Author Topic: [Solved] MacBook recommendation needed  (Read 10936 times)

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Re: [Solved] MacBook recommendation needed
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Sony manufactured rectangular shaped batteries for a number of walkmans. Also they offered adapters for AA batteries that fit on the side

Also the earphone cable had the play/stop/rewind/forward controls. No one had that in a walkman

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:01:30 pm by MasterTech »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:11 pm »
Yeah, I have two cassette Walkmans that borrow from that. One of them (WM-EX508) has a nifty battery compartment that accepts either the gumstick or a AA by flipping over the battery cover, so with AA it's just got a small bulge. It has earbuds with a (permanent) built-in remote. The other (WM-EX652) takes gumstick internally and has the AA sidecar like the WM-701. It has a remote with controls and display, and removable earbuds. (However, it uses that unobtanium Sony coaxial earbud jack. The coax-to-3.5mm adapters haven't been made for ages, either.)

However, my Walkmans are from the late 1990s, by which time those features were common in Walkmans (except perhaps in USA, where very few people bought higher-end Walkmans like those). The WM-701 is from 1988, WAY ahead of its time!!!

Imported the MD player? Wasn't it available in the UK? As I understand it, MD was as popular in the UK as in continental Europe, which is to say far more popular than in USA, but not as popular as in Japan. As such, the UK would have gotten most of the Sony and Sharp models. Am I wrong?

They were available in the UK but there was a 6 month lead time before new models appeared. There was a company in North London that did direct imports from Japans so I got one from there. I think I probably paid about 25% more on the import price than the retail but it was worth it at the time.
Oh, gotcha. Yeah I hear that there used to be a thriving business in importing Japan-only models. (There was a US collector selling off his collection of new-in-box Japan-only MD players about 6 months ago. He'd literally gotten them just to collect. Some absolute gems among them. Sadly, some had aged even unused, e.g. some of the finishes starting to corrode away. :( )

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 02:30:02 pm »
The shift to recording digital content was a big shift and then the later shift onto flash media and away from mechanically dependent formats like MD and DAT was even more important, making digital content creation so much cheaper and easier.

Now its possible to capture unlimited amounts of content quickly!

Blueskull, now you have an ideal tool to produce content with.

You should.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:57:14 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf