Author Topic: Memory management bug in Intel CPUs threatens massive performance hits.  (Read 46595 times)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: Memory management bug in Intel CPUs threatens massive performance hits.
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2018, 01:40:04 pm »
These implants still need information from the manufacturers, they need to be indistuingishable after all and they don't want to spend months after each new model without intercept capability.

Really the interception is mostly to remove liability from Cisco.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #326 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:20 pm »
 Libtards; Russians infiltrated the election! Trumptards; No it was NSA! :blah:

NSA dont even have to do implants, just do speculative branching!

My Huawai smartpone is doing smart things , not for me but for Chinese GOV and NSA!

My bank says i have zero money on my account, i show then my draft there was a million yesterday, i accuse them for fraud they deny, i sue, then what? banks and NSA in conspiracy with US and Russian Oligarchs. :scared:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:34:21 pm by MT »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #327 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:21 pm »
Performance isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, so what, the 10-30% performance hit is basically a few months worth of progress..

OTOH, people's privacy and security is really important.
Lots of really sleazy people out there.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #328 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:09 am »
https://www.rt.com/news/416712-intel-bug-fix-problems/
‘WTF is going on?!’ Linux creator attacks Intel as it retracts ‘garbage’ fix for critical bug

"As it is, the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE," Torvalds said in a message posted to the Linux kernel mailing list on Sunday.

"All of this is pure garbage. Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural?" he asked. "Has anybody talked to them and told them they are f*cking insane? Please, any Intel engineers here - talk to your managers."]

Torvalds said that the best possible solutions for the company would be to recall two decades worth of products and to give everyone free CPUs. But instead, Intel is trying to avoid huge losses and further damage to its reputation, and intends to continue shipping flawed hardware with software protection which will be turned off by default, he explained.

Actually it's about 15 years, not two decades. But who's counting?

I'm loving this drama. I've long felt that CPUs were getting far too complex, and all the out of order and speculative  execution, combined with multi-level caches, exploding combinatorial complexity, would eventually bite back. Not to mention enjoying seeing Karma finally come to a company that spends so much of it's time embedding entire hidden system architectures (the IME, running Minix, with full access to TCP/IP) that were always obviously intended as intelligence/gov backdoors invisible to users. And are now _known_ to be for that, with other justifications just shallow excuses. Burn, Intel, burn.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #329 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:59 am »
Breaking news!
Forty years of steadily increasing processor power come to a sudden halt - Moore later

The following users thanked this post: cdev, Jeroen3, GeorgeOfTheJungle, Mr.B, Jacon, paulca

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2018, 08:45:21 am »
You found a memory leak in firefox? Exciting... or not...  :P

What did you expect a "free unused memory" addon was going to do? Free memory means you've paid too much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf