Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1434275 times)

jim_griff and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline savageautomate

• Supporter
  • Technology Entrepreneur, Consultant, Enthusiast
    • Savage Home Automation (Blog)
Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2325 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:13 pm »
Hello,  I've been lurking on the forums for a while and siphoning what knowledge I can from this highly technical and experienced group.  So I thought it was about time to engage more and start posting back.  My name is Robert Savage and I have been in the tech industry for over 20 years.  I started in AV where I learned all about sound, lighting, projection, etc and then moved into IT where I learned all about networking and computer systems architecture and like Dave, I served as the Y2K coordinator for a large company.  Shortly after the big non-event on Y2K, I moved into software engineering and development where I have spent most of my career.

I really enjoy developing software and designing solutions from end to end.  In recent years I have started moving into electronics and micro-controllers as a hobby.  I started gathering some test equipment and began watching the EEVBlog videos to try and learn how to use some of the gear and learn from the tear down videos.  I have to admit .. its somewhat of an addiction now.  When I was only into software, my office was very clean and neat .. and now my office looks like I'm a hoarder of all things electronic: components, wire scraps, ICs, micro-controllers, test equipment, meters, power supplies, probes, prototype boards, etc ..   I guess the first step is admitting I have a problem  ;)

I also started the open source project Pi4J (http://pi4j.com/) which is a Java binding library for working with lower level interfaces such as SPI, I2C, GPIO, UART on a Raspberry Pi (and similar SBCs). 

I have a blog, although I have not been too active on it recently.  Too many hobbies I guess.
http://www.savagehomeautomation.com/

Regards, Robert
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:26:13 pm by savageautomate »

Offline KG4MXV

« Reply #2326 on: November 15, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »
Hi all. 
I am just a old fart that likes to tinker with electronics since I was 7. Over 4decades ago. 
have been watching Daves vids for quite some time now and decided to join the forum. 

Use to work for General Electric as a Field Service Engineer covering power switch gear, Automatic transfer switches and uninterruptible power supples.  Working from low voltage to medium voltage 5kv.
Taking a bit of a break after the bastards sacked me after being out on medical leave. Via a text msg. (my manager was a complete ass.) 
Anyway after spending 10+ years doing 99% travel I have decided to take some time off and get my shop in order, reconnect with my local Amateur radio groups and the Red Cross.  And get my house back in good nik.  Started lots of projects over the years and never had the time to finish. 
Also get my 60' tower sorted out.  After 10 years of neglect all the cables are flapping in the wind.  Get my weather station operational.
Got lots of junk to sort out.  And looking forward to going to my local Ham-fest that I haven't been to in 8 years. 
When I get my shop sorted I will post some picts.

The following users thanked this post: marcus_cdn

Offline Ones

« Reply #2327 on: November 16, 2017, 06:23:17 am »
Hi all,

It's good to be here.My name is Ones, a Chinese boy. I used to be a electronic engineer for few years,but right now,I'm as a embedded software engineer for more than five years. What I focus on are ADI and TI's DSP firmware development and performance optimization. Ofcourse, I also have some project experience by using other MCUs, such as the STM32 series,AVR mega series and so on.
I hope we can exchange all kinds of ideas here.

Cheers,
Ones

Offline Podrowski

« Reply #2328 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:40 am »
Hello,

I am Sander from Holland. I'm an relatively advanced electronics hobbyist (I like to think so at least). While I do have a formal electronics degree, i've unfortunately never worked in the field, my daily job involves software engineering. Recently i've had a renewed interest in this hobby, partly caused by Dave's videos. My main interest is audio equipment, most notably actively controlled loudspeakers (motion feedback) and home automation systems.

Regards,
Sander
Wait... What?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2329 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:18 am »
Hi all,I'm Terry!

I'm just learning electronics. I found electronics after having to quit working due to illness. Multiple sclerosis.

Sooooo....I'm now teaching myself electronics. It makes for some funny/interesting results! My instructor (ME!) has an official diagnosis of "brain damage" and knows absolutely nothing about electronics. Lots of sparks and smoke and my wife shouting "WTF"!

I love it!!  8)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2330 on: November 17, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »
Hello

Russ and I’m a new member. Presently studying Mechatronics in College. Also waiting for UPS to deliver my EEVBLOG-Bryman multimeter today.  ;). I hope it lives up to the reviews.

Russ

Offline adam.sage

« Reply #2331 on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »
Hello everybody!  I've been watching Dave on YouTube for quite some time and figured it time to come over to the check out the forums.  After about 2 years I think it's time to purchase the Rigol DS1054Z I've been watching and I'm looking forward to learning all about it here.

Offline runeazn

« Reply #2332 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:51 am »
Heya everyone,

Current I am studying Bsc. Electrical Engineering in Eindhoven University of technology! 21 years old. I love doing things myself and making things work. However, not until recently have I really made my own circuits or electronics. Since I really enjoy this, I went to watch youtube videos about it. I started with GreatScott and now I regularly watch EEVblog videos. I knew of this channel couple years ago, but not until recently did I start to appreciate Dave's long videos. Before I thought of them as lengthy and boring, while actually it is full of information where Dave beautifully explains the thought process of a experienced engineer (himself).

I hope I will have a nice time here!

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2333 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:15 pm »
Hi all,
Layabout and retired messer of all things electrickery....
My main hobbies and interests are Electronics, Radio Electronics, Computing, programming of embedded microprocessors.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:08:35 pm by Freelander »

Offline ADent

« Reply #2334 on: November 23, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »
Hello!

I'am an embedded SW developer, 41 years old (it sounds old when written  :( ) and lives in Sweden.
Have been playing around with electronics for about 10 years now.
Did learn quite a lot of basic electronics at school 22 years ago. Thanks to my current work I got hooked on LeCroy oscilloscopes. :)

Made a Sokoban game for my old Sony Ericsson T610 a long time ago, and it was incredibly fun seeing my own code
running on a small device. One of my first hobby project was at university making a 230V relaybox controlled by my Amiga 4000 - which ran a web-server so lights could be controlled via WAP from an early wap-enabled phone.

Actually had a board manufactured and sold: http://electronics.chroma.se/rpisbv3.php
Currently working on, and almost done with, a tranceiver for making old C64/Amiga joysticks wireless, based on the NRF24L01+. Pretty neat if I may say so myself :) http://electronics.chroma.se/wlj.php

Other than that i have an old house to take care of, two kids and an -84 SAAB 99. Wish I had more time for fun stuff but it's all sleep - work - eat - feed the dishwasher - repeat. (Projects above move at very slow pace).

Edit: Also my nick of course stands for Arthur Dent which is also of course not my real name.

Best regards
Mikael
Strength through pointer arithmetic

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2335 on: November 24, 2017, 02:40:19 am »

Edit: Also my nick of course stands for Arthur Dent which is also of course not my real name.

Best regards
Mikael
Greetings. I hope you brought your towel ? 😀

I think Dave is planning a new vid on an infinite improbability drive soon..................

Offline CharlieO21

« Reply #2336 on: November 28, 2017, 02:43:11 pm »
Hello,

I'm Charlie a mechatronics engineer, I'm from Guadalajara, México. I'm 24 years old.
Currently working as hardware engineer on a transportation company.

Offline jgalak

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
« Reply #2337 on: November 28, 2017, 07:54:13 pm »
Hey there.  Juliean, a hobbyist from the NYC area, US.  Been playing with electronics since I was a kid, got into Arduino/RPi a few years ago, mostly just doodling around.  Got my ham license a few years ago (KQ2Z).  Currently poking at some VHF/UHF radio projects for High Altitude Ballon and maybe, some day, cubesats (hey, one can dream, right?).

My undergrad degree is in Computer Science from a top engineering school, but I've been in a non-technical industry for the last 20 years.  Still do a fair amount of hobby programming, for various personal projects, but hardly a pro these days.  Complete novice on the hardware side.
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline Russ

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eevblog/Brymen 235 DMM
« Reply #2338 on: November 29, 2017, 05:28:32 am »
   I was sure that they were on Amazon, now I cannot locate them. Does anyone have the Amazon link to the packet of fuses that Dave sells for this DMM?

Thanks
Russ

Offline Andrew Morton

« Reply #2339 on: November 29, 2017, 09:39:14 pm »
Hi all, I'm Andrew and I had no idea I couldn't change my username after registering. So you can all laugh at my feeble comments on EE.SE and know it's the same person  :)

So, I see a few people announce themselves here and say they'd like a Rigol DS1054Z. Well, I did it the other way round and thought I could let people know that the Rigol EU site https://www.rigol.eu/clearance/ has three two refurb ones for €299 euros + tax + €15 shipping as of today (see post date).

When it arrives, hopefully I'll be able to get a clue about why my simple two-transistor oscillator doesn't, and quantify how I fixed an I2C sensor with a bypass capacitor. I'm just casually learning about/messing around with electronics - if I was serious I suppose I'd actually do the exercises in TAofE, lol.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #2340 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:42 pm »
Hi... not my first post, but here is my introduction...
I am Christos, live in North Greece in a small village 2 years now. Used to live in Athens.
I studied electronics in technical school and went another year for computer repair class.
After many years of various jobs, mostly outside my study fields I ended up unemployed and with plenty of free time.
I repair computers and electronic devices here in the village but its not much.
So, after some time, i got interested in lithium batteries and other stuff and i have started to build a few projects based on ideas/solutions i saw are needed around here... you can see my projects here https://easyeda.com/catech75

Offline Andrew Morton

« Reply #2341 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
   I was sure that they were on Amazon, now I cannot locate them. Does anyone have the Amazon link to the packet of fuses that Dave sells for this DMM?

Thanks
Russ
Maybe you meant to look on ebay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multimeter-HRC-Fuse-Pack-EEVblog-Brymen-FLUKE-FLU11-/222458807451?
hash=item33cb94049b:g:iJgAAOSw4CFY3z13
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:08:30 am by Andrew Morton »

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #2342 on: December 01, 2017, 01:05:27 am »
Hi!

I'm John - originally from the UK but now living in the US (since 1997).

For my PhD in the'80s, I invented a laser light scattering method (Phase Analysis Light Scattering) for measuring the surface electrical charge on nanoparticles dispersed in liquids. Six major instrument manufacturers sell their versions and I have yet to get 'one red cent'. After 24 years working for the man in big pharma developing drug products, I left earlier this year to set about something I have wanted to do for years - set up my own instrument shop and build a cutting edge version of my original work. In part, this is because of the insane advances in electronics and drop in costs.

Although I'm good at knowing what I need a box of electronics to do, I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to designing/making fundamental circuits. Case in point - I need to measure current flowing through an electrochemical cell - without forking out $1500 for a used Keithley picoammeter. Imagine my delight that I found the uCurrent through this blog! It has saved me who knows how many weeks of frustration trying to do it myself. Also, because of this blog, I just bought a Rigol DS1104Z. It arrived yesterday and it is already proving to be worth every penny (the FFT function is wonderful). At this point, I'm at an advanced stage of proof-of-concept and basically cobbling things together to get the overall behavior I need. I've  got some amazingly inexpensive but excellent Chinese products off eBay including a 4-channel 200MHz DDS for $99. When I did my PhD, the equivalent functionality cost nearly $7K in '80s money.

John.

Offline manoj

« Reply #2343 on: December 04, 2017, 06:16:42 pm »
Hi,
I am Manoj from India. I run a small company working in Solar EPC. Have worked for 17 years in HR, Finance & Marketing domains. Trying to learn Electronics for my new Project.
Regards to all Members.
Manoj

Offline RobBarter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
« Reply #2344 on: December 04, 2017, 10:30:48 pm »
Hi,
Rob from England.  Self employed software developer by trade, currently writing embedded software for a medical 7MV linear accelerator.  Ham Radio when not earning money but fortunately I like the paid work as well as the not paid :)   Recently bought a Siglent spectrum analyser to help with the 23cm build....wow, what a piece of kit! :)  Now looking to upgrade the Rigol scope.   There's something about the smell of solder in the morning...
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

Offline env23

« Reply #2345 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:42 am »
Hi everyone.

John from Philippines. Doing mostly hobby stuff on HW level and professional on FW level with POS terminals and stuff like that.

Offline nicalitz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2346 on: December 12, 2017, 06:57:16 pm »
Hi all, Nico from South Africa! Not a lot of us it would seem. Studied electronic engineering undergrad, post graduate studies in satellite mission design and control systems. Working for an engineering company that develops small satellite subsystems. Can't believe it took me this long to discover this forum.

Offline jouko.perkkio

« Reply #2347 on: December 12, 2017, 07:30:22 pm »
Hi, Jouko from Finland.

I've been working with embedded systems for > 10 years for now. My work consists of both software and hardware design. My passion is in combining these two; not just making a nice piece of hardware but to make it sing too! My semi-professional hobby is within drag racing and developing a data acquisition system for the very harsh conditions.. We have currently a well working, accurate and fast data acquisition system with web & SD-card interface to bring the data to PC for analysis. Great forum, somehow never got here before.

Offline Decoman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2348 on: December 12, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »
I am above 40, and only now do I find an interest in basic electronics. :)

I think I've managed to finally absorb some basic knowledge like: Volts=I*R and Watts=V*A

When I was a kid, like 7 y.o. or something like that, my father bought a test board or something, however I think his mistake was to assume that lighting up a damn LED off a 9V battery and playing with resistors would be that damn exciting to me. :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:46:10 pm by Decoman »

Offline shawty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2349 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:11 pm »
Hi,

I'm Shawty and I'm an.... OH OOP's sorry wrong forum... (Cough)     :-)

Now where was I, oh yes....

Hi All, new forum user here.

I'M "Peter 'Shawty' Shaw" (I more often use my Nick than my real name...) I'm a proud card carrying original 1980's UK Back Bedroom developer/Hacker type, and started with computers at around the age of 7 back in the Late 1970's

so yes I'm a bit of a Old B*****d now, not super old, but definitely heading in that general direction :-)

I'm mostly a Software Developer by Trade, but I like to think of my self as an all round Technologist, Iv'e forgotten more over the years than Iv'e learned, and among the things I know and do, I'm a fully experienced and Trained GSM Mobile communications engineer and ex UK Military radio tech.

These days, I own Digital Solutions Computer Software UK, not a huge company by any stretch of the imagination, but it keeps me out of mischeaf.

I'm a brit, yup that's obvious, but I'm one of those Nutty breeds of Brit known as a Geordie , well Geordie'ish, North Durham (I think the term is Pitmatic) to be precise, but unless your a fellow Brit and understand the Nuances of this wonderful land, Geordie usually suffices :-)

I have no problems with tearing stuff apart (First thing I ever took apart was my Grandads brand new TV set when I was just 3 yr old!), and I frequently believe in recycling used electronics for parts, rather than sending them to landfill.

And that's pretty much it for a forum intro, but there is more....   and if you want to know, then a quick google for "shawtyds", should find my blog at a minimum and a load of other stuff :-)

Shawty

PS: Yes, I am this nuts in real life.  If any of you have ever been on the official Raspberry PI forum, you've likely come across me on there too.
Meh....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf