Author Topic: Maplin "Insurers cast doubt over future of Maplin" (now CLOSING stores)  (Read 55816 times)

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
Re: Maplin "Insurers cast doubt over future of Maplin" (now CLOSING stores)
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:02 pm »
Not relevant to them closing stores, but does the Maplin catalogue still have the category called 'Rodent Accessories'? It used to years ago and I used to find it quite humorous.

8)

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2018, 05:57:44 pm »
Not relevant to them closing stores, but does the Maplin catalogue still have the category called 'Rodent Accessories'? It used to years ago and I used to find it quite humorous.

8)

Ah that's when maplins did proper electronics, I used to like cirkit back in the day as I could get the book in W.H. Smiths (UK newsagents)

Back on topic some of the discounts are a joke 20-30% is there mark up what you can pick it up for elsewhere, our local one has been well picked over

edit. Mouser still do the 4" thick book of electronic prawn
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:02:32 pm by bob225 »

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2018, 08:58:35 pm »
50% of that "mark up" is probably business rates.

Offline trysTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • I started with the AC128
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #303 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:32 am »
An announcement today from Maplin:

Our Website is Closing
As on Monday 30th April, our website will no longer be accessible.

It's a shame that they can't keep a static copy of their website showing all the products they had, but remove stock level information and pricing. They could even do a website showing all that catalogue sci-fi  artwork over those decades ago.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2018, 01:35:17 pm »
An announcement today from Maplin:

Our Website is Closing
As on Monday 30th April, our website will no longer be accessible.

Sounds like the end is quite close now.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »
So are we going to turn up to the funeral and pay our respects or wait until they're covered over and piss on the grave?  :-DD

I'm verging on the latter since about 1995.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:09 pm »
That seems a bit harsh, I have some fond memories of Maplin back when I was just getting into electronics as a hobby.

Went into my local store yesterday and found the components desk at the back was actually roped off. The parts themselves were being sold in job lots, together with the storage bins they'd been kept in, with absolutely ridiculous comedy price tags.

(Top tip: a job lot of unrelated random parts is not worth 50% of the previously marked-up retail price of each one individually!!)

The only items I even contemplated for a moment were the partial reels of cable at "80% off", but they were still more than I'd pay on impulse for something I don't really need right now. There was some odd stuff there too, like a big pile of gooseneck / bore scope cameras with 30% off.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »
Me too, but when the "hobby electronics" industry declined in the 1990s and the Internet took over they turned into a crap shifter. While the brand has some fond memories for me too they are mainly responsible for totally abusive pricing, selling crap that isn't fit for purpose and not giving up on the disco lights industry. I don't think they deserve any respect now.

The fact that the pricing is still abysmal when heavily discounted tells the real story.

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:06 pm »
You are at least being consistent.

I think it's best to remember the life of a person in their prime, rather than in their throws of pain in their decline before their death. Just my take anyhow.

I can't exactly compare Mapin as being a living person, but for many of us we have certainly been shaped by them to some extent in our own lives, in the hobbies and careers that we took up.

So I'm mourning their loss as I saw them at around year 2000 and earlier. I'm also very sorry to see their staff go too.

Edited: I can't spell propr today
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:35:17 pm by trys »

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #310 on: April 26, 2018, 02:44:31 pm »
I'd like to hope that people will remember me as a smart, sophisticated, fit and handsome young man, and not a dribbling old fart who mumbles nonsense and can't even manage to wipe his own arse.

They won't, of course.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: April 26, 2018, 02:57:51 pm »
I hope that people will remember I was a miserable bastard but correct  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: rob.manderson

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #312 on: April 26, 2018, 03:00:55 pm »
I've buried four uncles in three months. Luckily they were already dead.

I do remember them as they used to be rather than in their suffering. Good job really - they were brilliant.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:02 pm »
Time for one of Uncle Cerebus' homilies and life lessons:

I've buried a few friends and relatives now. Some I've seen dead, some I haven't. Many of you will have the opportunity to see your friends and loved ones after they have died. My advice is to think carefully before you do this, you cannot un-see what you have seen, and I can promise you that the image of a dead friend or loved one is something you will always carry around with you. It doesn't mean that it will erase or necessarily override the living image you have of them, but it will add another unforgettable image. So, make a careful choice before viewing a corpse; I know people who regret allowing themselves to do so when it was better that they did not.

Here endeth the lesson, we now return you to the light entertainment stylings of "The Death Throes of Maplin" ...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #314 on: April 26, 2018, 03:19:45 pm »

I've buried a few friends and relatives now. Some I've seen dead, some I haven't. Many of you will have the opportunity to see your friends and loved ones after they have died. My advice is to think carefully before you do this, you cannot un-see what you have seen, and I can promise you that the image of a dead friend or loved one is something you will always carry around with you. It doesn't mean that it will erase or necessarily override the living image you have of them, but it will add another unforgettable image. So, make a careful choice before viewing a corpse; I know people who regret allowing themselves to do so when it was better that they did not.

Here endeth the lesson, we now return you to the light entertainment stylings of "The Death Throes of Maplin" ...

So, true.  That's why I only attend funerals of people I don't like.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #315 on: April 27, 2018, 03:09:51 pm »
The staff at our local Maplins have secured new jobs at Homebase, Sainsbury's and Argos

I have been using Maplins since 91-92 and seen a major decline in quality and a rise in price in the last 15 years, typical business practices the ones in there ivory towers have run it into the ground, stripped the assets and gone

I wonder how much is owed to its landlords, tax man and in business rates - let alone the poor average staff member

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #316 on: April 27, 2018, 03:11:42 pm »
Homebase? Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #317 on: April 27, 2018, 03:53:19 pm »

Many of you will have the opportunity to see your friends and loved ones after they have died. My advice is to think carefully before you do this, you cannot un-see what you have seen
I second this. I never look at dead people. I very much prefer to have a last memory of when they where still alive.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor

Homebase is now owned by Bunnings, so we can now buy ozzie hardware locally.

Actually the have changed a large number of suppliers in the last few months. 

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page

Actually the have changed a large number of suppliers in the last few months.

I've not been in one in ages, do they now stock something other than chintzy cushions and overpriced tat?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Over priced tools and other hardware.  There appears to be slightly less tat now, from my limited experience of Bunnings in Oz they do not go into tat. 

The Homebase tat was largely the same as Argos's as they were the same company, so an easy way to fill up floor space.  Which in turn came from Green Shield Stamps.... When I was a lad...

Back on topic, I eventually called into in a Maplin on Thursday. 100m detour on the way home from work!  Their Irish sale mirrors the UK.  Nothing worth buying at 40~60% off, need to wait until the final clearing of the shop.  The had 5 shrink wrapped component cabinets with random assortment at €80 each!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:44:39 am by Towger »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2018, 09:06:04 am »
Heh.  That's an insult.   Apparently some UK branches have got authorisation to sell off cabinets at £30 empty or at the (IIRC) 70% clearance discount value of the parts in them.   I hear that smart managers are stuffing cabinets with populated draws to get the ticket price in the £25 to £30 ballpark, and allegedly, there's a fair bit of interest.    I also hear there's somewhat of a competition between shops to get the longest itemised sales receipt!  :popcorn: 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:08:50 am by Ian.M »

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy

Homebase is a damaged brand, it has a reputation for being overpriced and not really focused on a particular market, it has a bit of DIY, home furnishings, garden stuff etc, none of it particularly well represented. The trouble is your average person has no idea that Homebase has started to change significantly under Bunnings ownership, so still have the out-of-date idea of what Homebase is. Bunnings would be better off getting rid of the Homebase name ASAP and using their own brand. People who would never think of going to Homebase would then go to a Bunnings store to see what it was like.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Homebase is a damaged brand, it has a reputation for being overpriced and not really focused on a particular market, it has a bit of DIY, home furnishings, garden stuff etc, none of it particularly well represented. The trouble is your average person has no idea that Homebase has started to change significantly under Bunnings ownership, so still have the out-of-date idea of what Homebase is. Bunnings would be better off getting rid of the Homebase name ASAP and using their own brand. People who would never think of going to Homebase would then go to a Bunnings store to see what it was like.
One local branch has rebranded as bunnings Warehouse.  My local place hasn't, but the exterior is looking pretty shabby so overdue for a makeover. I've not noticed any difference inside since the changeover
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mc172

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2018, 10:09:07 am »
I haven't been in a Homebase for years but I always get an uneasy feeling being in there. Ir's almost like I can feel the financial struggle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf