Author Topic: New AMD Ryzen Threadripper Editing Machine  (Read 35087 times)

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: New AMD Ryzen Threadripper Editing Machine
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2018, 06:02:50 am »
Dave, what is more valuable to you - time or money? If you value your life (most sane people do) then how about you just buy a 5K iMac? Arguments for and against can go on forever, but for a professional YouTuber with time at a premium, I am extremely surprised that you're still fiddling around futzing and schmutzing with tin box computers and asking random internet folk about processors... seriously, you're wasting so much time and energy on this faffing about. Do you want to buy a screwdriver and removed screws with it, or design a mould for the handle, machine it out, choose a resin for the handle... make a steel shaft... shucks man, just buy a Mac and quit wasting your life on this kids play rubbish.

YES, you like and are used to your current NLE - well guess what, we all HAVE to learn new things, so either you wanna edit and publish videos like a pro, or you wanna keep dilberting around with half-baked custom PCs, because you enjoy this nonsense of "sticking it to the man" ("the man" being Apple, most likely, I can hear your words ringing... SCREECHING in my ears, son.) If you "enjoy" building PCs like someone who's just discovered that modules plug together, have at it...or just get a Mac and let Apple take the strain of concerning themselves about what fits where, what driver does what.

PS: When WAS the last time you gave FCPX a fair go - 2009? Come on man, I can't take you seriously unless you open yourself up and try AGAIN, sheesh.

Macs are the de-facto editing machine for professionals.

I assume with your bold statement here, you are a pro video guy for a living ?

Mind share few of your works ? One or two uploads to Youtube to convince us or especially Dave.

Ask 100 pro YouTube channels what they use, the answer will resound the same across the majority. I am not allowed to share my profession or works due to various contracts, suffice to say that I'd not expect Dave (or you) to take just my word for it, create a poll on a YouTube publisher forum, the answer doesn't even need announcement, it'll smack you right bang between the eyes.

LOL ... your reply is expected, gotcha, no different from -> HERE , a well known troll.  :-DD

And no, people here in this forum don't take swallow other's words easily, although sometimes I did, but only to few respected people that have proven their "credibility", not just because they say so.  ;)

Okay then, if that pleases you.

Offline hwti

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:31 am »
Regarding GPU utilization : HW video encoding is mostly done with a specialized IP block (like a DSP), the shaders are only used for preprocessing (and effects if any).
So I assume you can hit the maximum encoding speed with the shaders/memory/PCIe bandwith/... not saturated.
But there could be bottlenecks in the software, in decoding, ...

For 1080p H264, good SW encoders (like x264) should be pretty fast on powerful CPUs, especially with low quality settings (as we are comparing with HW encoders).
But I understand you are limited to what your editing software allows.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2018, 06:17:32 am »
Ask 100 pro YouTube channels what they use, the answer will resound the same across the majority. I am not allowed to share my profession or works due to various contracts, suffice to say that I'd not expect Dave (or you) to take just my word for it, create a poll on a YouTube publisher forum, the answer doesn't even need announcement, it'll smack you right bang between the eyes.
Top you tube personalities are outsourcing their production. The "pro" end of the video world is a little more diverse than you make out:
https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/my-editing-program-is/
Avid and Premier are the dominant NLEs at the moment and platforms are split between Mac and PCs with PCs likely in the majority these days as Apple stopped updating their high performance pro machines.

For most people its not that difficult to transition from one NLE to another, but Dave remains stuck with his inaccurate view of the competition so we can just leave him with it and there is no point trying to convince him as he's biased and not playing at the pro end of town where time is money and the tools can be scaled up.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2018, 06:30:47 am »
Dave, what is more valuable to you - time or money? If you value your life (most sane people do) then how about you just buy a 5K iMac? Arguments for and against can go on forever, but for a professional YouTuber with time at a premium, I am extremely surprised that you're still fiddling around futzing and schmutzing with tin box computers and asking random internet folk about processors... seriously, you're wasting so much time and energy on this faffing about. Do you want to buy a screwdriver and removed screws with it, or design a mould for the handle, machine it out, choose a resin for the handle... make a steel shaft... shucks man, just buy a Mac and quit wasting your life on this kids play rubbish.
YES, you like and are used to your current NLE - well guess what, we all HAVE to learn new things, so either you wanna edit and publish videos like a pro, or you wanna keep dilberting around with half-baked custom PCs, because you enjoy this nonsense of "sticking it to the man" ("the man" being Apple, most likely, I can hear your words ringing... SCREECHING in my ears, son.) If you "enjoy" building PCs like someone who's just discovered that modules plug together, have at it...or just get a Mac and let Apple take the strain of concerning themselves about what fits where, what driver does what.
PS: When WAS the last time you gave FCPX a fair go - 2009? Come on man, I can't take you seriously unless you open yourself up and try AGAIN, sheesh.

Do you even know the level of my editing?
Let me inform you, it's so incredibly basic I could do it with Microsoft Movie maker.
I don't need any fancy professional editing tools.

The absolute worst thing I could do to waste my time and effort for almost zero gain would be to change operating systems.
Everything would change that I would have to learn again from scratch. Not just the video editing tool, but the image tools, the audio tools, the screen capture tools, the live show tools, and the list would go on and on. Not to mention all the other windows tools that I use for design and other stuff.
So you recommend I do that for what end benefit?
Will a Mac and FinalCutPro make my video editing faster and more efficient? No it won't. 
Will it make my rendering faster? Maybe, maybe not, who cares, that's hardly a reason to change everything. In fact doing so just for that would be stupid.

Now, if I did fancy pancy videos with green screens and fancy effects and all sorts of stuff, then maybe a Mac and FC might have some advantages. But other than that you are demonstrably wrong. You clearly know nothing about my video workflow or requirements.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, Howardlong

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:21 am »
For most people its not that difficult to transition from one NLE to another, but Dave remains stuck with his inaccurate view of the competition

Bullshit, I've tried both of those tools and the workflow was harder. Not harder because I didn't know how to use it, hardware because it required me to jump through more hoops to do the basic stuff I need.

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2018, 06:37:07 am »

Let me inform you, it's so incredibly basic I could do it with Microsoft Movie maker.

The absolute worst thing I could do to waste my time and effort for almost zero gain would be to change operating systems.
Everything would change that I would have to learn again from scratch. Not just the video editing tool, but the image tools, the audio tools, the screen capture tools, the live show tools, and the list would go on and on. Not to mention all the other windows tools that I use for design and other stuff.
So you recommend I do that for what end benefit?
Will a Mac and FinalCutPro make my video editing faster and more efficient? No it won't. 
Will it make my rendering faster? Maybe, maybe not, who cares, that's hardly a reason to change everything. In fact doing so just for that would be stupid.

Now, if I did fancy pancy videos with green screens and fancy effects and all sorts of stuff, then maybe a Mac and FC might have some advantages. But other than that you are demonstrably wrong. You clearly know nothing about my video workflow or requirements.

I see now. I'm sorry I was a know it all, I was rather arrogant and made a lot of assumptions; sorry Dave, I sit corrected, and yes, you know what you need to do more than we do, of course.

Thanks for the explanation and not blowing your stack, haha.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2018, 07:30:43 am »
Mr. DJ simply needs the right Win 10 install that's compatible with his rig, maybe a Server 2016/2012/2008R2 trial,

and the latest Vegas Pro 14 and or 15 posted at Magix, or is it Movie Studio he uses?  :-//

and change and update NOTHING if he hits on a winner   :clap:

Better still, clone that working image and return to that when things go bung   :phew:

Mac or Linux is going backwards in this situation   |O

I run with those too occasionally or the dog gets it  :(    but a solid secure Windows rig can leave them both in the dust in a serious multi app shootout  :box:

and yes, how many gamers do any serious gaming on beach ball buddy Mac and Linux ? Video rendering demands aren't that much different.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2018, 09:27:47 am »
According to the rebooting even happening in safe mode, is it basic drivers that are the issue, is it some type of broken OS installation, or could there be some hardware issue? If this was fixed, please ignore.

I also think that once you get used to a workflow (specific software, etc) it is easier not to switch unless you have to for some good reason. System stability should be achievable in any case, even with a very cheap build. Youtube video editing seems to be very demanding from reading some discussion threads (people buy very expensive machines to do it), I assume this is because of higher resolutions (4k) than before, and them using professional cameras that offer things such as large raw files. Maybe there are other factors, but I'm surprised that it sounds like it could be difficult to do decent video editing (except 3D animated stuff of course) on a modest, non-expensive machine. If so, YouTube could be an expensive hobby for some people (especially those who are not earning from it). Then there's BigClive style that also works pretty good.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:29:37 am by kalel »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:57 am »
I also think that once you get used to a workflow (specific software, etc) it is easier not to switch unless you have to for some good reason. System stability should be achievable in any case, even with a very cheap build. Youtube video editing seems to be very demanding from reading some discussion threads (people buy very expensive machines to do it), I assume this is because of higher resolutions (4k) than before, and them using professional cameras that offer things such as large raw files. Maybe there are other factors, but I'm surprised that it sounds like it could be difficult to do decent video editing (except 3D animated stuff of course) on a modest, non-expensive machine.

It is pretty easy on almost any modern machine.
If you shoot your Youtube videos in 4K 150+Mbps then well, you made that choice. Some Youtube content dictates this of course, but most (almost all in reality) Youtube content is perfectly fine with a 28Mbps 1080p30/60 source.

I was on an editing forum years ago when I switched to HD content. People told mew its really wasn't possible to edit 1080p MP4 files directly on the hardware at the time, that was bleeding edge stuff. I used a cheap arse mid range core 2 duo PC and had no problems at all. Clearly they hadn't actually tried it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:32 am »
Okay then, if that pleases you.

Indeed, as the lightly tossed cheap bait is swallowed by your pride perfectly.

Suggesting to reduce further deep embarrassment, stop deleting your own posts everywhere in this forum as most people here don't like it and as moderators too, cause it will make the whole discussion thread looks weird with lots of gaps between discussions.

Just stand up straight, and face it like a real man.

Or ... just abandon your current nick, do a clean and wash, re-do again with new nick and new personality if its unbearable.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2018, 10:56:17 pm »
For most people its not that difficult to transition from one NLE to another, but Dave remains stuck with his inaccurate view of the competition

Bullshit, I've tried both of those tools and the workflow was harder. Not harder because I didn't know how to use it, hardware because it required me to jump through more hoops to do the basic stuff I need.
Well I'm fairly familiar with what you're said and presented on your workflow and previous looks at alternatives, but this jumps out again and again:
If you're not doing anything complex then the major NLEs all work the same, you drop the media into your pool, create clips on the timeline and trim them to size with blades and then compose with ripples/slips/rolls. The shortcuts are largely common for these operations and have very little difference in how they are used. There will be changes in setting up a default project for your desired settings the first time and yes there is some time spent to learn that but once its there you just jump straight in to a perfectly configured project each time you start.

You walked into an Apple store and were shown a single example of a Mac running FC without any guidance and didn't like having to transcode (for obvious reasons) but to extend that to never wishing to look at alternative software is narrow minded. There are workflows editing on one package and exporting the project to render out on another platform (possibly going through parallel audio and colouring work, more editing etc which are not applicable to you) using a common format, some are even command line driven or distributed to reduce render time.

Stick on windows, all the major NLEs support it except FC.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:13 pm »
Did my first major video with Vegas 15 and it was horribly slow!
Jerky preview video, popup boxes taking forever. Never had this issue with V14
Strange...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »
If you're not doing anything complex then the major NLEs all work the same, you drop the media into your pool, create clips on the timeline and trim them to size with blades and then compose with ripples/slips/rolls. The shortcuts are largely common for these operations and have very little difference in how they are used.

In theory, yes, in practice, no.
Take Premiere for example, everything raves about so I tried it for few videos. Because of the way it does modes or whatever, I had to do twice as many clicks to do that same basic task as in Vegas.
I confirmed with Premiere users that's "just the way it works". Well screw that, I'm not going to add hundreds of annoying clicks to my workflow.

You walked into an Apple store and were shown a single example of a Mac running FC without any guidance and didn't like having to transcode (for obvious reasons) but to extend that to never wishing to look at alternative software is narrow minded.

Again, bullshit, I've tried most major video editing packages out there.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2018, 11:52:41 pm »

I tried to find an alternative to MM for my mother, and it was not possible (paid or open source, they were all similar). So I can completely agree here, that program is ridiculously easy to use and intuitive.
Problem is it has issues with newer codecs not working.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2018, 12:04:31 am »
If you're not doing anything complex then the major NLEs all work the same, you drop the media into your pool, create clips on the timeline and trim them to size with blades and then compose with ripples/slips/rolls. The shortcuts are largely common for these operations and have very little difference in how they are used.

In theory, yes, in practice, no.
Take Premiere for example, everything raves about so I tried it for few videos. Because of the way it does modes or whatever, I had to do twice as many clicks to do that same basic task as in Vegas.
I confirmed with Premiere users that's "just the way it works". Well screw that, I'm not going to add hundreds of annoying clicks to my workflow.
Having personally used most of the NLE packages I don't see big differences, but you need to use keyboard shortcuts and not just the mouse UI.

You walked into an Apple store and were shown a single example of a Mac running FC without any guidance and didn't like having to transcode (for obvious reasons) but to extend that to never wishing to look at alternative software is narrow minded.

Again, bullshit, I've tried most major video editing packages out there.
I was taking one example that was a dead end for you without any serious attempt to look at it rationally.

The following users thanked this post: dryjoints

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2018, 12:55:20 am »
If Dave has tried the other editors and finds Vegas is the best fit for his workflow, then Dave is correct - Vegas is the best editor for him. It is nothing to do with arrogance, defensiveness or anything else.

Trying to argue that some other editor is better is like trying to argue that blue is a much better colour then red. It is a personal preference and different people have different preferences.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 01:16:56 am »
If Dave has tried the other editors and finds Vegas is the best fit for his workflow, then Dave is correct - Vegas is the best editor for him. It is nothing to do with arrogance, defensiveness or anything else.

Trying to argue that some other editor is better is like trying to argue that blue is a much better colour then red. It is a personal preference and different people have different preferences.
People don't seem to accept that historic choices also play a large role. If another piece of software is slightly more efficient, but comes at the cost of massive changes in workflow or needing to retrain, it often doesn't pan out.

Even if there is a large difference, it's very possible that you simply cannot afford to make the switch, as it would mean shutting or slowing down operations. That may of may not be feasible, but there are many cases in which even objectively suboptimal choices are actually most optimal when you look at the bigger picture. You can't isolate a process when many moving parts are involved.

Of course, that all assumes there actually is a permanent benefit to making the switch. In many cases it's indeed a matter of preference, or circumstances are so noisy that better or worse can't be reliably established.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 01:41:09 am »
Just as an example on video editor workflow, I was working for a few years with a small Aussie animation studio, and I ended up doing all the video editing.

The whole time I was there, I never once touched a NLE editor. I did all the editing using a Google Docs spreadsheet which was used by the animators for managing the scenes which then generated a script file for Avisynth. I always got perfect editing results without actually editing a thing.

If you want to see some examples, search Youtube for "Big Green Rabbit". We didn't do all the animations you will, but we did the majority. Archaeopteryx is a fun example.

I have never tried to tell anyone that Avisynth is the best NLE editor. In our case, it wiped Premiere, Vegas and the rest off the floor in terms of efficiency. All I had to do was to run a *.bat file - job done!

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline dryjoints

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 01:56:18 am »
Just as an example on video editor workflow, I was working for a few years with a small Aussie animation studio, and I ended up doing all the video editing.

The whole time I was there, I never once touched a NLE editor. I did all the editing using a Google Docs spreadsheet which was used by the animators for managing the scenes which then generated a script file for Avisynth. I always got perfect editing results without actually editing a thing.

If you want to see some examples, search Youtube for "Big Green Rabbit". We didn't do all the animations you will, but we did the majority. Archaeopteryx is a fun example.

I have never tried to tell anyone that Avisynth is the best NLE editor. In our case, it wiped Premiere, Vegas and the rest off the floor in terms of efficiency. All I had to do was to run a *.bat file - job done!

You'll forgive me for pointing out how niche it must be to edit and compose a story in a VISUAL medium, with documents and batch files; can't think why that's not taken off mainstream, it sounds FAR more intuitive than dragging VISUAL media around... LOL

All that "efficiency" may well be true, but negated by what sounds like a rather steep learning curve for a rather... obscure way of editing...  :-\
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:59:27 am by dryjoints »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 02:10:37 am »
You'll forgive me for pointing out how niche it must be to edit and compose a story in a VISUAL medium, with documents and batch files; can't think why that's not taken off mainstream, it sounds FAR more intuitive than dragging VISUAL media around... LOL

All that "efficiency" may well be true, but negated by what sounds like a rather steep learning curve for a rather... obscure way of editing...  :-\
With animation, you know by what's going to be where by definition. You animate the scenes to have an end result, rather than seeing what material you ended up having. It's therefore a matter of assembling the material generated.

I never realised this form of editing existed, but in hindsight it's very obvious to do it this way. Why bother with clicking and dragging and having a resource intensive WYSIWYG interface that potentially introduces all sorts of errors from what's essentially an already well defined script?

Obviously, efficiency is also important. Animations like these aren't cinematic high budget productions. You need to crank out affordable videos at a considerable pace. It no different than building a product down to a price.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:16 am »

With animation, you know by what's going to be where by definition. You animate the scenes to have an end result, rather than seeing what material you ended up having. It's therefore a matter of assembling the material generated.

Absolutely correct. By the time the scenes had to be edited together, all the editing decisions had been made. The soundtrack is not edited - by the time you animate, the soundtrack is set in stone. The animators had of course animated to sync with the soundtrack perfectly already. The Animation Director had decided when a scene starts and stops. Using a NLE editor was an enormous waste of time and a source for errors.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:36 am »
Having personally used most of the NLE packages I don't see big differences, but you need to use keyboard shortcuts and not just the mouse UI.

I know. I was assured by experienced Premiere users that keyboard shortcuts didn't help here, and scripting wouldn't work. It was fundamental in the way Premiere did want I wanted it to do, it was simply more work than Vegas.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:14 am »
WTF is going on!
Now I'm getting 1:37 for the 2min Test render
 |O

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2018, 05:57:22 am »

I tried to find an alternative to MM for my mother, and it was not possible (paid or open source, they were all similar). So I can completely agree here, that program is ridiculously easy to use and intuitive.
Problem is it has issues with newer codecs not working.

NCH VideoPad is a very nice cheap/free (Aussie!) video editor.
I use it occasionally.
Don't use all the time because of a few quirks and a bug in handling my source files (haven't rechecked that recently though)

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2018, 06:20:45 am »
WTF is going on!
Now I'm getting 1:37 for the 2min Test render
 |O
When I was trying it, CPU speeds would go up to 80% and then drop down to 50% for a period. Viewing the GPU activity with the GPU-Z utility was also very erratic. The Sony Codec on the GTX580 was very consistent in terms of CPU and GPU usage, so I suspect there is some very poorly optimised code in the new Magix codecs.

I did see that for NVENC rendering, the Pascal Quadro's can do 9 streams of H.264 1080P high quality frames simultaneously or 21 streams of the Highest quantity of frames. For consumer GPU's, NVENC limits it to just 2 streams. Sounds like nVidia has crippled the non-Quadro Pascal based cards like the GTX 10X0 series.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf