Author Topic: New Member, Please introduce yourself  (Read 1439945 times)

Offline EvilDNA127

Re: New Member, Please introduce yourself
« Reply #2350 on: December 14, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »
Hi, Dan from Nebraska in the Untied States. 

I once attempted EE education and burned out on that due to multiple factors, and now I'm getting back into tinkering with electronics.  Set up a bench and got some components to mess with.  Hopefully I'll poke my head in here every now and again. :D

Offline Dbhrs

« Reply #2351 on: December 14, 2017, 08:17:13 pm »
Hi Darcy here.

Was introduced to electronics just a bit in my electrician course. I am just now starting to tinker with electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline huskee

« Reply #2352 on: December 17, 2017, 12:21:14 pm »
Hi, my name is Xenofon and I'm from Greece. I'm 15 and trying to balance my time between electronics, computing, programming and school.

Offline tboy32

• Supporter
« Reply #2353 on: December 18, 2017, 08:03:48 am »
Hey all. I'm a long time forum lurker and I hope to make time to post a little more here. I've got an EE degree from about a decade ago but never got into the field professionally. I guess I felt my college classes were too "academic" with not nearly enough actual design/hands on time, which is what I like doing.

I really enjoy working on personal hobby projects with anything involving electronics or computers. I'm a self taught programmer and know just enough to make things work the way I want, but not enough to be comfortable letting anyone else see the mess I've written. I've learned KiCad and have designed probably a few dozen smallish boards using that suite over the past several years. I enjoy the whole design process from concept to schematic design to component selection to footprint design to board layout to assembly, software development and testing.

Offline Azu

« Reply #2354 on: December 18, 2017, 11:56:21 pm »
Greetings everyone, My name is Angus, been lurking for a while now and I finally decided to register. I'm your typical enthusiast in all parts, cars, electronics, computers and now in audio.  ;D

Offline marcus_cdn

• Think it right the first time
« Reply #2355 on: December 19, 2017, 02:20:58 am »
I, I'm Marc from Montreal, Canada.

I studied electronics in college (80's); did not finish.  Had a chance to build OC-48 shelf processor cards for Nortel & went back to evening classes, hoping to be a technician; but, the company went belly up...  did not finish.  I'm now a quality inspector in the automotive industry.

I saw Dave's videos & my interest in electronics came back; my garage lab is almost done!  I'm interested in building test gear & guitar effects; I build my own computers & I use Ubuntu (16.04).

My best advice for those who start in electronics:  NEVER QUIT! & keep learning.

See you around!   :-+
Knowledge is like vitamin C, you should have some everyday!

Offline Kaziq

• Supporter
« Reply #2356 on: December 21, 2017, 09:01:53 am »
Hi! (not a new member really, but only now I found this topic :))

I'm electronics engineer with some 10 years in the industry, and I loved Dave's channel the first time I saw it :).

I live in Poland, and I'm thinking about starting my own YT electronics channel in Polish. I think I can't manage one video per week minimum, so postponing for now :)

I specialize in microcontrollers (AVR and STM32 currently). I avoid analog stuff - too hard to understand for my digital mind :D.

Offline Ridocar

• inventor of the XAND and XNOT gate
« Reply #2357 on: December 21, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »
Hi, Ricardo here. I drive a truck for a living, but long time ago i did a study for electric engineer. The high-power-electric motors in factories, PLC-programming, that kind of stuff. I haven't been in electronics for a long time, but since i've discovered the EEVBlog on Youtube, it's attracting me again. I remember most of the stuff from school, but sometimes i'm still learning new things.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:36:49 pm by Ridocar »
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -Voltaire

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2358 on: December 28, 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
Hi I'm Kevin, and I live between Baltimore MD and Washington DC in the USA. I got my first computer in 1977 when my Dad bought a TRS-80, and from there I decided technology was going to be my career. I graduated in EE in 1987, but I quickly ended up working in the financial industry working on this new thing called the Internet, which kind of worked out.

After spending a couple of decades a few levels above the bare metal electrons and holes, a friend of mine introduced me to the Arduino, which opened to me the world of microcontrollers. Their simplicity and low-level understandability really reminds me of the old 8088 based PCs, compared to the massively complex beasts we use today, that no one person can have a complete, technically deep understanding of.  While I don't use Arduinos today, I would never underestimate the good they have done introducing new people to our hobby.

Offline HumbleDeer

• Contributor
« Reply #2359 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:48 am »
Hi!  :)

I'm Anna. I grew up and I reside in Flanders, Belgium. I'm.. roughly 16 years old.

I had interest in electronics from a young age, but rarely had access to tools nor knowledge to do anything marginally useful. I ended up destroying more than I repaired.  :palm:
Now I spend my life building cheap eBay Eardrum-Killer kits, repairing solid-state and the odd tube amplifier, preamplifiers and.. well.. Twiddling knobs on heaps of other audio gear!  :-/O

A little casual info about myself:
I'm a self-proclaimed rastafarian, but I stay away from the ganja and.. other herbs. That does not mean being with my friends doesn't give me the odd calm feeling.  8)
I love to think of things I want to make, but know I'll never make.
I spend 35 minutes each day combing all 3 feet of my hair. From root to tip.  ::)

I learned from Dave from a very young age too. Wasn't I.. 11, 12? Anyhow. I have a weird brain. I miss some chemicals. Why did you need to know that? Well... It means I never 'complete' my language learning period. Long story short: All the English vibes and accent-y things I have in me can be traced back to David Jones. The one and only!
If you ever happen to speak to me in person, over the internet, over the phone (unlikely) or over anything else, you'll definitely notice that tough aussie-accent. I like it, but I don't sound very feminine with the accent compared with.. "f*ed up body chemistry".

Well, enough said. If you want to know more neat-o facts, feel free to message me ;).

Cheers,
Anna.

Offline yorgabr

« Reply #2360 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:53 pm »
Hi, everyone!

I'm Marcio, from Brazil. I'm an electronics engineer from '80s. I've been working with telco, automation, signal processing, embedded systems, electronics warfare, power conversion, etc, since then.

Best regards and wishes for this new year!

Offline witnessmenow

• Contributor
  • Making Youtube Videos on ESP8266
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2361 on: January 08, 2018, 11:39:54 am »
My name is Brian and I'm from Ireland. Recently married and have a 16 month old Daughter.

Technically I am Electronic and Computer engineer by qualification, but I really wouldn't count myself as one, after college I went into software development and have only really started getting back into hobby electronics in the last 18 months or so.

I have a YT channel where I mainly work with the ESP8266, I think it is incredible what a $2 can do! My videos are mainly either project videos or information on libraries and tools.

I won't be able to contribute too much from an electronics perspective on the forum (hopefully will be able to learn loads though), but hopefully I might be able to help people from a software side of things!

My name made a brief appearance on the EEVblog before, in Dave's ESp8266 video it was my YouTube API library that he used (which eventually became part of his NixieTube counter), silly as it might be I was actually really proud of this!

Offline nealfox

• Contributor
« Reply #2362 on: January 13, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
Hi, my name is Neal, I am a EE that retired in 2006 to live aboard a sailboat, cruising up and down the East coast.  I’ve now stop sailing and moved back on land in Florida.  I have been away from electronics since retirement.  Now that I am back on land I want to start catching back up, so I am setting up a small lab on a very limited budget. 
In my 40+ year career I specialized in digital and ASIC design.  Thus, I never had the opportunity to do analog design.  So, my emphasis will be analog design plus playing with Arduino etc.  I have The Art of Electronics, 3rd edition plus the companion book Learning The Art of Electronics and my intend is to do all the labs in the book.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2363 on: January 15, 2018, 10:33:25 am »
I joined the forum about a week ago and have made a few posts but hadn't seen this thread.

Basically I've been very interested in computers since I was about 12 and my brother got a VIC20 for Christmas, "to help with his education"......  When he wasn't playing games on it I started to try some programming but without much help didn't get far.  I then got an Amstrad CPC464 followed by a 6128 whilst also programming on the BBC model B at school and friends.  I got into assembly language and wrote an add on utility ROM for the CPC whilst still at school.  My first taste of electronics was at school but the teacher was rubbish and it literally became a lesson of trying to keep up writing down a mass of stuff he wrote on the board! 

Anyway once I went to college I took A level electronic systems and in the early 90s was a component level Acorn service engineer on the BBC micro series and more so the Archimedes.

Since then I've taught myself more and developed a stop motion photography interface with modules for sound, beam breaking, solenoid control, water droplet etc which sold a good few units.

Now it's a hobby and my interests are micro controllers, vintage computers, repairs, home automation and general "playing".....

Offline blaze1024

« Reply #2364 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
Good morning, Lots of good information and talented people here. I've been reading and watching Daves videos for a long time and thought I would finally register and say hello.

Best Regards
Dan

Offline xtjacob

« Reply #2365 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:47 pm »
Hi all,
I'm xtjacob. I work as an FPGA engineering and have worked on a lot of various personal projects/school projects over the years. My favorite project was the chicken cannon that I designed an wireless electrical system for in college. Currently I'm working on launching my second high altitude balloon with a bunch of sensors and a 900 MHz radio link. It's fun stuff.

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot

Offline acecase

« Reply #2366 on: January 21, 2018, 06:16:46 pm »
My name is Harley.

I'm not an electronics professional, or student. Just like to tinker. Lately I have been playing around with a lot more Arduino kit piece type stuff. I have a love/hate going with how inexpensive these things are getting. On one hand it feels like it devalues all the time and money I spent getting setup for programming MCs years ago, but on the other hand it's dirt cheap and fast to grab something like an Arduino Nano and blast out prototypes and test ideas. And then there's all the little sensor boards and displays and such for next to no money! <- I almost let that become a rant.

I'm a typical Jack of all trades. I learn things as I need them; and then forget them most times before I need them again. Lately I've been playing with a lot of home security (most recently an RF connected remote "person" detector), and since I recently got my HAM license I've been looking at a lot of RF stuff (holy ****, there's a lot more to that field than I would have guessed. A whole new world.)

Offline slugg

« Reply #2367 on: January 26, 2018, 01:21:48 am »
Hey folks,

I like to mess around with electronics from time to time. I've watched quite a few of the EEVBlog videos on youtube and finally wound up over here.

Slugg

Offline zorkmids

• Contributor
« Reply #2368 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:28 pm »
Hey everyone, I've been putting together kits and dabbling in fixing electronics since I was young and RadioShack was still selling the good stuff. Now I work in IT and have been messing around with arduinos, raspberry pi and putting esp8266 modules in everything.

But I notice I have no idea what BigClive is talking about when he looks at the insides of a LED lamp and declares "that's a capacitive dropper" so I'm hoping to teach myself a little more of the theory and practice of these electronics.

Offline stian

• Contributor
« Reply #2369 on: February 02, 2018, 05:31:14 am »
Hello.

My name is Stian and i am from Norway.
I have been following Dave's channel on youtube for some time now. Its simply the best EE channel on YT.
I have had electronics as a hobby for a few years now.
Watching Daves YT videos has been a great way to expand my knowledge and he has many great tips "for young players".

Keep up the awsome work Dave :)

Offline me.rishabh12

• Contributor
    • innovating future-lets create something new
« Reply #2370 on: February 05, 2018, 03:11:59 pm »
Hi i m Rishabh from India i love electronics design currently im working in industrial IOT 
its a great place to learn electronics and discuss something with like minded people

Offline TurboSam

• Contributor
« Reply #2371 on: February 16, 2018, 03:05:51 am »
Greetings.  My name is (duh!) Sam, and I am a retired old f*rt in Seattle.

In my younger (glory) years, I was an electronics nerd (think: Heathkit), and my first project was from the May 1966 issue of Popular Electronics.  Not being a great speller, when good Sister Mary asked in fourth grade what we wanted to be when we grew up, I couldn't spell "engineer" (but I could spell "lawyer"), and the proverbial die was then cast.  I ended up as the legal/business development executive in a OEM hardware manufacturing company, handling M&A as well as licensing deals with all the big boys (think:  big blue, michael, and carly). 

Now retired, I've gone back to being a engineering nerd, and am exploring and testing custom circuits for use in IR occupancy detection, home automation, networks, and general electronics. 

I tend to be afflicted by "paralysis by analysis" and can spend hours/days researching projects I'm interested in, circuits I want to build, and other rabbit holes.  A variant of OCD, I'm sure. 

I have a Tek 2247A that I bought several years ago I am now finally plumbing the depths of it and look forward to doing more with it.

I've been active on a couple of home automation forums for years, and as I scale the learning curve here, expect to do the same.   :-+

Stay tuned...

TS

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:33:19 pm by TurboSam »
Paralysis by analysis.

Offline iaso

• Contributor
« Reply #2372 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:25 am »
Hi! My name is Seb, a long long time viewer on the EEVBLog Youtube channel and a listener to the Amp hour since around episode 100.

Professionally I don't have any linkage to electronics engineering or basically anything that would have a direct or indirect link to the field. I fill my days as a Quality Manager in a large (15K employee) tier 1 automotive supplier, a typical clipboard warrior of sorts.

Privately I was always very interested, hence my viewership. Recently I decided to take the plunge to be more practical. I bought a soldering kit, a whole box of basic "projects" from aliexpress and a bunch of goodies. Messing these up doesn't really matter financially so I figured it's a great way to learn. And yes, I've let the smoke out plenty of times, reading resistor values is not always easy ;))

Learning the works mostly online whenever the need for a certain topic comes up and I eager to start designing basic things myself soon.

Hope that I can be a valuable member of this community.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:28:06 am by iaso »

Offline mesodumb

« Reply #2373 on: February 16, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
HI. The names Raymond. Ive been a browsing as a guest for years. Normally, too lazy to complete a registration form. However, I finally filled out the form and hit the reg button...plus all the "are you a real person hurdles". Currently, reside in Georgia, USA. I like to tinker and repair. Sometime Im a professional, but mostly I like to jump in and break stuff til it works. :-DD

Recently Ive been upgrading equipment for bench and mostly used the site for sniffing out the dirt on manufacturers. However, I figured it was time to add some feedback into the mix. Once my new pace desolder station arrives, Ill be starting with that.

Offline kamran

« Reply #2374 on: February 16, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »
Hello,

My name is Sam. I have been lurking for a while but never had the courage to post.

In my younger days, I was a network engineer. These days I moonlight as a cybersecurity analyst and dabble with arduino and raspberry Pi.  I have started to assemble a lab starting with Hakko 888 and a BK power supply. Am also very interested in home automation and am playing with HA and SmartThings.

Hope to learn more from the community and contribute.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf