Author Topic: My latest bit of server equipment score/Look at my big rack  (Read 6947 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
My latest bit of server equipment score/Look at my big rack
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:51:13 pm »
Couldn't decide which title to use so I put both up lol

Found this on kijiji, guy was asking $150, didn't have near that but talked with him a bit, he's into servers and stuff too, asked if he wanted to maybe trade for some other stuff like an hp workstation I have, and he offered to give it to me for free! I picked it up today, and gave him $25 anyways, back to basically being broke but I got a month to make what I need for bills.

Had fun sharing system setups and specs with him lol. Got this, a load of clip style cage nuts, and a shelf for a monitor or whatever you want to put on it. I might want to paint over the Klingon logo at some point but for now I don't mind, I'm just super psyched! (sorry for the couple fuzzy images)

Even my dog likes it! I stepped in and she followed me, and stayed in, wagging here tail and sniffing around lol.

Has 6 115v 15.5 amp (I think) fans in the top, removable if you want, I turned it around since the power cord was at the front for some reason, and it's a 42 unit rack.

Can't wait to stat putting stuff in it, unfortunately I took the rack mount rails (part of them anyways) off my blade server and idk where they are, same with the ones on my nice big rack cooling fan (600 cubic feet a minute) and I also tool the brackets off my ups's though I think they are still around somewhere, no clue where. I need new batteries anyways.

The two silver rails you see are mine, I have an IBM pull out monitor and keyboard, but for some reason the rails seem like they are a bit too far out, it doesn't hold onto them properly, I'll have to try bending them in a bit and hopefully that will help. Probably should have done that before I put the sides on lol.

Oh well, have the key so it's not a huge issue though I also want to order a couple spares of it, or hopefully a place in town has one, and I also want to get a rack mount power bar.

Anyways lot better deal than the half sized one a guy I used to work for had, he wanted $500. It was really nice though, and I don't need this much space but it's a lot cheaper lol. Wish it had a power strip in it already though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:08:14 pm by XOIIO »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: My latest bit of server equipment score/Look at my big rack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
Nice.  I say, leave the mark, and bring out the blood wine!! ;D
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Terabyte2007

• Frequent Contributor
  • It is purpose that created us... That defines us..
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:23:11 pm »
Nice! That's what I need. The painted logo, Klingon???

Eric Haney, MCSE, EE, DMC-D
Electronics Designer, Prototype Builder

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »
Agreed, keep the Klingon crest on the side and call your new cluster Kahless.

Qapla'!
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:45:22 pm »
Agreed, keep the Klingon crest on the side and call your new cluster Kahless.

Qapla'!

Lol, good idea.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:11:06 pm »
Who needs keys? 2 paperclips and those locks are easy to open. Often faster than fetching the key out of the cabinet.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 04:15:09 pm »
Who needs keys? 2 paperclips and those locks are easy to open. Often faster than fetching the key out of the cabinet.

You sure? Looking at the key it looks like it has a fair number of pins in the lock, plus a key is easier to use at the bottom if you are taking the sides off.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 04:31:18 pm »
Stamped steel plate wards and only 6 of them, and likely a common pattern for all the racks made by that manufacturer. Those are like steel cupboard locks, easy to pick, especially when worn as the keys often jam in them then.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 04:33:50 pm »
Stamped steel plate wards and only 6 of them, and likely a common pattern for all the racks made by that manufacturer. Those are like steel cupboard locks, easy to pick, especially when worn as the keys often jam in them then.

Ah well, this one looks in good shape, came from government surplus so I imagine the locks are still good, I think a hardware store here might be able to do it.

The single door (not the double one in the back) latch seems a bit off though, not sure if maybe the wrong part was used as a replacement or something but all it would take is a screwdriver to pop it open, I'll take a picture later to show you what I mean

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:44:44 pm »
That's a real nice piece! Sounds like you already have plans to populate it with computer equipment, too. I know several people that search high and low for good deals on racks, to fill with their networking gear. They can go for a real pretty penny. Great score!
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »
That's a real nice piece! Sounds like you already have plans to populate it with computer equipment, too. I know several people that search high and low for good deals on racks, to fill with their networking gear. They can go for a real pretty penny. Great score!

Yeah, don't have enough to even fill a quarter of it though lol. I do want to get a rack mount chassis that is empty and put an older motherboard in there for hard drive testing and recovery, with a KVM I could have a few aside from my server and just power them up as needed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 06:24:04 pm »
Here are the top and bottom door latches, as you can see the top one is too far out for some reason, the bottom one works well though, and it holds the door shut well enough but I would like to fix this.

(bottom one first)

I've also bent the rails on that pull out terminal (if that's the right term for it) and it works like a treat now, unfortunately the usb and monitor cables were on the floor in my mothers garage and they are now rusty from spring flooding, I should be able to clean it or replace the usb leads at least, I think it's just the screws on the VGA that are rusty. The monitor is good though, and I like the cable organization arm, unfortunately I don't think those work on servers, maybe there is a way to hook one on, but I don't know. Don't plan on pulling it in and out much anyways.

Also saw the price on a new hp one while looking into the server, crap talk about expensive for a monitor and laptop keyboard/touchpad, over $1,500!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
Heh, now you are rack-bitten. You can never have enough racks.

You'll find if you keep your ear to the ground they can be acquired very cheaply or free, if you don't care for the latest flashy looking ones. There are often lots of old racks being discarded. Since they are too bulky for companies to keep unwanted ones lying around.
Then every now and then you'll see mountains of them being trashed. That happened in Sydney when the old Channel 7 TV studio closed. Hundreds of racks, all bulldozed.

But by Murphy's Law, when you urgently need one they are rare. Or you get a free one that is a massive pain in the butt to adapt.
Like this: http://everist.org/NobLog/20121017_the_last_rack_bender.htm

Btw, a word of advice. When someone decides to give you something (and you are poor) don't force money into their hand. Accept with good grace and thanks. They will actually feel better about it. And you'll still have the money.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline aroby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »
The price was good.  I think I paid $125 for mine from a local recycler.  It weights over 400lbs with the PDUs and the power sequencers and took 4 guys to get it down the stairs into my basement.  I had to run a 220V supply to it, in addition to 110V for those components (e.g. the whole house audio) that aren't switchable.  Still plenty of space to add more stuff ...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:43 pm »
Oh man that's a nice one, a light up logo! That's how you know it's fancy lol

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:01 am »
Kaplah!!! :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo