Author Topic: New AMD Ryzen Threadripper Editing Machine  (Read 35100 times)

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Re: New AMD Ryzen Threadripper Editing Machine
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2018, 10:10:58 am »
btw - if anyone wants an ULTRA clean Windows 10 without the junk - lookup Windows 10 LTSB.

Microsoft does only supply it to "volume subscriber" clients - but maybe there are ways of getting it. Latest version is a 2016 build. It DOES get all security updates but not all the feature updates. Next release will be a 2018 build at some point. My next re-install will be Win10 LTSB based.

My Thinkpad P70 Xeon/NVidia M2200? does pretty well on encoding on Vegas Pro 15- one 1920x1080 output mp4 I encode at about 120-150% (so 100% is 1:1 = 1 min output = 1 min encode time) - so right now 1 minute output takes about 40-50 seconds to encode - with plenty of mixed sources 480p/720p/1080p60f etc) - but I have an external USB3 SSD for the projects and that helped a lot. Still not using 100% CPU or 100% GPU - but acceptable.

Just too many "exceptions" that kills Vegas IMHO. :) so I'm eagerly awaiting the next build. Why there is not better exception handling in Vegas Pro I do not know.....

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
But were you able to solve the windows problems?

No. I cannot upgrade to the latest release, it just locks up at 33% install regardless of how long I leave it.
And every time I boot it locks up, I have to hard power off and start again and it always works a 2nd time.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 10:51:38 am »
At the risk of being stoned to death...

Have you tried Final Cut Pro? Yes, I know, on a Mac. I have used it since ages. Many years ago I even edited a TV ad
on a 12 inch Powerbook G4 and it worked.

When ingesting video it converts it automatically to Prores, an efficient format especially designed for edition, and it works like a charm. At least in my experience.

The following users thanked this post: dryjoints

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 11:54:18 am »

No. I cannot upgrade to the latest release, it just locks up at 33% install regardless of how long I leave it.
And every time I boot it locks up, I have to hard power off and start again and it always works a 2nd time.

Assuming it locks up in Windows and not before, could you try booting in safe mode (just set it to boot in safe mode before turning on the next day)? Just to see if it will boot properly the first time or not.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 12:39:27 pm »
At the risk of being stoned to death...

Have you tried Final Cut Pro? Yes, I know, on a Mac. I have used it since ages. Many years ago I even edited a TV ad
on a 12 inch Powerbook G4 and it worked.

Yes I have tried it, and it sucked and was slow. Zero benefit.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 12:40:10 pm »
Assuming it locks up in Windows and not before, could you try booting in safe mode (just set it to boot in safe mode before turning on the next day)? Just to see if it will boot properly the first time or not.

Done that, doesn't help.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2018, 01:07:20 pm »

What kind of machine do you have now? Is it a self built system? I'd let memtest do a full test on the memory. Something working the second time is very fishy and might be a memory problem.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2018, 02:17:33 pm »
Now I'm curious :) Which machine and Final Cut version? Could you share a bit about your workflow? (Source video format, etc).

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:07 pm »
Dave, have you ever tried doing approximately the same workflow on Linux, at least the ripping part of it?

You might be able to use GPU rendering on Linux more successfully than on Windows, that wouldnt surprise me at all.

If you want to try that, an easy way to get it set up is to use Debian and enable the Debian Multimedia repositories- but bear in mind that this will update a lot of stuff irreversibly from the current Debian versions. Debian Multimedia is more like running Debian unstable or testing, its around a year ahead of Debian stable.

This is their web site. If you do this, I would just do it as an experiment, and I am saying it with the caveat that I have not done it myself because I have no idea how good the DMO stuff is for security..

But they do have a lot of nice content creation apps and codecs, etc, which the regular Debian repositories have much older versions of or don't have at all.

http://www.deb-multimedia.org/
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:06 pm »

That is a tough one...  :-//
I assume you have all motherboard drivers on the newest version for WIN10?

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 03:27:23 pm »
There have been issues about upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Creators edition, but I have also found it one of the best Windows versions to do a clean install with.

It is pretty good at finding drivers online. Reinstalling Windows is a pain, but a brand new install of the latest Windows 10 does seem to run very nicely.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 10:04:05 pm »
Windows 10 likes to update drivers on older machines with some generic crap without asking. Often it get things broken. Like my laptop made in 2014, this stupid crap updates ME drivers and causes some weird ass issues which seem like occasionally happening hardware fault. The only way to get it working properly is to disable particular driver update, otherwise it will again replace the driver.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:53 am »
Dave, have you ever tried doing approximately the same workflow on Linux, at least the ripping part of it?
You might be able to use GPU rendering on Linux more successfully than on Windows, that wouldnt surprise me at all.

I do not want to use Linux.
GPU is working just fine now.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2018, 04:09:09 am »
I assume you have all motherboard drivers on the newest version for WIN10?

My motherboard is not supported by Windows 10, that's like part of the problem.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 04:12:12 am »
Now I'm curious :) Which machine and Final Cut version? Could you share a bit about your workflow? (Source video format, etc).

I know everyone wants to help, but sorry but I've gone over a this dozen times before, I'm not going to discuss moving to Mac, Linux, or another editing program.

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2018, 05:37:07 am »
Dave, what is more valuable to you - time or money? If you value your life (most sane people do) then how about you just buy a 5K iMac? Arguments for and against can go on forever, but for a professional YouTuber with time at a premium, I am extremely surprised that you're still fiddling around futzing and schmutzing with tin box computers and asking random internet folk about processors... seriously, you're wasting so much time and energy on this faffing about. Do you want to buy a screwdriver and removed screws with it, or design a mould for the handle, machine it out, choose a resin for the handle... make a steel shaft... shucks man, just buy a Mac and quit wasting your life on this kids play rubbish.

YES, you like and are used to your current NLE - well guess what, we all HAVE to learn new things, so either you wanna edit and publish videos like a pro, or you wanna keep dilberting around with half-baked custom PCs, because you enjoy this nonsense of "sticking it to the man" ("the man" being Apple, most likely, I can hear your words ringing... SCREECHING in my ears, son.) If you "enjoy" building PCs like someone who's just discovered that modules plug together, have at it...or just get a Mac and let Apple take the strain of concerning themselves about what fits where, what driver does what.

PS: When WAS the last time you gave FCPX a fair go - 2009? Come on man, I can't take you seriously unless you open yourself up and try AGAIN, sheesh.

Macs are the de-facto editing machine for professionals.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:39:58 am by dryjoints »

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2018, 05:38:13 am »

I know everyone wants to help, but sorry but I've gone over a this dozen times before, I'm not going to discuss moving to Mac, Linux, or another editing program.

Keep suffering then.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2018, 05:39:05 am »
5K iMac? Why not a Surface Studio?

It's funny seeing all the directions people want to pull Dave, Linux, Mac, Final Cut..

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2018, 05:41:45 am »
5K iMac? Why not a Surface Studio?

It's funny seeing all the directions people want to pull Dave, Linux, Mac, Final Cut..

Because... they're a gimmicky piece of shite with mobile parts, and because Apple support WORKS and doesn't palm you off, and because a Mac IS the right tool for the job, any pro worth his ££ knows that this topic is never even up for debate, it's a given, has been for decades.

And I agree, Linux... really?   |O Okay if you have 30 years to work out all the bugs that the FOSS hippies can't be bothered to fix.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:43:17 am by dryjoints »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:22 am »
But Sony Vegas Pro don't run on Mac, and Dave does not use Mac, so it's a moot suggestion.

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:21 am »
But Sony Vegas Pro don't run on Mac, and Dave does not use Mac, so it's a moot suggestion.

:palm:

You can lead a horse to water... but Dave is a mule.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2018, 05:49:13 am »
Dave, what is more valuable to you - time or money? If you value your life (most sane people do) then how about you just buy a 5K iMac? Arguments for and against can go on forever, but for a professional YouTuber with time at a premium, I am extremely surprised that you're still fiddling around futzing and schmutzing with tin box computers and asking random internet folk about processors... seriously, you're wasting so much time and energy on this faffing about. Do you want to buy a screwdriver and removed screws with it, or design a mould for the handle, machine it out, choose a resin for the handle... make a steel shaft... shucks man, just buy a Mac and quit wasting your life on this kids play rubbish.

YES, you like and are used to your current NLE - well guess what, we all HAVE to learn new things, so either you wanna edit and publish videos like a pro, or you wanna keep dilberting around with half-baked custom PCs, because you enjoy this nonsense of "sticking it to the man" ("the man" being Apple, most likely, I can hear your words ringing... SCREECHING in my ears, son.) If you "enjoy" building PCs like someone who's just discovered that modules plug together, have at it...or just get a Mac and let Apple take the strain of concerning themselves about what fits where, what driver does what.

PS: When WAS the last time you gave FCPX a fair go - 2009? Come on man, I can't take you seriously unless you open yourself up and try AGAIN, sheesh.

I assume with your bold statement here, you are a pro video guy for a living ?

Mind share few of your works ? One or two uploads to Youtube to convince us or especially Dave.

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2018, 05:54:50 am »

Mind share few of your works ? One or two uploads to Youtube to convince us or especially Dave.

Ask 100 pro YouTube channels what they use, the answer will resound the same across the majority. I am not allowed to share my profession or works due to various contracts, suffice to say that I'd not expect Dave (or you) to take just my word for it, create a poll on a YouTube publisher forum, the answer doesn't even need announcement, it'll smack you right bang between the eyes.

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2018, 05:57:55 am »

He'd never answer that, as that would prove the prudence and logic in your questions, he just wants you to leave it at "it's slow and it sucks" - that suits him better, he always knows better, our David. ;)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2018, 06:00:41 am »

Ask 100 pro YouTube channels what they use, the answer will resound the same across the majority. I am not allowed to share my profession or works due to various contracts, suffice to say that I'd not expect Dave (or you) to take just my word for it, create a poll on a YouTube publisher forum, the answer doesn't even need announcement, it'll smack you right bang between the eyes.

LOL ... your reply is expected, gotcha, no different from -> HERE , a well known troll.  :-DD

And no, people here in this forum don't take swallow other's words easily, although sometimes I did, but only to few respected people that have proven their "credibility", not just because they say so.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf