Author Topic: Multi-Tool for DIY electronics  (Read 18477 times)

Offline BokononTopic starter

Multi-Tool for DIY electronics
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »
What do you think is a handy multi-tool for the many different tasks involved with electronics.  I was thinking about getting a Leatherman Squirt: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_ES4 for its needlenose-ish pliers and various wire strippers. 

While it's handy I think that it could be improved in a few ways.  The wire cutter is nice but it would be great to have it flush.  Also the screw driver could use a long and skinny shaft to reach into screw recesses, maybe with a flippable phillips and flat tip.  Also a 30 AWG stripper for wire wrap wire would be nice.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
Re: Multi-Tool for DIY electronics
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
I have been thinking about the Leatherman Juice S2. I think is handyer because it has the philips screwdriver. After all, I always end up stripping wires with pliers.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »
What do you think is a handy multi-tool for the many different tasks involved with electronics.
i have leatherman wave like clone. and i think i'm not a fan of it indoor. but it will be handy when outdoor where you have nothing or hard to bring all the gadgetries around.
i also have smaller leatherman version whose purpose is only idling on my desk.

for indoor i prefer more dedicated tools...
http://76.my/Malaysia/multi-wire-terminal-crimper-cutter-stripper-pliers-88996-1009-16-aaronngu77@1.jpg
http://76.my/Malaysia/38-1-high-rigidity-ultra-precision-alloy-screwdriver-set-mobile-pho-1004-26-gmh81@11.jpg
http://76.my/Malaysia/wire-cutter-stripper-pliers-tool-150mm-wn218n-1003-24-aaronngu77@6.jpg
i will get the flat cutter like dave's when i come across the hardware shop.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:55:48 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »
Can I have the last one ( from the links)  as gift ?   :D

HLA-27b

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:26 am »
My favorite is Swisstool Spirit Plus

Swiss guys definitely know how to do these things.

I loaded mine with thin neck long bits and also torx t25 and t30's.
It's amazing how handy it is. If I ever loose it I'll have to buy a new one the next day.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:02:45 am »
looks like a pocket knife. smells a little of spam.

A tool that does many things and none of them well won't be a priority in any good tool kit.

HLA-27b

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:22 am »
A good toolkit with all the best tools stays at home and is not around when it is needed. I much prefer a so so tool that is at hand when it is needed. Is this spam btw? I can remove the picture...

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:21:23 am »
A good toolkit with all the best tools stays at home and is not around when it is needed. I much prefer a so so tool that is at hand when it is needed. Is this spam btw? I can remove the picture...

I just cant come at half assed tools at any time, I should invest in a designer wheelbarrow to cart the toolboxes about when on site.

The spam reference wasn't pointed at you, apologies I should have made that clear.
When post number one from a post count of one links to an apparent bargain on a vendor site, my spam detector begins to show movement.   Cheers

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:49:50 am »
Got a cheapy leatherman style clone from Aldi's just for the car glovebox only.
never used it for anything serious.
oh wait I did use the blade to cut the tag of the wifes new pair of shoes recently  :P
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Vertigo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:44:43 am »
i have a leatherman charge AL, which is the same as a 'wave' model,
except that it has more high grade blade steel on the knife blades (154cm vs 420hc in the wave)
its a great tool, but due to it being rather heavy it is not very likely to be on your person at all times.

anyways i would like to point out that the wave and charge come with a bit driver that takes
leathermans proprietary flat bits, but you can get this same capability in a bit holder that
can be attached to the phillips head screwdriver in the juice models.

personally i have the leatherman on my desk, but for carrying around i much prefer the victorinox swiss army knives.
i like the form factor much better for carrying, and the scissors are much better then on leathermans. (though the scissors in the juice
are significantly larger) i use the scissors all the time to cut leads of trough hole components and strip wire and things like that.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:23:55 am »
Fine, if doing once off job but it's very annoying to operate. I find them very hard to grip. I have many Leatherman, they are very handy especially when it comes to onsite servicing but it's not a tool that can replace everything. I would usually resort to a proper tool. Nowadays, I use them to prune big three trunks, the saw is superb.

Offline BokononTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:33 am »
Sorry if it looks like spam, figured I'd start a discussion I'm interested in with my first post.  I hope it helps that I was pointing out that that tool is inadequate in certain areas. 

Of course a multi tool not at good at doing a certain job than dedicated tools.  That isn't the point of it o_O.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:09 am »
Sorry if it looks like spam

Not a problem, sure it wasn't intentional.  Welcome to the forum. looks like your not alone in a love of pocket tools. Enjoy.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:11 am »
I believe that those  " tools " if you can call them as " tools ", they are good so to handle one small emergency,
when your precious tool box is miles away, and you are lost in to a camping spot, trying to fix the plug of the antenna for the portable TV.

There is no Multi-Tool for DIY electronics, and the title of this topic it is a bit elusive.  :)

Follow this topic for more info, if you do like such compact mini tools.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1105.0

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:09:58 am »
I believe that those  " tools " if you can call them as " tools ", they are good so to handle one small emergency,
when your precious tool box is miles away, and you are lost in to a camping spot, trying to fix the plug of the antenna for the portable TV.

There is no Multi-Tool for DIY electronics, and the title of this topic it is a bit elusive.  :)

Follow this topic for more info, if you do like such compact mini tools.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1105.0

Why would anyone want a portable TV while camping?  :o  The things people do.  :-\

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:57 am »

Why would anyone want a portable TV while camping?  :o  The things people do.  :-\

It looks that you do not have friends that they are fanatic's about watching football on TV .. LOL   

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 09:31:22 am »

It looks that you do not have friends that they are fanatic's about watching football on TV .. LOL

Actually I have a life!  ;) And a smartphone!  to cater for such urgent updates.  ;D   The only reason I can think of for someone to lug an actual TV into the bush, would be if they had no intention of bringing it back. And I cannot condone that sort of littering.  ???

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:00 am »
And a smartphone!
is it sattelite phone? if not, you'll only see "black and white ants" scattering around your monitor randomly.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
And a smartphone!
is it sattelite phone? if not, you'll only see "black and white ants" scattering around your monitor randomly.

No ants on my monitor, What are you talking about? You can try and stick some ants on if your brave.  :o

Re: reception it's ok I'm not on Voda.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:00:13 am by Uncle Vernon »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
No ants on my monitor, What are you talking about?
this is what happen with no satellite access in the bush

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »

You must be with Vodafone!  ::)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 01:10:02 am »
No ants on my monitor, What are you talking about?

Ahh, I wonder how much time did I waste looking at that thing on the screen when the cable service was broken, oh memories  ::).

Offline PedroDiogo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »
As anyone tried tools made by Swiss Tech before? I found them on a quick search through amazon and their tools seem pretty good and at a fairly cheap price.

I think I will buy this one, because many times when I'm at college I need to strip wires and never happen to have nothing to strip them with handy!
http://www.swisstechtools.com/productdetail.aspx?PID=Jqqivc4el7cA

Offline Vertigo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:29 am »
i don't own any myself, but those things have a good reputation in that they work well.
only downside is that those are a bit on the heavy side vs the number of tools you get.
(when you carry tons of crap like i do it becomes an issue)
but if that doesn't put you off, i'd say go for it.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »
What do you think is a handy multi-tool for the many different tasks involved with electronics.
i have leatherman wave like clone. and i think i'm not a fan of it indoor. but it will be handy when outdoor where you have nothing or hard to bring all the gadgetries around.
i also have smaller leatherman version whose purpose is only idling on my desk.

for indoor i prefer more dedicated tools...
http://76.my/Malaysia/multi-wire-terminal-crimper-cutter-stripper-pliers-88996-1009-16-aaronngu77@1.jpg
http://76.my/Malaysia/38-1-high-rigidity-ultra-precision-alloy-screwdriver-set-mobile-pho-1004-26-gmh81@11.jpg
http://76.my/Malaysia/wire-cutter-stripper-pliers-tool-150mm-wn218n-1003-24-aaronngu77@6.jpg
i will get the flat cutter like dave's when i come across the hardware shop.

How's the quality of the bit/handle set?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf