Author Topic: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space  (Read 17376 times)

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Netflix Remake of Lost In Space
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »
Many of you older electronics folk would have cut your teeth on Lost in Space and maybe dreamt of building your own B9 Robot one day.

Good news... Netflix is about to release a remake of the series.

Danger Will Robinson!

Goodbye, Penny.
Goodbye, Mr. Nobody.

• Super Contributor
Re: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:13:12 pm »
Series 1 was the best of the original Lost In Space. Series 2 was OK, but series 3 got pretty silly as it tried to compete with Batman for ratings. I own all box sets of LIS DVD's and know pretty much every episode, as I do the early 1960's Twilight Zone series. The 1998 movie was awful. Let's hope this remake will really good, and not full of effects and light on story. Will keep you posted.

Incidentally, I recently auditioned for Hard Quiz on the ABC, where my expert subject was Lost In Space.

"Never fear, Smith is here."

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:22:45 pm »
Hmmm. I hope the remake isn't a masking of a lack of original ideas.
Someone can tell me if it is worth getting Netflix so I can watch it.

Nostalgia is about the only idea Netflix has, anymore.  It used to be a good service, getting blockbuster DVD/BDs and content from a variety of providers, but they've shifted to producing their own content.

They have a few decent original content shows, but much of it is recycled, made-for-tv quality.  Regarding the LiS remake, they've made a large number of changes from the original, for the sake of being different.  Time will tell if there is any compelling story behind what will most likely be just eye-candy special effects.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:25:21 pm »
   It's been my experience that remakes usually get worse over time and not better and even the original was pretty campy so I'm not holding out any hope for this one.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:10:38 pm »
Where the hell is Dr Smith :o

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:11:49 pm »

She is there.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:58:41 pm »

She is there.

Change for the sake of change.
Or are they just copying Battlestar Galactica?

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 04:03:35 pm »
It will suck (not when I was a kid though) worse than the 60's version, after it went to the ridiculous talking carrot and so on. Moisture. Indeed.

Just look at our Overlord Doomcock's latest video:

Warning, righteous but understandable profanity when necessary.

Quote from: BillB on Today at 10:11:49>Quote from: AlfBaz on Today at 10:10:38
She is there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:08:47 pm by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 11:04:35 pm »

She is there.
I'm not surprised, I actually expected William Robinson to become Wilma Robinson
"Warning die hard fans, Warning!" :scared:
^see what I did there  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 01:38:02 am »
Incidentally, I recently auditioned for Hard Quiz on the ABC, where my expert subject was Lost In Space.

Does auditioned mean you got on?

I always wondered why he was billed as a "special guest star" when he was a regular cast member. I found out it was because he was added to the cast after the others and the billing had been locked down in the actors contracts. So he was a "special guest star". It's all about the ego.

As for expert knowledge I could name the actors, Mark Goddard required a few moments, but I'd like to see how i'd go.  Not too well I suspect.

No I didn't make it through. I got culled in the final playoff. There were two blokes in their 60's much faster than me who could answer general knowledge questions before they had finished asking them. Those blokes were freaks, but inspiring in that you don't have to slow down when you age. It was an interesting experience all the same. So far this year I have only seen 1 of the 50 applicants from my group on the show - it was the Indian whose expert subject was Sachin Tendulkar.

Besides Jonathan Harris, Guy Williams had a bit of an ego. He resented Jonathan Harris taking most of the lead role as the show progressed. I read Mark Goddard's autobiography recently. It is a very good read. He is quite a character in real life.

I wonder if any of the original main cast will be making guest appearances. Harris, Williams and Bob May (the robot) have since passed away. The rest of the main cast are still alive and kicking. June Lockhart is now 92 years old... makes me feel old even though I am still in my 50's.

"Crush. Kill. Destroy."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:40:37 am by VK3DRB »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 06:16:25 am »
Series 1 was the best of the original Lost In Space. Series 2 was OK, but series 3 got pretty silly as it tried to compete with Batman for ratings. I own all box sets of LIS DVD's and know pretty much every episode, as I do the early 1960's Twilight Zone series. The 1998 movie was awful. Let's hope this remake will really good, and not full of effects and light on story. Will keep you posted.

"Oh the pain!"

I always liked Dr Smith.
Will?---- I hated the little turd, & always hoped the latest "big bad" would get him!

Anybody remember " Gentle Ben"?
That kid was nearly as obnoxious as Will!

Maybe if I'd been a little kid & not an adult, I would have liked the kids better.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 10:00:29 am »

She is there.
I'm not surprised, I actually expected William Robinson to become Wilma Robinson
"Warning die hard fans, Warning!" :scared:
^see what I did there  :)

Wilma Robinson. And Benny Robinson. :-DD

The feminist militia would love the role reversals. There was one episode in 1967 that featured a planet full of domineering men-hating women. It's leader was Noble Neolani. That episode was some years ahead of its time. Helen Reddy and Germaine Greer were not even on the radar when that episode was made.

"That does not compute."

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 12:21:16 am »
Why don't they just re-run the original Lost In Space, save themselves a wad of dough, and save everyone yet another sci-fi remake facepalm  :palm:  :palm:

It appears many in the movie industry are either smoking cheap ice mixed with Cold Power and dried horse droppings
and or believe any halfassed remakes still sell to the rabble if hyped up and flogged enough
with suspicious multiple 'Like' numbers on Faceb00k

I hope they pass on and leave well alone other classic series like Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea...  :phew:

Still recovering from ploughing through Star Trek Descovery Discovery and The Ordeal Orville   :popcorn:      :horse:      :-[

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 12:54:10 am »
THE SHOW IS ON NETFLIX NOW.

I saw the first episode last night. it seems to be shallow, has cheap effects, is a little slow and somewhat cheesy - typical of the majority American Sci-Fi films these days. It is also dark, which is in keeping with the original series at the start - the humour came later. One major flaw... they were out in the extreme cold and yet they were not shivering, had no icicles on them or foggy breath. Where's Don, by the way? The personalities have all changed. Plenty of plot holes and bugs too, which I guess is keeping with the original series. It is not a remake, but a different series really. They should have called it something else rather than Lost In Space. Hopefully the series will get better. Anyone else feel the same?

So, Dr Smith is a woman. Let's be happy that Will Robinson wasn't a cross dresser appearing as Wilma Robinson. :-DD
For those fans of the original series, here is the best interview with the ORIGINAL Dr. Smith. No-one can replace such a fine character actor.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 07:50:16 am »
Just saw the second and third episodes. I literally went to sleep for most of the second episode. :=\

The following users thanked this post: Johnny10

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 02:04:03 am »
Just saw the second and third episodes. I literally went to sleep for most of the second episode. :=\

Thanks for the mini review, mate  :-+ 

I already wasted enough viewing time on Star Trek Discovery and The Orville 

I might give this Lost In Space thingie a shot in the future if it sneaks on Youtube,
...and doze off on the couch if too tired to click elsewhere  :=\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:06:19 am by Electro Detective »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 02:35:36 am »
After rolling my eyes through the first few episodes, I've actually come to almost enjoy the series so far.  I'm rooting for the robot to come to its senses and kill everyone.  :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:38:33 am »
I never liked remakes of classic shows. A spinoff would be fine, but I don't recall ever seeing a remake that was anywhere near as good as the original. It just shows a complete lack of ideas.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:47 am »
Talking of Netflix, I am very much enjoying Stranger Things at the moment.

The soundtrack is the music of my yout - Joy Division, The Clash, Peter Gabriel. Just needs The Cure.

Strange for all the British music in a a show set in small-town America.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:20:43 am by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 06:13:42 am »
I dropped Netflix after they lost almost every show I wanted to watch and started focusing so heavily on their original content. I've gone back to buying used DVDs and blurays but now I rip everything and put it on my Plex server. It's like Netflix only I control the content and nothing ever goes away.

The other thing that really put me off with Netflix is they started adding ridiculous features like playing awful music in the UI or starting to auto-play content if you pause for too long navigating the menu. It got so I was habitually navigating around back and forth just to have enough time to read the synopsis without it starting to play. I cannot begin to understand how somebody thought that was a good idea. They are completely deaf to user feedback too, so I voted with my wallet, unlikely I'll ever return.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 09:23:43 am »
I never liked remakes of classic shows. A spinoff would be fine, but I don't recall ever seeing a remake that was anywhere near as good as the original.

It just shows a complete lack of ideas.

...and bad weed  ;D

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 01:05:52 pm »
Talking of Netflix, I am very much enjoying Stranger Things at the moment.
I kinda like Lost in Space. It is not bad but I don't know the original series though. Stranger Things is not for me. I wrestled through the first season to see if it went somewhere but enough is enough.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:28 pm »
There is no way they could ever Re-Make doctor smith.......

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »
Those classic one- liner come insults, and the actual Doctor Smith vibe were actually a concoction of the actor himself, Jonathan Harris (RIP)

Apparently the show wasn't going anywhere at one stage so he kicked it up a bit in the hope the show might either get into gear to keep his acting job,
or get pulled and look for work elsewhere     

It was a good gamble, the producer Irwin Allen liked it and gave him the go ahead to blab whatever he liked,
and the rest is history   :clap:

Mr. Harris explains it on interviews on Youtube    8)

The following users thanked this post: KL27x, ChunkyPastaSauce

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 11:40:54 pm »
Anybody remember these comic books?

Space Family Robinson

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:35 am »
Why don't they just re-run the original Lost In Space....

Careful what you wish for...

I still cringe at this scene .... Judy surrounded by "space mines"

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 02:12:04 am »
The production values for many of these shows was Ed Wood like at best, but sometimes cheesy stuff like that has an appeal.  The rest of the show was pretty lame, but Dr. Smith made it entertaining.  The robot was also a copy of the 'Robby the Robot' from Forbidden Planet -- still one of my favorite space scifi movies -- rip Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis and Walter Pidgeon...

Brian

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 02:41:03 am »
I wouldn't call Robot B9 a copy of Robby.  Inspired by, perhaps ... but not a copy.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 03:05:28 am »
I wouldn't call Robot B9 a copy of Robby.  Inspired by, perhaps ... but not a copy.

Well certainly not a duplicate, but, yes, inspired for sure...

Brian

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 03:28:26 am »
You say "for sure", I say "perhaps".  Let's agree on our own stance.

I will say, though, that Robby was the first robot that appealed to my sense of sci-fi - as a robot.  Robot B9 did have the better scripts, though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 05:04:13 am »

"Doctor Smith, help me,
the evil aliens left behind a Mac computer, 
beachballs popped out and then it caught fire..."
  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Distelzombie

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:13 am »
You say "for sure", I say "perhaps".  Let's agree on our own stance.

I will say, though, that Robby was the first robot that appealed to my sense of sci-fi - as a robot.  Robot B9 did have the better scripts, though.

Hey, did Robot B9 ever produce 60 gallons of Kentucky Bourbon?

Brian

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 08:15:25 am »
OK, I'll give Robby an 'A' for that line - but that was about his script highlight, as far as humour went.

There were several lines, though, that really made Forbidden Planet the masterpiece that it was.  Robby didn't have the ongoing repartee that we saw between Robot B9 and Dr Smith.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:17:16 am by Brumby »

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 09:30:34 am »
There is a whole culture of B9 robot builders out there these days.....some very good ones too.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:16 pm »
Watched first episode.

That ice is something fierce, damm...

Its raining, have a tent right there, cut a hole in the bottom, no more rain in the hole, or at least less.

The robot is a literal Deux Ex Machine plot device...  |O

Man and women are white, one kid is not, so, its OK to accept that either mom cheated, or kid is adopted and there is zero reference about that in the intro? I know, he is a dead beat dad, but, err, multiculturalism  can be done right, or wrong, seems to be the later..

Still haven't found the time to watch EP2, dont expect much better, never saw the original Lost In Space series, but I vividly remember the movie and I loved it(at least a long time ago I did).

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:11 pm »
Man and women are white, one kid is not, so, its OK to accept that either mom cheated, or kid is adopted and there is zero reference about that in the intro? I know, he is a dead beat dad, but, err, multiculturalism  can be done right, or wrong, seems to be the later..

EP5 will tell you why  8)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
OK then, good to know that there is a reason.  ;)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2018, 01:54:20 pm »
My own 2 cents... really liked the 1st episode...

the rest.. i dunno... it just seems dull... extremely dull.. and the new dr smith is just boring and predictable as hell... and not even that witty not that she even tries to be.

Also they got some 60+ people.. plenty enough to populate the planet with more humans so i wouldnt exactly call them lost in space either... more like they got pooped out a wormhole and just landed on the perfect planet

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2018, 02:24:22 pm »
Ok, I'm a little ashamed to admit, but I did watch the whole season and I think the key is to not get hung up on this being a remake.  Beyond the names of some characters and a few general plot points, this is a completely different show having little in common with the original series or the movie.

If one can look past the "men can only be idiots or assh*les" theme, new and improved officially sanctioned stereotypes, ridiculously unrealistic and stilted dialog from the child prodigies, plot holes and overall apathy toward technical accuracy, and contrived struggles during each episode that are just-so, then it really isn't too bad.   :phew:

While I understand this is family oriented and tedious and predictable character development/interaction has to occur, the most compelling reason to watch for me is the mystery surrounding the origin of the robot.  Hopefully this will drive more of the next season.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »
Ok, I'm a little ashamed to admit, but I did watch the whole season and I think the key is to not get hung up on this being a remake.  Beyond the names of some characters and a few general plot points, this is a completely different show having little in common with the original series or the movie.

If one can look past the "men can only be idiots or assh*les" theme, new and improved officially sanctioned stereotypes, ridiculously unrealistic and stilted dialog from the child prodigies, plot holes and overall apathy toward technical accuracy, and contrived struggles during each episode that are just-so, then it really isn't too bad.   :phew:

While I understand this is family oriented and tedious and predictable character development/interaction has to occur, the most compelling reason to watch for me is the mystery surrounding the origin of the robot.  Hopefully this will drive more of the next season.

Lol same here for me... i usually skip over the new dr smith parts because most of them seem silly and some of the robinsons and go right in for the robot action, in fact i think this should all revolve around the robot being lost in space and come from it's perspective

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 04:20:21 pm »
Lol same here for me... i usually skip over the new dr smith parts because most of them seem silly and some of the robinsons and go right in for the robot action, in fact i think this should all revolve around the robot being lost in space and come from it's perspective

I agree!  They should dump this series and re-start with a prequel trilogy about the robot!   :-+

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 12:26:51 am »
I don't like it at all. In almost every scene I'm like: "Woah, why did they do that? That makes no sense!" or "Damn... that is fabricated as heck!" or "Do you even science?"! It's unbearable and I hate myself.

This is not "really" spoilers, but, spoilers: (First two episodes worth. Mark/Highlight it!)
This is no science fiction. It is just fiction. Everyone is like: [Monotone, sarcastic voice] "Oooh, an alien robot! Great! Tell him to raise his arms, billy! Wow! It is weird! Now I am totally used to it! Nice! Free gimmick!..." and "Oooh, he killed hundreds of humans! But hey, whatever! Your different now, right? Right?! ... Raise your left arm! Yay! ..."

There was a movie "Lost in Space", like ten years ago, wasn't there? That was a good movie. He build that thing himself in it. Now it's just a walking deus-ex machina that appeared in a sly, "humans are tools" manner. Why bother with humans? Does he even have feelings? Does he even think? Why ignore your own space ship and walk along side some random animal that, more or less, consciously cut a branch from a tree-like mushroom?! Glob damn it! I can go on for like hours and I have only watched the first two episodes!
[end]

Horrible writing.
The show, I mean.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:34:47 am by Distelzombie »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 12:39:52 am »
...Glob damn it! I can go on for like hours and I have only watched the first two episodes!

You're gonna have a hard time watching the rest of the season.   :-DD

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:05 am »
I know. I don't think I will. I am more "Dirk Gently" guy - in probably more than one way. Two are not particularly positive.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 01:41:54 am »
Now I have a morbid curiosity...

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:25 am »
So far at episode 3, I had more excitement from when a man wearing a sheet chased Will into the reactor chamber.
This new stuff, meh.. :=\

Also, I like my robots to look like they were designed by a Japanese man who used to design washing machines.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:29:20 am by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 02:34:26 am »
Ok... I always end up in the right place, just like him. However, my right place seems to be centered around my own demise.
And I always get the weirdest, though totally correct, inspirations. That ruins such show as "lost in space", that are badly written, for example.

New star trek was ok, Expanse is great, altered carbon really awesome (read the books), Dark (If it is available in english) and for "I-wish-I-Could-Just-Use-It-Without-Repercussions" sake, watch Dirk Gently and read Douglas Adams' books. (I'm referring to a word. And I think I should just go to sleep already because this is starting to get too complex for you to follow correctly. [me dumb!])
I go punch my bed :horse:

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 02:57:27 am »
Ok... I always end up in the right place, just like him. However, my right place seems to be centered around my own demise.
And I always get the weirdest, though totally correct, inspirations. That ruins such show as "lost in space", that are badly written, for example.

New star trek was ok, Expanse is great, altered carbon really awesome (read the books), Dark (If it is available in english) and for "I-wish-I-Could-Just-Use-It-Without-Repercussions" sake, watch Dirk Gently and read Douglas Adams' books. (I'm referring to a word. And I think I should just go to sleep already because this is starting to get too complex for you to follow correctly. [me dumb!])
I go punch my bed :horse:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 07:51:26 am »
If only.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 08:53:24 am »
...Glob damn it! I can go on for like hours and I have only watched the first two episodes!

You're gonna have a hard time watching the rest of the season.   :-DD

Thanks for the heads up   :-+ 

Gotta watch something while they shoot the latest Killjoys and The Expanse  8)

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 10:33:33 am »
I got as far as the first third of episode 3 and I had to give up. It was typical post-modernist rubbish, dysfunctional, non-cohesive family, the father is a mess, very poor acting in a blue or green room where the actors have nothing to act to and always seem to be looking in the wrong direction. Just another attempt to take a classic franchise and build a hollow “culturally updated” wishy washy clone. Like the last Star Wars attempts it looks like they dropped a bunch of actors into a Lost In Space theme park and told them to wing it.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:26 pm »
Oh, and don't forget: The stereotype-Mother is in charge for some reason. I guess feminism - but maybe more like because the father is yet another generically dumb ex-army "I don't think I've read anything except instruction manual for... years."-guy that speaks with the action-hero accent, but has to appeal the mother so that they can get a happy family once again blehrg.  He should teach them survival skills - but I guess that really doesn't matter anymore when you're walking on an alien planet with fauna and flora, but without Haz-Mat suites - so he does nothing, really. "Danger, little Timmy!"  :scared:
The woman-scientists are dominating - with the one exception they couldn't make dumb: Bobby. He has to be the intelligent, open minded, walking pride-of-his-family-bubble with a two legged techno-dog-tool.
The protagonists are all bad in some way, sometimes anyway.

I have nothing against woman, seriously, but feminists ... meh. Other than that feminists are not really needed anymore (said some feminists) since the 80s or whatever, some are just the worst human beings imaginable. And they get followers, in real life. How is that possible? wth?

If only.
Yeah. It just sounds very good written this way. And I meant that loosely, with emphasize on demise.

It isn't sci-fi so didn't put it in that list from above, but go watch Mindhunters. Very Great show!
BTW, do I use too many, comma, ta, eh? I don't really see you guys using them, except in enumerations.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:37:17 am by Distelzombie »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 10:01:18 pm »
Oh, and don't forget: The stereotype-Mother is in charge for some reason. I guess feminism - but maybe more like because the father is yet another generically dumb ex-army "I don't think I've read anything except instruction manual for... years."-guy that speaks with the action-hero accent, but has to appeal the mother so that they can get a happy family once again blehrg.  He should teach them survival skills - but I guess that really doesn't matter anymore when you're walking on an alien planet with fauna and flora, but without Haz-Mat suites - so he does nothing, really. "Danger, little Timmy!"
The woman-scientists are dominating - with the one exception they couldn't make dumb: Bobby. He has to be the intelligent, open minded, walking pride-his-family-bubble with a two legged techno-dog-tool.
Anyway. The protagonists are all bad in some way, sometimes anyway.

I have nothing against woman, seriously, but feminists ... meh. Other than that feminists are not really needed anymore (say some feminists) since the 80s or whatever, some are just the worst human beings imaginable. And they get followers, in real life. How is that possible? wth?

If only.
Yeah. It just sounds very good written this way. And I meant that loosely, with emphasize on demise.

It isn't sci-fi so didn't put it in that list from above, but go watch Mindhunters. Very Great show!
BTW, do I use too many, comma, ta, eh? I don't really see you guys using them, except in enumerations.

The woman is in charge because she's the only parent that's around. The father has been absent. The common objection of "oh well he's been deployed" is applicable until its put in context in the second half of the season. I can't say anything else without spoiling, but this is covered in two of the last five episodes.

I watched the entire series, and while I think it could carry the subheading "Why one family's communication problems nearly kills everybody, over and over again", I still think it was a pretty good series. The fact that the show isn't a good reflection of the original series (which I never saw) doesn't bother me at all, unlike a lot of you and a few reviewers. I didn't think it was boring in the first few episodes, but remember this problem is characteristic with full-season-released series these days: because the first season is all-up-in-one-go, they can have unusual pacing and revelation time scales. Like in this series, where some critical facts about the mother aren't revealed until episode 7 or 8.

I was somewhat pleased with the scientific realism (in lots of cases they make sound scientific deductions), except for a critical figure given about the maximum structural integrity speed for the Resolute was given to be 276,000 miles per hour. Which is about 0.41% of c. Given the distance to Alpha Centauri (their intended destination), this means the journey is at least ~ 10600 years long. That is a generation ship scenario, and the people alive at departure would not be expecting to survive until the destination. And yet people on the ship have claimed to have made the journey before.

Unless I'm missing something, I suspect they meant to say 276,000 miles per second. Which is about 150 times c. Then the journey would only take 10 days. This is scientific unrealism of a typical scifi sort, which I guess is forgiveable.

Overall, I liked it.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 01:23:38 am »
The woman is in charge because she's the only parent that's around. The father has been absent. The common objection of "oh well he's been deployed" is applicable until its put in context in the second half of the season. I can't say anything else without spoiling, but this is covered in two of the last five episodes.
Isn't the father stuck on the same planet with her. Always a few feet away. Tumbling through life because he is almost too dumb for proper human interconnection? Why is there a reason for that Army-guy not to be in charge? Is she like the scientist-of-survival, or what?

I didn't think it was boring in the first few episodes, but remember this problem is characteristic with full-season-released series these days: because the first season is all-up-in-one-go, they can have unusual pacing and revelation time scales. Like in this series, where some critical facts about the mother aren't revealed until episode 7 or 8.
Oh, let me guess: [Spoiler maybe. Select it.]
It comes out that she traded with the evil girl, putting her whole family on the line, just because she wanted to have her little Danny on board too. "Oooooh!" She gave her the access codes, a key-card or just smuggled her on board somehow whatever, and the evil girl hacked her only son into the humanity-must-survive mission. Another absolutely stupid thing. He didn't make the program? One child of a family of 5 isn't allowed to go with the rest even though only one family gets a whole big ship for themselves?? Totally manufactured for some kind of story... It really has to have something to do with the alien-robot-dog in the long run, too. "Just throw that thing into there, whatever!"
Oh wait! Now she is getting blackmailed by the evil girl! Oh nooooo! They could send her back to earth when that comes out! Oh nooooo! Wait... there are no possible repercussions for her at this time? "Well, let her freak anyway, fuck shit up, almost kill someone maybe... Who really cares?"
Oh, and the father was probably on a mission to destroy or move the asteroid - which failed, so he got to be on the new-hope-ship of death and that's why he was always away in the last years, huh?
[end]
Am I right?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:33:28 am by Distelzombie »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 01:49:20 am »
Isn't the father stuck on the same planet with her. Always a few feet away. Tumbling through life because he is almost too dumb for proper human interconnection? Why is there a reason for that Army-guy not to be in charge? Is she like the scientist-of-survival, or what?

spoiler:
No. She's the designer of the ship. He wasn't around because he deployed in the military, and it's revealed that he chose to deploy rather than stay with the family (while he lied and said he was selected). But essentially the reason is that she's been raising the children by herself so she's in charge. He's also not a scientist, not an expert at any of the processes involved in the ship.

<spoiler elided>
... Am I right?

spoilers:
I actually don't understand who was the person who agreed to "hack" their file so that the child could go. But it looks like it was official (e.g. on the books). I don't think the evil girl was the one who did it. Speculating: since the part of the tests the child failed was the psychological/stress part, maybe the sister of the evil girl (the person who the evil girl replaced) was the one who let her on, but I'm still not clear what they traded off. In any case, this is not a last ditch effort to save humanity. There have been many ships full of colonists sent (presumably this is the 24th, as stated). Earth is not doomed, it's just very unpleasant. It would have been doomed, perhaps, if the thing which hit the Earth was a meteor or asteroid, but it is revealed in the last two episodes that it was not. Apparently it was an alien ship of some kind, and that's how they got the alien technology, and that's why the aliens attacked the Resolute, and so on. This has some holes of its own (how did they build so many ships, so fast? How did they discover how to interface with the alien technology so fast? Why did they decide to build the ships even after they realized the Earth's atmosphere would not be darkened?)

Anyways, of all the things in this that I have problems with, the super expert female scientist being in charge is not one of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:26:29 am by technogeeky »

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 02:14:20 am »
You have to use #F0F4F7
The first and the last sentence of your first spoiler are contradicting. Doesn't sound like shes an expert at all.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:12 am »
You have to use #F0F4F7
The first and the last sentence of your first spoiler are contradicting. Doesn't sound like shes an expert at all.

I don't know which two lines you mean, but she's shown to be an expert at various things during the show. She may not be an expert on survival per se, but she seems to have pretty good knowledge of a lot more fields than her expertise.

The child is also some kind of super-genius evidently. I'd like to also say that the redheaded child has some very funny lines later on. I don't remember too many at the beginning.

Like I said, overall I thought it was quite good. It has a strange mixture of being slow building (the first three episodes are fraught with danger, but they also progress slowly) and fast developing (the later episodes have one challenge in each episode, resolved in each episode).

Offline n3rdx

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:32 am »

I was somewhat pleased with the scientific realism (in lots of cases they make sound scientific deductions), except for a critical figure given about the maximum structural integrity speed for the Resolute was given to be 276,000 miles per hour. Which is about 0.41% of c. Given the distance to Alpha Centauri (their intended destination), this means the journey is at least ~ 10600 years long. That is a generation ship scenario, and the people alive at departure would not be expecting to survive until the destination. And yet people on the ship have claimed to have made the journey before.

Unless I'm missing something, I suspect they meant to say 276,000 miles per second. Which is about 150 times c. Then the journey would only take 10 days. This is scientific unrealism of a typical scifi sort, which I guess is forgiveable.

Overall, I liked it.

I liked it, exactly because the script writing had to have had a panel of planetary science, astrodynamics, orbital mechanics resource persons. And also aerospace engineers. At last, finally we are getting more Sci-Fi story lines with could-be-realistic machinery that was purpose built for the shows : the Chariots, the Jupiter with thrusters, the Comms that were short range, and the whole plot line with no RF comms between the mothership in orbit and ground terminals as the high gain antenna on the mothership is kaput (and on the planet). Well, I am sure others will gripe: What happened to EE skillset in the future? Seriously no one knows how to setup a phase array antenna to beam stear a radio signal? Also they would gripe about: What was the chemical formula of the liquid methane based propellant that allowed a small tank of fuel to power a Jupiter from the ground all the way to high orbit in seconds? and be able to be produced from almost anything? Yes, it is probably a TV series and I am joking, these plot points were a welcome and necessary element to the flow of the story with each episode. But at least the science was understandable: Wormhole device built by aliens, lost in a crash on Earth, "borrowed" by Humans, adapted clumsily to the most modern spacecraft (Resolute) and pressed into service to colonize Alpha Centauri - keeping all under wraps - until the aliens come through said wormhole device (installed in the ship)  to take it back, which brings us the the first few minutes of episode 1. And ... loved the technical instrumentation and the great escape out of the bog pit in a helium filed bag with the actors show casing their squeak voices at the end. The cliffhanger bodes well for Season two, what happens to the lone crew of maturing individuals now that they are in the proverbial lion's den being shanghaied there by the alien blue sphere - which installed modifications to the Jupiters engine to travel interstellar distances in a blink of an eye, when it couldn't do that before. Also, the Resolute's capabilities were top secret as it must have used the "drive" in a partial way to allow several trips over the past year to take place (23 colonies before this mission).

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 03:21:03 am »

Overall, I liked it.

I liked it, exactly because the script writing had to have had a panel of planetary science, astrodynamics, orbital mechanics resource persons. And also aerospace engineers. At last, finally we are getting more Sci-Fi story lines with could-be-realistic machinery that was purpose built for the shows : the Chariots, the Jupiter with thrusters, the Comms that were short range, and the whole plot line with no RF comms between the mothership in orbit and ground terminals as the high gain antenna on the mothership is kaput (and on the planet). Well, I am sure others will gripe: What happened to EE skillset in the future? Seriously no one knows how to setup a phase array antenna to beam stear a radio signal? Also they would gripe about: What was the chemical formula of the liquid methane based propellant that allowed a small tank of fuel to power a Jupiter from the ground all the way to high orbit in seconds? and be able to be produced from almost anything? Yes, it is probably a TV series and I am joking, these plot points were a welcome and necessary element to the flow of the story with each episode. But at least the science was understandable: Wormhole device built by aliens, lost in a crash on Earth, "borrowed" by Humans, adapted clumsily to the most modern spacecraft (Resolute) and pressed into service to colonize Alpha Centauri - keeping all under wraps - until the aliens come through said wormhole device (installed in the ship)  to take it back, which brings us the the first few minutes of episode 1. And ... loved the technical instrumentation and the great escape out of the bog pit in a helium filed bag with the actors show casing their squeak voices at the end. The cliffhanger bodes well for Season two, what happens to the lone crew of maturing individuals now that they are in the proverbial lion's den being shanghaied there by the alien blue sphere - which installed modifications to the Jupiters engine to travel interstellar distances in a blink of an eye, when it couldn't do that before. Also, the Resolute's capabilities were top secret as it must have used the "drive" in a partial way to allow several trips over the past year to take place (23 colonies before this mission).

The radios they are using are actual Standard Horizon Marine VHF radios, too (made by Yaesu).

Another scientific detail they got wrong: the detecting of a black hole by Hawking radiation. A quick calculation will show that direct detection of Hawking radiation is essentially impossible, especially when the background temperature is as high as it is now (~ 2.4 K). There would be plenty of ways to detect a black hole that closely, but Hawking radiation is not one of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:28:11 am by technogeeky »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:56 am »
I've only seen trailers at this point, but I wasn't wowed by the robot.  To me it looked like they took the Destroyer out of Thor and gave it new makeup and a costume change.  Not very creative, I thought.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:43 am »
I've only seen trailers at this point, but I wasn't wowed by the robot.  To me it looked like they took the Destroyer out of Thor and gave it new makeup and a costume change.  Not very creative, I thought.
It was creative until it made itself bland. So I guess that is even more creative?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 03:56:29 am »
It was creative until it made itself bland. So I guess that is even more creative?

What ... a sort of "inverse" creativity?

The morbidity of my curiosity is intensifying.

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:48 am »
Interesting how the ship is undamaged after tens of thousands of tonnes of ice collapses onto it. The science was dismal in the first three episodes. The ships are capable of flying in space but the engines are gas turbine jet engines (based on the multiple jet engine cores in the wreckage of one of the Jupiter’s). And methane based fuel? A somewhat low energy density fuel feeding gas turbine engines. In a space ship.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:59 am »
Guys... totally confused here   :-//

Do I have a go at watching this or stick to 1950s and 60s sci-fi flicks on Youtube ?  :phew:

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:42 am »
Guys... totally confused here   :-//

Do I have a go at watching this or stick to 1950s and 60s sci-fi flicks on Youtube ?  :phew:

You could put it on as background while you surf eBay for test equipment.  That way, the wife thinks you are doing something other than buying more test equipment.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Distelzombie

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:28 am »
Disclaimer: I also never watched the original series, but i watched the '98 movie :palm:

boy it was difficult to get through the first episode. i skipped about half ot if.

ending: wow! lotta millenium falcons! -_-

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:44 am »
Its raining, have a tent right there, cut a hole in the bottom, no more rain in the hole, or at least less.

Drove me nuts.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:19 am »

Drove me nuts.
But the water could flow into it from the outside. It's way easier to simply get lost in a universe with compatible physics in the first place.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2018, 06:54:36 pm »
I have to confess I was really surprised to learn how popular Lost in Space was in other parts of the world and particularly down under.  I was a kid when it was originally broadcast and I was never a big fan.  I loved Star Trek but Lost in Space -- not so much.

It is also interesting that the production values were, as best I can tell, pretty similar to Doctor Who and perhaps the style appeals to Britts and Aussies. 

Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

Brian

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »
The characters in the new series have a bit more depth then in the original series , and the robot kicks ass.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:24:03 pm by hopski »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2018, 07:22:53 pm »
Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

This show has three Wesley Crushers.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:35 pm »
And beause episode 2 is being almost just as boring i decided to watch the movie again.. hey it was better than i remembered! also compared to most of the sci-fi movies i saw in recent years

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »
It get's better

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »
I remember watching the original series. I was big time into rockets and stuff, so I like the episodes in space the most. Unfortunately they seemed to spend most of their time landed. I had kind of a thing for Angela Cartwright though which made that more tolerable.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 09:04:09 pm »

In that case I will never even check it out. 

Brian

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 12:01:53 am »
I thought he was annoying too, they waaaaaaay overdid his super smart aspect, to the point that it was just silly.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 03:02:32 am »
I thought he was annoying too, they waaaaaaay overdid his super smart aspect, to the point that it was just silly.

Hollywood has this pathetic fixation to portray young boys as super geniuses AND IT NEVER WORKS!  This isn't a new thing either and in spite of the fact that it never works they always use it.  That and the need to work someone like Einstein into a musical or some nonsense like that.

I don't get it, I just don't get it...

Brian

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:13 am »

Hollywood has this pathetic fixation to portray young boys as super geniuses AND IT NEVER WORKS!  This isn't a new thing either and in spite of the fact that it never works they always use it.  That and the need to work someone like Einstein into a musical or some nonsense like that.

Brian
Enders game worked. I'm sure there are some others.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 04:31:05 am »

Brian

The problem with these portrayals is that these super geniuses are portrayed as having normal social interactions.  If they want to "get real" they could take a few lessons from TBBT and the recent "Young Sheldon" series.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 08:24:37 am »

This is nonsense.

There are either zero or one Wesley Crushers. But the two sisters are in no way like Wesley, if that's what you meant. The younger sister is funny and endearing. The older sister is responsible and caring.

I have to conclude that you haven't watched more than the first episode or two, I suppose. In fact, nearly everyone that has a problem with this show has admitted or hinted that they've only seen an episode or two. For better or worse, it appears to get any value from this show you have to watch a few more episodes. Perhaps it's bad writing, perhaps it's short (long-term) attention spans. Perhaps it's just mis-calibrated expectations. Perhaps you really don't and won't like it, even if you watched all of it.

It's a good show. It's not great. It's not excellent. But it's not trash.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:30:15 am by technogeeky »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:02 am »
Hey guys, if there's too many Wes Crushers on the ship, the nearest air lock can't be too far away...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:56 am »
Strangely enough I have a black and white photo of the original Dr Zachary Smith and the robot hanging in my workshop that he autographed for me when he visited Australia once. (Jonathan Harris, not the robot).

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:02 am »

This is nonsense.

There are either zero or one Wesley Crushers. But the two sisters are in no way like Wesley, if that's what you meant. The younger sister is funny and endearing. The older sister is responsible and caring.

I have to conclude that you haven't watched more than the first episode or two, I suppose. In fact, nearly everyone that has a problem with this show has admitted or hinted that they've only seen an episode or two. For better or worse, it appears to get any value from this show you have to watch a few more episodes. Perhaps it's bad writing, perhaps it's short (long-term) attention spans. Perhaps it's just mis-calibrated expectations. Perhaps you really don't and won't like it, even if you watched all of it.

It's a good show. It's not great. It's not excellent. But it's not trash.

I've watched the entire season.  My observations stand.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/netflix-remake-of-lost-in-space/msg1480188/#msg1480188     

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2018, 11:05:06 am »
Maybe it's time for a poll?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2018, 08:26:14 am »
First episode down...dunno what's the worst part about it. But it was bad.

Being frozen in solid ice for 5 hours? This has to be a few thousand times more psychologically disturbing and physically painful than being waterboarded. This is buried alive but without even the space of a coffin. Makes me think that these miracle space suits should have some sort of a cyanide pill for emergencies. But in this show, 5 hours is plenty of time to nonchalantly... well, w/e they are doing it didn't include any worrying. Plenty of time for napping and taking a 3 week trek in the mountains. I feel more urgency at least twice a day when nature calls. :)

There is no way they could ever Re-Make doctor smith.......
Maybe an odd comparison, but there was one episode of Firefly where Jane's character brought back memories of Dr. Smith. A more muscle-headed version. I can't believe they made only 1 season of that show. But here I am, I didn't discover it until a few years after it was canceled.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:41:17 am by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2018, 09:02:20 am »
Thanks to the sci-fi-ers here, this is the third night I've put off watching this show    ::)

Am I doing the right thing?  :-// 

:D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2018, 09:38:04 am »
I've read enough to be wary - but interested enough to see for myself when I get the chance.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
I remember watching the original series. I was big time into rockets and stuff, so I like the episodes in space the most. Unfortunately they seemed to spend most of their time landed. I had kind of a thing for Angela Cartwright though which made that more tolerable.

Most of the episodes on land were pretty good. The green lady in space "Beautiful, handsome Dr. Smith" annoyed the crap out of me.

Examples of great episodes, IMO:
The best episode was Mr Nobody - the ending was very dramatic and quite moving. It would be difficult to remake this.
And of course Uncle Thadius, the invisible monster.
Smith becoming King Midas with fake riches.
The Aliens without a mouth, "Bring us the mechanical man"
Will returning to earth for a short time via the intergalactic transporter machine (and he got a bottle of Deutronium from the drug store on Earth).

The odd thing about aliens. They were locals on the planet, not aliens. The Robinsons and Smith were the aliens. The Americans are still paranoid about aliens. At US international airports there are two queues formed upon entry into US Customs. One marked "US Citizens" the other "Aliens". :-DD

I like Outer Limits and Twilight Zone a lot too.
For those interested, check this out this treat: The Galaxy Being on the original Outer Limits...

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »
It does get better. episode 3 was one of my favourites

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »
Will returning to earth for a short time via the intergalactic transporter machine (and he got a bottle of Deutronium from the drug store on Earth).

It wasn't deutronium - it was carbon tetrachloride (for the food preserver, I think).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2018, 04:16:36 pm »
 :-[

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:04 am »
Well...I didn't think anything could be worse than ST Discovery and The Orville... I was wrong.    :-[

I really want to like this show guys, but after ploughing and WTFing up to midway fourth episode, I had to throw in the towel, 
I don't care if they are Lost In Spades or what happens next

The ship looks like a mash up of The Defiant and Millennium Falcon, where's the Jupiter 2 saucer style? 

How/when did that robot get stuck in that tree and re-assemble itself? Did I doze off?

How did they break free from a mountain of rock hard ice without a dent, and defy weight/physics/Hollywood Sci-Fi laws ? 

Doctor Smith? ... please...   :palm: :palm:

This show is just too  S  L  O  W  and cumbersome,

and the Battlestar Galactica flashback style is just as bad as the Battlestar Galactica flashbacks

The LIS actors and effects are good and all that, but it's just not happening  :=\

Oh, the pain...the pain...   :horse:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2018, 11:19:31 am »
...How/when did that robot get stuck in that tree and re-assemble itself? Did I doze off?
...Doctor Smith? ... please...   :palm: :palm:
...This show is just too  S  L  O  W  and cumbersome,
...Oh, the pain...the pain...   :horse:

It seems the Americans have lost the ability to make decent films. The 1964 movie Fail Safe is evidence they were once able to make films with depth. I stopped after episode 3 of the Lost In Space - just could not be bothered any more. One good thing about LIS on Netflix -it is a great cure for insomnia. :=\

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
ST discovery was acceptable. At least any new Star Trek series, come one.

He got stuck in the first episode, when Will found him and made him his dog - to which he complied for no reason.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2018, 04:28:59 pm »
I don't know if I can agree with that. 'The Orville' feels much more like Star Trek to me compared to ST Discovery.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2018, 04:31:19 pm »
I don't know if I can agree with that. 'The Orville' feels much more like Star Trek to me compared to ST Discovery.
Woah! How could that even be? It's a joke. The series is a joke. :D
Because their budget is so low?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2018, 06:25:27 pm »
Yes, but Star Trek TNG has some humor in it as well. Like commander Data who would always read social situations wrong.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:33 pm »
That was more like intelligent humor and not like doofus blabbings. Uh, not like I didn't laugh sometimes, it was ok. I mean, look at me! ahah

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2018, 07:34:00 pm »
That was more like intelligent humor and not like doofus blabbings. Uh, not like I didn't laugh sometimes, it was ok. I mean, look at me! ahah

As a 12 year old boy trapped in a man's body, I admit that I find Seth McFarland's efforts humorous.  At least with Orville, there is no misrepresentation of what you are getting.  In fact, I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised how that show has been more entertaining than I expected.  The humor isn't anywhere near what a 12 yr old requires, but there has been actual decent drama and character development. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2018, 08:52:04 am »
Just thought to ask how is the LIS resident chicken going ?   :D

..one of the few reasons I endeavored to persevere as far as the fourth episode     :=\ 

Have they named it... 'Debbie' yet ?

Has it bailed them out of anything dangerous ?

Is the chicken and robot an item perhaps?  :popcorn:

or are the scriptwriters going to encourage Doctor Smith to KFC it   :scared:  because it's sorta stealing the show?    :clap:

;D

Offline 8bitgasm

• Contributor
    • 8bitgasm
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2018, 06:39:10 pm »
Without so much as watching an episode of LIS, I came here reading the exact comments I anticipated.  That's how predictably bad America has become with Sci-fi, I suppose. 

I saw the previews, really wanted to like it, but knew there was going to be no point in even starting to watch it. 

Just like I will never relive the original Star Wars experience (Rogue One being a minor exception) and Star Trek TNG experience (ST Discovery was brutal); there was no way I could possibly count on reliving my childhood youth growing up watching Lost in Space on Space Channel in the mid 90s.  :blah:

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2018, 05:32:07 am »
Altered Carbon is decent. It could have been so much better, but at least it's halfway good. And sex. Lots of sex.

It's also on Netflix.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, Distelzombie

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:52 am »
Altered Carbon is decent. It could have been so much better, but at least it's halfway good. And sex. Lots of sex.

It's also on Netflix.

Thanks  :-+ will chase that show up, and just have to fast forward or deal with the s*x  :palm:

hopefully there's no stray LIS chickens involved   :o

EDIT: I tried watching LIS again, it's just silly, I just can't lock into it   :-//

Tried Altered Carbon too, didn't get far with that either   :=\ 

These shows are too slow paced and lethargic, and or something that doesn't pull me in, or it's just me?  ::)

I'll stick to assorted sci-fi re-runs and wait for new seasons of The Expanse and Killjoys   :-+
Those shows rocked from the first scene and didn't let up   8)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:39:07 pm by Electro Detective »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf