Author Topic: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30  (Read 49243 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:16 am »
Same here, I just ordered one.  This is no worse that getting a free sample or free to not so free evaluation board from other companies.  I'm glad they see the rush of demand, it will tell them just how important this market segment is.

As for waiting, I'm in no rush, never used TI before, so everything is new.  Its always good to have more tools under your belt for development, and may the best uC system win.

Just an update, from an email I received from TI a few hours ago.

Thank you for recently requesting semiconductor EVM sales samples from Texas Instruments. The items below are currently on back order.

Part Number             Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Status     
-------------------- -----------  -----------  ------------
MSP-EXP430G2                   1           0           BackOrdered

Please contact your local Product Information Center (PIC) for updated lead times. http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/dsnsuprt.tsp

I guess they had a bit more demand than they expected. :)

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »
My question is, how to get one without a credit card. ;)

Unfortunately here in Germany credit cards aren't an ubiquitous payment system as in other parts of the world. So unfortunatly i dont have one.

Offline kc1980

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:04 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if they start showing up on Ebay for those that can't buy directly through TI or mouser.  But by then, the thing will cost $15 each after shipping.  Might as well get something more capable.

I just bought two for myself.  Mouser site says 3 week lead time.

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 07:39:16 pm »
Is something wrong with my brower? I can't even see how to order the launchpad at ti store? You guys know some magic that I don't?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:36 pm »
Some folks on this thread mentioned strange website behavior during the day.  I can't imagine its being this overwhelmed. 

I ordered at 10pm EST USA time, and it went like clockwork.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline nessatse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »
I am just about giving up trying to order now.  The website keeps coming back with "Unable to authorize payment: Error reading from 'https://www.ti-estore.com/auth.asp': Invalid HTTP response" after I enter my credit card details.  Tried two different Visa cards with the same results.   Emailed them but all I got back was an automated response so far. (That was 24 hourse ago).  Maybe they just don't want to do the free shipping thing to far off places like South Africa....

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 10:42:33 pm »
My question is, how to get one without a credit card. ;)

Can you buy pre-paid Visa cards in shops over there?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:32 pm »
I just looked at the site and its fallen apart.  At best I'd wait until off work hours in the USA and try again.  They are not shipping so at most you're putting your name in a waiting list via TI or Mouser.

I am just about giving up trying to order now.  The website keeps coming back with "Unable to authorize payment: Error reading from 'https://www.ti-estore.com/auth.asp': Invalid HTTP response" after I enter my credit card details.  Tried two different Visa cards with the same results.   Emailed them but all I got back was an automated response so far. (That was 24 hourse ago).  Maybe they just don't want to do the free shipping thing to far off places like South Africa....
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 09:12:31 am »
Just ordered 2 units, and yes I did have to try a few times to get the payment through.

Only concern is the possible extra unknown charges due to an international shipment....

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:37 am »
So even though the launchpad for $4.30 is backordered, I thought I would post this info I got from one of the comments on hackaday.  It seems if you enter HALFMSPTOOL at checkout you can get half off any tool.  Ok, big deal, so you get the launchpad for $2.15, but you can get the $49 wireless experimenter kit that comes with several extra boards and uses a 32K part for $24.50!  Even better, this is in stock.

Also I would guess the wireless watch kit would work for $24.50, but that item is out of stock atm.  I am getting the wireless kit because I have a particular application in mind, and $24.50 for all that hardware is just too good to pass up.

Edit: here is the link to the wireless kit http://www.ti-estore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EZ430-RF2500
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:18:57 am by KTP »

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 01:32:49 pm »
Hi  :)

I ordered 2 units of the LaunchPad on Friday. Has anyone received their boards? I wonder how long it will take them to be shipped.

I was going to order them from Mouser, they have lots of them in stock, but the shipping price is higher than the 2 boards.  >:(

Offline nessatse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
I actually got a phone call from TI today after my second email complaining about my inability to complete the order on their web site.  I didn't quite get the explanation for the problem, but the good news is that they took my order over the phone.  I was told they would allow up to five units per order, so I took three.  Apparently there are 6000+ units on backorder. 

There was also a long and complicated explanation of how the initial reservation on my credit card would include a $25 shipping fee, but this would be reversed as soon as the order is shipped.  Lets see how that one works out...

Overall I am quite impressed that they bothered to come back to me (with a long International phone call) at all for such a minor order.  I am not used to that level of service where I come from.

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »
Yeah I've been trying to order from their eStore for a few days now, and it's never worked. I've lost interest in it. The half off the $50 wireless dev board seems pretty good though.

Offline domm123

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »
I also have problem checking out the launchpad, if you are like me , getting this error:
Unable to authorize payment: Error reading from 'https://www.ti-estore.com/auth.asp': Invalid HTTP response .

Just click the contiune button again, and it will be ok.

But my concern now is that 2 Transaction Pending Settlement end up in my credit card statement:
TEXAS INSTRUMENTS FUL BILLERICA MA USD4.30
TEXAS INSTRUMENTS FUL BILLERICA MA USD1.00

Anybody knows what is that extra $1 is for?

Thanks

Offline Matt

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:46 pm »
the $1 is a temp charge to the account, to make sure money is available.  a LOT of retailers do this.  it should clear by itself in a business day or two

Offline TheDirtyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 01:43:14 am »
Anybody asking about the viability of replacing Atmel or PIC should see my earlier posts.  This development platform only advertises it works with the valueline series of MSP430 which is max 2K flash.  This is extremely limited.  If you are really thinking of getting into MSP430 get one of the EZ430 development kits.

MSP430 Microcontroller Basics is a great primer for MSP430 programming and is useful for people starting out from nothing or with some microcontroller experience.  I'm not certain why, but if you can google it and find the PDF around real easy.
Mark Higgins

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:00 am »
I dunno, no online store has ever tested my credit card with a $1 charge, especially when they can just use the original charge.

I think I'm going to get the half price $25 watch EVM. Seems fun to play with. Wireless comm, accelorometer, temperature sensor, pressure sensor.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/EZ430-Chronos

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07:58 am »
I dunno, no online store has ever tested my credit card with a $1 charge, especially when they can just use the original charge.

I think I'm going to get the half price $25 watch EVM. Seems fun to play with. Wireless comm, accelorometer, temperature sensor, pressure sensor.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/EZ430-Chronos

I know! the watch is tempting.  I actually wanted a watch with a pressure sensor to use while hiking (for a crude altimeter when gps is not available or when I don't want to wait for a fix).  I don't think there exists a watch with a altimeter for less than $25...the other stuff is just gravy :-)

Offline Matt

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 02:09:30 am »
It's a pre-authorization/pending charge thing, and not just for online purchases.  I see it alot when using a debit card as credit, especially at gas stations.  Like others, I had trouble ordering the TI board and the $1 charges cleared themselves up.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 04:39:29 am »
It's a pre-authorization/pending charge thing, and not just for online purchases.

I can confirm this, used to see it all the time when I worked in credit card fraud detection. It's a technique often used by a merchant to validate the existence of a credit card number and it's attached identity, and the small amount is usually refunded in short order. It's also used by credit card thieves to see if a card's been locked. They'll buy $1 of gas at a card only pump to test it and then go on an electronics buying spree.

Order update
My order was placed on TI's site on the 23rd and I just received an email (29th) with a tracking number saying it's shipped FedEx standard. I'm in the US, and in their time zone. I checked the tracking number and it's shipping Priority with an estimated arrival of 1030 tomorrow morning (30th)! We shall see.

Offline TheDirtyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:50 pm »
I suggest using Code Composer rather than IAR, unless this will be a business expense.  Code Composer has a higher code size limit on the free version (16K) and a cheaper buy in price if for some reason you want the full deal.  Version 4 of CCS has been pretty nice to work with.  This is assuming you graduate out of the 2k valueline. 
Mark Higgins

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »
Order update
My order was placed on TI's site on the 23rd and I just received an email (29th) with a tracking number saying it's shipped FedEx standard. I'm in the US, and in their time zone. I checked the tracking number and it's shipping Priority with an estimated arrival of 1030 tomorrow morning (30th)! We shall see.

Six days... mmhh  :o

I placed mine on the 25th, I hope I will receive the shipping mail by tomorrow.  ??? ::)

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 10:40:33 pm »
Final Order Update -
It hath arrived. They shipped it priority and I'm rifling through it as I write this.
Hope you guys get yours as fast. I must admit, I'm impressed.

Offline marianoapp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:53 am »
the "Free Fedex" option is actually free on international orders?

Offline nessatse

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 10:39:34 am »
the "Free Fedex" option is actually free on international orders?
It is supposed to be according to their help desk.  They explained to me that they will initially charge me $25 for shipping, and then reverse the charges when the stuff is actually shipped.  I did not bother to find out the reason for this strange modus operandi.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf