Author Topic: Moderation reports  (Read 501882 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Moderation reports
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:43 pm »
EEVBlog's policy on harassment is now officially worse than 4chan.  :palm:

That site at least bans users who use their site as a staging ground for harassment elsewhere.

Please go away. You are harassing this community.

Your wish has been artificially imposed, so now we can all stop talking about it!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:41 pm »
I'm getting abusive emails and harassment on social media, apparently from an EEVBlog user. Can the moderators please check if anyone is using IP address 73.48.3.147 and take action.

No account under that IP

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2015, 10:40:11 pm »
It seems Mojochan has deleted most of his posts.
Let me know when it's ok to close your account Mojo, happy to oblige.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:29 pm »
Why not just ban him, along with the IP address he's used to make most of his posts?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2015, 10:59:46 pm »
Why not just ban him, along with the IP address he's used to make most of his posts?

I see Simon has already taken care of that. Mojochan won't be back.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:29 am »
I Googled for "mojo-chan"& got a lot of hits.-------No, mojo,I'm not stalking you.
He seems to be well represented in Computer sites & a number of others.

Strangely,I didn't find any examples of his more "aggro" side.

I do have a forum I would suggest to him which has had vigorous debate on the subjects dear to his heart.

It is somewhat more "robust" than this one,but has rather strange,not to say capricious,moderation,practices----certain "trigger words" will get your posting removed,without appeal,except for a PM to the Moderator.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:45:51 am by vk6zgo »

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2015, 05:40:44 am »
Perhaps he had ulterior motives for posting here, hence the change in attitude. Why else be like this :) on those forums and like  :rant: here?

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2015, 06:08:57 am »

I see Simon has already taken care of that. Mojochan won't be back.

He reported a random thread and just put abuse in the reason for reporting, got that twice. I think that counts for asking to be banned. I was going to reply to the email but thought better of supplying my email.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2015, 10:13:35 am »
Please don't close my account. I use it to keep tabs on what I have read, without commenting (except for these reports, obviously). I'm also still getting some PMs of support that are nice to read.

Mojo-chan, it's great you have supporters and I mean that without any sarcasm. But I have to be honest, you have struck a nerve with quite a lot of people on this forum, myself included on occasions. While I firmly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions, views and beliefs, what I find incredible about certain people (and not in a good way) is their inability to modify or change their attitude towards others.

You clearly have some very strong opinions about certain things, we all do. But if I was copping as much negativity from a group of people as you are at the moment, I'd be taking a step back and wondering to myself "is there any truth in what's being said?" or "how can I improve my relations with others?". No one is asking you to change your mind about something you believe in, but rather show a little empathy and acknowledge opinions which differ from your own. Your response isn't always the "most correct", just like everyone else's isn't. I guess it's more about finding that middle-ground with people and not being stubborn as a mule.

These are all life lessons I learnt when I was younger. We've all been an idiot before. We've all said things without thinking. The key is learning from mistakes. Now that I'm a bit older and wiser, I have to say I've learnt much more about the world by being open to conflicting opinions and actually listening and engaging people, rather than just laughing them off as being "wrong".

Those are my two cents.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2015, 10:30:02 am »
^ This.

If you go to a shop or a restaurant and you don't enjoy the experience or it's not your cup of tea, you don't return.

Similarly, if you find yourself engaging with a group of people socially where you don't share their views, you make your excuses and go elsewhere.

I was not in support of banning MJ, although I have been deliberately avoiding engaging him in any comment for some time due to the infinite loop problem. However I'm afraid I can only draw the conclusion now that he's simply deliberately seeking attention.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2015, 10:41:59 am »
My account hasn't been banned.

It has now.
It was "Mojochan", now Mojo-chan" is gone too.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2015, 11:04:10 am »
My account hasn't been banned.

It has now.
It was "Mojochan", now Mojo-chan" is gone too.

Dave, you may want to modify his signature on his profile(s). There is a link to: this page

You may also want to "tweak" the forum settings so that his script no longer works. (Maybe set a time limit for editing/deleting posts?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:07:29 am by Halcyon »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:06 am »
What happened between this post where he wasn't banned and politely requested not to be, and the moment he was banned?

They fixed the "glitch".

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2015, 11:17:36 am »
What happened between this post where he wasn't banned and politely requested not to be, and the moment he was banned?

They fixed the "glitch".

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2015, 11:35:31 am »
Fair enough. Although I think a "fair go" policy should also apply. Yes, we should have the ability to delete or amend our own posts (perhaps for a limited time) but ultimately what Mojo-chan is doing is not upholding the "spirit" of what Dave's policy was intended for. It's clearly designed to be malicious or at the very least, disruptive to the EEVblog. I think the negatives outstrip the positives on this one.

If it's possible, maybe allow users up to 24-48 hours to modify their posts, after which a moderator needs to do it. I'd say that's more than fair. That would work in almost all circumstances. Policy needs to change as the blog (and ultimately Dave's business) grows and changes.

Perhaps Dave could suspend deletions due to the current issue(s) at hand, until this issue can be properly discussed and debated.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:41:41 am by Halcyon »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:50 am »
No more on this issue please.
All of Mojo-chans posts are now gone as he originally requested.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2015, 12:05:52 pm »
Not to single you out  but there are plenty of people who fanned the flames in this war on M-C (or, with, if you prefer).

I said no more talk on this please, it's done.
MojoChan requested deletion, and he's now gone. The end.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2015, 12:16:27 pm »
He reported a random thread and just put abuse in the reason for reporting, got that twice. I think that counts for asking to be banned.

Blimey! Without even asking him to expand on that either? Remind me never to trouble a mod with a problem I might have...

He's previously flown under my radar mostly (that is, he's not stood out as someone to avoid or ignore, or particularly to notice in any way) so really it is only this and t'other thread where I noticed things, and what I did notice is that he was polite, didn't use ad-hom attacks and tried hard to explain his point of view by way of analogy. By contrast, he was unfailingly attacked by a rabble verging on a mob that had tasted blood. No, none of you had to pop up and have your say but you wanted to join in on dissing him anyway.

Not a surprise, actually - you see this anywhere a number of people congregate, particularly if they are protected by a screen and hundred of miles of wire. But what was a surprise was everyone basically saying they, in contrast to him, were mature about it. wtf?!? No, really, y'all could have just read what he had to say, shake your head if you're that way inclined, and leave it to the mods. But that wasn't good enough so you did in fact hound him and deliberately chose your words to wind him up. And then felt cheated why he just persisted in explaining his viewpoint without using swearwords or making personal attacks.

Way to go. My view of some users who had crossed my radar has been somewhat altered.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
Sorry, you said to not post whilst I was composing. Mea culpa.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2015, 01:22:52 pm »
He reported a random thread and just put abuse in the reason for reporting, got that twice. I think that counts for asking to be banned.

Blimey! Without even asking him to expand on that either? Remind me never to trouble a mod with a problem I might have...

He's previously flown under my radar mostly (that is, he's not stood out as someone to avoid or ignore, or particularly to notice in any way) so really it is only this and t'other thread where I noticed things, and what I did notice is that he was polite, didn't use ad-hom attacks and tried hard to explain his point of view by way of analogy. By contrast, he was unfailingly attacked by a rabble verging on a mob that had tasted blood. No, none of you had to pop up and have your say but you wanted to join in on dissing him anyway.

Not a surprise, actually - you see this anywhere a number of people congregate, particularly if they are protected by a screen and hundred of miles of wire. But what was a surprise was everyone basically saying they, in contrast to him, were mature about it. wtf?!? No, really, y'all could have just read what he had to say, shake your head if you're that way inclined, and leave it to the mods. But that wasn't good enough so you did in fact hound him and deliberately chose your words to wind him up. And then felt cheated why he just persisted in explaining his viewpoint without using swearwords or making personal attacks.

Way to go. My view of some users who had crossed my radar has been somewhat altered.

Sorry if I was not clear, he used the "reason for report" box to send us abuse. The reported was just the first post on a random thread that had many pages. Couldn't even be bothered to send me a PM or anything.

THE END.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2015, 09:38:44 pm »
The user called Siman needs to be banned and deleted please.

34 shotgun style spam posts in 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:40:17 pm by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2015, 09:58:09 pm »
Someone suggested that the poster had not lost his mojo - I pretty much think that's exactly what has happened, if it is mojo-chan he has totally lost his mojo.

Either way I think Simon is trying to eradicate this particular k******d.

Sad really.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2015, 10:02:02 pm »
Someone suggested that the poster had not lost his mojo - I pretty much think that's exactly what has happened, if it is mojo-chan he has totally lost his mojo.

Either way I think Simon is trying to eradicate this particular k******d.

Sad really.

Indeed, Mojo-chang / mojochang / keeps re registering and posting this crap.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:37:59 am by EEVblog »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:39 pm »
Could as well be someone else taking advantage of the momentum.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2015, 11:37:06 pm »
Was that a disclosure of someones name? Where will it stop? Who will be next? What if the banned member receives additional harrassment as a result, where does the responsibility lay?

What, especially now you've drawn attention to it?  |O
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:52:09 am by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf