Author Topic: How much are old home computers worth?  (Read 11915 times)

jucole

How much are old home computers worth?
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23243069

"A computer from 1976 that originally retailed for $666.66 is to be auctioned and could fetch up to $500,000.
The Apple-I computer was one of the first 25 computer elements designed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in their famous California garage.
About 200 were made but most have disappeared or been discarded, with only around 30 to 50 still believed to be in existence."

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How much are old home computers worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:03:49 pm »
Sure, a few historically significant models are worth a small fortune. Like the Apple I or a MITS Altair.  Original IBM PCs (Model 5150) have some collector appeal, but aren't all that valuable. I sold a working Compaq Portable (significant as the first IBM clone machine) for $200 a couple years ago, FWIW.

The more common crusty 286/386 machines hiding in closets and basements are worth next to nothing.

"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23243069

"A computer from 1976 that originally retailed for $666.66 is to be auctioned and could fetch up to $500,000.
The Apple-I computer was one of the first 25 computer elements designed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in their famous California garage.
About 200 were made but most have disappeared or been discarded, with only around 30 to 50 still believed to be in existence."

The quantity alone tells the story here. Anything collectible is always worth much much more when they are rare. Considering this computer was one of the very first home PCs ever made, the expected price doesn't really shock me.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:07:18 pm »
Usually not much. A few years ago I gave my entire 'collection' of MSX2 gear away for free. I was just happy someone else was interested in my old computers and maybe could use the parts to keep his machines running. I made more money selling the original service manuals on Ebay!

And stuff being rare doesn't mean its worth something. On a TV program about pawn shops one of the owners said 'something old is usually rare because nobody wanted it back then and unfortunately nobody wants it today'.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:26:14 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 05:44:17 pm »
I had the opportunity to acquire an old BBC micro for free, so I checked on e-bay to see if they are now considered historic and found that they were going for less than £50, mostly people were asking around £30 so not exactly a valuable antique! I regret giving away my own BBC micro though as that had a lot of sentimental value.

I have various ancient computers in a museum in the loft, including an Compaq SLT386 which I still think is a great design (lunch box sized with a separate little keyboard). It cost around £3k when my small company bought it.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:10:12 pm »
I sold a working Compaq Portable (significant as the first IBM clone machine) for $200 a couple years ago, FWIW.

I at one point purchased one of those for $20.00 myself. It depends on the person I guess.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Telequipment

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »
Over here in the UK ,you can see them left outside for the refuse people to collect, everyone want lcd screens and windows 8 . I have 26inch LCD,& had windows 7 put in the computer, couldn't get on with windows 7, it's a large screen but it doubles up as a TV ,as I never get to see any otherwise.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:21:30 pm »
I've just sold 35 ancient PCs for £50 and was happy to get that for them

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
How much are old home computers worth?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
One possible exclusion, legacy industrial pc. Sometimes company broke pc, and when it's an important piece, they're going to pay a lot of oney for,it
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:10 pm »
One possible exclusion, legacy industrial pc. Sometimes company broke pc, and when it's an important piece, they're going to pay a lot of oney for,it
...even the space industry.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »
And stuff being rare doesn't mean its worth something. On a TV program about pawn shops one of the owners said 'something old is usually rare because nobody wanted it back then and unfortunately nobody wants it today'.

Ahh, but you are taking my remark out of context. I said 'Anything collectible (i.e. that people want) is worth more when it is rare' not just anything rare is worth more.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:39 am »
Mint in a box anything, with all the options and extras included, that could be worth something.

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:30:01 am »
25€/kg recyling fee.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:23:00 am »
Apple owners always think their stuff is worth more than everyone else's  ;D

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 10:29:07 am »
I sold a single copy of an old and ratty 1980's Your Computer magazine that had the original Microbee article in it for over $100!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:55 am »
I think the only stuff worth anything would be new-in box, never used, as that would be very rare.
ISTR reading a while ago about a ZX80  unbuilt kit that went for I think a few hundred

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:09:37 am »
Still got a commodore pet somewhere, might be worth some pennies if it can be made to work. As for 1980s computer magazines I think I've got a whole boxfull, are they really worth anything?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:29:40 am »
Even a home computer 'new in box' will probably be broken. Chips don't have eternal life; plastic packages do let water in.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:27 am »
Some are rather rare and worth a few dollars, especially anything that's considered to be a "first". 
The first Apple of course commands the big bucks and is most likely the highest valued piece of vintage technology.
the Apple Lisa (first Graphical User Interface),
almost any CP/M machine,
the Altair 8000 (early build-it-yourself kit),
the GRiD Compass (first real laptop),
most early portable computers,
etc.

As for me, nothing past the 1980s is worth anything as far as a collectible.

Offline Spunky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 02:07:52 am »
In the 90s I was taking lots of CPM machines out of local authorities, breaking them down for parts and weighing in the metals. Old mini computers had really heavy chassis and made great mobile trolleys for welders and saws (we still have one with a chop saw mounted on it for cutting pipe)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf