Author Topic: My build for the summer  (Read 5477 times)

Offline zarnold16Topic starter

• Contributor
My build for the summer
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:27:48 pm »
This summer I want to build a new custom computer desk/electronics lab. I have all the dimensions and space planned out except I don't know what I should put on it (Like what tools and equipment, or cool desk toys) and what some tips for a electronics lab would be (Like surface, what not to do, etc.)? Also once I get this space what is a cool project or kit I should tackle.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
Re: My build for the summer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 08:36:21 pm »
I'd say you're doing this the wrong way around. Work out what sort of projects you want to do first, then the equipment you need to do it, and then build the workstation.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:44:35 pm »
I'd say you're doing this the wrong way around. Work out what sort of projects you want to do first, then the equipment you need to do it, and then build the workstation.

Then when that's done decide.... "I laid this place out all wrong"
Rinse and repeat for eternity.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
Heres my humble toughts

First rule, you need more space then you planned. Trust me...

Second rule, keep most important tools at electronics bench: power supply you use, oscilloscope, multimeter, etc... In fact you electronics desk should have its own shelf for these most likely.

Third rule: Tools travel... Other tools should have their right place as well, otherwise they will travel to your desk...

Have separate computer desk close by electronics desk, you will want to look those datasheets often... Even better if you can manage flat monitor, small keyboard and mouse on electronics desk somehow. Computer itself should not be on desk, it takes already precious space.

If money allows, get one of those good quality anti-static mats thats cut and heat proof..

Small components, have separate shelving for organizing them.

Light, you need more of it then you think now. Consider adding more. If electronics desk has shelf for bigger items, under that is good place for some led strips for extra light.

Good, easily view-able clock, So you remember to get some sleep when its hitting 4 AM and your doing super interesting project...

One more thing, power strips, you need them, you need one or two more of them then you think... My desk has places for 7 power hungry items and im running out and need upgrade bigger strips soon.. After adding oscilloscope i have one empty socket left...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:48:58 pm by lapm »
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:16 pm »
Well I want to do basic electronics and learn. I need a desk so I decided to make it multi-purpose. I have a soldering iron.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »
Can someone send me a good DIY fume extractor because right now i'm using a fan to blow it away?

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »
Can someone send me a good DIY fume extractor because right now i'm using a fan to blow it away?

Fan blowing away is good for starters. A good extractor uses big fan and active carbon filters usually. Personally i still use just fan blowing it away.

If there's window close by you could build small DIY from flexible aluminium air tubing and fan, but suction end needs to sit very close to soldering point to have some effect. Other end would of course be on outside of house. Winter and climate conditions may prevent this solution..

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:00:42 pm »
Well I want to do basic electronics and learn. I need a desk so I decided to make it multi-purpose. I have a soldering iron.

You want a cheap temperature controlled soldering station, a couple of multimeters, some sort of psu, and if you can afford it a small antistatic mat, but you could make do with a cutting mat.

Don't go over the top, get other stuff as and when.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:04:52 pm »
What is a good surface to solder on top of? Im gonna make my desk out of plywood that is stained and then I will put polyurethane on it. Would a tile inserted on it work well?

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:44 am »
What is a good surface to solder on top of? Im gonna make my desk out of plywood that is stained and then I will put polyurethane on it. Would a tile inserted on it work well?

Anything you are willing to sacrifice and docent burn. Personally i have wooden bench and one of those green cutting mats to protect it a bit. Works well enough since i don't usually drop hot solder anymore.

Like i mentioned earlier, best option would be proper anti-static mat that's cut and heat resistant, but cutting mat is ok for start. Just don't forget your soldering iron on it. You can always upgrade to better equipment later when you figure you have reached end of what current stuff works...

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:55:34 am »
If you plan to work on projects that need computer interfaces its a very good idea to have a computer at your electronic bench. Doesn't have to be flash just enough to run the tools you need
That way its easy to make measurements with the scope/dmm and tweak code etc.. You can also use the PC with a USB microscope for inspection/soldiering

Trying to run cables between your electronics desk and computer desk gets anoying very fast and you end up moving test equipment to your PC desk and then its not available for electronics at your electronics desk  :palm:
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:34:17 pm »
A is the Area for my computer, B is my soldering area, and C are my extra plugs. That is my current design and I is made to fit in my room. Just i'm thinking about in area B putting some tiles since they are cheap, pretty heat resistant and can be easily replaced if need. What are your ideas?

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 08:42:19 am »
A is the Area for my computer, B is my soldering area, and C are my extra plugs. That is my current design and I is made to fit in my room. Just i'm thinking about in area B putting some tiles since they are cheap, pretty heat resistant and can be easily replaced if need. What are your ideas?

Nice picture, i would probably go for two shelfs in electronics, 30 cm clearance in height and that should leave plenty of room, asuming room height allows it. Storage space is precious...

Just put one tile, depending on size of course (30cm*30cm is plenty), you dont want to cover whole desk with them. Since tiles are not most pcb/component friendly material. And use proper adjustable soldering station with iron stand...

About power strips, two is ok if they are long. Would probably go with three in case of combined electronics/computer desk. My personal experience tells me you always need more power points then you anticipated... And electronics building seems to be one of those hobbies that you start and then you start gaining more equipment over time and all those need power to run...

My personal power slot usage is as follows:
Flats screen monitor, adjustable power supply, soldering station, oscilloscope, Adjustable fluorescent desk lamp (i did mention about need of good light previously), rasperry-pi (control experiments/irc-machine), my old desktop computer (datasheet storage, etc...), +5 and +12 volt fixed power supplies. Few spare power slots for future things...

Thats 9 slots just to things i like to keep available all the time ( they are not all powered up same time of course..) + few spare slots...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:57:15 am by lapm »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 02:06:41 pm »
+1 for plenty of power outlets.  :-+

I have a set up similar to what you plan. I have a 10 way Belkin outlet box, an APC 6 outlet strip, and a regular 3 outlet extension cord. There are only 2 outlets not in use.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 02:15:59 pm »
+1 for plenty of power outlets.  :-+

I have a set up similar to what you plan. I have a 10 way Belkin outlet box, an APC 6 outlet strip, and a regular 3 outlet extension cord. There are only 2 outlets not in use.

Can you send pics?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 07:13:20 am »
Can you send pics?

Well, I don't have a good camera at the moment or I would, but if you're just looking for ideas, check out this thread (if you haven't already).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf