Author Topic: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30  (Read 49253 times)

Offline TheDirtyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »
Looks like an Arduino style hardware breakout, but you still use a standard C development platform for compiling/programming.  It comes with the programmer on board.  $4.30

I've used MSP430's for a while, but I've pretty much given up on them since they had a huge supply issue for about 6 months.  Looks like they still don't have the 22xx series in at Digikey in QFN.

I might order one just for the price, though.  Free Shipping, but I'm not certain what the shipping area is.  Might be just NA, or USA.
https://e2e.ti.com/videos/m/microcontroller/185811.aspx
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Launchpadwiki?DCMP=launchpad&HQS=Other+OT+launchpadwiki
http://hackaday.com/2010/06/22/ti-makes-a-big-bid-for-the-hobby-market/

EDIT:  The chips supplied with the board are simple tiny 2k chips, so keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:00:23 pm by TheDirty »
Mark Higgins

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
Re: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:07:37 pm »
Dude, that's pretty cool for $4.30

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »
Wow.  Is the 'hobby' market that big?  Thanks for the links will give it a test run.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline desolatordan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:00:30 pm »
Wow.  Is the 'hobby' market that big?  Thanks for the links will give it a test run.

Not sure if it's the size of the hobby market, as much as the impact it could have on other markets. Your electrical engineer will likely have a bias towards what they've used in the past, be it school or hobby.

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:07 pm »
Been trying to load TI's eStore to buy it for the past few hours but no luck. Mouser looks like they'll have 10k in stock on 7/5.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »
I don't think I'll be ordering after all.  It looks like it's limited to the Valueline of chips which have a max flash RAM of 2k.  I'm just not going to use this.

If you want to get into MSP430's in general the best option for a hobbyist is still the eZ430.  The eZ430-F2013 is still just $25.00.  With an adapter the EZ430 USB dongle can in circuit program and debug most of the Spy-By-Wire enabled chips.  I'm using the dongle from the EZ430-RF2500, which I got on a TI deal day.

Like this:

Mark Higgins

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:21 am »
I just shot a rambling drivetime rant on this one.

Dave.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:37 am »

Dave.

Post it already!
-Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:52:37 am »
Too bad, I won't see it until next Tuesday.  I'm outta here to act crazy for 6 days.
Mark Higgins

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:38 am »

Dave.

Post it already!

Gotta wait till I get home, then edit and render, then post-process into MP4 HD and Podcast versions, and generate the MP3 audio version, then upload and publish. Makes me dizzy just typing it...

Dave.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:39:08 am »

Dave.

Post it already!

Gotta wait till I get home, then edit and render, then post-process into MP4 HD and Podcast versions, and generate the MP3 audio version, then upload and publish. Makes me dizzy just typing it...

Dave.

You need an intern. :)

Offline dmlandrum

• Regular Contributor
  • The Eternal Prototyper
    • The Eternal Prototyper
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 03:56:45 am »
Good rant or bad rant? I'm thinking about snagging one of these just for the hell of it, since I can actually afford this one. Is there really anything to lose at $4.30?
Darren Landrum

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 03:58:08 am »
Good rant or bad rant? I'm thinking about snagging one of these just for the hell of it, since I can actually afford this one. Is there really anything to lose at $4.30?

my thoughts exactly.
-Time

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 04:04:32 am »

Good and bad.
As always I find something to have a whinge about!
Outstandingly good value, get one.

Dave.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 04:26:45 am »
Do they have really cheap or free shipping or is it $4.30 + $25 shipping?

The store was down when I tried to find out.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 04:35:25 am »

After trying occasionally all day I just my order in. For one unit, directly from TI's Estore, the shipping was free.
There was an ominous mention of calling their service line for a ship date, but I'm not in a hurry.
It'll make for a nice surprise when it does show up. :D

I've seen it said that Mouser will have a couple thousand in early next month, but I'd expect those to go wicked quick.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:57 am »
i feel a pain when switching from atmel to pic vice versa. now this new cheap item is coming, i'm in dilemma. it might be good, or bad in term of application.
surely the price is nonlogically cheap! its like just giving it away for free, u only pay for a cheap shipping. i suspect they want to penerate the atmel or pic market.
my dilemma will be, is it worth it? the time that i need to spend to learn this new chip? features? whats so good about the msp430 line that we cannot get in atmel or pic? will it be easily available for a long time to come? just as pic well known reputation is? for me, its not just the cheap price, but the future long term investment, time, effort and productivity?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:34 am »

After trying occasionally all day I just my order in. For one unit, directly from TI's Estore, the shipping was free.
There was an ominous mention of calling their service line for a ship date, but I'm not in a hurry.

I've seen it said that Mouser will have a couple thousand in early next month, but I'd expect those to go wicked quick.

Tried to order from the launchpad wiki, and it directed me to Mouser, but they wanted $30 shipping to Australia.
Just ordered 2 from ti-estore, there was a $0 FedEx shipping option, selected that and the order was accepted.
Should be a nice surprise whenever it finally arrives, can always give them away to interested people locally.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:34 am »

Tried to order from the launchpad wiki, and it directed me to Mouser, but they wanted $30 shipping to Australia.
Just ordered 2 from ti-estore, there was a $0 FedEx shipping option, selected that and the order was accepted.
Should be a nice surprise whenever it finally arrives, can always give them away to interested people locally.

Free Fedex to Oz?
I'm in!
I've ordered 3.
Interestingly you can't order more than 3.

Dave.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:03:30 am by EEVblog »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:28 am »
All your questions, I have the same.  In the end for $5, is it worth learning something new?
If it bombs, you are out a sandwich or coffee, so I think I'll bite and check it out.

i feel a pain when switching from atmel to pic vice versa. now this new cheap item is coming, i'm in dilemma. it might be good, or bad in term of application.
surely the price is nonlogically cheap! its like just giving it away for free, u only pay for a cheap shipping. i suspect they want to penerate the atmel or pic market.
my dilemma will be, is it worth it? the time that i need to spend to learn this new chip? features? whats so good about the msp430 line that we cannot get in atmel or pic? will it be easily available for a long time to come? just as pic well known reputation is? for me, its not just the cheap price, but the future long term investment, time, effort and productivity?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Polossatik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:53:15 pm »
Also ordered a few, one to mess around and some to give out to people here ...
Real Circuit design time in minutes= (2 + Nscopes) Testim + (40 +120 Kbrewski) Nfriends

Testim = estimated time in minutes Nscopes= number of oscilloscopes present Kbrewski = linear approx of the nonlinear beer effect Nfriends = number of circuit design friends present

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:43 pm »
they have some pretty cheap pretty neat items on that page.

I like the 2.4Ghz wireless usb stick development board that comes with 2 transceivers:

http://focus.ti.com/graphics/tool/ez430-rf2500.jpg

I may have to look into these devices...I have always been an atmel person but...

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »
In for 2.

Is is just me or is ti store getting hammered from all the traffic looking into this?

they have some pretty cheap pretty neat items on that page.

I like the 2.4Ghz wireless usb stick development board that comes with 2 transceivers:

http://focus.ti.com/graphics/tool/ez430-rf2500.jpg

I may have to look into these devices...I have always been an atmel person but...

The 50USD RF watch with 3-axis accelerometer certainly got my attention
http://www.ti-estore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=eZ430-Chronos-433
Might get on of those when I got the time.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:04 pm »
i tried to order but got problem when trying to pay by creditcard. it said unable to connect, unauthorized server ti.estore or something like that.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 05:04:28 am »
Just an update, from an email I received from TI a few hours ago.

Thank you for recently requesting semiconductor EVM sales samples from Texas Instruments. The items below are currently on back order.

Part Number             Qty Ordered Qty Shipped Status     
-------------------- -----------  -----------  ------------
MSP-EXP430G2                   1           0           BackOrdered

Please contact your local Product Information Center (PIC) for updated lead times. http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/dsnsuprt.tsp

I guess they had a bit more demand than they expected. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf