Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1433635 times)

Offline CodeDog

• Contributor
  • cave canem
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #375 on: June 24, 2011, 11:37:38 pm »
Hi all, my name is Mark and I'm an EE (graduate of 1984). I grew up in Brisbane, now live in Melbourne and cut my teeth on a steady diet of Electronics Australia and ETI mags in the seventies. First major project was the 'miniscamp' microcomputer in 1978 - an 8-bit micro programmed via toggle switches and had a massive 256 bytes of memory.

How things have changed!

cheers,

Offline Seeker7

• Contributor
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2011, 10:30:52 am »
Hi everyone, I'm Andrew, I'm in New Zealand.  I have no electronics experience whatsoever, other than messing around with old school volt/amp-meters in physics,  a *long* time ago!

I've been pointed to this site from garagejournal.com when asking about multimeters.  I have a car that I want to be able to do work on, and am looking for basic test equipment - multimeter, test light, etc.  I also want to ultimately get a variable power supply, soldering iron, and the rest - I love my toys/tools!

Offline Rousenator

« Reply #377 on: June 26, 2011, 08:00:00 am »
Hello - Time to do alot of reading!

Offline willd1971

• Regular Contributor
    • Labtronix
« Reply #378 on: June 27, 2011, 03:15:22 pm »
Hi I'm William,

I'm a product development professional with more than 10 years experience in electronics, software, mechanics - basically anything that goes into modern technical product development.

Having been frustrated by the lack of easy availability of far east brands in the UK and Europe I recently set up my own business to bring these items to the local market, partly because I want to be able to use good quality low cost equipment in my own lab, and also because I'm sure there's many other people out there like me who would like to see some variety in the local offerings.

William
http://www.labtronix.co.uk

Offline ipman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #379 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:37 am »
Hello all.

I'm an electronic tehnician, but also engineer in industrial automation by training. I am from Romania, living in the capital city Bucharest.
Now I work in telecom, just loosely related to electronics, but ... here we don't have an electronic industry at all.

I started with electronics when I was around 10 years old, when our country was in comunist era. Some time in my life I had to leave alone my hobby, other times I was attracted ... but I collected several tools and meters during the time, which I still own and use with great pleasure.

Nice to meet all of you.
Wife hates words like Fluke, Ersa ...

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #380 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:45 pm »
Hello, i'm Christoffer from Denmark. I work with electronics of interest (havent attended any form of education in the subject.) I've been interested in electronics for about 7 years, stopped some years ago, and now i've started again, more agressively. Im building my lab, and so far i have almost everything i need concerning instruments, tools and components (got very lucky at flea markets). heard about the EEVblog from www.hackaday.com, and am watching the updates regularly. My main interests is in RF electronics and digital/microcontroller stuff.

--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline James

« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2011, 12:48:01 am »
Hi, my name is James, I live in Australia. I grew up with a passion for electronics and pulling things apart to see how they work! This passion soon became the center of my studies where I am currently in my last 13 weeks of Yr12 (school). If all goes well I will be studying electrical and electronics engineering at one of the three universities in Adelaide.

From when I was younger to now my passion for electronics has leant towards electronic design engineering and this is what I would love to do for a career! In a way I have already started with this career as I am the designer behind an agricultural project (which I'm not allowed to say too much about!:( ) working on the hardware and software. This has been a fantastic project so far as it has given me a true insight into digital and analogue, intergrated and embedded electronics systems.

Anyway thats enough about me! I'll go and read the forum,

James
All electronic devices work off smoke...Once the smoke is let out they no longer work!

Offline walcen

• Contributor
« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2011, 02:44:02 am »
Hi every one, I'm Walter and I hope to be able to contribute to the forum rather that just leach. Thanks for your multimeter tute's Dave.
Common scene aint always that common

Offline michaelc

« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2011, 06:51:58 am »
My name is Michael.

I have few few formal qualifications, I am mostly self taught.

I have Been employed in the electronic/radio comms industry for over 22 years.  Been living and breathing electronics, computers, audio, amateur radio, home theatre etc. for as long as I can remember.  I can remember getting electronics kits to build in my early primary school days, I have vivid memories of my Dad building a multimeter from a kit when I was four or five years old. My Dad was big into photography and loved CB radio.

While I was still at high school I designed an interface to connect the physics lab air track optical sensors to my Commodore 64 computer joystick port. I wrote simple programs to quickly show the results of conversation of momentem/collision experiments and also acceleration experiments... this was back in the day when personal computers were very much a novelty and the people in the computer club were nerds!
Towards the end of high school I built a small wheeled robot that was under (wired) control of the C64. I had one of the early West German Commodore 64 computers, the one with the socketed IC's... I don't know how many CIA chips I blew up and it was great to just plug in a new one!  Built a TEC-1 (Talking Electronics Computer magazine) Z80 computer and had some fun with simple low level programming as well.
Always had plenty of Electronics Australia, ETI, Silicon Chip, etc magazines on hand for reading.  I still have issues from the 70's and 80's that I love looking through.

Got involved with amateur radio in the early 90's, about the same time I arrived at my current job. Originally based in install/servicing pro marine electronics (radar, sonar, GPS) back in the days when a GPS receiver was a $9K plus investment and it only worked for a handful of hours in the day. I still have an $18K JRC JLR-4000 GPS receiver around here somewhere! The company I work for has expanded into all kinds of things... radio comms (private and commercial broadcast), satellite comms, industrial electronic design and repair, industrial and commercial electrical... one day I might be reparing an old Philips FM320 UHF CB, the next I might be on a private plane heading off to a faraway port to work on a fishing boat. My work used to take me from the depths of the bilge to the top of the mast.

More recently I have been getting into digital amateur radio and using the internet to link radio systems. Love the D-Star system, had an IRLP node operational for around 10 years, built my own GMSK digital radio repeater system, I have fun with APRS, the house is full of Clipsal C-Bus home automation gear, my Toyota Hilux is crammed full of amatur radio equipment, I love movies and my home theatre with 130" 2.37:1 cinemascope screen and 1.33x anamorphic projection systems gives me a "just like the movies" experience at home.  I've set up a community WiFi system using an abandoned 2.3GHz MDS transmit antenna on a 45m tower, back in the days before widespread ADSL it was a haven for the local gaming community. I've set up short and long range WiFi links, experimented with radio telemetry systems... decoded telemetry from high altitude balloons, I've spoken to Dr. Andy Thomas via amateur radio when he was orbiting the earth on the MIR space station.

I love tech stuff... all tech... computers, networks, embedded systems, wireless comms, encryption, voice codecs, circuit design, programming  and the list goes on... But I've already taken up too much room.

Michael
Port Lincoln

Offline lukestuts

« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2011, 04:52:50 pm »
Hello EEVblog forum, my name is Luke Stutters and I watch Dave's videos on Youtube.

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2011, 03:23:41 am »
Ello from UK...but I'm currently on an oil rig in the middle of the North Sea. ???

I'm a ROV pilot/Technician currently working in the Oil Ind.
I'm a qualified in Electrical Engineering to HNC level and have worked in the Commercial and Domestic Electrical trade for 22 years.
Found this forum through Daves YouTube bloggs which allways have a way of inspiring me to go further into the electronic side of work (I mostly deal with HV three phase electrics).

Keep up the Bloggs Dave and to everyone who contributes to this forum, WELL DONE. 8)

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:50 pm »
Hey,

My name is Tim. I'm 18 years old, from New Jersey, USA. Just started with electronics about a year and a half ago, but I'm really getting into it. Glad I can be a part of this.

Offline eejim

« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2011, 12:06:51 am »
Hi, I'm Jim from NJ.  I have an EE degree but work in Power distribution, not electronics.  However, electronics is my  hobby.  I worked on a few robots in college, which was alot of fun, but that was 6 years ago.  I am finishing my basement and am creating a space where I can work on electronics.

I look forward to chatting with and learning from others in this environment.

Offline sean87

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2011, 08:54:13 am »
Hi all,

I am Sean almost 24 from Netherlands. At the moment I am a last year student of electrical engineering. But I regret why I didn't pay attention to practical side of my studies till a while ago which I happen to see Dave's videos. I am a pretty good student in theroy subjects (Passed all subjects with top grades :P) But when it comes to practice, eveb making a LED to blink I S.ck at it!!! Anyway Since I got to know EEVBLOG videos I really got motivated to do some serious stuff...specially the Dave video about job interview. And when I saw his video about setting up a electronics lab, I spent all my savings on buying some serious stuff (Although I have access to very high end stuff at university...I just wanted to look more profetional in the eyes of friends, family etc..). Hope I can use them in a good way!

I am also doing programming (I can do C and C# programming waaaay much better than my electronic power).

Anyway, glad to be here to learn and get some experience from elder engineers and guys!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:56:17 am by sean87 »
EMBEDONIX - Embedded Systems, Linux and good stuff!

Offline terkng

« Reply #389 on: July 25, 2011, 04:40:32 am »
Hi everyone,

I am TK from Singapore. I am in software development all these while (> 10 years) though I had taken some electronics courses during my university days. I have always been fiddling around with tinkering with electronic toys and repairing stuff around the house. Thanks to Dave and EEVblog, I am enjoying myself getting back into electronics for the past few months and moving forward, I am planning to embark on some small projects during my spare time.

Looking forward to spending more time on the EEVblog forums  ;D

Cheers,
tk

Offline topcat

• Contributor
« Reply #390 on: July 31, 2011, 01:45:31 pm »
Hi All,
I’m TopCat. I studied electrical engineering but never worked in the field. Lately I have become interested again in microcontrollers, radio, and the blog of course.

Offline Flapjackbatter

• Metric time-standard NOW !
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2011, 12:29:26 pm »
Hi, Flapjackbatter here.
From Norway.
I am not educated in electronics. It is a hobby.
I am mostly into analogue electronics, but have started to fiddle around with microcontrollers. (Who hasn't these days. : |

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »
I'm from Brazil, not really into design but I like electronics a lot. I'm into computer and notebook mainboard repair/maintenance with 10 years of experience in the field.

Offline donbrenrik

« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
Hello from central MA area.  I am a retired Computer Field service Engineer age 75.  Worked for Burroughs; RCA; Data General and Fenwal Safety Systems.  Trying to stay active in electronics; presently rebuilding  a
6 digit B7971 Nixie Clock using MM5314N IC.  Bought these Nixie tubes from Meshna years ago.  Looking forward to visiting the site often.  Bye for now.

Offline marcosgildavid

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
I'm from Portugal, i work as a Developer, DBA and SysAdmin. I'm trying to finish an Electrotechnical engineering degree on the side and I'm getting into electronics in order to  broaden my knowledge :D

LinkedIN: http://pt.linkedin.com/in/marcosdavid

Offline hodx

« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2011, 11:23:43 pm »
It took me a while , but i'm here now....mostly due to Dave Jones...finally a man who tells it like it is....My name is Herman and i', from Maryland in the USA...been tinkering with electronics since tubes(valves)....now microcontrollers are my new toys,next i want to get into animatronics and hack toys...Hey Dave more FPGA stuff

Offline Glocal

• Contributor
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2011, 10:17:11 am »
Helloooo everyone! 
I am me from Sweden and EE strudent and I love the blog.

Offline TT89

« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2011, 05:27:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm an EE student from Finland, Turku. Age 22, next week beginning my second year on 4 years study to Bachelor of Engineering. After a half year of studying it seems that electronics has become so big part of me that I can call it a hobby too. Love building stuff, experimenting and really enjoy the physics aspect of electronics and electricity. Love the blog, with it's information and engineering way of humour.  ;D
My keen interests are electric vehicles, radio controlled planes and computers (esp. on the hardware side).

Regards,

TT89

Offline SuperJeep

• Contributor
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:05 am »
Hi everyone, I'm an electronics engineering student from Canada (ehy) and discovered this forum through the eevblog. I signed up to hopefully learn something about building cool hobby circuits and learn about the world of micro controllers since I have zero experience with them....yet!

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2011, 08:05:58 am »
Greeting to everyone
My name is Maurizio.  I live in Italy , and I am a self-employed engineer.
I make a living by manufacturing intercom systems for the entertainment industry, an designing OEM commercial audio devices.
Sometimes I write technical documentation and user and maintenance manuals for customer Companies,  both in Italian and English (and sometime French).
I'm a Chartered Engineer and also a Certified Environmental Acoustic technician, so I do environmental and workplace noise assessments, and produce the relevant documentation.
I have an university degree in Nuclear Engineering, but I've always worked in electronics, both audio and industrial (temperature, pressure and humidity measurement and control).
I also have a good experience in overseas installation work, having worked in  Africa for many months installing sound systems in public places, churches and mosquees.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:11:44 am by ciccio »
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf