Author Topic: Making of SMT ceramic capacitors  (Read 4906 times)

Offline calexanianTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
Making of SMT ceramic capacitors
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:20:36 am »

I was looking for any main stream companies making SMT caps or resistors in the US and found none. This is a Kemet plant somewhere else. I see no reason we could not be doing this here in the sates. Its mostly automated obviously.

Enjoy!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Making of SMT ceramic capacitors
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:09:57 am »
Nice, thanks!

Mainstream?  Yeah no... I mean, you're kidding right?... Mil spec maybe, but no, nothing cost critical and "mainstream".  They've got to wring every last thin cent out of those buggers to sell them competitively in the billions.  The machines are probably custom built with local materials and engineering -- cost savings even on the capital!  You can't do that in the US, even just for the machines.  US labor is expensive AF, and even just operating costs (property taxes?) would probably be enough reason for them.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:47:06 am »
I watched the video and saw quite a few different workers and manual processes.  Of course, that may be either a huge part or an insignificant part of the overall costs of those capacitors, but it's hard to know which.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:43 am »
Not only the salaries but did you see how much real estate you need for that factory, that thing is HUGE!
So real estate and prices for energy (a lot of ovens)  tax rules for the country and so on.
You can also produce your ipads/iphones in the USA they won't become more expensive only the margin will drop, but on ceramic capacitors, they will double or triple in price if you produce them in the western world. Unfortunately though, we sure could use the jobs  :(
Still we make a lot of the production machines that are used.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:07 am »
Unfortunately though, we sure could use the jobs  :(

But obviously ... we don't.  If we did, either the cost of labor would fall, or the demand for it would rise.

I'm an engineer, so, I work smarter, not harder.  I have no idea what fraction of the population is capable of working "smarter", though, even with assumed ideal schooling...

What will be interesting, is when China's labor costs go up, as their economy matures from manufacturing to consumption.  Jobs will return here, yes, but the cost of EVERYTHING will go up, compounded.  Which will probably happen as oil peaks (if not sooner), compounding even more costs.

Interesting times...

Tim

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:26:25 am »
What will be interesting, is when China's labor costs go up, as their economy matures from manufacturing to consumption.  Jobs will return here, yes, but the cost of EVERYTHING will go up, compounded.  Which will probably happen as oil peaks (if not sooner), compounding even more costs.
Costs already have risen massively in China. The jobs haven't moved back to Europe and the US, though. Much of the electronics you buy today has been assembled in Vietnam or Indonesia.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:56:44 am »
Costs already have risen massively in China. The jobs haven't moved back to Europe and the US, though. Much of the electronics you buy today has been assembled in Vietnam or Indonesia.
Yes, as labour costs increase in China, production will move to cheaper countries.

There are however other reasons for production in China: cheap energy, close proximity to raw materials, good transport infrastructure etc.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:16 pm »
I agree with others that production will probably move to poorer countries. There are plenty of poor people in the world and China has been working hard establishing relations with countries in Africa for example. I presume they will outsource manufacturing there.

What happens when Chinese companies become skilled enough to design new products, not only make clones. Then the west will be mostly obsolete, no longer having any production capabilities or know-how?

What scares me is that since the USA and the NATO countries still, without a doubt, make up the most powerful military force in the world, they might be tempted to use force to solve growing economical problems. The "average joe" might blame unemployment and declining standard of living on some traditional scapegoat and populists will gain power making problems worse.

Which will probably happen as oil peaks (if not sooner), compounding even more costs.
From what I've read Peak oil production is probably happening right now (+/-10 years or so), but it will take a while before the effects become apparent.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »
Thanks for the video, fascinating really.

I was actually expecting something far more automated - particularly when you see a 10k roll of the little buggers for 11 EUR.  It did seem to involve a fair amount of people.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:30:52 am »
What happens when Chinese companies become skilled enough to design new products, not only make clones. Then the west will be mostly obsolete, no longer having any production capabilities or know-how?

They're already there.  Rigol and Siglent are entirely Chinese, AFAIK.

No, not everyone; there's still an awful lot of junk and copying kind of work going on over there, but more and more, they're creating reasonable-to-excellent stuff themselves.  But as their education and SES* advances, so will their means of production on all levels, including design and engineering.

*Socio-Economic Status.

What scares me is that since the USA and the NATO countries still, without a doubt, make up the most powerful military force in the world, they might be tempted to use force to solve growing economical problems. The "average joe" might blame unemployment and declining standard of living on some traditional scapegoat and populists will gain power making problems worse.

No need; they've got our money.  http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/china-cold-open/n12611 (skip ahead a minute or two where it gets juicy)

Tim

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »
I believe it's the other way around (the you got their money) and in the unlikely event they want them back... well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock but that trick only works once!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf