Author Topic: Nespresso shop, how did they scan my purchases through a paper bag?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline RJFreemanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Australian Technical Production Services
Ok, so I went to the Nespresso shop in Pitt St mall today (we were out of coffee, Judge me (or not) that I drink Nespresso, up to you).

The nice lady gave me a paper bag, I went and selected the pods I wanted, placed them in the (opaque) paper bag, and returned to where the nice lady was standing.

We (well she really) sorted out the Nespresso membership details (my wife usually buys them) and then I thought we were going to start scanning bar-codes etc, but instead she asked me to place the boxes of pods horizontally in the bottom of the bag, the bag was then placed in a well in the counter, and somehow the POS read what pods I had in the bag, displayed this on the screen, I paid and went.

BUT, how did the Point of Sale system know what I had in the bag?
The bag was thick opaque paper, so not a bar code system.
I would have guessed some kind of of NFC or RFID type system, presumably they can get the cost down fairly low for these, although I would have thought reading multiple (and similar) tags at once might have been a bit more involved.
But pulling apart a couple of boxes I could find no sign of a coil or RFID chip, so maybe, or maybe not?
I wouldn't have thought it would be in the pods themselves.
Does anyone know?

I am sure the answer is probably very simple and I missed something obvious....

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Nespresso shop, how did they scan my purchases through a paper bag?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:35 am »
BUT, how did the Point of Sale system know what I had in the bag?
The bag was thick opaque paper, so not a bar code system.
I would have guessed some kind of of NFC or RFID type system, presumably they can get the cost down fairly low for these, although I would have thought reading multiple (and similar) tags at once might have been a bit more involved.

You guessed correct, it'll be an RFID system (probably 433 MHz). (By the way, there is also a reader which scans your Nespresso club membership card when you place it on the counter).

There will either be a label with a thin metal coil or it could also be embedded into the cardboard tube itself. Passive RFID tags are cheap and easy to produce, in the ballpark of 5-10 cents per tag.

Depending on the system used, multiple RFID tags can be scanned "simultaneously". What's actually happening is the scanner interrogates one tag at a time (to avoid a collision) but it's done at high speed so it seems like it's all happening at the same time.

We use a similar system to track some assets at work. We could have a box of say, 50 items, which can all be scanned in a matter of seconds, just by pointing the reader at the cardboard box. It will produce a list of serial numbers which are present inside that box.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:14 am »
Could it be that they're all the same price and they just weighed them?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:13 am »

Prices vary depending on the blend. Limited edition capsules and other ranges, such as their flavoured "Variations" range cost most than the standard ones.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: kg4arn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:07 am »
Those things don't need a wounded copper coil. A printed aluminum coil is good enough.

yes I was looking for a piece of foil of some sort, when I pulled the cardboard boxes (tubes would be a better description) apart.

There will either be a label with a thin metal coil or it could also be embedded into the cardboard tube itself.

Well I have pulled apart two tubes looking for a foil coil, or similar, without success, although they do have metallic paint printed on them, so maybe using the paint somehow?

What's actually happening is the scanner interrogates one tag at a time (to avoid a collision

so how does it separate them?
 I would have thought giving each tag a different address would be too cumbersome, and needed a high (or maybe just slightly higher?) level of smarts on the RFID chip, then you would have to scan a lot of addresses on the off chance. so is it space separation? Although the tubes are not that big and right next to each other, so avoiding cross talk would be a challenge, and then you would have to move the detector around (or multiple detectors)?
or do they do something clever with phasing on the transmitter/exciter.

No it listed the different types of coffee pods, and different prices for them

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:02 am »
http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/rfid-technology-used-nespresso-enhance-customer-experience/
https://www.retailcustomerexperience.com/news/rfid-based-self-checkout-system-targets-specialty-shops/

Ah yes, Ironically I read the first article, which didn't actually say the products were scanned using RFID, and shows the video as unavailable and as I knew the Nespresso club card used RFID I presumed they must have meant that....

The second article (which I hadn't read) does say the products are scanned using RFID, so Now I should have a closer look at another cardboard tube (I shredded the other two looking for the hidden RFID chip and coil).

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:29 am »
Next time, take one of your Nespresso paper bags fully lined with aluminium foil to the shop and see if the check out is still guessing correct ;)

Dare I say: I absolutely execrate Nestlé and all of their business practices. I try to stay as far away from all their brands as possible. They steal, lie, exploit and maraud wherever they can and take advantage of others where possible without morals or a sense of decency.

Basically, they are "Water and Power" from Tank Girl.

He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

The following users thanked this post: Frost

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:23:21 am »
Aha!
Found the bugger.....

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:27:24 am »
On the end tab, not sure how I missed that.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:43:47 am »
so how does it separate them?
 I would have thought giving each tag a different address would be too cumbersome, and needed a high (or maybe just slightly higher?) level of smarts on the RFID chip, then you would have to scan a lot of addresses on the off chance. so is it space separation? Although the tubes are not that big and right next to each other, so avoiding cross talk would be a challenge, and then you would have to move the detector around (or multiple detectors)?
or do they do something clever with phasing on the transmitter/exciter.

There are a number of anti-collision protocols which can be implemented. Each tag has it's own unique serial number. Some tags have the ability to generate random numbers within the tag itself once powered.

Have a look at the attached paper. It gives you an overview of how some of these protocols work.

The following users thanked this post: RJFreeman

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 02:59:19 am »
Dare I say: I absolutely execrate Nestlé and all of their business practices. I try to stay as far away from all their brands as possible. They steal, lie, exploit and maraud wherever they can and take advantage of others where possible without morals or a sense of decency.

I feel the same way, that's why I buy McDonald's coffee from Walmart.  :-\
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf