. They had not leaked at all, even though they were  flat.
Glenn

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2018, 05:58:31 am »
The D cells seem to be quite robust. When we were cleaning out my partner's grandfather's place after he passed away I found a Pay n Save bag from the 80s with a package of Energizer D cells from the 80s that were leaking but that's the only time I can recall seeing D size alkalines leak. I haven't seen many C cells leak either, the AA's are the worst by a long shot, followed by AAA.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2018, 09:58:12 am »
I wish the D cells in my Maglites knew they didn't leak. I suspect there are two reasons you haven't seen as many leaking D cells.  First, there are far fewer of them used.  I probably have ten to twenty pieces of equipment using AA or AAA for every one that uses D size.  Secondly, that equipment tends not to put a parasitic load on the batteries.  It is off, not on standby.  As noted previously, batteries are far more likely to leak when drained flat.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2018, 02:46:21 pm »
I have the impression that D cells leak less as well but, as CatalinaWOW mentioned, it may be a numbers game. However, the D cells on my flashlights take much more abuse than the pampered AAs or AAAs, with the bent top notches due to the stress from the flashlights springs and the mechanical hits that naturally happen with them (my twin 5 year olds love to play with them, with the occasional bump and fall).

To me, AAs and AAAs equally leak.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2018, 07:14:14 pm »
A large part of it probably is numbers, I haven't done extensive testing. About the only thing I use D batteries in are the virtual walls for my Roomba, they last quite a long time and are eventually drained completely flat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf