Author Topic: Leaking AA and AAA batteries  (Read 46199 times)

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Re: Leaking AA and AAA batteries
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:11 am »

I have a LaCrosse atomic clock that gives a low battery indication at about 1.4 volts. It is really annoying. I run it with lithiums, and I have been seriously thinking about making a mains powered battery eliminator for it so I don't have to keep replacing the battery.

Depending on how they monitor voltage it might be easier to jigger the monitor circuit.

Problem is they lose receiving strength when the voltage drops below a certain point, that's why they do it. If you live far away from WWV like I do you it's noticeable.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
Alkalines leaking used to be rare.

One advantage of NiMh is that the contents are not nearly as corrosive, so if they do leak it generally doesn't do any great harm.

Lithium don't leak often but the contents are very corrosive. Can even damage stainless steel.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 01:53:13 pm »

One advantage of NiMh is that the contents are not nearly as corrosive, so if they do leak it generally doesn't do any great harm.

Lithium don't leak often but the contents are very corrosive. Can even damage stainless steel.

I've never had a lithium leak. Not once! EVs are full of them, did you ever hear about them leaking? Not me, my EV has never had a leaking Lithium. Panasonic 18650's, never had a leak.

NiMH, 1,2 volts, Lithium 1.5 volts.

I just bought 50 AA Lithiums on Ebay, good through 2037 for $64. Problem solved.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:24 pm »
Duracell's main advertising push in the early days of alkaline cells was not "more capacity than  carbon zinc". It was "doesn't leak like carbon zinc". Times have changed.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
I've never had a lithium leak. Not once! EVs are full of them, did you ever hear about them leaking? Not me, my EV has never had a leaking Lithium. Panasonic 18650's, never had a leak.

I think it's time to roll out the old saw:
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Just because you personally have never seen a Lithium battery leak doesn't mean that they don't.

I've seen several leaking CR2032s.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »

I just bought 50 AA Lithiums on Ebay, good through 2037 for $64. Problem solved.

Lithium 1.5v non rechargeable are quite different than Li-Ion or LiPo rechargeable used in EVs.

But I've seen Lithium leak as well .

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2017, 05:12:06 pm »

I think it's time to roll out the old saw:
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Just because you personally have never seen a Lithium battery leak doesn't mean that they don't.

I've seen several leaking CR2032s.

That may be brand related. I've not had a leaking 2032 either. Got pics?

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:18 pm »

Lithium 1.5v non rechargeable are quite different than Li-Ion or LiPo rechargeable used in EVs.

But I've seen Lithium leak as well .

So, you're using Alks and checking them every month? That's not for me.

I just bought 50 lithiums, if they leak I'll post the pics. Right now I'll go by the Energizer data sheet which seems to be stronger for Lithiums over Alks.

At 3500 maH and $1.28 a piece I'll take my chances, can't be any worse than Duracell which I figure 80 to 90% have leaked.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2017, 07:15:38 pm »
Thats not what I said.

I'm saying that just because EV Lithium ION haven't leaked doesn't mean a completely different type of lithium battery won't leak.

I don't have any thing left that has to have 1.5V anyway, anything I have runs on NiMH just fine, and I've had those leak too.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:14 pm »
Thats not what I said.

I'm saying that just because EV Lithium ION haven't leaked doesn't mean a completely different type of lithium battery won't leak.

I don't have any thing left that has to have 1.5V anyway, anything I have runs on NiMH just fine, and I've had those leak too.

It also doesn't mean they will. I like half full cups. You're using NiMH and you know they leak so what's your solution? Check your batteries often? Again, I don't want to do that, I'm old I forget!

I still have a better chance with a battery that doesn't gas and I still have several things that run 1.5V. Is anyone sure they will leak? Pics?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:32:32 pm by Robaroni »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:39 pm »
Yes, we are sure they will leak, I as other said have seen them leak.

I simply have a todo spreadsheet that reminds me to check things each year.  Batteries, first aid stuff, etc

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
Yes, we are sure they will leak, I as other said have seen them leak.

I simply have a todo spreadsheet that reminds me to check things each year.  Batteries, first aid stuff, etc

That's anecdotal. Which brands, which batteries? Energizer lithiums? Pics?

You put all your batteries in at the same time?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 11:22:51 pm »

I still have a better chance with a battery that doesn't gas and I still have several things that run 1.5V. Is anyone sure they will leak? Pics?

You seem to have an unnatural obsession with pictures. What's up? Do you think we're all bearded hipsters who photograph every flat white? Most people who find a leaking battery don't think "I must photograph this for posterity or anybody who might distrust my memory of it" they think "Yuck!" and then bin the battery and get on with cleaning out the battery compartment.

Or do you just have a (very) strange fetish for leaking battery photographs?  I haven't got any, but I might be able to manage a photo of a couple of AAs strapped into a custom made leather battery holster - that do? :)

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2017, 12:33:01 am »

You seem to have an unnatural obsession with pictures. What's up? Do you think we're all bearded hipsters who photograph every flat white? Most people who find a leaking battery don't think "I must photograph this for posterity or anybody who might distrust my memory of it" they think "Yuck!" and then bin the battery and get on with cleaning out the battery compartment.

Or do you just have a (very) strange fetish for leaking battery photographs?  I haven't got any, but I might be able to manage a photo of a couple of AAs strapped into a custom made leather battery holster - that do? :)

I photographed them for credit from Duracell. If I have a piece of damaged equipment from a battery I do photograph it and send it to the manifacturer, yes.

No thanks on the photos, that won't help with my leaking battery problem. Why do you ask, have photos of batteries strapped to a leather holster fetish? Send them to young ladies over the internet, do you?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2017, 01:03:07 am »
No thanks on the photos, that won't help with my leaking battery problem. Why do you ask, have photos of batteries strapped to a leather holster fetish? Send them to young ladies over the internet, do you?

No, I'm just an obliging chap. I happen to have some batteries in a leather holster, and if one had a battery fetish I'm sure leather would make it better - leather seems to be a de rigueur adjunct to most fetishes.  If it'd been good for you, it wouldn't have hurt me to take a snap or two. As AvE says, "I don't judge". And if someone is going to have a battery fetish, I somehow suspect it's not likely to be young ladies on the internet, more likely something in the shape of a pimply male physics undergrad.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2017, 01:22:33 am »
I'd be very wary of males with battery fetishes.  That's rapidly moving into NSFW territory and possible ER visits for battery extraction, with a risk of serious injuries or even death due to electrolysis induced tissue necrosis. 

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2017, 03:51:00 am »
I think I am now learning things I didn't want to know.  About batteries and many other things.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »
I did a search for images of leaking lithium batteries and I didn't see any AA energizers in the pics so maybe they hold up. I imagine if you abuse them you might have problems, Energizer does mention this.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2018, 12:30:15 am »
I take batteries out of anything valuable, if I'm not going to be using it for a while. My Fluke non-contact voltage detector was ruined by leaky batteries. I probably used it once a year. So I take the batteries out until I need to use it. Especially if they don't make the device any longer.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:38 pm »
I’ve had a supermarket purchased Duracell AA alkaline leak in a device this year, which corroded the terminal enough to prevent it working at all.
Thankfully it was able to be repaired with a little scraping.

Also, the first batch of those Energizer eco friendly batteries had one that just got hot with no explanation.
That was also an AA in series with a number of them. I won’t use those again.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2018, 06:51:49 am »
I brought a lot of Duracell batteries in the past and kept most of them in storage and some started to leak and some were flat well before their expiry date. I got them from the local supermarket. I don't buy them anymore.

I use Industrial Duracell's and I have been buying them for torches and lights and never had one leak before.
Maybe they are better sealed.

I prefer using NiMH round cells for the most important things that use up more power.

I have banks of Ansmann batteries but they're not 2850mah as advertised and I knew that when I brought them. I don't know why they bother putting that figure on it. When I got them new six years ago they ranged between 2400 to 2500 on charge and discharge.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »
I've had so many alkaline batteries leak that I've lost count. I use NiMH in everything now, haven't had one leak yet. The only Nixx batteries I've ever seen leak were >30 years old.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
Isn't the voltage lower in hydroxides?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:09 pm »
Nickel based rechargeables have a slightly lower cell voltage but it's not an issue in most applications.

Offline Gary350zTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2018, 09:03:52 pm »
Isn't the voltage lower in hydroxides?
Nominal voltage alkalines: ~1.5V
Nominal voltage NiMH: ~1.2V

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf