Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1440987 times)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2010, 09:51:28 am »
Hi, my name is Ben.

I'm 29 and live in Auckland, New Zealand.

I'm Really enjoying the blog episodes.
I've been doing hobby electronics since i was 8.
I have a degree in both computer systems and electrotechnology from UNITEC new zealand.
I've done a few little module design projects for industrial remote control systems. RS232 signal analysis and signal generation. I've also done windows programming in delphi and developed business software for tracking payroll scheduling.

I've done hobby projects such as RGBW LED room lighting, a car computer and am currently working on power monitoring and communication using a method adapted from UPB (universal powerline bus)
while i look for fulltime work.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline JJHamster

« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »
Hi,
Found this blog as a result of the kindle review link Dave posted at the mobileread.com forum.
I’m a research scientist based in the UK who’s dabbled with electronics for many years.
First interest in electricity was, as a kid, being blown across the school swimming pool changing room after touching a faulty light switch. Sadly in those days rather than getting counselling and suing for compensation I just got told off. Moved on to Philips Electronic kits and was soon getting regular shocks investigating microphonic EF86 valves in my old Vox AC10 guitar amp.
Nowadays most of my electronics projects are PC builds and simple repairs (power it up - then hit/poke things ‘till you find the dry solder joint).
Anyway love the blog banter and the forum atmosphere.

Offline Gearbreaker

• Contributor
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2010, 07:18:24 pm »
Hi all....  Chris Collins here.... Connecticut in the USA.  Started when tubes (Yes, the things with lights inside because electrons are afraid to jump in the dark) and moved my up as time went on.  Learned discreet transistor design and then TTL and then Analog LM series.  Now learning embedded C so that I can catch up with the rest of the world.  It's been a long road but I'm not senile yet!  As I always say.... Patience is a virgin.   

Offline osmosis321

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2010, 04:42:11 pm »
Greetings all from Victoria, BC Canada.

I'm a tech school dropout who's delved into just about everything electrical.  I am slowly and steadily modifying my environment, so that I may one day realize my ultimate goal -- to live inside a computer.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: October 03, 2010, 12:25:13 am »
Greetings all from Victoria, BC Canada.

I'm a tech school dropout who's delved into just about everything electrical.  I am slowly and steadily modifying my environment, so that I may one day realize my ultimate goal -- to live inside a computer.

haha funny
-Time

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:34 am »
another reverse osmosis idea :D where scientists and engineers are currently trying to do the other way around.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Zap

« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2010, 10:49:25 am »
Hi all, long time viewer but only just signed up to the forum.

I am in Melbourne Australia, as a student about to complete my Eng. degree in electronics

I wait each week for the video blog and drool over the equipment Dave gets to test and "blow up". I find the tuts the most benefit - love them!

cheers
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:44:46 am by Zap »
Forever learning

Offline bound

« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »
Hi , greetings from Poland

Offline zarthcode

« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:40 pm »
Hello,

My name is Anthony, an engineer in Tulsa, OK.  I've been monitoring this forum for quite awhile, and enjoy the content!

Offline hempel

• Contributor
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2010, 10:52:49 am »
Hi,

I am from Germany and new in the forum. I recently finished my degree in Computer and Communications Engineering (which is computer science mixed with electronics) at the Saarland University. To gain some practical experience my current project is to build a nixie-clock from scratch as you can read in the projects section. It involves programming the MCU, the analog stuff like PSU design, designing the PCB and a nice case as well. 

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2010, 03:55:28 am »
Hi folks,
   I'm Deva and i am from Malaysia. Nice to meet you all.  ;)

Offline hippocampus

« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:12 am »
hi all, I'm an amateur but love electronics, so I come to join with you all to learn  ;D

Offline vaneenbergen

• Contributor
    • ELC lighting
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14:26 am »
Hi

i'm Joost van Eenbergen
R&D manager at ELC lighting bv in the netherlands
We develop lighting control equipment for the entertainment industrie.
mostly using DMX512 (RS-485) and ethernet.
we also supplied the new lighting control infrastructure at the sydney opera house.

development tools i use are
Altium (ECad)
Alibre (MCad)
Rowley Crossworks for ARM7 development
Visual Studio and XCode for PC/mac software

www.elclighting.com
Joost van Eenbergen
ELC lighting bv

Offline MojoJojo

« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »
Hello

I am a freshly graduated EE student living in Philadelphia. I emerged from my chrysalis, ready to spread my wings and cast off my larval engineer form. I studied electronic design and computer architecture, with a strong interest in embedded systems. Unfortunately, with the way the economy is, I had to adapt to the job market a bit. Presently I am working for a Belgian outfit that makes Proton therapy machines. Not the design work I envisioned, but I do get to dabble in high energy physics which is a whole different ball of cool. I still have the mad scientist lab in the basement though, and I want to stay up with developments in electronics design so I've been hitting the internets. I found the EEV blog as a podcast for my new iphone. I love it, and now have started to watch the episodes at home.

Josh

Offline jdtoronto

« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »
Name is John, originally from Melbourne but now in Toronto (last ten years) after spending much of my life wandering the world.

Originally trained at RMIT in 1969/70 (DipCommEng) but since then spent nearly 14 years as a professional student.

Have designed everything from high resolution radar to broadcast transmitters, microwave systems, test equipment and down to sensitive analogue measuring instruments. Currently design control systems for up to 150kV and 100kW.

• Processors: PowerPC, PIC32, Cortex-M3 & M0, Altera NIOS-II
  • EDA: Altium Designer (full suite), Mentor DxDesigner & PADS (under sufferance)
    Cadence PSPICE, LT LTSpice
    Mathcad
    Altera Quartus-II (v7.2, 8.1, 9.1, 10.0 all in use)
    Synapticad timing tools
    Mentor ModelSim simulator
    ALDEC AHDL tool suite
  • Software: Generally C/C++ using GCC based compiler suites and Eclipse-IDE
  • FPGA: Altera Cyclone-II, Cyclone-III and Cyclone-IV, and MAX CPLD's.
    Languages: VHDL

Offline M_D_K

• The Deimos Devlog
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2010, 05:36:41 pm »
Hi, Gavin here.

Never really been good at this whole introduction thing, but I'll give it a shot :)

So, I'm a second year EE student. Before starting EE I was strictly a software guy, coding for PC (Windows, Mac, Linux), consoles (PSP, Dreamcast) and embedded systems (iOS).
I guess I got into EE because I like knowing how electronics work (and I destroyed one too many VCRs as a kid).

So yeah, I'll be lurking. :)

Offline sudha99

« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:13 am »
I work as a quality inspector for a company that makes radiators and air conditioning for vehicles so unfortunately not electronic related really, but I'm gradually tooling up at home and getting into microcontrollers :D

-----------------------------------------
plc training in chennai / plc training in india / plc training  chennai / plc training in chennai india 

Offline andybrown

« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2010, 12:47:31 pm »
Hello, I'm Andy and I'm responsible for the FindChips.com site. I'm here to solicit any feedback that would make our offering more appealing and useful to the electronic components engineer and purchasing professional. Please drop me a line (PM or email - abrown@supplyframe.com) any time.

Offline blackfin76

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »
Hello, I'm Blackfin76. Of course that's not my real name  ;D
I'm an electronics design engineer and life in the Netherlands. Most of my extensive experience is in the field of analog hardware design, power supply design (linear and switch mode) and high speed digital hardware design. I do some embedded software design, but only for testing and debugging, I just don't like software or software doesn't like me  :D

Offline dds

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2010, 03:53:04 pm »
Hi,

While listening to Beatblender station on http://somafm.com site, I've decided to write thing or two about myself ;) I'm Dusan from Serbia, forty years old, but live now in Denmark. I have Datamatician (danish. Datamatiker) short (2,5 years) academic education which is supposed to give you knowledge as Software Developer ;)  I liked electronics since I was 8 years old when I saw projects for Citizen Band (Atom 1,2 ) radio in Croatian "Sam Svoj Majstor" magazine. It sparked my imagination thinking about how cool is chatting with other people on 27 Mhz without license from authorities. ;)  I do enjoy much this forum, and like to read advices and tips from much more experienced members here on board.

And thanks goes to Dave for making all this possible! :)

Offline pb

• Contributor
    • blog
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:44 am »
Hi all,

I get paid by day working in software in the entertainment space.  I've recently been collecting all my various electronics acquisitions over the years in a 'lab' where I can play with things.  I try to play with various things... TTL, old CPUs, FPGAs, microcontrollers, etc...

Hoping to learn from others and blow fewer things up.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2010, 11:02:45 am »
While listening to Beatblender station on http://somafm.com site, I've decided to write thing or two about myself ;)
Just wanted to say, thumbs up for somafm! I've been listening to groovesalad for about four years nearly nonstop. :D

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2010, 03:13:41 am »
26 year old EE student, looking out at the real world. ;)
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
Hi everyone, i'm Simon, a 2nd year EE student in the south of England, UK. Big fan of the blog :D

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
Hello,

My name is Dan, I'm a 35 year electronic engineer with a lot of love for my profession.

I have been a lurker from some time on this board and I've thought about introducing myself and start contributing.

Cheers,
Dan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf