Author Topic: LED lit footpaths to protect zombies from themselves  (Read 5249 times)

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: Iwanushka, BrianHG

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: LED lit footpaths to protect zombies from themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:20 am »
Saw this tonight on "The Project" It appears to have been installed by the same council that went to the trouble of placing skirts on the pedestrian walk/dont walk figures you see at traffic lights.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:03:59 am »
They have illuminated studs on the new cycle path near where I live. They're a deep blue colour which is easy to see in low light levels, without being too bright. I think they're a good idea, especially as some motorists don't dip their lights and dazzle cyclists.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:34 pm »
If that's not enough of a "What the...", up here in Sydney, there is this "hard hitting" Ad being aired on TV in the later evening time slot...

https://youtu.be/wIIZR8b0lbM

That we have gone to this is a serious indictment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:51:47 pm by Brumby »

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
There is becoming an endless list of I CAN STOP DRAGGING MY FEET WHEN WALKING = so make the ground perfectly flat for me ,
I CAN NOT PARALLEL PARK = so make the car park for me ,
I CAN NOT BE BOTHERED TO LOOK IF THE TOYLET SEAT IS DOWN = so leave down for me - EVEN THOUGH I WILL NOT LEAVE IT UP FOR YOU ,
LIFE IS HAZARDOUS = ban it .
The last number of generations have a high percentage of just plain spoiled brats , that can not do for them selfs and want it done for them .
If you do not learn than you should not be allowed to whatever - drivers license etc.
Oh and when I do pay for some else to do for me , you must have an insured truck , your own tools , insurance , contractors license , be able to pull permits and I AM ONLY WILLING TO PAY $8 AN HOUR
I can not afford the 2 cents worth , because of above , so I offer this as my 1/4 of a cent worth  ;)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:22:08 pm »
 I only WISH we could have commercials like that in the US - especially like the Aussie ones for railroad crossing safety. Maybe it would wake some people up.

A few years ago the local mall was in a popular viral video - a woman walking along staring at her phone tripped right over the raised (about a foot high) border around one of the fountains and fell in. Nothing injured except her pride, especially when the security camera footage made it to YouTube.

Only $120K to trial this for a year. And HOW MUCH did Solar Roadways get to build what are mostly just LED disco floor tiles which DON'T work half the time?

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:23:35 pm »
I CAN NOT ... so make the ...

If we took you view you wouldn't be reading EEVblog in a browser. If we were lucky we might type a command into a CLI and see a single unthreaded comment (no quotes in it) in response. Or you might be writing down the letters as you decode them from morse...

Like it or not, being 'lazy' drives progress and makes the world a better place, simpler and safer to navigate.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:13 am »
There is becoming an endless list of I CAN STOP DRAGGING MY FEET WHEN WALKING = so make the ground perfectly flat for me ,
I CAN NOT PARALLEL PARK = so make the car park for me ,
I can parallel park, but I hate doing so, as it annoys other road users with someone "propping" in front of them & farting about.
Of course, this would not be solved by letting the car "fart about" for me! ;D
I CAN NOT BE BOTHERED TO LOOK IF THE TOYLET SEAT IS DOWN = so leave down for me - EVEN THOUGH I WILL NOT LEAVE IT UP FOR YOU ,

I ,on the other hand,find it amazing that others of my sex seem to think that leaving the "dunny seat" up is some sort of 'badge of office".
Hell, 30 or so % of the time, I go there for "number twos", so need the seat down myself.

Maybe there is a sub-species of blokes who get through life with only peeing.
I don't know what they do with the other stuff-------blow it away in dust or something! ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 12:27:09 am »
I ,on the other hand,find it amazing that others of my sex seem to think that leaving the "dunny seat" up is some sort of 'badge of office".

I thought that was the accepted norm 'down under' so as to make it easier to check for nadger biting spiders before you sat down.

Maybe there is a sub-species of blokes who get through life with only peeing.

There are, they're called "management" and they're full of ...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:52:14 pm »
And what about when the lights fail to work and someone gets run over? Of course it will be the fault of everyone else but the pedestrian who didn't look where he/she was going.

:palm:

The population is getting stupider much faster than I originally thought.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:32:45 am »
Stupidity should be painful and the Darwin award isn’t awarded to enough stupid people. There seems to be more and more people that think they are “special” and that common sense is for someone else. 
These people think they are above the basic rules of life which I think the Dali Lama put it in the simplest possible way, “Always follow the three R’s; Respect yourself, Respect others and take Responsibility for your actions.”
I don’t think we should be paying taxpayer money to protect those who disregard their own safety and we don’t need lawyers making more and more laws that protect those with wanton disregard for safety and allow them to seek huge litigation settlements.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 12:58:37 am »
I don’t think we should be paying taxpayer money to protect those who disregard their own safety

I think we have to spend some or, after a generation of males have passed through the 17-21 year age band, we won't have any males left.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 01:30:22 am »
I don’t think we should be paying taxpayer money to protect those who disregard their own safety

I think we have to spend some or, after a generation of males have passed through the 17-21 year age band, we won't have any males left.  :)

I wouldn't go so far as say "any" males left; it could be just what is needed to slow down the population growth and save the planet with the side benefit of the remaining population not being as stupid.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:47 am »
I say make them green all the time.  Call them Darwin lights.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Iwanushka

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:48:43 am »
I say make them green all the time.  Call them Darwin lights.  :-DD

You have an evil mind.....

I like it.   :D

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »
I would prefer if lights where random, that would be more fun, 'cause someone might notice that they stay green and try to fix them too soon... :-DD
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 05:35:03 am »
Yeah would also be funny to see people stopped when they can really go.  :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 07:02:44 pm »
I think I've written this before, but I believe our continuous efforts to thwart Darwin in his efforts to add chlorine to the gene pool are contributing to the dumbing down of society as a whole.  Eliminate stupid warning labels (Do not use the hair dryer in the shower?  Really?   :palm:  'Do Not Eat' on the silica gel packet packed with the stereo receiver.  Seriously?  Are there people who open their new piece of A/V gear and think "oh, awesome - they included a snack in here too!"?!?  :palm: :palm: ) and let evolution run its course.  We'll be stronger as a species as a result.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:35 am »
I think I've written this before, but I believe our continuous efforts to thwart Darwin in his efforts to add chlorine to the gene pool are contributing to the dumbing down of society as a whole.  Eliminate stupid warning labels (Do not use the hair dryer in the shower?  Really?   :palm:  'Do Not Eat' on the silica gel packet packed with the stereo receiver.  Seriously?  Are there people who open their new piece of A/V gear and think "oh, awesome - they included a snack in here too!"?!?  :palm: :palm: ) and let evolution run its course.  We'll be stronger as a species as a result.

-Pat

Yep I agree.  We also need to get rid of the ridiculous "liability" stuff.  You should not be able to sue over idiotic stuff.  A lot of these stupid labels are there because the companies have to protect themselves from lawsuits. It's the same reason why restaurants or grocery stores can't give food to the poor, and lot of stuff like this.  Get rid of this whole liability crap, and treat stuff on a case per case basis only if it has merit.   The fact that you can sue for every little thing is why we can't have nice things.

The following users thanked this post: Iwanushka, Cubdriver

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:06:05 am »
 Every time you see some really out there warning, you have to think, who was stupid enough to actually do that, because they didn't just make manufacturers apply these labels just in case, they are there because someone did whatever it tells you not to and got hurt.
 What gets me is when how a company is still liable when the user REMOVES all safety gear and gets hurt. Those cases shouldn't even reach a judge.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 02:25:40 am »
We are in a nanny state here. It is surprising the government has not considered fining pedestrians for looking at a mobile phone whilst walking. $50 for every offence will be another cash cow for our self-serving state government. No LEDs in the ground needed. You cannot hold and use mobile phone whilst driving here - it attracts a big fine of several hundred dollars. Car crashes can have other victims, but so can pedestrian accidents such as family and friends, other pedestrians who saw the accident, the driver, the people who have to collect the entrails to put into a bucket.

Ham radio operators are exempt. They are permitted to use a microphone or a HT whilst driving. But we are a rarity. Ham's poor cousin the CB'er, is extinct, so there are very few people using microphones whilst driving. A friend was pulled over last year by an arrogant cop who accused him of using a mobile phone and booked him, when he was clearly using a radio mic. My friend told the cop he will get the phone records to prove he was not using the phone at the time, ready to defend himself in court. Oddly enough, my friend never received the fine or a summons.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:38:39 am by VK3DRB »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 05:41:16 am »
If I were a judge, a lot of those idiotic cases would be dismissed with prejudice (and a strong desire to give both the plaintiff and his or her attorney a good solid smack upside their heads with a ball peen hammer.) 

Instead, we reward (and thereby encourage) stupidity. 

I sincerely wish that companies would fight frivolous lawsuits tooth and nail.  The defense might cost them in the short term, but long term might save money by ultimately deterring such lawsuits.  The attorneys now know that they can sue for big bucks, and corporations will often settle out of court for some smaller amount to make them go away.  Only they don't go away.  They see easy money and come back again and again for more.  Death by a thousand cuts.  Money is parasitically siphoned off from the earners, innovation is stifled and the only ones who benefit are the ambulance chasers.  Fight the suits to the bitter end, make them work their asses off for anything they manage to get, and try to keep them from getting anything.  Do that enough and the return won't be worth the effort, and perhaps the jackets will go elsewhere or begin to die off.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf