Author Topic: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30  (Read 49236 times)

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
Re: MSP430 LaunchPad - $4.30
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »
the "Free Fedex" option is actually free on international orders?
It is supposed to be according to their help desk.  They explained to me that they will initially charge me $25 for shipping, and then reverse the charges when the stuff is actually shipped.  I did not bother to find out the reason for this strange modus operandi.

That's good to know, I will deposit that amount in my card just in case they decide to do so.

Offline NJC

• MSP430 LaunchPad Blog
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 04:17:24 pm »
I just wanted to comment on one of the earlier posts in this topic. The one that said the ez430 is probably a better option. I use the ez430, and love it, and was super excited to see this board.

The LaunchPad has 100% of the functionality that the ez430 programmer has. The programmer circuits are almost exactly the same. Both devices can program any of TIs devices that work with Spy-Bi-Wire (2-Wire JTAG), on my blog (under the post "Just Ordered my New LaunchPad!") I link to one of their data sheets that lists all the devices that can be programmed with Spy-Bi-Wire.  Some of the chips it can program are really impressive.

To be honest, I will not be using this with the value line processors, at least until they come out with more devices that have the peripherals I am looking for. To me, this is the cheapest programmer I've ever seen, and can't wait to get mine to use with my F2013 (the chip that came with the ez430) since I had a mishap with my ez430 programmer.

-NJC

Offline TheDirtyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 02:08:48 am »
I just wanted to comment on one of the earlier posts in this topic. The one that said the ez430 is probably a better option. I use the ez430, and love it, and was super excited to see this board.
I'm the one that said that and it was based on their description.  If it has the same functionality as the USB FET for the eZ430 than that's pretty good.

Be aware that not all chips that support Spy-By-Wire can be programmed by the ez430 USB FET.  For example, the 5xx series are not programmable with it.
Mark Higgins

Offline NJC

• MSP430 LaunchPad Blog
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2010, 08:18:19 am »
TheDirty,

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the ez430 didn't support the 5xx series. My 5xx samples are in the mail, that would have caused a pretty big headache. I did see after just looking around at the 5xx that it can be programmed by its own USB connection, though those kind of things are never too easy though.

As for the LaunchPad, I'm going to send a direct question into TI to make sure but from their wiki they say this:
"The flash emulator can program all Value Line MSP430s, as well as any other MSP430 with the Spy Bi-Wire (2-wire JTAG) interface, enabling complete scalability to higher end MSP430 devices. List of MSP430 devices with Spy Bi-Wire interface is located here, in table 2-1"

Still sketchy though since they say its the firmware for the MSP430 that makes it not able to program the 5xx, but yet if they have it for LaunchPad I can't imagine it being too difficult to port to the ez430.

Offline McPete

• Regular Contributor
  • Layout Designer, AKA eCAD monkey
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 11:52:29 am »
Ordered mine in a "Why the hell not?" frame of mind. Seems the amount has been deducted from my account, but I get no confirmation emails, no ability to log in to the TI eStore. Huurrr, internet commerce -_-.

Offline domm123

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 12:43:35 pm »
For those who are going to order the launchpad you can enter this coupon code: HALFMSPTOOL to get 50% off!!

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »
For those who are going to order the launchpad you can enter this coupon code: HALFMSPTOOL to get 50% off!!

Yeah, cause they are clearly ripping you off at the moment..

Ordered mine in a "Why the hell not?" frame of mind. Seems the amount has been deducted from my account, but I get no confirmation emails, no ability to log in to the TI eStore. Huurrr, internet commerce -_-.

I got an order number and the status says it has been shipped ^_^

Offline TheDirtyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 01:12:11 pm »
Still sketchy though since they say its the firmware for the MSP430 that makes it not able to program the 5xx, but yet if they have it for LaunchPad I can't imagine it being too difficult to port to the ez430.
This has been brought up before on the MSP430 list and it was pretty much concluded that it was a hardware issue or they would have given support a while ago.

The USB FET that comes with the TI Chronos watch does support the 5xx, so if you find the launchpad does not, you can spend the $25 with the coupon and try that out.
Mark Higgins

Offline Valhallasmith

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 10:34:53 am »
I've had mine for a little while, but I finally started playing with it.  I'm not that interested in the value line MSP430s though.  So I'm strapping a CC430F6137 to it.  That is a MSP430 and a sub ghz radio all in one.  I'm doing this dead bug as usual but the pitch on the part is smaller than usual.  Actually its to the point where I am using a single strand of wire from a piece of stranded wire.  So I'll finish this once my SCC-690A super fine tip for my metcal comes in.  And some magnifying clip on glasses.  I can get the strand soldered on the pad, but its guess work and I end up unsoldering something else.

But after looking at the launchpad schematics and the application schematics for the CC430, it looks like it will work fine.  I'm not going to bother with the RF portion right now, it requires a crystal I don't have.  Once I get this together I will put up something about using the launchpad for other chips.

Offline NJC

• MSP430 LaunchPad Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 10:53:59 am »
The USB FET that comes with the TI Chronos watch does support the 5xx, so if you find the launchpad does not, you can spend the $25 with the coupon and try that out.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting the MSP430 Wireless Development Tool if the half off thing really works. I might actually have a need for it in the future even! lol.

@Valhallasmith
Def let me know when you post something on using the LaunchPad for other chips, I'm going to be trying to do the same once my board comes in.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:10:15 pm by NJC »

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 04:10:06 am »
Do they have really cheap or free shipping or is it $4.30 + $25 shipping?

The store was down when I tried to find out.

After trying occasionally all day I just my order in. For one unit, directly from TI's Estore, the shipping was free.
There was an ominous mention of calling their service line for a ship date, but I'm not in a hurry.
It'll make for a nice surprise when it does show up. :D

I've seen it said that Mouser will have a couple thousand in early next month, but I'd expect those to go wicked quick.

Tried to order from the launchpad wiki, and it directed me to Mouser, but they wanted $30 shipping to Australia.
Just ordered 2 from ti-estore, there was a $0 FedEx shipping option, selected that and the order was accepted.
Should be a nice surprise whenever it finally arrives, can always give them away to interested people locally.

Excellent - just received my fedex tracking number - should be here in oz by Wednesday next week :D

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 03:44:49 pm »
the HALFMSPTOOL coupon has expired!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »

Oh man, that'll teach me to procrastinate -- I was thinking of ordering one of the wireless kits to play with -- but was waiting for the Launchpad to arrive in case there were any nasty surprises.  Oh well...

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:59 pm »
"Unable to authorize payment: Error reading from 'https://www.ti-estore.com/auth.asp': Invalid HTTP response"  message still persist even hundreds times of click!
*** TI SUX !!! *** ...
this is a one year after "edit": for some reason, in some area, TI is THUMBS UP!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:51:36 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 07:52:27 am »
Same thing for me. I use my credit cards without issues continuously but TI don't like them. Very bad service.

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »
It seems that there's a lot of people trying to get their board samples at the same time. Fortunately, when I placed my order my credit card was accepted without problems.

Offline McPete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 01:38:50 am »
I've been refunded and told to buy from a local supplier- Farnell Australia is selling them for $12AU each, and I don't doubt they'll want shipping.

I'll just keep going with PICs for now then :P

Offline Valhallasmith

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2010, 01:51:14 am »
@Valhallasmith
Def let me know when you post something on using the LaunchPad for other chips, I'm going to be trying to do the same once my board comes in. 

Looks like I need to change my plan of attack.  I can solder a stand of wire to the pads of the VQFN but the connection is just too fragile.  Its a very small pad.  And my wire bonding machine is in the shop. :D So I'm making up some dextin and using toner transfer to make up a board.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2010, 05:49:32 am »
I've been refunded and told to buy from a local supplier- Farnell Australia is selling them for $12AU each, and I don't doubt they'll want shipping.

Farnell with ship for free if you order online (minimum spend $10)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:46:25 am by tronixstuff »

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2010, 08:45:16 am »
So I'm making up some dextin and using toner transfer to make up a board.

You roll your own dextrin paper?! Wow!

I'd never heard of that working reliably, I'm inspired to go looking for better instructions now. :D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:25 am »

Farnell with ship for free if you order online (minimum spend $10)

In Australia there is now no minimum spend at either Farnell or RS, they will overnight courier a 1cent resistor for free!

Dave.

Offline McPete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
In Australia there is now no minimum spend at either Farnell or RS, they will overnight courier a 1cent resistor for free!

That I did not know... Well, there goes my grand plan to get out of home before the end of the year :P

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:22 am »

30OFFMSPTOOL will get you 30% off

Offline Valhallasmith

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2010, 02:48:32 am »
So I'm making up some dextin and using toner transfer to make up a board.

You roll your own dextrin paper?! Wow!

I'd never heard of that working reliably, I'm inspired to go looking for better instructions now. :D

I'm trying something new actually.  Instead of paper I'm using dextrin coated tinfoil.  It didn't turn out so good tonight, but I think its because the laser printer I used doesn't put much toner down.  I might try photocopying it at staples tomorrow and see if that will put more toner down.

My basic process is
Make dextrin:  about 1/4 cup corn starch cooked 1.5 hours at 400 deg C mix every 20 minutes.  Don't over cook, that reduces the water solubility of it as much as under cooking.  It should be golden yellow.

Coat tinfoil.  Using a disposable pneumatic sprayer coat the dull side of the tinfoil with a dextin solution.  I cut mine with rubbing alcohol which probably isn't great.  The mixture separates quickly, next time I probably will just use water.  Put a few coat on the aluminum.

Cut up the foil and tape it at the top to a piece of paper.

Print!

Laminate:  Press onto copper that has been roughed with steel wool and acetone.  

Let this cool for a bit.

Soak in water with a little soap in it for 1/2 an hour - 1 hour.

Etch with ferric chloride, clean with more acetone.

Presto, perfect traces (in theory).
My goal is to get 8 mil spaces and traces.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:50:15 am by Valhallasmith »

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:33 am »
Do they have really cheap or free shipping or is it $4.30 + $25 shipping?

The store was down when I tried to find out.

After trying occasionally all day I just my order in. For one unit, directly from TI's Estore, the shipping was free.
There was an ominous mention of calling their service line for a ship date, but I'm not in a hurry.
It'll make for a nice surprise when it does show up. :D

I've seen it said that Mouser will have a couple thousand in early next month, but I'd expect those to go wicked quick.

Tried to order from the launchpad wiki, and it directed me to Mouser, but they wanted $30 shipping to Australia.
Just ordered 2 from ti-estore, there was a $0 FedEx shipping option, selected that and the order was accepted.
Should be a nice surprise whenever it finally arrives, can always give them away to interested people locally.

Excellent - just received my fedex tracking number - should be here in oz by Wednesday next week :D
Hooray - arrived today!
[edit] just finished dinner and new Top Gear...

*sigh*
no real Linux support of any use. If TI wanted to go after Arduino people, they would have made running this thing on macos or ubuntu a lot simpler.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:10:06 am by tronixstuff »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf