Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1444573 times)

Offline andy371

• Supporter
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2000 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:20 am »
Hi everyone, my name is Andy from Victoria Aus. I have been lurking around the eevblog and forums for a few years now, had an older acc (with no posts) but I lost access to that.
I love electronics, I find myself to be the type of person who jumps from one thing to another all the time and never really sticks to things very well, I consider myself to be alright at anything but great at nothing. I always find myself coming back to electronics though and am constantly fascinated by the theory. Hopefully one day I can be working with electronics for a living.
I currently automate doors for disability access, so I get a small exposure to electronics (mostly just wiring terminals of different modules and relays though, so rather mundane), we hope to soon manufacture our own operator so I plan to learn a lot about DC motors and control circuits and programming of such equipment. This has never been an area of particular interest to me so i'm very vague but I will get there.

I'm not a very sociable person and have little confidence in myself  |O, so I still wont be posting much, but I hope to get there eventually, I love what I see from this community, so much more maturity and respect than almost all forums.

Cheers for reading my intro :-+
Desire to learn, desire to live.

Offline TheAdmiralty

• Contributor
« Reply #2001 on: May 16, 2016, 03:03:59 am »
Evening, everyone!  Just a senior computer engineering student from Erie, PA here - gotta admit that about 80% of all my functional, practical knowledge has come from either here at the EEVBlog or over at ThePostApocalypticInventor... I definitely owe you guys and will be giving back the support (hopefully) come a paycheck this fall.   :-DMM

Been lurking for a couple years and figured it was time to join the fun.  Looking forward to it!

Offline VulcanBB18

• Contributor
« Reply #2002 on: May 16, 2016, 05:46:51 am »
Hi All,

A 20+ year IT industry veteran here. (yes, one of those....gasp!!)  Started out doing Microelectronic engineering at Uni, and ended up working in IT infrastructure - go figure!  (Part of the team looking after a very large email install, SQL install, etc etc)

Anyway, I still have a strong interest in electronics and dabble in it as a hobby.  A strong knowledge of electronic fundamentals gives you an edge a lot of others don't have in IT (even to this day)  :-+

Aside from that, I spend a lot of time listening to music, working on and driving steam trains, and playing with old British cars...no wonder people think I'm mad...  :-DD

cheers,

Jacob

Offline mattxcoon

• Contributor
« Reply #2003 on: May 16, 2016, 10:00:24 am »
Hello, I used to be an electrical engineer. I also used to play the clarinet and speak Russian (not at the same time), but with all of those things one forgets a lot after years of disuse. Now I am a professional archaeologist, and am interested in making some geophysical equipment (I'm betting that I can make a few things that work well enough for limited use for less than the $20k-$30k apiece those things normally cost). Right now I am gathering supplies and starting to build up a modest lab bench, but once I get into design and testing I will have LOTS of questions!

Offline jose347

• Contributor
« Reply #2004 on: May 19, 2016, 04:35:28 pm »
Hi My name is Jose Rivera I am an electrical engineer from puerto rico, I been following Dave's blog and forum from time to time since the greek guy was around. I guess I got tired of dividing 84 by 2 for by searches so i decided to register. anyway thats about it

Offline david-electrical

• Ui3g
« Reply #2005 on: May 23, 2016, 08:56:41 am »
This is David from HongKong,i am learning front-end language in universaty,good at html,css and jq.After i see Dave video,i never thought hardware is so interesting.Hope can learn more from here
all my ideas in my blog

Offline csmithdoteu

• Contributor
« Reply #2006 on: May 23, 2016, 09:48:56 am »
I'm from the UK. Electronics is a hobby for me, particular RF/radio etc. I like building things as minimal as possible.

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

Offline Ali_TR

• CyberSecurity Person turned Maker
« Reply #2007 on: May 23, 2016, 11:59:25 am »
Hi I am from Turkey.
I am working on cyber security and honeypots and have rediscovered my love for electronics. I am interested in FPGA's Mikrocontrollers and how I can combine my professional experience with electronics. Maybe creating honeypots for real devices with real extracted firmware from network enabled devices like printers etc.

Offline arobincaron

• Contributor
« Reply #2008 on: May 24, 2016, 03:24:03 am »
Hello -- Robin here!

I am a computer engineer by education but a professional software developer as my career.  I like to connect with my education background by playing around with micro controllers based projects.

Offline shplatt

• Contributor
« Reply #2009 on: May 26, 2016, 03:36:57 am »
Whelp... I'm finally getting around to posting on this intro thread.  Not sure if anyone reads it, but here goes....  My name is Jared (no, not THAT Jared).  I've been an ASIC design engineer for about 19 years.  I first saw the Whining Aussie (as I and some coworkers affectionately call him) back around video 60 or 70 or so.  Only now getting around to the forum (fewer 70-80 hour weeks these days).  My specialties are logic design (SystemVerilog), verification, and everything from architecture through synthesis/STA.  I've been trying to scratch an analog itch in my spare time (such that it is), but that itch has largely been in that one location... you know the place... between the shoulders, just out of reach of the hands.  Yeah, that place.  But, I feel I'm getting closer.  In the mean time, I'd like to make myself available to fledgling digital artists aspiring to paint with 1s and 0s.  Can't be that hard, right?  We're just a bunch of mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers only capable of counting to one, right?  So hit me up.  Just be patient cuz I still have a day job.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:39:33 am by shplatt »

Offline Firemantronics

« Reply #2010 on: May 27, 2016, 08:40:53 am »
Hi, this is Manuel from Valencia. I used to be electronic engineer but after 15 years working in the fire prevention area i almost forgot everithing. Now i try to rescue my passion with this forum and Dave videos.

Greetings!

Offline rxl

• Personal Site
« Reply #2011 on: May 28, 2016, 05:29:34 am »
Hi all, my name is Ruben.  I'm a software engineer who likes to dabble with electronics at night.  I recently decided to get more serious about this hobby and have set up a permanent work space for my projects.  Now its time for me to learn as much as possible without burning too many things!

Offline NJO

• System Engineer
Re: Hi all!
« Reply #2012 on: May 28, 2016, 06:03:04 am »
I am Norbert, a system engineer and administrator in a german telecommunication company. My interests are FPGA (Spartan), microcontrollers (Propeller), vintage computers and building guitar effects like the 'Schulte compact clone' for my own use as I am playing the guitar, too. I found my way here having bought a MHS-5200 function generator and I hope to find some answers to the questions I already have posted before I found this newbee thread.

Have a nice day,
Norbert
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:20:34 am by NJO »

Offline villas

« Reply #2013 on: May 28, 2016, 02:46:15 pm »
Hi, my name is Bruno and I live in Brazil. I've been reading the forum and watching Dave's videos for some time now and today I decided to register to the forum.
I work with industrial automation (mainly developing applications for PLCs, HMI/SCADA and configuring and debugging all sorts of industrial networks) for 10 years. I have graduated in Computer Science, so I can say I'm kind of a software guy.
I play with micro controllers since before the college but started to study electronics properly when I needed to use some analog stuff some years ago, now electronics is my hobby.

Offline Priestblood

• Contributor
« Reply #2014 on: May 29, 2016, 06:15:00 am »
Hello Everyone and Mr Dave

My name is Wayne and i am a alcoholic, "damm wrong blog lol"

My name is Wayne am 43 and a disabled hobbyist now,I worked in the sheet metal manufacturing before my in-work accident which left me with lots of free time.I live in WestKirby,Wirral, by the glorious River-Mersey.I have always found electronics fascinating since i was about 7yrs old .
i have a few scopes and meters and a draw full of eBay cheap test meters,I like designing and making my own gadgets as we all do.
i am a collector or multi-meters old and new,My weak spot is vintage test gear and bringing them back to life,i have followed eevblog for many years and not sure how long i have been a member on website,but i don't think i have introduce myself so there you go thats me,
My gaming name is priestblood and have used it for ever and if you ever need help then shine a big bat light into the sky and i'll come waddling

best wish to everyone
Wayne

Offline hukuzatuna

• Just learning electronics....
    • Phil's Personal Web Site - Scattershot
« Reply #2015 on: May 30, 2016, 11:00:00 am »
Greetings. I'm Phil Moyer, from Glen Mills, Pennsylvania in the US. I'm professionally the Global Security Architect at the largest accounting/professional services firm in the world. I got started tinkering in electronics about two years ago when I decided to build my own weather station. It grew from a few sensors into three Raspberry Pis, an XBee mesh network, indoor and outdoor sensors, and a MySQL database. My three current "projects" are, first, an autonomous rover with two Raspberry Pis - one for navigation and one for science data collection and control routines - a science platform with nine MQ-series sensors connected to 16-bit ADCs, three cameras, ten ultrasonic hazard avoidance sensors, and a LIDAR system on a pan/tilt mast. Second, a home security system built around ESP8266 modules running NodeMCU Lua and managing events with MQTT. Third, a 128-core parallel processing cluster made out of Adapteva Parallella boards and Raspberry Pi 2s and 3s, which I'm using for development of prototype distributed artificial intelligence algorithms. I tinker a lot with various Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, Pine64, and Adapteva boards, and I'm trying to learn electronics from the ground up.

Offline RatshackGuy95

« Reply #2016 on: May 31, 2016, 04:27:47 am »
Hello.
I'm Josh, I am 20 years old. I am currently going to school to be a hardware/support technician. As of currently I am working for Radioshack (hence the name)which is alright, honestly I miss the way it used to be when I was growing up. I have always loved to tinker and build with my hands, even had a couple of people pay me to build them computers. Couple of years ago I found Dave's Youtube Channel and thought. Holy crap, this guy is goofier than me, but he had some really good information. So I binged watched a few videos and I am really glad I did. Since then I have been a big fan, the blog has definitely helped me improve a few of my techniques (soldering more specifically). Just want to wrap this up by saying thanks to dave and its great being part of a really awesome community.   

Offline Marcus_S

• Contributor
« Reply #2017 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
Hello,

I am a hobbyist living in Franconia in Germany. I learned a little about natural sciences more than 20 years ago, but I don't have any professional background in electronics.

Presumably my major hobby interest is metalworking. But one day last year I bought a second multimeter and both instruments differed in reading. So I found a third multimeter. Now all three instruments differ in reading... And since I like playing around with nice instruments and machines I started to to collect some equipment to learn to measure... And then I found an additional multimeter...

Perhaps I will be able to adjust at least one of them some day. Or will be able to show some of my experiments here.

Marcus

Offline Wobbs

« Reply #2018 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »
Well I'm sort of ancient. I've been designing electronics professionally for 40 years.
Mostly industrial control systems, but occasionally fun stuff (F1 car processor interface)

What got me to log on was that I'd argue that you don't need anything in a lab these days apart from a really good CAD system. The test equipment and soldering iron won't get turned on for weeks.
I design stuff and often never see the hardware. Just send off files and somebody in another country makes it.

eg. A design I've just done has just been installed in 900 locations in Australian shopping malls. I have never seen the hardware.

Offline gofaster

« Reply #2019 on: June 08, 2016, 08:31:31 pm »
Hello all -

I'm a hobbyist, interested in making and repairing gadgets.  Always trying not to let the magic smoke escape.  :)
Looking forward to learning.

Kind regards. 

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2020 on: June 09, 2016, 05:47:08 pm »
Hello all -

I'm a hobbyist, interested in making and repairing gadgets.  Always trying not to let the magic smoke escape.  :)
Looking forward to learning.

Kind regards.

Learning and magic smoke are best friends. If you never let the smoke out, you have not learned much.  :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Duncan

« Reply #2021 on: June 12, 2016, 07:34:33 am »
Hello everybody!
After binging on the YouTube channel for a couple of weeks, thought it best I come over here!
I'm 30 odd and live in Melbourne.Always been into electronics,computers,audio/video/film etc since I was a young lad.Many a Saturday was spent visiting this ex government supply seller(Bernie Mac Service or something like that, used to be on north rd but then moved) buying dirt cheap stuff to fix,break mod etc.The bargains were random and CHEAP. Always had computers, my first being the humble old 64.Despite being into it for many years, still consider myself a novice.Im actually a metal worker by trade, I did spend a few years doing basic electrical work on kitchen appliances many years ago.
These days I mostly play with computers (love my overclocking)  and vintage valve amps, especially the Aussie AWA's being a personal favorite.
Sure I will learn lots and maybe even throw my own 2c around the place as well.

Offline sakhmatd

• Contributor
« Reply #2022 on: June 12, 2016, 06:11:35 pm »
Hi!

I am an EE/CpE student from Russia, currently living and studying in Michigan, US of A.
Did electronics since I was twelve, will continue doing electronics until I am a hundred. If I live that long.  :-\
I generally dabble in embedded and op-amp areas.

Have been watching Dave's videos for, gosh, about four years now, and only now have I decided to make a forum account here. Sometimes I lurk too much.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Offline fourtytwo

« Reply #2023 on: June 15, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »
Hi I am Roger, logged in here to post a warning about Owon scopes but looks like an interesting forum!
Been around to long, seen to much etc etc

Offline xygax

« Reply #2024 on: June 18, 2016, 10:58:17 pm »
Hi.
I'm Steve bit long in the tooth can still remember OC71's but now i design in SMT... been working in power electronics for 30+ years.

S

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf