Author Topic: Most secured os+browser?  (Read 8477 times)

Offline VulcanBB18

• Contributor
Re: Most secured os+browser?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:32 am »
If you are concerned with security on a windows box with regards your account, run it as a normal user with no rights to do anything.

Then when you do need to install, you can elevate your privileges by shift-right-clicking on the EXE or whatever in question, and selecting "Run as different user" from the popup menu.  You get a logon prompt, put in the login credentials, and that process only can run with the rights required to install.

After that ensure patching is up to date and the whole thing is behind a properly secured firewall, or failing that a well configured router.  Then it's just down to the chair-to-keyboard interface problem  ;D

cheers,

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 02:37:55 am »
I remember someone saying to use Chrome, they patch 0days inside 3 days normally, and the malware guys usually take a week to reverse the patch etc. Plus it auto updates a lot. Probably some more sandboxing but I dont know the details.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 03:06:41 am »
I don't know if I trust Chrome though, I've heard accusations that it does some serious data harvesting, I never looked into it though because I don't care for the interface anyway.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 03:18:29 am »
Almost all of these replies deal with software vulnerabilities and practices.  For total security you should also have total control over your hardware.  Meaning you you know all of the firmware in the mice, keyboards, motherboards and so on.  Attacks on high interest targets have involved a variety of hardware and I am sure these techniques have been spread widely.  It is one reason USB drives are now not allowed on secure systems.

It bears repeating over and over.  There is no such thing as total security on publicly purchase hardware, with commercial or free software and with connection to the internet.  The question is how much can you afford to have exposed.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 05:48:47 am »
As I understand it, Google provides the basic Chrome code as open source, but the actual Chrome browser has a number of closed source, proprietary "features". The Chromium browser is apparently based only on the open source part. I've never used either. I would never even consider trying Chrome.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 06:46:56 am »
shift-right-clicking on the EXE or whatever in question, and selecting "Run as different user" from the popup menu.

I can't remember how many times I've tried to find a way to do this (without going through a runas shortcut), thanks for the well-hidden shortcut.

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 12:29:48 am »
Thanks guys for so many valuable suggestions.

I am due to replace my current browsing system.  This will give me fruit for thought.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 01:46:12 pm »
As I understand it, Google provides the basic Chrome code as open source, but the actual Chrome browser has a number of closed source, proprietary "features". The Chromium browser is apparently based only on the open source part. I've never used either. I would never even consider trying Chrome.

Chromium yes, it is always a little behind the bleeding edge, but a nice browser. I just like the Firefox add on system, buggy though it is, as it is more versatile. Little things like Noscript, Adblock, Ublock origin and Requestpolicy make surfing a lot safer and more enjoyable.

So half the sites have no ads, I can always find the content they "protect" with a simple google search anyway, or just use the cached version of it the crawler kept.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf