Author Topic: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space  (Read 17327 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Netflix Remake of Lost In Space
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 12:01:53 am »
I thought he was annoying too, they waaaaaaay overdid his super smart aspect, to the point that it was just silly.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 03:02:32 am »
I thought he was annoying too, they waaaaaaay overdid his super smart aspect, to the point that it was just silly.

Hollywood has this pathetic fixation to portray young boys as super geniuses AND IT NEVER WORKS!  This isn't a new thing either and in spite of the fact that it never works they always use it.  That and the need to work someone like Einstein into a musical or some nonsense like that.

I don't get it, I just don't get it...

Brian

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:13 am »

Hollywood has this pathetic fixation to portray young boys as super geniuses AND IT NEVER WORKS!  This isn't a new thing either and in spite of the fact that it never works they always use it.  That and the need to work someone like Einstein into a musical or some nonsense like that.

Brian
Enders game worked. I'm sure there are some others.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 04:31:05 am »

Brian

The problem with these portrayals is that these super geniuses are portrayed as having normal social interactions.  If they want to "get real" they could take a few lessons from TBBT and the recent "Young Sheldon" series.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 08:24:37 am »
Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

This show has three Wesley Crushers.

This is nonsense.

There are either zero or one Wesley Crushers. But the two sisters are in no way like Wesley, if that's what you meant. The younger sister is funny and endearing. The older sister is responsible and caring.

I have to conclude that you haven't watched more than the first episode or two, I suppose. In fact, nearly everyone that has a problem with this show has admitted or hinted that they've only seen an episode or two. For better or worse, it appears to get any value from this show you have to watch a few more episodes. Perhaps it's bad writing, perhaps it's short (long-term) attention spans. Perhaps it's just mis-calibrated expectations. Perhaps you really don't and won't like it, even if you watched all of it.

It's a good show. It's not great. It's not excellent. But it's not trash.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:30:15 am by technogeeky »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:02 am »
Hey guys, if there's too many Wes Crushers on the ship, the nearest air lock can't be too far away...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:56 am »
Strangely enough I have a black and white photo of the original Dr Zachary Smith and the robot hanging in my workshop that he autographed for me when he visited Australia once. (Jonathan Harris, not the robot).

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:02 am »
Perhaps my least favorite character is Will, but then I couldn't stand the kid in Star Trek the Next Generation -- Wesley Crusher.

This show has three Wesley Crushers.

This is nonsense.

There are either zero or one Wesley Crushers. But the two sisters are in no way like Wesley, if that's what you meant. The younger sister is funny and endearing. The older sister is responsible and caring.

I have to conclude that you haven't watched more than the first episode or two, I suppose. In fact, nearly everyone that has a problem with this show has admitted or hinted that they've only seen an episode or two. For better or worse, it appears to get any value from this show you have to watch a few more episodes. Perhaps it's bad writing, perhaps it's short (long-term) attention spans. Perhaps it's just mis-calibrated expectations. Perhaps you really don't and won't like it, even if you watched all of it.

It's a good show. It's not great. It's not excellent. But it's not trash.

I've watched the entire season.  My observations stand.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/netflix-remake-of-lost-in-space/msg1480188/#msg1480188     

Offline hopski

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2018, 11:05:06 am »
Maybe it's time for a poll?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2018, 08:26:14 am »
First episode down...dunno what's the worst part about it. But it was bad.

Being frozen in solid ice for 5 hours? This has to be a few thousand times more psychologically disturbing and physically painful than being waterboarded. This is buried alive but without even the space of a coffin. Makes me think that these miracle space suits should have some sort of a cyanide pill for emergencies. But in this show, 5 hours is plenty of time to nonchalantly... well, w/e they are doing it didn't include any worrying. Plenty of time for napping and taking a 3 week trek in the mountains. I feel more urgency at least twice a day when nature calls. :)

There is no way they could ever Re-Make doctor smith.......
Maybe an odd comparison, but there was one episode of Firefly where Jane's character brought back memories of Dr. Smith. A more muscle-headed version. I can't believe they made only 1 season of that show. But here I am, I didn't discover it until a few years after it was canceled.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:41:17 am by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2018, 09:02:20 am »
Thanks to the sci-fi-ers here, this is the third night I've put off watching this show    ::)

Am I doing the right thing?  :-// 

:D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2018, 09:38:04 am »
I've read enough to be wary - but interested enough to see for myself when I get the chance.

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2018, 02:48:44 pm »
I remember watching the original series. I was big time into rockets and stuff, so I like the episodes in space the most. Unfortunately they seemed to spend most of their time landed. I had kind of a thing for Angela Cartwright though which made that more tolerable.

Most of the episodes on land were pretty good. The green lady in space "Beautiful, handsome Dr. Smith" annoyed the crap out of me.

Examples of great episodes, IMO:
The best episode was Mr Nobody - the ending was very dramatic and quite moving. It would be difficult to remake this.
And of course Uncle Thadius, the invisible monster.
Smith becoming King Midas with fake riches.
The Aliens without a mouth, "Bring us the mechanical man"
Will returning to earth for a short time via the intergalactic transporter machine (and he got a bottle of Deutronium from the drug store on Earth).

The odd thing about aliens. They were locals on the planet, not aliens. The Robinsons and Smith were the aliens. The Americans are still paranoid about aliens. At US international airports there are two queues formed upon entry into US Customs. One marked "US Citizens" the other "Aliens". :-DD

I like Outer Limits and Twilight Zone a lot too.
For those interested, check this out this treat: The Galaxy Being on the original Outer Limits...

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:32 pm »
It does get better. episode 3 was one of my favourites

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »
Will returning to earth for a short time via the intergalactic transporter machine (and he got a bottle of Deutronium from the drug store on Earth).

It wasn't deutronium - it was carbon tetrachloride (for the food preserver, I think).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2018, 04:16:36 pm »
 :-[

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2018, 10:06:04 am »
Well...I didn't think anything could be worse than ST Discovery and The Orville... I was wrong.    :-[

I really want to like this show guys, but after ploughing and WTFing up to midway fourth episode, I had to throw in the towel, 
I don't care if they are Lost In Spades or what happens next

The ship looks like a mash up of The Defiant and Millennium Falcon, where's the Jupiter 2 saucer style? 

How/when did that robot get stuck in that tree and re-assemble itself? Did I doze off?

How did they break free from a mountain of rock hard ice without a dent, and defy weight/physics/Hollywood Sci-Fi laws ? 

Doctor Smith? ... please...   :palm: :palm:

This show is just too  S  L  O  W  and cumbersome,

and the Battlestar Galactica flashback style is just as bad as the Battlestar Galactica flashbacks

The LIS actors and effects are good and all that, but it's just not happening  :=\

Oh, the pain...the pain...   :horse:

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2018, 11:19:31 am »
...How/when did that robot get stuck in that tree and re-assemble itself? Did I doze off?
...Doctor Smith? ... please...   :palm: :palm:
...This show is just too  S  L  O  W  and cumbersome,
...Oh, the pain...the pain...   :horse:

It seems the Americans have lost the ability to make decent films. The 1964 movie Fail Safe is evidence they were once able to make films with depth. I stopped after episode 3 of the Lost In Space - just could not be bothered any more. One good thing about LIS on Netflix -it is a great cure for insomnia. :=\

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
ST discovery was acceptable. At least any new Star Trek series, come one.

He got stuck in the first episode, when Will found him and made him his dog - to which he complied for no reason.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2018, 04:28:59 pm »
I don't know if I can agree with that. 'The Orville' feels much more like Star Trek to me compared to ST Discovery.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2018, 04:31:19 pm »
I don't know if I can agree with that. 'The Orville' feels much more like Star Trek to me compared to ST Discovery.
Woah! How could that even be? It's a joke. The series is a joke. :D
Because their budget is so low?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2018, 06:25:27 pm »
Yes, but Star Trek TNG has some humor in it as well. Like commander Data who would always read social situations wrong.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2018, 06:48:33 pm »
That was more like intelligent humor and not like doofus blabbings. Uh, not like I didn't laugh sometimes, it was ok. I mean, look at me! ahah

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2018, 07:34:00 pm »
That was more like intelligent humor and not like doofus blabbings. Uh, not like I didn't laugh sometimes, it was ok. I mean, look at me! ahah

As a 12 year old boy trapped in a man's body, I admit that I find Seth McFarland's efforts humorous.  At least with Orville, there is no misrepresentation of what you are getting.  In fact, I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised how that show has been more entertaining than I expected.  The humor isn't anywhere near what a 12 yr old requires, but there has been actual decent drama and character development. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2018, 08:52:04 am »
Just thought to ask how is the LIS resident chicken going ?   :D

..one of the few reasons I endeavored to persevere as far as the fourth episode     :=\ 

Have they named it... 'Debbie' yet ?

Has it bailed them out of anything dangerous ?

Is the chicken and robot an item perhaps?  :popcorn:

or are the scriptwriters going to encourage Doctor Smith to KFC it   :scared:  because it's sorta stealing the show?    :clap:

;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf