Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1444392 times)

Offline bbogita

• Contributor
  • "Get back in there magic smoke!"
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1600 on: January 03, 2015, 03:27:02 pm »
Hello form Florida. I am currently a high school student studying EE as a hobby. I like micro controllers, HV, super caps, ball bearings and hamfests. (+ more) I have been watching EEVblog for about a year now and decided I'd have a wack at the forums.
KM4GPL (2m Band)

Offline Rogier

« Reply #1601 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »
Hi guys,

My name is Rogier, I live in the Netherlands. I collect Dutch slot machines, and as these are often older than 20 years and have an mpu plus other electronics in them I am slowly educating myself to be able to repair common problems.

I hope to learn here, it is very interesting!
Best regards,
Rogier

Offline thiemo

« Reply #1602 on: January 07, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
Moin! from northern Germany,

first post, and on the "introduce yourself" thread as it should perhaps be.

So, I've started watching the eevblog videos about a month ago, I think after being pointed here by Fran's LVDC analysis cooperation. I started taking electronic equipment (working and non-working) apart at an age of eight or thereabout, and tried to build "stuff" out of the salvaged parts not too much later. Today, being a software developer at daytime, I burn the midnight oil mostly on designing, building, and programming some "intelligent" automation for my home from scratch - both for the fun of it, and because existing solutions alone don't fit my requirements perfectly enough to keep me from rolling my own.
Then there's the occasional repair of failed Things (strangely tending to be other people's synthesizers of some sort), and minor by-projects like debugging and measurement utilities for the big thing (that home automation project). On the backburner, there's a from-scratch pinball machine I started about ten years ago - the case and very little other hardware is waiting in a storage room to be worked upon when time permits. However, since the automation thing started in 2010, I have done nothing on that one.

Anyway, when I'm crashing on the sofa in the evening and just should do some development or testing on "The Project", but feel too tired and comfortable there, one or two of the vblog episodes brings the motivation to go down to the E-lab and have a go - fantastic! So, why not lurk on the forum as well... So far (I have actually joined some days ago), it looks highly interesting, helpful, friendly, and educating. Great!

Cheers,
  thiemo

Offline boston617

« Reply #1603 on: January 09, 2015, 11:53:16 pm »
Hi all. I'm Don from New Hampshire (USA).

Came across the EEVBlog YouTube channel while searching Google for data on a chip out of a pc, and stuck around. I'm a hobbyist/enthusiast with pc building, overhaul, and repair. Got into computers at a young age (about 9 I think) using an old TRS-80. The first computer I got was an IBM Portable XT with an 8088, and it got the old teardown so I could see how it worked.

I have also had a interest in electronic assembly, and after watching a few of Dave's vids on soldering, bought a small kit to try my hand at. The only soldering I had done up to now was repairing large-pinned power inputs and speaker outputs on stereo equipment. The only issue that I had was my iron was too big, and that gave me a good reason to get a new one with multiple tips.  :)
Thanks to Dave, I'm now a believer of "Don't turn it on...tear it apart!".

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: January 19, 2015, 12:46:42 am »
hi! my name is rick (its not, I don't want to reveal my real name) I am 14 years old and I am from Australia. I loooooooooove electronics and especially arduino and induction heaters. I have been interested in electronics for about a year now and I have never been so interested in something before. I hope to become an electrical engineer when I am older but am uncertain which type of engineer because theres so many different types like high voltage, telecommunications, etc. 

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1605 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:21 pm »
Hi I'm Jason, an ex systems programmer for local uni's HTC install now freelancing and recently bitten by the electronics bug.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Ping

• ...let's burn that bridge when we come to it.
« Reply #1606 on: January 25, 2015, 02:42:19 am »
Hi, I'm Jim, technician for a small UK rock band.

Had a 200 in one electronics kit as a kid, the one with the grey front, meter, speaker and little red morse key !...

Been watching the EEVblog for about a year, and it has really fueled the desire to know more about the things I stab a screwdriver into as part of my job, and develop ideas for some new and useful things.

I am here to learn from everybody, become more proficient, and help out if I can.

jx

Offline economist

• Contributor
« Reply #1607 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:30 am »
Just a hobbyist here -- wonderful to learn from all of the knowledge on the forum and in Mr. Jones' blog.

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1608 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:21 am »
Hi Guys,

My name is Matt and I have been an electronics enthusiast since I was very young. Started building Dick Smith kits when I was about 12 and never looked back, Currently into radio, RF, software radio, and hold an advanced HAM license.

This is a  handy forum to have if I need to look something up to get opinions about something or to just generally hang out and see what interesting things people get up to with their hobby..

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:37:20 am by MattSR »

Offline speleodox

« Reply #1609 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:35 am »
Hello all.

I am a veterinary tech and sometime biology student (I'll finish that degree one of these days, honest), and I have been tinkering for as long as I can remember. I am no stranger to soldering and basic electrical circuits, but I never really considered electronics as a hobby until recently. I had a misconception that any kind of electrical engineering began and ended with calculus, and I have never gotten along with integrals. Once I came across EEVblog, I realized that was not the case and I have been gobbling up information since then. So far I am caught up on the entire video archive, and am hammering my way through chapter two of Art of Electronics. I also acquired a cheap 50mhz 2 channel scope and am exploring the intriguing world of squiggly green lines and what they mean. I have to hand it to Dave for creating such a great resource, and I really hope he is doing well working at it full time.

Also, probably not of interest to anyone but Dave, I love the canyoning content. I do something similar here, but our canyons have ceilings and we call them "caves". It's pretty much the same thing except we don't have weather underground, and we seriously geek out on LEDs and batteries. More info at www.caves.org

Josh in Baltimore (charm city) MD

Offline gadjex

« Reply #1610 on: January 26, 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
Hello,

My name is Rob and I am an electronics enthusiast. I work in the IT field and have started to get into micro-controllers and EE the past few years. I have been lurking these forums for a while now and thought I would create and account and say hi.

See you around!

Offline chamod

• Contributor
« Reply #1611 on: January 26, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »
Hi everyone,
I am Chamod  from Sri Lanka. Have been an electronic enthusiast for a long time, and now officially a Electronic And Telecommunication Engineering undergraduate  ;D.
I'm interested in microcontrollers, FPGAs, signal processing (analog and digital) and all electronics in general.

Cheers!

Offline mailerx1

« Reply #1612 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:22 am »
Hi forum members,

Some of my story.....
My 29 year electronics history includes completing the 'Trade' of repairing TV's, Videos and Microwave Ovens (amongst other things) . Owning and running a repair business for a few of those 29 years (A handful of staff at one stage).
For the last few years I have had health issues which forced the sale (giving away) the business.

Of late I have been able get 'back on that horse' at least to some degree and now enjoy the 'ATMega' world.
I have been following Dave's Video's for sometime now. (Thanks Dave)

I am a rather quite person and don't post to forums much, things may change though.

mailerx1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:50:03 pm by mailerx1 »

Offline StereoBucket

« Reply #1613 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:54 pm »
Hello everyone.
Tho I've known of this forum for quite a while,I didn't bother much with registering up until now.
Eh since I was reading through that snake oil thread and having quite some fun reading it I thought,since I am already on forum,that I should register.
I'm an IT tech student,transferred to IT from electronics as IT was more for me but I still like electronics.
They aren't that far away from each other really.

Offline Scoob316

« Reply #1614 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:16 pm »
Greetings! thankks for allowing me to join your community,  my names chris but most people call me scoobs (i prefer scoobs) i'm a 38 year old mechatronics engineer (graduated in 2013) with a mechanical engineering background, i have a good understanding of three and single phase systems, power generation, distribution and connection but basic knowledge of electronics, I have done a few small projects, but i am here to learn more!

Offline downwind27

« Reply #1615 on: January 31, 2015, 06:06:19 pm »
Hello one and all. Downwind27 is a new member here. Born thousands of years ago (1943 actually) and now a retired electronics design engineer. Still pottering with radio, amplifiers, computers - if it's electric I'll design/build/mend it. Based in the UK Midlands, as far from the sea as it's possible to get - but I love sailing.

Offline Sirius631

• Contributor
« Reply #1616 on: January 31, 2015, 09:16:54 pm »
Hi,

I've just joined the forum today, after spending many a well spent afternoon/evening watching past episodes of the EEVLOG on YouTube.

I haven't seriously touched electronics since I was on an Electronic Engineering HND course in the late 1980s. Something just killed the subject for me, which is a pity considering I had been hand-drawing Z80 based computer circuits since I was 14, although I never picked up the nerve to actually plug one together to see if I could develope it into a useable system. I did get to do a bit of assembler programming on the old Amstrad CPC, swapping out bits of my BASIC programs for machine code routines.

We lost my brother last year, and with him being one of Manchester's leading sound engineers, owner of a PA hire company and out-and-out hoarder, he's left me with a whole load of interesting (but broken) gear, including the three-trace Topward oscilloscope which I lent to him. It's a pity that I never found the UV PCB exposure box which I had a 50% share in; I could have made use of that. Fortunately, I've scored a filthy, but working 20MHz dual trace analog scope and a valve signal generator.

I've just finished cataloging my brother's spare parts draws and am astounded by the weird and wonderful chips he had. Along with the ubiquitous TTL and CMOS logic gate, he had so many 8 bit I/O ports that he must have been looking to corner the market ready for when everyone dumped their PCs and Macs and returned to 1980s home computers. Yeah, right! Anyone want 40 8212s? I suspect that they must have come from the interfaces of Amec Recall mixing desks, which had automation before fully digital desks came into being.

Anyway, better leave it there. I suspect I'll be around making daft suggestions and stupid mistakes. If it really is true that
you learn by your mistakes then I should be a genius.  ;D

The name's David, BTW. 47, Automotive Design Engineer, West Midlands, UK.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:22:23 pm by Sirius631 »

Offline FPGA_Peter

« Reply #1617 on: February 01, 2015, 02:09:01 am »
Hi

I'm Peter from Germany. As my username may indicate: I like FPGAs. I'm an Electrical Engineer with industrial background, now teaching some subjects related to Electronics.

Regards

Peter

Offline moriduri

• Contributor
« Reply #1618 on: February 02, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »
Hi, I'm Matteo from Italy.
I'm a Computer Science student at the University of Genoa.

Offline chloe

« Reply #1619 on: February 03, 2015, 04:06:47 am »
hello everyone , i am Chloe, English name follow Smallville Superman series, Clark Kent's friend,  my Chinese name is Shuyue, now 24 years old, a export sales manager in wuhan huaying electric power, making and export electrical testers, hope to know more knowledge about testers in this famous forum. Though my English is not good i will try to follow the forum rules and see if i can discuss in the forum.
Name: Chloe.:)
Email:whhy818@163.com :)
ct pt analyzer, oil BDV tester,circuit breaker analyzer,ttr tester,HV divider,HV generator,hipot tester,relay tester,VLF tester, insulation tester,etc.
:)

Offline Nisho

• Rabtron
« Reply #1620 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:07 am »
Greeting from South Africa.

Been dabbling with electronics since I was a young lad, joined the forum as I enjoy watching Dave's Youtube Videos.

Offline 1llusionist

« Reply #1621 on: February 07, 2015, 05:18:19 am »
Hello i am a canadian linux enthusiast (gentoo) about to jump seriously into electronics and coding.  I have sourced lots parts awaiting to be assembled into circuits to help me learn.

Offline reedjosh

« Reply #1622 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:43 am »
Hello,

I'm a junior at Oregon State University studying EECS. I'm on here to get the practical info that the school doesn't seem to give. Thanks for all of the great info I've skimmed from the forums!

Offline Grigs

« Reply #1623 on: February 09, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »
This is a very informative blog, and has helped me a lot in directing me where to find resources to study. Many thanks to its contributors. I have been a network engineer for about 9 years.

Offline maxinecoless

« Reply #1624 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:32 am »
hai to everyone..I'm maxine from india..I'm here to gain the knowledge and share my knowledge

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf