Author Topic: Let's talk about leaking batteries.  (Read 8885 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Let's talk about leaking batteries.
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:24:06 am »
Is it just me, or do modern Duracell/Energizer batteries leak more often than ones from years past?  This failure mode seems to be on the increase... do others see it that way too?  If so... why?

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Let's talk about leaking batteries.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:36 am »
Enough said -> YARA ....  >:(

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:40:52 am »
Never seen an Energizer leak, but I've seen more than two cases (maybe 3 or 4) of Duracell/Procell leak.

Pic worth thousand words ...

These shots were taken in 2013 .. watch the expiration date.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:44:24 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
I've had energizers piss all over me before...little bastards... :rant:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:38:39 pm »
Duracell, Energizer, etc.  Yup, have had them all leak.  They are forbidden in my household now.   >:(

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:36 am »
Gone over to Lithium and Eneloops (or Ikea Ladda LSD NiMH - which are out of the same Eneloop factory by all accounts).
No more alkalines here, having said that, Panasonic and Sony alkalines have never leaked but I'm not willing to test them further.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 01:32:11 am »
In Australia, we have federal laws which protect consumers from faulty and unsafe products or products which aren't of reasonable quality or durability. This includes batteries which leak and damage your devices.

Under Australian consumer law, you can seek compensation for damage or loss caused by leaking batteries direct from the manufacturer of the faulty batteries. The manufacturer of the faulty product is in breach of the Australian consumer law if they fail to provide a reasonable remedy.

However in other countries where these kinds of consumer protections are diluted or non-existent, you'll probably find that most of the big manufacturers such as Energiser and Duracell have a "No Leak Guarantee" where they repair or replace your damaged product at their expense.

Some examples of these warranties:

Energiser USA: Energizer will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by leakage from Energizer MAX® Alkaline batteries either during the life of the battery or within two years following the full use of the battery.

Duracell USA/Canada: Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option.

Sure, it's not ideal when batteries leak, but you shouldn't be copping the bill for damage to your gear, put the responsibility back on the battery manufacturer. (Side note: I would suggest that using a Batteriser/Batteroo with your batteries would void any consumer guarantees or warranties since it's probably considered "misuse" or "modification", so keep Batterisers/Batteroos away from batteries or any devices you care about!)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:38:05 am by Halcyon »

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 02:00:03 am »
Worth noting that when using alkalines as a series battery pack, if one battery goes flat before the others it will start to get reverse charged and that drastically increases its chance of leaking. In high current devices the effect is much more noticeable. Ever noticed how batteries tend to leak in flashlights and motorised toys and not so much in wallclocks and TV remotes? Significant reverse charging can only occur when the pack is connected to a low impedance load.

Therefore if you want to avoid leaks it might be worth load testing the batteries to rule out any duds before installing them as a series pack, and immediately removing the batteries as soon as the pack shows signs of becoming flat. Never mix and match brands/batches of batteries or mix fresh with old batteries either.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:11:02 am by TMM »

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 02:29:08 am »
I've often wondered why they always put that warning on packs not to mix new/old batteries and those of different brands/types. Thanks TMM, very informative!

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 02:37:27 am »
Is it just me, or do modern Duracell/Energizer batteries leak more often than ones from years past?  This failure mode seems to be on the increase... do others see it that way too?  If so... why?

This question is often asked, and as I understand it the answer is to do with the changing the formulation for higher power output. Every change that increases the marketing buzzwords on the label like "super extra ultra max power" is also a change that increases the propensity to leak.

If you want to reduce the probability of leaks, buy inexpensive batteries without extravagant claims, brands such as Sunbeam, Kodak, Sony, Fuji, and so on. These will have the extra benefit of being vastly cheaper, too.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 03:50:32 am »
Duracell alkaline batteries are garbage, they have leaked in most of my gear.
After Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway bought them from Proctor and Gamble, it's been much worse past few years.
I think it's mergers and acquisitions and cost cutting that is lowering quality.

It's also gong show with their manufacturing:
Made in USA
Product of USA
Assembled in USA
Made in Malaysia

The USA ones leak just as much, so I'm not sure what happened. Cheaper seals perhaps.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 04:03:32 am »
Some stores also stock "parallel" or "grey" imports, in other words, genuine products but made in different factories for different markets which might not conform to the same standards or product rules. It's quite possible that batteries aimed at other markets leak more often than those developed for Australian markets (for example).

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 04:15:26 am »
I've had alkalines of nearly every brand leak, and it seems to be much worse in recent years, I've heard rumors it's to do with the changes required to make them mercury free. I suspect it's also a matter of cost reductions.

Sure the reputable brands will "repair or replace at their option" equipment damaged by a leaky battery, but that does you no good if it's something that is not easily replaceable, and also you are without it for a potentially significant period of time. I got $20 for a Maglight that was damaged by leaky batteries and that was great since it was only a $15 flashlight but what if that happened to my Fluke DMM that I use every day? I only buy LSD NiMH cells these days, mostly Eneloop.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 04:22:38 am »
Sure the reputable brands will "repair or replace at their option" equipment damaged by a leaky battery, but that does you no good if it's something that is not easily replaceable, and also you are without it for a potentially significant period of time. I got $20 for a Maglight that was damaged by leaky batteries and that was great since it was only a $15 flashlight but what if that happened to my Fluke DMM that I use every day? I only buy LSD NiMH cells these days, mostly Eneloop.

I completely agree but stuff them. If more people hit companies up for repair/replacement even if it's a "throw-away" item, they might start to pick up their game a little bit.

If it's the case you have an item which is expensive or irreplaceable, I'd probably think twice about using standard batteries in them in the first place. As you say, rechargeable batteries are a good alternative.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 04:44:08 am »
Duracell have gone to the dogs.  I did get lots of leaking ones...so much I won't buy them again. 
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 05:14:32 am »
A class-action lawsuit would get their attention.

The crusties are potassium carbonate (KOH+CO2), which is also oven and grill cleaner.
Use an acid for cleanup, vinegar or lemon juice or boric acid. Insoluble in alcohol so IPA is not helpful.

Ikea Ladda rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are rumoured to be made by Sanyo, on sale they are ~3X price of non-rechargeables.

I tried to ask Panasonic to make 9V Eneloop batteries, but no contact information on their mega corporate website. Sigh.

The 9V Li-ion batteries (two of 3.7V pack inside 600mAh) 8.4V I have not tried.
The Ni-MH 9V batteries 280mAh just cooked and died in Agilent U1252 multimeters, not sure why.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:12 am »
I tried to ask Panasonic to make 9V Eneloop batteries, but no contact information on their mega corporate website. Sigh.

The 9V Li-ion batteries (two of 3.7V pack inside 600mAh) 8.4V I have not tried.
The Ni-MH 9V batteries 280mAh just cooked and died in Agilent U1252 multimeters, not sure why.

I've been seeing a Chinese brand called Camelion, that has these 9V Lithium, anyone have any idea about this brand ?

Example -> https://www.camelion.com/en/products/primary-batteries/lithium-p7tm/9v/

Note : Nominal Voltage = 10,8V and 10 years shelf life.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:26:37 am by BravoV »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 05:59:27 am »
Back when Duracells were launched they pushed two points in their ads, and both were valid:
  • Alkaline cells have a much higher capacity than zinc carbon cells.
  • Alkaline cells never leak.
They used to push the no leaks angle just as hard as the high capacity angle. As other makes of alkaline cells entered the market they seemed to maintain the same qualities. For years I never saw an alkaline cell leak, even if left in a draw dead for a few years. Now pretty much every make and model of alkaline cell leaks nearly every time, often long before the battery is exhausted.

Offline wolfp

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 06:14:14 am »
I had the same problems a few years ago with Duracell batteries. They leaked and destroyed a multimeter. Since then I use cheaper batteries (e.g. Camelion). They may have a lower capacity but they never leaked.

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 08:19:33 am »
If you want to reduce the probability of leaks, buy inexpensive batteries without extravagant claims, brands such as Sunbeam, Kodak, Sony, Fuji, and so on. These will have the extra benefit of being vastly cheaper, too.

This has been my approach and experience for the last few years. They might not last as long as 'high-end' alkalines but they have a lot less tendency to leak. I've had no leaks in the last few years in remotes that seldom gets used or in my daughters toys that gets drained totally and are often left turned on with dead cells. For peace of mind I will fit LSD NiMh in my meters and this thread reminded me that I still haven't done that.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:25 am »
A class-action lawsuit would get their attention. ......

Australia is quite different to class actions and consumer protections...in otherwords we have stuff all consumer protections.  We don't even have motor vehicle Lemon laws.  Halcyon mention we have some protections but these are rarely enforced especially by individuals.  I mean you'd probably have to prove the battery purchase was fitted correctly and within use by date not mishandled etc.  In theory they should work.  I did try it on with one supplier of an electronic appliance i purchased with a recall fault but my unit was not in the recall yet had same fault....I was denied even after going to consumer affairs.

The Duracell started going off back in very late 90's.  I was involved in a facility repairing pilots night vision googles and using them.  Duracell AA's were all of a sudden slightly larger diameter and didn't fit the googles case.  We had to source special orders of Duracell AA's (only the Duracell's were  rated for airworthiness at that stage) from OS...the others were ordered to dumps....we took care of that dirty task with gusto.  Suffice to say why did they change the batteries?  No idea but I think they changed construction a little and any change had airworthiness impact.  The Airforce paid a premium for these batteries ( I mean premium...around $10 ea battery we purchased by the hundreds) way over normal costs boy they and us were peeved.  They were one use fit...used once then replaced! No matter how much use.

Really peeve's me off.  Premium brand.... my rear end! :--
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:37:18 am by wasyoungonce »
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 11:44:29 am »

This question is often asked, and as I understand it the answer is to do with the changing the formulation for higher power output. Every change that increases the marketing buzzwords on the label like "super extra ultra max power" is also a change that increases the propensity to leak.

There is a certain percentage of the cell filled with otherwise inactive chemical (I believe this used to be mercury, but is now something else) to absorb the hydrogen generated during discharge. To get more capacity, manufacturers reduce this to make room for more active chemical.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 01:24:46 pm »
I replaced all AA and AAA with low self discharge type rechargeable some time ago.

For 9 volt, I'm using a brand "EBL" purchased on eBay and they've been working fine. I bought a charger + 2 NiMH (280 mAh) and a charger + 2 Li Ion (600 mAh). The charger is the same for both types. These have long ago repaid the original purchase price ($12 and $16 if I remember right).

edit: Here is a link

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=EBL+9+volt&_nkw=EBL+9+volt

The ones I bought came with the 6F22 charger.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:26:50 pm by rdl »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 07:58:40 pm »
I think the increased leakage is due to cost cutting.

Many brands were high quality, high price - only to get bought by a mega conglomerate and raided for cost improvement to deliver "accelerating revenue growth and increased shareholder value".

Alkaline batteries compete mainly on price, and capacity is all over the place. Why put more into a battery, consumers don't notice the extra hours.
We all put these batteries into very expensive equipment, beyond a toy or TV remote, so leaking causes great damage.

Looking at a couple alkaline battery seal patents, it seems the end-crimp closure is expensive and everyone moved to using glue instead.
The glues are attacked by the electrolyte. "zero added mercury" causes more corrosion. So lots of trouble, a cocktail of at least four glues; epoxy, silicone rubber, hot glue etc.  :palm:

US6605383 Energizer
US5332633 Duracell

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
Alkaline batteries compete mainly on price

This is not my observation. I observe that Duracell and Energizer are very expensive in spite of cost sensitive consumers, and so I conclude they must compete on brand image. I can buy a pack of 4 AA Sunbeam alkaline AA cells for $1, compared to a pack of 4 Energizer/Duracell for about $5 (maybe less in bulk or on special offer), with the added bonus that I have never seen a Sunbeam cell to leak. Furthermore the Sunbeam cells have more or less the same capacity. So I am left mystified about why Duracell and Energizer are still in the market?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf