Author Topic: my first pc build  (Read 52590 times)

Offline ArcamaxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
my first pc build
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »
So what do you guys think about this build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/rMfcD3 , i already have an external 3TB hard drive that im using.
So then i would just stick the OS on the 120gb SSD and a few average programs.

As i said what are your guy's opinions

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: my first pc build
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:53 pm »
I don't have any experience with that motherboard but the rest looks good.
I take it that cost is a major factor, and the reason for the processor choice.

Sue AF6LJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:58:26 pm »
yes

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:43 pm »
yes
It looks good to me I am assuming you are going to be using it for general stuff like email web browsing, medium number brunching, Watching videos that kind of stuff...

Sue AF6LJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »
It looks good to me I am assuming you are going to be using it for general stuff like email web browsing, Watching videos that kind of stuff...

And any games i can.
I may overclock it a bit, and i can always get an graphics card later on.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:40:48 pm »
With IntelĀ® HD Graphics you will be restricted in terms of graphics. You can probably get by in games such as League of Legends and the like (on lowest settings). If you want to be able to run games OK you really need to get a properly clocked graphics card. Something like 750TI wil  get you very far :)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:36 pm »
It looks good to me I am assuming you are going to be using it for general stuff like email web browsing, Watching videos that kind of stuff...

And any games i can.
I may overclock it a bit, and i can always get an graphics card later on.

I wouldn't count on it being capable of playing any of the high test shooters driving or flight sim games.
The good news is; for $200.00 US you can find a video card that will allow you to play many of those games, if not most with playable results.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:57:03 am »
Wow. You somehow managed to hit my mark of "never build a computer with a cpu with a CPU Mark less than 4000", that CPU is exactly 4000 on the CPUMARK.

Though I think you can find that CPU cheaper.  I checked newegg and found it for $69 by just googling for it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:10:40 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:46 am »
Though I think you can find that CPU cheaper.  I checked newegg and found it for $69 by just googling for it.
OP is in Canada.  The 69.99 price on newegg.com is USD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

The CDN to USD exchange rate is terrible for us Canucks right now.  $1 CDN = 75 cents USD.

On newegg.ca, it is $87.99

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

PS. I can't believe 10% of this build budget is going to pay for shipping.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:08:14 am by retiredcaps »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 05:11:15 am »
I might consider trying for one of the Haswell Refresh i3 processors since you get the better graphics and 2 threads per core.  It might be worth the extra few bucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#Haswell_Refresh

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:13:09 am »
I just looked at one of the Broadwell I5 and I7 processors that the board should be able to take.. 128MB of L4 cache!  :wtf:

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:16 am »
Wow. You somehow managed to hit my mark of "never build a computer with a cpu with a CPU Mark less than 4000", that CPU is exactly 4000 on the CPUMARK.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the Pentium G3258 is a superb overclocker as it is unlocked. Apparently you're able to overclock it to over 4GHz on a good heatsink  :P
Source: MSI Press Release, http://www.techpowerup.com/202711/pentium-20th-anniversary-edition-g3258-reaches-6861-7-mhz-on-msi-motherboard.html
HD Graphics are horrible though, it wouldn't hurt to get a graphics card too (or save up for one to add later).  ;D

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 05:26:29 am »
BTW, I don't know why the OP started a new thread for this.  All opinions, research, ideas were originally in this thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/deciding-what-computer-to-get/

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 06:58:15 am »
No need for a motherboard that expensive with that CPU. If you're not looking to overclock right away, the stock cooler will be more than good enough, especially up north. You can always upgrade later.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:57:40 am »
when you build your PC, check your ram the second you get the thing fired up and OS loaded on.

I'm not sure in other windows versions, may have to google it, but in windows 10, there is actually a memory diagnostic tool. Or you can download and run Memtest86 from their website. it is free.

Memory is one of the components of a new PC build that I have had bad luck with, and often come bad the first time, and in some cases the second time it is delivered.

In my latest build, I spent days trying to track down a problem with the new video card, as the errors that kept popping up while doing graphic programs (i.e. Solidworks) and games was 'OpenGL error code: 3' and thought it was the video card because of it saying Open GL....It is not, I ran windows 10 memory diagnostic tool and right away it came up with errors on the RAM.  Getting it RMA'd right now, waiting on new to arrive.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 01:29:44 pm »
when you build your PC, check your ram the second you get the thing fired up and OS loaded on.

I'm not sure in other windows versions, may have to google it, but in windows 10, there is actually a memory diagnostic tool. Or you can download and run Memtest86 from their website. it is free.

Memory is one of the components of a new PC build that I have had bad luck with, and often come bad the first time, and in some cases the second time it is delivered.

In my latest build, I spent days trying to track down a problem with the new video card, as the errors that kept popping up while doing graphic programs (i.e. Solidworks) and games was 'OpenGL error code: 3' and thought it was the video card because of it saying Open GL....It is not, I ran windows 10 memory diagnostic tool and right away it came up with errors on the RAM.  Getting it RMA'd right now, waiting on new to arrive.
That is a very good piece of advice, Windows seven also has that feature.

Sue AF6LJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »
what would all you guys prefer windows 7 or 8.1. Windows 8.1 i think would be alright cause you can still use the classic 7/vista look correct.
I've always liked windows 7, but then windows 8.1 came out and i only know bits and pieces about.

Also that pcpartpicker isn't always correct for their Overview price totals i found.
Has anyone ever used NCIX.com and their price match.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39:52 pm »

Why waste time loading an OS?!

http://www.memtest.org/

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:40 pm »
I have a Asrock Z97 Pro4 motherboard in my main PC. It is a good board but looking at the rest of your PC it seams kinda overkill. I am using it to run a i7 4790K along with a GTX770.

As people said if you want to do gaming you should get a graphics card. Well judging by your avatar if you just want to play Minecraft on it such a PC will do just fine since its more CPU hungry than anything. These days if you are building a new PC that you plan to use as your main PC for many years to come its a good idea to get a CPU with 4 cores. If you are in to overclocking get a cheep haswell i5 and push it to 4,7GHz and its going to fly.

As far as windows goes i have to say i only like Windows 7. I just don't see the point of getting Win 8 or Win 10 so far. But that's just my opinion, i'm sure there are lots of people out there that love 8 or 10.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 10:42:59 pm »
Well judging by your avatar if you just want to play Minecraft on it such a PC will do just fine since its more CPU hungry than anything

As far as windows goes i have to say i only like Windows 7. I just don't see the point of getting Win 8 or Win 10 so far. But that's just my opinion, i'm sure there are lots of people out there that love 8 or 10.
you wouldn't recommend OEM OS's vs retail ones would you

Ah i just like creepers a lot that's all lol.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »
you wouldn't recommend OEM OS's vs retail ones would you

Ah i just like creepers a lot that's all lol.

Does not really matter how you get windows as long as you have it, just be careful of the cheapest versions, they have a lot of artificial limitations. I am personally running Windows 7 Pro 64bit that i got for free because the uni i was at was part of the microsoft academic alliance program.

Offline Kostas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »
what would all you guys prefer windows 7 or 8.1...

Doesn't matter, both provide a free upgrade option to Windows 10.   ;D

Ok, strictly speaking, I'd rather use W8.1, combined with Classic Shell. It seems to me they're faster than W7, not just at startup. And yes, I compared them at the same computer. W10 on the other hand can be used without Classic Shell, the provided start menu is good enough.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:08:14 pm by Kostas »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »
As far as I know, it hasn't been determined if all the spyware Microsoft put in Windows 10 can be completely disabled. Since there isn't much benefit to the end user from running 8 or 10, it seems safer to stick with Windows 7 for now.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:52 pm »
I have a Asrock Z97 Pro4 motherboard in my main PC. It is a good board but looking at the rest of your PC it seams kinda overkill. I am using it to run a i7 4790K along with a GTX770.

As people said if you want to do gaming you should get a graphics card. Well judging by your avatar if you just want to play Minecraft on it such a PC will do just fine since its more CPU hungry than anything. These days if you are building a new PC that you plan to use as your main PC for many years to come its a good idea to get a CPU with 4 cores. If you are in to overclocking get a cheep haswell i5 and push it to 4,7GHz and its going to fly.

I agree with nearly all of this, where I might differe is to have you hold off for about a month and get Windows-10 with the new update. A lot of us are running it in beta and it works well, well enough that I would say don't get Win-7 and for me that is a big deal. I still have one computer running win-7 and will  most likely switch it over after the first of the year. At this point get 4 core CPU at least the fastest one you can afford.
If you already have a windows version 7 or 8X upgrade...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 12:05:54 am »
As far as I know, it hasn't been determined if all the spyware Microsoft put in Windows 10 can be completely disabled. Since there isn't much benefit to the end user from running 8 or 10, it seems safer to stick with Windows 7 for now.
As long as you didn't install any updates since about July you might be fine. Those snoop-ware features have been ported to Win 7, 8X already in updates. Like I tell my clients, if you have something you don't want people to see, don't put it on your computer and keep it away from your smart phone, they are much worse. If you are really that worried then run Linux and suffer with its poor driver support.

Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf