Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501902 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 04:02:02 pm »
You do not get spam much because you need a certain number of posts before the SMF will give you human status and not ask for a Captcha on each post. That stops a lot of spammers, as it is a time sink, and they want to get as many posts out as possible before being banned.

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:19 pm »
THAT MUST BE A NEW ADDITION. THERE ARE PLUYGIN'S INSTALLED THAT ARE BLOCKING KNOWN SPAMMERS, I USE THE SAME ON MY OWN SMALL LOCAL FORUM AND IT HAS BLOCKED OVER 32000 SPAMMERS AND ABOUT 1 OR 2 GOT THROUGH IN ALL THAT TIME.

rpress

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:16 pm »
The object of this thread was to explain that anything other than abuse cannot be removed as otherwise we'd end up deleting alot of the forum and I created this thread because I was getting a lot of petty reports after we cracked down on abusive posts because when people realized we were taking stronger views they started reporting anything and everything just because they did't like it personally.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Okay, I agree with that.  Personal viewpoints and differing opinions are what make things interesting.  However when certain posters turn things to such a negative light it really brings things down.  Of course there is some grey area in there as to what constitutes abuse.  For example things like this I find unfortunate:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/quality-pc-based-oscilloscope/30/#msg183809

That's just from yesterday, there's more of the same sprinkled around.  Even just the attitude of certain members is obvious, for example I'm sure you know the signature line:
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
I love the sound of a "you are not helpful" whining in the morning.
Not exactly inviting and friendly, and most of the contributions from this member are not friendly as well.

The troublesome people have not posted too many directly abusive posts and they will dealt with swiftly if reported, we don't have the time to moderate people on a post by post basis.

I can't speak for you, but like I said it seems there are only a handful of these kind of posters.  I doubt it would be a great burden to moderate these people.

I've seen forums go wrong before when on a "certain other forum" that I left because it was the moderators that were running their own little regimes and are the villains. On here that will not happen, I am no expert and won't be using my moderator status to shove my view on how electronics works I was made a moderator because I took a fair view and tried to see both sides not for any technical expertise, and I'm sure the same goes for other moderators.

Again, I agree.  Opinions on circuit design and whatnot should not be imposed on the forum members.

My main point being that I wish this were a place to cultivate ideas with support and occasional friendly banter, rather than the vile bicker that has plagued so many other forums before; the most infamous being sci.electroncs.design.  I for one would just rather stay away from a community like that, and I'm sure many others feel the same.  Oh!  But just think what could be accomplished by us all in a supportive environment.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 09:37:27 pm »
You do not get spam much because you need a certain number of posts before the SMF will give you human status and not ask for a Captcha on each post. That stops a lot of spammers, as it is a time sink, and they want to get as many posts out as possible before being banned.

As Simon says, that must be an optional plugin as we do get a few 1 post spammers. As soon as they are noticed or reported, then they get deleted and the user banned.
What's fairly effective on other forums I'm on, is to have limits on the user for the first X posts i.e. can't include urls, send PM's, inlcude attachments etc. Another plugin probably.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:37 pm »
The best way to handle a post that you feel is offensive, is to report it using the 'Report to Moderator' button at the bottom of each post.

The wrong way is to post your complaint in the same thread. This can often start a slanging match which will most likely end up being deleted.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
There are forum settings in some forum software that allow limits to ease trust onto new members and stop spamming. This forum uses a mod that connects to a central database where spammers get reported too all over the world based on email, username and IP address, it is very effective as it only needs one or two forums to report them and they get banned the world over and are not even allowed to register on the forum, their registration is blocked and held for approval. So run of the mill spam is near nill. Actual real users that do cunning spam like all of the recent PCB fab posts need removing manually. Speaking of which a new member can post links etc, I have removed posts from a boad fab that put links all over his 1st post.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

rpress

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 01:22:40 am »
I've got my answer; it seems it's not worth discussing.  Thanks for your consideration.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:37 pm »
Indeed we hope everyone understands that at the end of each post is an individual and you can catch someone on a bad day. Any direct attacks as mentioned in my original post will not be tolerated or other obvious behavior that is clearly meant to disrupt the forum.

The idea of the report buttons is that you can flag up anything bad and we can review it, that does not necessarily mean it will be deleted although we will keep mental notes and if there is a trend on a particular user we'll do something but we can't protect everyone from the fact that on this forum you are talking to people from all over the world and a little understanding to the fact that there are people of all background and with varying levels of english.

We work on common sense - nuff said!

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:28 am »
I think you posted in the wrong thread ?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 07:59:10 am »
yes quite daft !  |O

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:26 pm »
Dear Moderators:

--It is becoming obvious to me that there is a move underway to deliberately irritate Dave. I just want to say I will not be responding anymore to any of the latest trollish posts. I will try mightily to avoid the political, henceforth. When Dave was participating in the political discussions, I did not mind also commenting, but now that it has become a major headache, I have no wish to add to it. I should like to say that I believe that the moderation on this Blog, has improved lately. Proof being that there is much less profane and insulting behavior. I also believe that the moderation has been even handed when forced to crack the whip. The Blog is growing up and we must grow up with it.

"Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused. But on a higher level."
Enrico Fermi 1901 1954

Best Regards
Clear Ether

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what your referring to. Everyone has a right to their opinions, as they do to defend them.

Offline Psychaotix

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 11:27:11 pm »
Interesting read and there's a number of good points made too.

I usually lurk around a very well known Australian tech forum, and have gotten to know a couple of mods quite well. The most common complaint is pretty much the same as mentioned here, trivial reports.

People have differences of opinion regarding various topics, and I know how much of a problem that can be. But really, if people took the time to actually debate the issue properly, then chances are, everyone would be happier.

Regarding the mention of using high end test equipment for a beginner? My view is that one should use the best equipment that they can REASONABLY afford. That might be a $200 oscilloscope, or a frequency reference they made from a kit. As long as it's reasonably accurate and suited for the task. If that doesn't solve the issue, then either see if you can borrow a higher end bit of equipment, or ask and see if someone's willing to do that testing for you.

That's just my 2 cents though.

Regards.
Psychaotix.

Offline TheEPROM9

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have a Kali USB and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • EPROM 9 Home
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:38 pm »
It is a shame that 100% of people cannot behave and there are always a few who try to ruin things. But that's humans, sadly they are not as simple as electronics or computers, other humans mindsets that are not logical will always be beyond me.

Running YouTube channels have the same problem, but thankfully the trolls are dumb and kind of funny so I don't consider them a problem, have not had any problems with my websites.

While I have not been on here long, it is good to see the whole community are civil engineers (pun intended :-DD). End of the day that says you are doing the right thing and large groups and channels are magnets for trolls.
TheEPROM9 (The Husky Hunter Collectors inc.)
Knowledge should be sheared freely to those who want it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146977913@N06/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vOnjz1G-aM8LddSbrK1Vg https://www.facebook.com/groups/118910608126229/

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:08 am »
Well over the last few months we have experienced yet again an escalation in "facebook status update" style "reports" with people just sending comments and using it as a contact button. Sending a report means that 4 of us get an email and really if you don't like what someone said, we really couldn't care less unless it is deemed as offensive.

Offline Gigawatt

• No personal stuff
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 02:35:53 pm »
Enough said GROW UP CHILDREN
Industrial spark from the UK, Working on LV 110v to 660v AC mostly. LV and electronics within panels & machines

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 06:32:01 pm »
Enough said GROW UP CHILDREN

says the new kid on the block ????

Offline oakkar7

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 01:48:56 pm »
Phew  :phew:

After fighting nation wide spam issue, finally I step into this forum. The story is that.

Last a few months ago, I tried to register this forum. I got a welcome mail and wait for approved mail. I waited for a week. I tried again with different mail. But, second mail never been arrived. What?? :o
Then, I tried to post comment in blog. Filled form and comment not shown up. What?? ,, wat ??    >:(
I mailed to forum contact mail. No reply. What?? ,, wat ??  :wtf:

After some research, I found out the problem.

I am from Myanmar and I notice that some of my ISP proxy address are in spammer lists such as botscout.com, www.stopforumspam.com, projecthoneypot.org. So, spammer filter from this forum block these IP.

But please notice that all users at Myanmar are behind those proxies and firewall. These IP addresses are belong to my ISP Yatanarpon Teleport.
If you block these IP range, no one from Myanmar cannot register to forum because there is only One public ISP in Myanmar(Yes, if you believe it or not :D ).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Burma

So, dear admins, pls don't filter these IP range 203.81.175.xxx and 203.81.172.xxx.

( I also faced this problem in other forums (HackADay, sparkfun, adafruit etc). Some are solved and some cannot. I also requested these spam filter sites for white list, not improved)

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »
I'm afraid that most chinese mass manufactured are junk, and that is just a fact, nothing offensive. As a quality inspector I have to deal with this on a daily basis.

Most of the chinese products are top quality. They only sell their crap to Europe, because most europeans are stupid enough to buy that junk.
Still not offensive?
:-)

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »
I'm afraid that most chinese mass manufactured are junk, and that is just a fact, nothing offensive. As a quality inspector I have to deal with this on a daily basis.

Most of the chinese products are top quality. They only sell their crap to Europe, because most europeans are stupid enough to buy that junk.
Still not offensive?
:-)

yes europe is stupid enough to buy the junk, if people did not buy it then they would not make it and possibly expect good stuff from china or find that goods made in their own country is actually affordable when you take into account quality and lifetime of the product. I find it hard to beleive that people expect to pay so little for things that will last more than five minutes. While our governments run around slapping taxes all over us in the name of being green and while individuals make every effort to be ecological we are having crap from china rammed down our throats made with coal fueled power station power and dragged half way around the world to be dumped in landfill weeks after being bought.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:43 pm »
Here i the U.S. people buy their fair share of cheap junk. After all, we invented the WalMart Super Store and needed to fill it with cheap junk nobody really needs. But the prices are so cheap, you can't stay out of the damn place!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »
You didn't stop to consider that it may have been Dave who locked the thread?
He's also a moderator.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

I've seen this happen before. Mods drunk on power. It never ends well, the forum eventually dies because slowly they annoy all the regular posters and they give up posting.

You are so wide of the mark that it's offensive. Moderating is a bit of a chore and with comments like yours is fast becoming not worth the hassle as sorting out some petty spats takes so much time and no we are not all seeing so can only do our best with the thread in hand at the time, when the forum is rampant with mud throwing fights and spam you will also be complaining about mods who can't be bothered.

Moderating requests are rising as the forum grows and it's more difficult to keep tabs on people and things get pettier or people can't care less about what they say that because they think it does not matter on the internet.

You should try moderating yourself, then you would see that it's not so fun and easy. I don't mind being of service to the community but I'm not about to have my time wasted.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
What Simon said!
Removing the spam and moving posts around is the easy bit. Keeping threads on track, deleting offending posts, warning users is a thankless but necessary task, necessary to the smooth running of the forum.
Occasionally a user will post a complaint about a deleted post or locked thread and gain some sympathy from others who don't get to see the full picture or know what's going on behind the scenes..
Be assured that if Dave thinks moderation is out of hand, he'll step in and correct it, After all, this forum is part of his livelihood.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
Moderating requests are rising as the forum grows and it's more difficult to keep tabs on people and things get pettier or people can't care less about what they say that because they think it does not matter on the internet.

What about finding another mod to add? It seems like GeoffS gets stuck with most of the OT load, maybe somebody could help lighten that a bit.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf