Author Topic: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space  (Read 17379 times)

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
Re: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:33 am »
I got as far as the first third of episode 3 and I had to give up. It was typical post-modernist rubbish, dysfunctional, non-cohesive family, the father is a mess, very poor acting in a blue or green room where the actors have nothing to act to and always seem to be looking in the wrong direction. Just another attempt to take a classic franchise and build a hollow “culturally updated” wishy washy clone. Like the last Star Wars attempts it looks like they dropped a bunch of actors into a Lost In Space theme park and told them to wing it.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:26 pm »
Oh, and don't forget: The stereotype-Mother is in charge for some reason. I guess feminism - but maybe more like because the father is yet another generically dumb ex-army "I don't think I've read anything except instruction manual for... years."-guy that speaks with the action-hero accent, but has to appeal the mother so that they can get a happy family once again blehrg.  He should teach them survival skills - but I guess that really doesn't matter anymore when you're walking on an alien planet with fauna and flora, but without Haz-Mat suites - so he does nothing, really. "Danger, little Timmy!"  :scared:
The woman-scientists are dominating - with the one exception they couldn't make dumb: Bobby. He has to be the intelligent, open minded, walking pride-of-his-family-bubble with a two legged techno-dog-tool.
The protagonists are all bad in some way, sometimes anyway.

I have nothing against woman, seriously, but feminists ... meh. Other than that feminists are not really needed anymore (said some feminists) since the 80s or whatever, some are just the worst human beings imaginable. And they get followers, in real life. How is that possible? wth?

If only.
Yeah. It just sounds very good written this way. And I meant that loosely, with emphasize on demise.

It isn't sci-fi so didn't put it in that list from above, but go watch Mindhunters. Very Great show!
BTW, do I use too many, comma, ta, eh? I don't really see you guys using them, except in enumerations.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:37:17 am by Distelzombie »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:18 pm »
Oh, and don't forget: The stereotype-Mother is in charge for some reason. I guess feminism - but maybe more like because the father is yet another generically dumb ex-army "I don't think I've read anything except instruction manual for... years."-guy that speaks with the action-hero accent, but has to appeal the mother so that they can get a happy family once again blehrg.  He should teach them survival skills - but I guess that really doesn't matter anymore when you're walking on an alien planet with fauna and flora, but without Haz-Mat suites - so he does nothing, really. "Danger, little Timmy!"
The woman-scientists are dominating - with the one exception they couldn't make dumb: Bobby. He has to be the intelligent, open minded, walking pride-his-family-bubble with a two legged techno-dog-tool.
Anyway. The protagonists are all bad in some way, sometimes anyway.

I have nothing against woman, seriously, but feminists ... meh. Other than that feminists are not really needed anymore (say some feminists) since the 80s or whatever, some are just the worst human beings imaginable. And they get followers, in real life. How is that possible? wth?

If only.
Yeah. It just sounds very good written this way. And I meant that loosely, with emphasize on demise.

It isn't sci-fi so didn't put it in that list from above, but go watch Mindhunters. Very Great show!
BTW, do I use too many, comma, ta, eh? I don't really see you guys using them, except in enumerations.

The woman is in charge because she's the only parent that's around. The father has been absent. The common objection of "oh well he's been deployed" is applicable until its put in context in the second half of the season. I can't say anything else without spoiling, but this is covered in two of the last five episodes.

I watched the entire series, and while I think it could carry the subheading "Why one family's communication problems nearly kills everybody, over and over again", I still think it was a pretty good series. The fact that the show isn't a good reflection of the original series (which I never saw) doesn't bother me at all, unlike a lot of you and a few reviewers. I didn't think it was boring in the first few episodes, but remember this problem is characteristic with full-season-released series these days: because the first season is all-up-in-one-go, they can have unusual pacing and revelation time scales. Like in this series, where some critical facts about the mother aren't revealed until episode 7 or 8.

I was somewhat pleased with the scientific realism (in lots of cases they make sound scientific deductions), except for a critical figure given about the maximum structural integrity speed for the Resolute was given to be 276,000 miles per hour. Which is about 0.41% of c. Given the distance to Alpha Centauri (their intended destination), this means the journey is at least ~ 10600 years long. That is a generation ship scenario, and the people alive at departure would not be expecting to survive until the destination. And yet people on the ship have claimed to have made the journey before.

Unless I'm missing something, I suspect they meant to say 276,000 miles per second. Which is about 150 times c. Then the journey would only take 10 days. This is scientific unrealism of a typical scifi sort, which I guess is forgiveable.

Overall, I liked it.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:38 am »
The woman is in charge because she's the only parent that's around. The father has been absent. The common objection of "oh well he's been deployed" is applicable until its put in context in the second half of the season. I can't say anything else without spoiling, but this is covered in two of the last five episodes.
Isn't the father stuck on the same planet with her. Always a few feet away. Tumbling through life because he is almost too dumb for proper human interconnection? Why is there a reason for that Army-guy not to be in charge? Is she like the scientist-of-survival, or what?

I didn't think it was boring in the first few episodes, but remember this problem is characteristic with full-season-released series these days: because the first season is all-up-in-one-go, they can have unusual pacing and revelation time scales. Like in this series, where some critical facts about the mother aren't revealed until episode 7 or 8.
Oh, let me guess: [Spoiler maybe. Select it.]
It comes out that she traded with the evil girl, putting her whole family on the line, just because she wanted to have her little Danny on board too. "Oooooh!" She gave her the access codes, a key-card or just smuggled her on board somehow whatever, and the evil girl hacked her only son into the humanity-must-survive mission. Another absolutely stupid thing. He didn't make the program? One child of a family of 5 isn't allowed to go with the rest even though only one family gets a whole big ship for themselves?? Totally manufactured for some kind of story... It really has to have something to do with the alien-robot-dog in the long run, too. "Just throw that thing into there, whatever!"
Oh wait! Now she is getting blackmailed by the evil girl! Oh nooooo! They could send her back to earth when that comes out! Oh nooooo! Wait... there are no possible repercussions for her at this time? "Well, let her freak anyway, fuck shit up, almost kill someone maybe... Who really cares?"
Oh, and the father was probably on a mission to destroy or move the asteroid - which failed, so he got to be on the new-hope-ship of death and that's why he was always away in the last years, huh?
[end]
Am I right?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:33:28 am by Distelzombie »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 01:49:20 am »
Isn't the father stuck on the same planet with her. Always a few feet away. Tumbling through life because he is almost too dumb for proper human interconnection? Why is there a reason for that Army-guy not to be in charge? Is she like the scientist-of-survival, or what?

spoiler:
No. She's the designer of the ship. He wasn't around because he deployed in the military, and it's revealed that he chose to deploy rather than stay with the family (while he lied and said he was selected). But essentially the reason is that she's been raising the children by herself so she's in charge. He's also not a scientist, not an expert at any of the processes involved in the ship.

<spoiler elided>
... Am I right?

spoilers:
I actually don't understand who was the person who agreed to "hack" their file so that the child could go. But it looks like it was official (e.g. on the books). I don't think the evil girl was the one who did it. Speculating: since the part of the tests the child failed was the psychological/stress part, maybe the sister of the evil girl (the person who the evil girl replaced) was the one who let her on, but I'm still not clear what they traded off. In any case, this is not a last ditch effort to save humanity. There have been many ships full of colonists sent (presumably this is the 24th, as stated). Earth is not doomed, it's just very unpleasant. It would have been doomed, perhaps, if the thing which hit the Earth was a meteor or asteroid, but it is revealed in the last two episodes that it was not. Apparently it was an alien ship of some kind, and that's how they got the alien technology, and that's why the aliens attacked the Resolute, and so on. This has some holes of its own (how did they build so many ships, so fast? How did they discover how to interface with the alien technology so fast? Why did they decide to build the ships even after they realized the Earth's atmosphere would not be darkened?)

Anyways, of all the things in this that I have problems with, the super expert female scientist being in charge is not one of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:26:29 am by technogeeky »

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 02:14:20 am »
You have to use #F0F4F7
The first and the last sentence of your first spoiler are contradicting. Doesn't sound like shes an expert at all.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:12 am »
You have to use #F0F4F7
The first and the last sentence of your first spoiler are contradicting. Doesn't sound like shes an expert at all.

I don't know which two lines you mean, but she's shown to be an expert at various things during the show. She may not be an expert on survival per se, but she seems to have pretty good knowledge of a lot more fields than her expertise.

The child is also some kind of super-genius evidently. I'd like to also say that the redheaded child has some very funny lines later on. I don't remember too many at the beginning.

Like I said, overall I thought it was quite good. It has a strange mixture of being slow building (the first three episodes are fraught with danger, but they also progress slowly) and fast developing (the later episodes have one challenge in each episode, resolved in each episode).

Offline n3rdx

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:32 am »

I was somewhat pleased with the scientific realism (in lots of cases they make sound scientific deductions), except for a critical figure given about the maximum structural integrity speed for the Resolute was given to be 276,000 miles per hour. Which is about 0.41% of c. Given the distance to Alpha Centauri (their intended destination), this means the journey is at least ~ 10600 years long. That is a generation ship scenario, and the people alive at departure would not be expecting to survive until the destination. And yet people on the ship have claimed to have made the journey before.

Unless I'm missing something, I suspect they meant to say 276,000 miles per second. Which is about 150 times c. Then the journey would only take 10 days. This is scientific unrealism of a typical scifi sort, which I guess is forgiveable.

Overall, I liked it.

I liked it, exactly because the script writing had to have had a panel of planetary science, astrodynamics, orbital mechanics resource persons. And also aerospace engineers. At last, finally we are getting more Sci-Fi story lines with could-be-realistic machinery that was purpose built for the shows : the Chariots, the Jupiter with thrusters, the Comms that were short range, and the whole plot line with no RF comms between the mothership in orbit and ground terminals as the high gain antenna on the mothership is kaput (and on the planet). Well, I am sure others will gripe: What happened to EE skillset in the future? Seriously no one knows how to setup a phase array antenna to beam stear a radio signal? Also they would gripe about: What was the chemical formula of the liquid methane based propellant that allowed a small tank of fuel to power a Jupiter from the ground all the way to high orbit in seconds? and be able to be produced from almost anything? Yes, it is probably a TV series and I am joking, these plot points were a welcome and necessary element to the flow of the story with each episode. But at least the science was understandable: Wormhole device built by aliens, lost in a crash on Earth, "borrowed" by Humans, adapted clumsily to the most modern spacecraft (Resolute) and pressed into service to colonize Alpha Centauri - keeping all under wraps - until the aliens come through said wormhole device (installed in the ship)  to take it back, which brings us the the first few minutes of episode 1. And ... loved the technical instrumentation and the great escape out of the bog pit in a helium filed bag with the actors show casing their squeak voices at the end. The cliffhanger bodes well for Season two, what happens to the lone crew of maturing individuals now that they are in the proverbial lion's den being shanghaied there by the alien blue sphere - which installed modifications to the Jupiters engine to travel interstellar distances in a blink of an eye, when it couldn't do that before. Also, the Resolute's capabilities were top secret as it must have used the "drive" in a partial way to allow several trips over the past year to take place (23 colonies before this mission).

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 03:21:03 am »

Overall, I liked it.

I liked it, exactly because the script writing had to have had a panel of planetary science, astrodynamics, orbital mechanics resource persons. And also aerospace engineers. At last, finally we are getting more Sci-Fi story lines with could-be-realistic machinery that was purpose built for the shows : the Chariots, the Jupiter with thrusters, the Comms that were short range, and the whole plot line with no RF comms between the mothership in orbit and ground terminals as the high gain antenna on the mothership is kaput (and on the planet). Well, I am sure others will gripe: What happened to EE skillset in the future? Seriously no one knows how to setup a phase array antenna to beam stear a radio signal? Also they would gripe about: What was the chemical formula of the liquid methane based propellant that allowed a small tank of fuel to power a Jupiter from the ground all the way to high orbit in seconds? and be able to be produced from almost anything? Yes, it is probably a TV series and I am joking, these plot points were a welcome and necessary element to the flow of the story with each episode. But at least the science was understandable: Wormhole device built by aliens, lost in a crash on Earth, "borrowed" by Humans, adapted clumsily to the most modern spacecraft (Resolute) and pressed into service to colonize Alpha Centauri - keeping all under wraps - until the aliens come through said wormhole device (installed in the ship)  to take it back, which brings us the the first few minutes of episode 1. And ... loved the technical instrumentation and the great escape out of the bog pit in a helium filed bag with the actors show casing their squeak voices at the end. The cliffhanger bodes well for Season two, what happens to the lone crew of maturing individuals now that they are in the proverbial lion's den being shanghaied there by the alien blue sphere - which installed modifications to the Jupiters engine to travel interstellar distances in a blink of an eye, when it couldn't do that before. Also, the Resolute's capabilities were top secret as it must have used the "drive" in a partial way to allow several trips over the past year to take place (23 colonies before this mission).

The radios they are using are actual Standard Horizon Marine VHF radios, too (made by Yaesu).

Another scientific detail they got wrong: the detecting of a black hole by Hawking radiation. A quick calculation will show that direct detection of Hawking radiation is essentially impossible, especially when the background temperature is as high as it is now (~ 2.4 K). There would be plenty of ways to detect a black hole that closely, but Hawking radiation is not one of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:28:11 am by technogeeky »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:56 am »
I've only seen trailers at this point, but I wasn't wowed by the robot.  To me it looked like they took the Destroyer out of Thor and gave it new makeup and a costume change.  Not very creative, I thought.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:43 am »
I've only seen trailers at this point, but I wasn't wowed by the robot.  To me it looked like they took the Destroyer out of Thor and gave it new makeup and a costume change.  Not very creative, I thought.
It was creative until it made itself bland. So I guess that is even more creative?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 03:56:29 am »
It was creative until it made itself bland. So I guess that is even more creative?

What ... a sort of "inverse" creativity?

The morbidity of my curiosity is intensifying.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:48 am »
Interesting how the ship is undamaged after tens of thousands of tonnes of ice collapses onto it. The science was dismal in the first three episodes. The ships are capable of flying in space but the engines are gas turbine jet engines (based on the multiple jet engine cores in the wreckage of one of the Jupiter’s). And methane based fuel? A somewhat low energy density fuel feeding gas turbine engines. In a space ship.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:59 am »
Guys... totally confused here   :-//

Do I have a go at watching this or stick to 1950s and 60s sci-fi flicks on Youtube ?  :phew:

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:42 am »
Guys... totally confused here   :-//

Do I have a go at watching this or stick to 1950s and 60s sci-fi flicks on Youtube ?  :phew:

You could put it on as background while you surf eBay for test equipment.  That way, the wife thinks you are doing something other than buying more test equipment.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Distelzombie

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:28 am »
Disclaimer: I also never watched the original series, but i watched the '98 movie :palm:

boy it was difficult to get through the first episode. i skipped about half ot if.

ending: wow! lotta millenium falcons! -_-

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:44 am »
Its raining, have a tent right there, cut a hole in the bottom, no more rain in the hole, or at least less.

Drove me nuts.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:19 am »
Its raining, have a tent right there, cut a hole in the bottom, no more rain in the hole, or at least less.

Drove me nuts.
But the water could flow into it from the outside. It's way easier to simply get lost in a universe with compatible physics in the first place.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2018, 06:54:36 pm »
I have to confess I was really surprised to learn how popular Lost in Space was in other parts of the world and particularly down under.  I was a kid when it was originally broadcast and I was never a big fan.  I loved Star Trek but Lost in Space -- not so much.

It is also interesting that the production values were, as best I can tell, pretty similar to Doctor Who and perhaps the style appeals to Britts and Aussies. 

Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

Brian

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »
The characters in the new series have a bit more depth then in the original series , and the robot kicks ass.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:24:03 pm by hopski »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 07:22:53 pm »
Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

This show has three Wesley Crushers.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:35 pm »
And beause episode 2 is being almost just as boring i decided to watch the movie again.. hey it was better than i remembered! also compared to most of the sci-fi movies i saw in recent years

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »
It get's better

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »
I remember watching the original series. I was big time into rockets and stuff, so I like the episodes in space the most. Unfortunately they seemed to spend most of their time landed. I had kind of a thing for Angela Cartwright though which made that more tolerable.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 09:04:09 pm »

This show has three Wesley Crushers.

In that case I will never even check it out. 

Brian

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf