General > General Technical Chat

Moderation reports

(1/138) > >>

Simon:
Hello good poeple, I type this with my moderator top hat on  ;)

I (as Dave will be as well) am receiving a lot of reports lately on posts. That is not to say that I (we) are overwelmed but many of these are along the lines of: "I didn't like what he said", or that "he's offending so and so" when no one was specifically mentioned and a range of reports that frankly I can't do anything about unless you want me to delete half the forum just because  maybe I don't like what was said either and you wouldn't agree either.

Now I know that Dave has decided that there is to be stricter control/moderation of the forum and rightly so but please don't go overboard lets try to get some perspective here, please do report any of the following:

Spam
posts that are vulgar or otherwise inappropriate
anything you deem to be illegal or for ill intent (but don't go jumping over the mere mention of something like a possible harmless prank)
Direct attacks on members (naming people)
attempts to otherwise upset the relatively educated and polite environment we all enjoy and turn threads into senseless arguments by diverting the subject elsewhre.

If you don't like someone or how they phrase things or your part of the politically correct brigade that must not see anyone brought to account or anything bad said particularly when it may well be true please save it, because you will probably be the next person someone else reports for the same reasons or you may be whittling if I have to apply you own logic to you one day.

I don't want this to be seen as a provoking post but I don't want people to feel that we are not taking note of reports, I'm a moderator, not a policeman.

Moderator hat off

Thank you all for understanding !

Simon:
thank you for your comments, you make good points. Obviously case by case judgement will be applied. I am just getting tired with people pointing fingers at each other just because they disagree. there is disagreeing and there is being offensive, please don't mix them. This is not a school playground.

Simon:
It is not a problem at the moment but I am seeing a tendency in reoports that are purely to say they don't like something. I am afraid this is a place of free speech, save for the conditions i put above I can't do a lot.

That does not mean to say that I need to see a history of bad posts before banning a person, if someone posts something that bad they will just get banned regardless of history. Unfortunately we cannot stay on top of every thread as there are too many.

Simon:
when you report 1 post, in order to be fair and understand the situation we have to read the whole thread ! so if I get loads of silly reports that means i have no time to deal with them as some threads are so long. so I'll either have to ignore it or make a poor judgement on dealing with it because i have so many to get through.

Obviously if the report is a valid one please make it, as i said we are not your dinner ladies in the school playground.

GeoffS:
As (one of) the other moderators I agree with what Simon has said.
It's easy to delete spam and spammers but no so easy to make the decision about banning regular users based on what they are posting. What's offensive to one may not be offensive to another (the same goes for humour  :) )

I must admit that I tend to leave the hard decision making to Dave but based on his recent post about the sheer number of posts/threads, this may need to change.

In banning a user, which should be a last option, there are various levels of banishment. Perhaps being banned from posting for a period of time, but still being able to read the forums, would give some people time to reconsider their approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version