Author Topic: New Old Stock  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Roeland_RTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New Old Stock
« on: September 12, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »
The last local electronics shop in Utrecht (NL) is closing. Today I bought all 74xx and 4xxxx series ttl and cmos logic. Don't know what to do with them yet.
Also the shop's clock was for sale. Have to make some room for it above my workbench.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:43:49 pm by Roeland_R »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: New Old Stock
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 07:45:09 pm »
Love the clock.  I wouldn't mind having one myself.  It would probably annoy the stuffing out of Mrs GreyWoolfe having that in my office.  It would rank right up there with my 24 hour analog clock.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 07:52:13 pm »
Nice clock but hate the way the month and date is displayed. No leading zeros. Just enough diodes to show 1x for the month and 1x, 2x and 3x for the date.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:39:30 pm »
The last local electronics shop in Utrecht (NL) is closing. Today I bought all 74xx and 4xxxx series ttl and cmos logic. Don't know what to do with them yet.

Ouch. A LOT of 4000-series CMOS (and TTL) chips dumped randomly in a big plastic Leyden Jar.
Getting them out of there without any (more) static damage, into some bulk anti-static container for starters, is an interesting problem. How to equalize the charge on that pile, with ambient (including you), gently without it all passing via any single IC pins?  One thing NOT to do, is just reach in and pick out ICs.

I think I'd:
1. Find a metal (unpainted) container big enough for the pile. Or something alfoil-lined.
2. Lightly fine mist tap-water spray that pile and the inside walls of their plastic container. (Not distilled water. You want it slightly conductive.)
3. Place palm flat on an inside wall of that container, spray around it.
4. Wait a few moments, with palm still in place.
5. Pick up that container (still with hand in contact with inside water film), touch the metal container with other hand, then tip the lot into the metal container.
6. Gently warm the metal container for a while to dry off the water.

Then there's the issue of how you're going to sort them out, and store compactly and static-safe for the long term.

I use small manilla envelopes, holding ICs stacked in 'sticks' and foil-wrapped so the envelopes stay relatively flat. Write IC numbers on the top edge of the envelopes, find or make bulk 'drawers' to stack the envelopes in rows, by part number order. It's very compact and flexible. Also so easy to flip through to find IC numbers, that it's hardly worth making any kind of electronic stock list. Do you have 4xxx? Just look.

Edit to add: My condolences on the shop closure. I know that feeling. For years I've been very happy to have a great supplier of quality nuts and bolts (including stainless steel) very close to my place. Now they are under new management. Got rid of almost all the old friendly, knowledgeable staff,  and the place is going bad. Losing slow stock lines (ie rare hard-to-find sizes), imposed minimum order limit, no more cash sales, etc. All the corporate bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:50:34 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf