Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1434178 times)

Offline Geeky907

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2275 on: July 14, 2017, 05:34:29 pm »
Greetings From Alaska USA.

I'm a telecom engineer for a local mineral resources company. who's had a love for electronics and computers since early childhood.
 the beginnings of my professional career started in Radio and Television Broadcast and transmission. then has progressed more towards long-haul technologies and IT
But even-though my professional focus has moved from Mhz to Ghz i still find beauty in resonant cavities and large tetrodes/triodes

- Mike
Geeky907

Offline matpro76

• Contributor
« Reply #2276 on: July 15, 2017, 01:48:46 am »
Hi - I'm matt, my first career was in electronics (RAAF - Electronics Technician) but haven't really touched it since moving into the IT industry back in 2000. Just started to develop an interest again and stumbled across EEVblog on YouTube. Anyway looks like an awesome forum, will no doubt be contributing soon!

Cheers!

Offline biff

« Reply #2277 on: July 17, 2017, 05:28:21 pm »
Hi,
my name is Jim - and I collect old computers.  No - not old clunky Windows 95 machines,  I'm talking about when computers weren't appliances yet, back in the wild and woolly 8 bit days :-)

Back in the early 80s when I was a teenager, I started out with a TRS-80 Model 1, and within a day or so of purchasing it, I had the "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker punched through and it opened up.  I loved the simplicity of the design back then - and still do today.
The majority of the components it contained were simple logic gates - along with the CPU and memory chips of course.
Compared to todays desktop machines - computers like this were just asking you to open them up and modify them.
And if a mod went wrong (whoops - put a chip in backwards) it was a pretty simple job to remove the now fried chip and pick up another one from Radio Shack - or Jameco etc.

My first formal introduction to electronics was in a high school electronics class, and a few years later after deciding college wasn't for me - an electronics trade school. ( I had made the mistake of majoring in business in college)

The high school class was my first introduction to Tektronix Oscilloscopes (were there any other brands back then? ;-) )  and again I ran into them again at the trade school.  During my time at the trade school, I actually brought in an Expansion Interface for the Model 1 that I was building from a kit, (A Micro-Design MDX-2 I believe)  since it wasn't working properly.
The kit included a complete schematic, so armed with my trusty classroom O'scope - I was able to determine I had a bad crystal in a clock generator circuit - which was something I would never have found at home.

It was from that day that I wished for an O'scope - but the price $$$$

The tradeschool launched me into my first real job as field service for Telxon - an obscure small handheld computer maker that retailers would use track barcodes in warehouses etc.  Since they were handheld, the users were constantly dropping them - and me and my co-workers were responsible for doing component level repair of them - and getting them back in service.

Again - I was working with Tecktronix scopes and other gear priced out of my league.

Sadly, 20 years or so ago, I moved on from board repair to programming, but I never lost my love of soldering and then applying power and seeing something work (usually).  I've gone through many computers in my career - but none of them had the same personality or were as much fun to hack on except for maybe the Raspberry Pi's.  (No offense to the Arduino - when I read that Raspberry Pi's could run Linux - I was sold)

Today I'm still trying to keep multiple 8-bit computers alive - and still buy an occasional upgrade for them - upgrades I'd never have dreamed of back in the 80s - like SD Card emulated floppy drives - and an expansion unit for my Model 1 that does everything the original kit I built did - but in about 1/8th the space.  The one item I never bought was an O'scope, and on a whim last week, I was doing a google search on hobbyist scopes - and that lead me to this forum.  I'm currently eyeing a Rigol DS1054Z, which I never heard of till reading about it here.  A couple years ago, I read about the USB Bitscope, but I wanted something more self-contained.

After reading some recommendations for the Rigol on this forum, I did a youtube search looking for some reviews - and found some entertaining (and informative) ones by an Aussie (?) co-incidentally with the Youtube account "EEVblog" ;-)

I'm not there where I'm going to buy just yet - but I'm certainly thinking about the Rigol.
In the meantime, I need to watch this video I stumbled onto:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-training-class-(long)/

It's been ages since I've used a scope, so I can use a refresher.

Since this was supposed to be a short intro, I tried to keep it brief.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:47:05 pm by biff »

Offline Default Username

« Reply #2278 on: July 20, 2017, 06:30:08 am »
Hi, I was a long time lurker  :popcorn: of this forum and I've decided to join in on the fun   ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline nelsonm

• Contributor
    • Something Eloquent
« Reply #2279 on: July 20, 2017, 07:27:16 am »
Hey there folks, Neat to be here! Calling me an electrical engineer would be akin to calling a toddler on a tricycle a biker. In terms of experience and education I'm super newbish but hopefully not too old to learn a trick or two!
~ Nelson

Offline Geerant101

• Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: July 21, 2017, 07:54:33 am »
Hi all, my name is Ben and I am an electronics nerd. It has been my hobby since forever as I love tinkering and drawing schematics. More recently I have been getting more Involved with circuit board design. I am building myself a lab but it is slow going. Always up for a chat about electronics.

Cheers,
Ben

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline FPV

« Reply #2281 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:24 am »
Hi, I am Eric and I have studied Electrical Engineering (B.Sc.) a decade ago. Never found a job as an engineer and landed in finance. Most of my hobbies are flashlights, FPV racers and quadcopters, & electronics. Just on a hobby level though and I also don't have a lab or anything sophisticated.
Have been following eevblog via youtube for years now.

Offline jesanchez

« Reply #2282 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:13 pm »
Hello everyone, very happy to be a member of this community! I am very interested in continuing my journey in the field of electronics as a hobby, and have two partners in crime - my 8 and 11 year old sons. We are continuing to build our electronics lab, and have a few small projects in the works. The ultimate goal is to become more skilled in electronics with our eyes on robotics. Also, my wife want's me to be more proficient in electronics repairs so she can add to my (rather long) honey-do list. I am really looking forward to the collective wisdom of the members.

Cheers!

John

Offline robocoyote

« Reply #2283 on: July 27, 2017, 01:03:03 am »
Hi, name is Rob.  I discovered Dave's video blog and now can't stay away.  I'm 56 and been building kits for 45 years or so.  I've an electronic tech and former IPC solder instructor.  The company I work for builds locomotive simulators and produces software for fuel economy and driving trains.  We don't build many sims anymore so I mostly work with engineering to build prototype hardware for our software.  I'm also an extra class ham and an amateur astronomer.

Offline Rick385

• Learn to Trade testimonials
« Reply #2284 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:37 am »
 A long time lurker says hello! Hope that I will fit in here! I am a newbie when it comes to electronics, so I will be probably asking a lot of stupid questions - sorry for that! ;)

Offline jpep

• Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: July 29, 2017, 08:44:45 am »
Hi there, I work as researcher on the computer security field. Lately I have been doing some hobbyist level electronics and started to design and assemble my own boards so I thought it was time to join the community :)

Offline OMyMyOHellYes

« Reply #2286 on: July 30, 2017, 04:41:59 pm »
Hello everybody from Texas!

Overall tinkerer.  Extra class HAM.  Like playing around with batteries and low voltage DC stuff relating to radios and other household uses.

OMyMyOHellYes

Offline wquade

• William Quade
« Reply #2287 on: July 31, 2017, 02:06:42 am »
Hello everyone, my name is William. I'm a senior Computer Engineering student in Nebraska.

I work as a software developer at a small local company, but have been doing more hardware related stuff there lately. Electronics have been a hobby of mine, and keep running into the EEVblog community when doing research for things, so I thought I'd finally join this forum.

Offline ManuelMcLure

• Contributor
  • WW1FA
« Reply #2288 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm Manuel. I've dabbled in electronics on and off since I was very young, started off with the old Gakken Denshi Block just following the instructions. When I went to college I ended up in an Electronics Engineering major because I couldn't get into Computer Science and unfortunately spun my wheels for many years before dropping out and getting a job in software development.

I've once again started taking an interest in electronics just for fun - I've mostly done microcontroller (some Arduino-based stuff and some pure AVR stuff) but want to get into the analog side.

Other hobbies I am/have been interested in are R/C model aircraft (mostly sailplanes), ham radio, sewing (don't laugh) and computer games. I'm afraid I'm somewhat of a serial hobbyist - I'll do a deep dive into a hobby for a while, then get bored and find another hobby or pick up a previous hobby again.

I'm currently trying to set up my workbench. My list of test equipment is pretty sparse - a couple of homebrew power supplies plus a brand new to me Power Designs TW-4005, a Tektronix 2235 oscilloscope, an HP 974A DMM, one of those eBay special ATMega 328 based component testers and an MHS-5200A signal generator.

Right now my main project is refurbishing the TW-4005 to make sure it's reliable, and I'm also working on an Arduino-based controller for a climate controlled orchid growing box for my wife.

Offline fbublikov

« Reply #2289 on: August 02, 2017, 08:27:48 am »
Hello, my name is Alexey. As a kid I really wanted to tackle electronics, but many years and a CS degree later, I still have not fulfilled my childhood dream. Right now I work as a software developer in the Netherlands. I hope that this forum will help me to get started. It's better later than never, right? :)

Offline onroadgoat

« Reply #2290 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:03 am »
Short time lurker in the sense that I came across many "reviews" via googling various multimeters/scopes, in the past month.

I've found multiple videos from Joe Smith, Dave, etc. on Youtube, all of which had an abundance of information, relevant to my personal needs and uses.

A little about myself, my name's Dan, I'm a married father of a not quite one year old poop factory who refuses to take naps. I hail from Vancouver, Canada, and pretend I know what I'm doing as an automotive service technician for the past 13 years. The fancier and newer cars get, the more crap seems to fail on them.

For hobbies, I enjoy the outdoors whether it be multi day hikes, camping or alpine touring in the winter. If it involves fresh air, it's worth it. I also tinker with Arduino and Raspberry Pi, though, never seem to have any time for anything besides changing diapers anymore...

Probably not the normal Sciences or Engineering background that I feel most on this forum are, though, I always enjoy learning and gaining from others' experiences.

Offline AnthLion

« Reply #2291 on: August 03, 2017, 07:30:17 pm »
Hello, name's Anthony. I live in Texas, USA. Grew up in the 80's so completely grok the nostalgia vibes.

I teach AP Physics in high school where teaching AP Physics C:E&M ignited my nascent interests in electronics. My background is actually in genetics and biophysics, so going from wet work to dry. Loved taking things apart as a kid, but knew this was going to be an expensive hobby if I started down the path. Currently interested in the basics like simple power supplies and amplifiers that easily show the applications of what I teach. Then, move into micro-controller projects to learn how to program and arduino and control electronics.

Offline GerardWassink

• Contributor
  • To measure is to know.
    • My tech stuff
« Reply #2292 on: August 04, 2017, 05:41:56 am »
Hi y'all,

I've been reading (and posting) for a couple of weeks now and I thought it was time to properly introduce myself.

My name is Gerard Wassink (duh)... I was born in the Netherlands and still live there. My father was working in the Royal Dutch Airforce in the "ground radio shop" from the 50's. Working with electronics all his live, up till '98 when he was promoted to glory. This rubbed of on me a bit, in that I've always been interested in technical stuff and electronics as well.

I'm married, we have four children and nine grand-children. After an education in telecommunications and computer techniques, I've been working in IT since late 1979. Up until 2003 as an employee, since then as a free-lancer. From 2012 to 2015 I did a bachelor theology / pastoral care. At present I'm teaching ICT and computer science at an international school and my second job is doing pastoral care in the church we attend.

Besides work the technical hobbies never left. Digital model railroading can be pretty technical and electronic as well. Recently I re-discovered electronics as a hobby.

Well, that's the short version of my story guys...

Kind regards,

Gerard Wassink
Ain't no place like 127.0.0.1 ...

Offline michaelf

« Reply #2293 on: August 07, 2017, 02:57:45 pm »
Hi, I'm Mike.

Software developer in Southern California, about an hour east of LA. I've been here about two years just reading, searching for answers, not posting as I could generally find the answers.

I've built a few audio pieces - 4w/ch amp, phono preamp (bottlehead.com) and have mostly been working with micros the last few years. I'm starting to get some projects going but I don't have a real bench, about a square foot on my computer desk (programming) and the dining table when it's clear (soldering and building).

Projects are some wearable stuff for my wife's steam punk outfits, working on custom bike signals - wired and RF versions, small projects around the house to monitor items (not really into IoT).

I'm originally from a small town in southeast Saskatchewan, Canada but find the winters there a bit too cold  :)

Offline A@ron

• Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: August 26, 2017, 05:51:02 pm »
Hi :)
My name is Aaron (obviously I'm not creative with usernames lol) I mainly tinker with things ranging from classic gaming systems like the Nintendo Entertainment System, to 18650s
, and apple logic board repair

Yeah a fairly eclectic group of things which do seem rather disjointed I admit. Most of it has been brought on by wanting to fix things so they don't wind up in the trash heap and branching out from there on learning things like how to build my own battery pack spot welder

Offline MrTurk

« Reply #2295 on: September 04, 2017, 01:17:50 pm »
I'm Nuri from Turkey. I got my BS and MS degree in Electrical Engineering. I work as hardware engineer. I am designing and programming ARM boards.

Nexus 5 cihaz?mdan Tapatalk kullan?larak gönderildi

Offline jfr

« Reply #2296 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:09 pm »
Mechatronics engineer that does too much.

Worked in heavy equipment off highway, now in on-highway.

Simulink Embedded Coder, Python, dSpace & ETAS HIL testing, CANape.

Joined because when searching for how to program my cheap signal generator someone here had reverse engineered the protocol and I wrote a Python module for it.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #2297 on: September 06, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »
Howdy I'm Sean, I live in central texas.

I am a laser physicist specializing in fiber optics and solid state quantum sensors.  I have a Ph.D. in Physics and Bachelors degrees in Mathematics and Physics. 

My primary hobby is electronics, which helps me with my research.  I am trying to learn more about programmable logic and FPGA's for projects involving automation and machine learning.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:56:00 pm by SMB784 »

Offline CNe7532294

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: September 15, 2017, 11:43:43 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm Lex. I'm currently in Southeast Texas. I have been lurking on these forums for years and viewing Dave's youtube vids for longer without saying much. Up until now I haven't been able to say much partly because I had issues remembering an old account made somewhere in Fall of 2014 and getting a verification email for this new one. That has all been resolved now.

I have also been on other forums that perhaps other members on here might have been on (yahoo groups or group.io for HP/Agilent, R&S, HP85). My day job involves chemistry and working in a Medical lab. My interests are in troubleshooting, figuring how stuff works, and developing methods or devices. Currently electronics is a "hobby" for me but it seems like I take it more seriously than that given that I'm TEA (Test Equipment Addicted), continue to self teach myself on electronics and RF knowledge, and overall invest more of my time on the subject matter. I have family members who are interested in entering this field. I also have an interest in weather.

My test equipment is mainly towards late 80s to early 90s and involves RF/Microwave tech from HP and Tek. Equipment such as HP 8340B, 8673B/D (yes 2 but the B model could be parted out temporarily), 8563E/EC (yes I have 2 but the EC one has a broken RYTHM module, using its parts as a control against suspected boards and modules), 8561B, 5343A, 436A, 438A, 8481/2/5A (3 power sensors), 9816 controller, 9121/2C drives (2 floppy drives), and for newer HP gear E4419B and MSOX3104A w/ all options. For Tek I have a 2467B, TM500 w/ SG503/4 (2 sine wave gens), TM501, PG506A, 2xPS503A, FG501A, and a newer AFG3252 (not C). For Rohde & Schwarz I have a SMHU 58 (really good signal gen.) There are others I forgot to list like the Hakko vacuum gun and soldering iron (forgot model #), Fluke 87V (the most useful thing any kind of electronics person will ever own) or accessories to the equipment above.

Offline superheromario

« Reply #2299 on: September 23, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
Hi buddies I'm from Vietnam and to be honest I suck at electronics and electrical circuits in general. I'm in my 4th year at Hanoi University of Science and Technologies but I hardly know what a transistor is like. Look I'm not kidding I really don't have an idea about it. I've been bad at physics since I was way back in 11th grade but somehow I've gone this too far. So I came here, to introduce myself to you guys, that I've watched a few videos of Dave, and would like to snuck into the world of electronics, and seek for a hand from someone who may, perhaps, help me get used to these electronics things. Get me know what a transistor is, and how to properly use an analog oscilloscope. Thanks so much, in advance. Cheers brothers!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf