Author Topic: no more center negative DC-plugs!  (Read 15243 times)

Offline fusionimageTopic starter

• Contributor
no more center negative DC-plugs!
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:03 am »
just started this fanpage ;D
https://www.facebook.com/No-more-center-negative-DC-plugs-108361362856194/

just for fun and not for commecial use, of course

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
Re: no more center negative DC-plugs!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 02:02:09 am »
Sorry I'm a noob, but what's wrong with centre negative DC plugs?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:02:59 am »
nothing; i simply don't like them, as a lot of others :)

they work well, but most of the dc-plugs are center +

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:55 am »
I just like knowing that the outside is negative so that it is less likely to short out when being pulled out with some shielding nearby.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:06:49 am »
yep, usually you connect the outer side to gnd

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:19:15 am »
I just like knowing that the outside is negative so that it is less likely to short out when being pulled out with some shielding nearby.

Well, suppose positive is ground? Then the outside should be positive.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:57 am »
Sorry I'm a noob, but what's wrong with centre negative DC plugs?

a) Yes 
b) makes  sense to those that express a preference.
b.1) (Plus witha center positive tucked away, you can't very easily short a +3 and a +20 together by the two outer contact touching each other accidentally (or on purpose).

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:26:21 am »

Well, suppose positive is ground? Then the outside should be positive.

sounds sparky.... bzzt
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 02:41:25 am »
b) makes  sense to those that express a preference.

But it's nice to see why people have preferences for things...  ;D

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 03:12:49 am »
I had two experiences with polarity reversal recently.

One is a (cheap. beyond cheap) laser cutter I decided to tear down and see why the fan wasn't working. I was probing around and things sure looked odd... turns out, the "ground" pour was the positive voltage and strapped to the chasis. The connector for the fan had the polarity reversed. it is clear the board was designed for negative ground and somehow bodged to be a positive ground from the weird wires on it and the silkscreen having caps polarity reversed from how they were installed... why or how that was a good idea and cost effective I have no idea. they had a lot of extra PNP power transistors to use up?

Another was more dangerous jumping my friends car battery. I open it up, nice big red terminal and black terminal on the battery, I start hooking up the jumpers and get this uneasy feeling, that red terminal sure looks sort of like it connects to the chasis and the black one sure looks like it feeds into a fuse box... pulled out my fluke 101 (pure coincidence I had it with me. the thing is so tiny I forget i have it) and wouldn't you know it, red terminal was negative, black was positive. That could have been a disaster and them some.

now in my best J walter weatherman voice:
"And that's why we don't have center negative dc plugs."

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:11:35 am »

I think making DC plugs with negative center is a crime, too.

I have a box with all kinds of adapters, I cut all connectors off from the inverted ones. 
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 08:42:55 am »

I think making DC plugs with negative center is a crime, too.

+1
Except when a reverse polarity protection diode worth a few cents is installed.  |O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 08:43:52 am »
There is a special place in hell for people who chose center negative dc plugs.
That place also exists for those adapters that are sized in a way they take up 3 sockets of the strip. Or that they cover the socket above by hanging over a few mm.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:29 pm »
So what about all those Fluke scope meters? Can I have few of them? :D
I am available for freelance work.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:50:00 pm »
I had two experiences with polarity reversal recently.

One is a (cheap. beyond cheap) laser cutter I decided to tear down and see why the fan wasn't working. I was probing around and things sure looked odd... turns out, the "ground" pour was the positive voltage and strapped to the chasis. The connector for the fan had the polarity reversed. it is clear the board was designed for negative ground and somehow bodged to be a positive ground from the weird wires on it and the silkscreen having caps polarity reversed from how they were installed... why or how that was a good idea and cost effective I have no idea. they had a lot of extra PNP power transistors to use up?

Another was more dangerous jumping my friends car battery. I open it up, nice big red terminal and black terminal on the battery, I start hooking up the jumpers and get this uneasy feeling, that red terminal sure looks sort of like it connects to the chasis and the black one sure looks like it feeds into a fuse box... pulled out my fluke 101 (pure coincidence I had it with me. the thing is so tiny I forget i have it) and wouldn't you know it, red terminal was negative, black was positive. That could have been a disaster and them some.

now in my best J walter weatherman voice:
"And that's why we don't have center negative dc plugs."

I had a Vauxhall combo van like that the ground terminal was brown and the live was black. The vehicle was of course negative chassis, I never really noticed the colours were reversed until my father borrowed the van to jump start his car, the next thing I heard was a loud bang as the battery blew up.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 02:58:48 pm »
I had a Vauxhall combo van like that the ground terminal was brown and the live was black. The vehicle was of course negative chassis, I never really noticed the colours were reversed until my father borrowed the van to jump start his car, the next thing I heard was a loud bang as the battery blew up.

I had a Vauxhall Corsa and I was trying the same thing, except I noticed the hissing sound before anything melted.

In fact the whole wiring loom was the same combination of weird colours (and labelled in French)

I'm never buying another one  >:(

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »
Center negative DC plugs are used because that way the switched element is +ve not gnd. Don't want to be switching ground references when you are using audio or music gear, so they make the center pin negative.

I always thought it made perfect sense.

Offline Mashpriborintorg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 06:32:25 pm »
The worst I have seen: two modems from the same brand, one in 28.8, the other in 33.6. Same case design, same power supply design and voltage... but one with center negative. Magic smoke was released when I mismatched the power supplies...  |O

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 07:15:02 pm »
I love the way Nintendo manufactured their NES console (at least American version, don't know about European). Adapter with just transformer inside (same thing was in my old Zoltrix modem from what I remember), rectifier was in the console itself. You could connect anything to it, AC, DC, negative everywhere you wanted, and if the voltage is high enough to power the 7805 and low enough to not melt it it works a treat. Sadly that's not longer a viable options since all that switched mode power supply rubbish;)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:36 pm »
DC into a transformer is not a treat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 08:08:03 pm »
Transformer was in the wall wart? In the unit there is your usual barrel input, followed by bridge rectifier.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:12:52 pm by karoru »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 08:18:15 pm »
Oh of course. ...yes. SMPS has made things far smaller, lighter, and more efficient. All that at the expense of complexity. Shade tree mechanics step aside......

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 08:18:29 pm »
Center negative DC plugs are used because that way the switched element is +ve not gnd. Don't want to be switching ground references when you are using audio or music gear, so they make the center pin negative.

That and some other reasons specifically having to do with how effects pedals with batteries and DC jacks are made.

I really don't see the big deal. Transformer output is isolated, so what's the difference where that voltage is sitting? It can't do anything unless it find a path back to the transformer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:20:24 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:46 pm »
Oh of course. ...yes. SMPS has made things far smaller, lighter, and more efficient. All that at the expense of complexity. Shade tree mechanics step aside......
Come on, we're in a topic about reverse polarity on wall wart plugs, and I've pointed out that some old day design has its merits, that's all, I should probably change "SMPS rubbish" to "SMPS black magic" to be more tongue-in-cheek:)

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »
Come on, we're in a topic about reverse polarity on wall wart plugs, and I've pointed out that some old day design has its merits, that's all, I should probably change "SMPS rubbish" to "SMPS black magic" to be more tongue-in-cheek:)

I think you took my post in the wrong way. The intention was to agree with you and point out the down side of the advancement of SMPS.

On the topic, I can't stand center negative DC plugs. In fact, I think the barrel DC plugs are a design past it's day. I only use them when forced and never put them in my designs.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 01:52:45 am »
A classic example where standards should have been introduced for DC connector polarity, such as IEC, AS or UL. The world stuffed up big time on DC connectors... it has been a free-for-all and it should not have been. I have a relative who blew up an expensive hand held game after he plugged a reverse polarity DC plug into the machine. It had no reverse polarity protection diode.

Another stuff-up... English, EU and Australian mains plugs. We all use 220V-240, so whey the heck do we have different plugs?

And another bigger stuff-up... Japan 100V, US 110V and Australia 240V. Lower voltage is safer form an electrocution perspective, but more dangerous with house fires (ie: higher current).

And the biggest stuff-up of all... Driving on the left in the UK, HK, NZ and Australia; and other countries drive on the right.

Standards might inhibit creativity, but they do make a lot of sense.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 01:55:28 am »

I think that karoru was pointing out that the Nintendo box just had a bridge rectifier,followed by a linear regulator.
Because of this, the actual box could run from low voltage ac or dc.

SMPS supplies have been around for a long time--I fixed a lot of them back in the 1980s & '90s.
A good Oscilloscope,a DMM,& most importantly,a schematic helps a "shade tree mechanic" quite a bit! ;D

The reason modern units are difficult to fix is lack of the schematic.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:01 am »
A classic example where standards should have been introduced for DC connector polarity, such as IEC, AS or UL. The world stuffed up big time on DC connectors... it has been a free-for-all and it should not have been. I have a relative who blew up an expensive hand held game after he plugged a reverse polarity DC plug into the machine. It had no reverse polarity protection diode.

Another stuff-up... English, EU and Australian mains plugs. We all use 220V-240, so whey the heck do we have different plugs?

And another bigger stuff-up... Japan 100V, US 110V and Australia 240V. Lower voltage is safer form an electrocution perspective, but more dangerous with house fires (ie: higher current).

And the biggest stuff-up of all... Driving on the left in the UK, HK, NZ and Australia; and other countries drive on the right.

Oz & UK think their styles of plug are better designed than  others---with some justification.
230/240v allows the use of higher power appliances with thinner conductors.
100v/110v exists for complex historical reasons.

Driving on the left?---try India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Malaysia,Thailand,Indonesia,Singapore,South Africa,Kenya,Japan,& many others.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 04:32:01 am »
230/240v allows the use of higher power appliances with thinner conductors.

Lower transmission losses allowing fewer but bigger pole top transformers.. there are a few advantages to higher mains voltages.

The strangest thing I've ever had to get used to was the frequency. I played a couple of gigs in the US years ago and I could not adjust to the 60Hz hum from the guitar amp. It just sounded wrong!

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:37 am »

There is a barrel jack standard, somewhat belatedly, all the plugs you see with the yellow tips (supossedly) follow the EIAJ standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIAJ_connector

There was also an attempt at a standardized international 220V plug. It has not exactly taken off.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:17 am »
In Audio gear (guitar pedals etc...) Center Negative is a (pretty well) accepted standard.

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 06:48:32 am »
In Audio gear (guitar pedals etc...) Center Negative is a (pretty well) accepted standard.

+1

I'm a bass player. All of my effects pedals have center negative barrels.

P.S. I know a lot of guitar players will say 'bass players don't need effects', but I like having an overdrive and an octave pedal, and a few others available.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 04:53:01 pm »
A new 15v/3A switcher i bought , and me not testing , costed me a FEI-5680A Rubidium.
People making Center negative psu's should be put away for a loooonnng time  :-- :--

Or maybe i shouldn't assume , but it was my first encounter with such a devlish device.

/Bingo

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »

What's the relation between where a wire is sitting, and a wire that is switched?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 05:21:00 pm »

What's the relation between where a wire is sitting, and a wire that is switched?

All of the commonly available DC jacks switch the barrel, not the center pin, and we use that switch to disconnect battery +. Also, in effects pedals anyway, the way the battery is switched on is a stereo jack is used, and battery ground goes to the inner tip of the stereo jack. When you plug in a mono 1/4" plug, it connects the inner tip to the sleeve and makes the ground. So all of this adds up to generally having center negative plugs. That's how Boss started doing it decades ago, and now it's pretty much THE standard everyone uses unless you absolutely have to do something else.

Like I said before, though, in practice, it's a non issue. The transformer isolates the plug, so it's actually quite difficult to cause a problem unless you're really trying. Even power supplies with multiple outputs are generally isolated these days, all but the cheapest solutions, but even if you short to the case with non-isolated multiple outputs, even the cheap power supplies generally have some sort of crowbar protection and just shut off.

Anyhow, that's the history of why it's the way it is. 30 years ago, someone came up with a solution that worked very well with commonly available parts, and everyone quickly standardized on that solution. There was actually a little fight for a while. I still have a couple of old effects here that are expecting something like 1/8" phono plug for power. Now THAT was easy to short out if it was just laying around, and it disappeared right quick.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:26:43 pm by John Coloccia »

Offline jwm_

• Frequent Contributor
    • Not A Number
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 01:48:36 am »

Anyhow, that's the history of why it's the way it is. 30 years ago, someone came up with a solution that worked very well with commonly available parts, and everyone quickly standardized on that solution. There was actually a little fight for a while. I still have a couple of old effects here that are expecting something like 1/8" phono plug for power. Now THAT was easy to short out if it was just laying around, and it disappeared right quick.

I have seen a fair number of effects that take 9V AC and some DC ones with bridge rectifiers, presumably for backwards compatibility with the AC ones. I wonder if it is common to just have a bridge rectifier in them in general. Who has a collection of 9V effects they want to take a poll of.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 02:57:20 am »

I have seen a fair number of effects that take 9V AC and some DC ones with bridge rectifiers, presumably for backwards compatibility with the AC ones. I wonder if it is common to just have a bridge rectifier in them in general. Who has a collection of 9V effects they want to take a poll of.

There's no need to take a poll. I can tell you that there are many, many, many thousands of different effects pedals out there, and the VAST majority take a standard Boss 9V adapter. Some Line6 effects take 9V AC. There were a handful that used a rectifier and take anything pretty much anything. 9VDC, however, is nearly universal otherwise.

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 05:09:20 am »

There's no need to take a poll. I can tell you that there are many, many, many thousands of different effects pedals out there, and the VAST majority take a standard Boss 9V adapter. Some Line6 effects take 9V AC. There were a handful that used a rectifier and take anything pretty much anything. 9VDC, however, is nearly universal otherwise.

I don't have a lot of effects, but:
All 12 of my Boss pedals are center-negative. (Duh)
Line 6 Bass Pod: 9VAC
A couple "boutique" pedals: all center-negative.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 08:00:53 am »

All of the commonly available DC jacks switch the barrel, not the center pin, and we use that switch to disconnect battery +. Also, in effects pedals anyway, the way the battery is switched on is a stereo jack is used, and battery ground goes to the inner tip of the stereo jack. When you plug in a mono 1/4" plug, it connects the inner tip to the sleeve and makes the ground. So all of this adds up to generally having center negative plugs. That's how Boss started doing it decades ago, and now it's pretty much THE standard everyone uses unless you absolutely have to do something else....
Sorry, I still don't understand why jacks are related to switch.
Do you mean the center makes contact before the outside does, when plugging in?

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 10:46:19 am »

All of the commonly available DC jacks switch the barrel, not the center pin, and we use that switch to disconnect battery +. Also, in effects pedals anyway, the way the battery is switched on is a stereo jack is used, and battery ground goes to the inner tip of the stereo jack. When you plug in a mono 1/4" plug, it connects the inner tip to the sleeve and makes the ground. So all of this adds up to generally having center negative plugs. That's how Boss started doing it decades ago, and now it's pretty much THE standard everyone uses unless you absolutely have to do something else....
Sorry, I still don't understand why jacks are related to switch.
Do you mean the center makes contact before the outside does, when plugging in?

The DC jacks have 3 terminals....call them 1, 2 and 3. 1 goes to the pin. 2 goes to the barrel. 3 goes to 2. When you plug in a DC jack, the connection between 3 and 2 is open.

So it's setup that 1 is ground, 2 is power, and 3 goes to battery +. With no plug installed, the battery powers the device. When the plug is installed, the battery is disconnected. Someone over at Boss got it in their head that this was the right way to do it, and everyone copied them. I guess the idea was that they really wanted to switch the battery +. Of course, they could have just switched battery -. Who knows. Maybe the idea was to do it in a screwy way so that you'd HAVE to use their adapter, and they figured that everyone else would do it differently.  :-//

Switching battery + makes sense, I guess, because you'd really rather not switch ground if the device is on. You can get some massive pops if you do that. It's worth noting Boss has always used a buffered bypass, so even when the device is switched "off", it's still on and buffering your signal, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want the pedal to be poorly behaved when plugging in a DC jack.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:21:42 am by John Coloccia »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
A new 15v/3A switcher i bought , and me not testing , costed me a FEI-5680A Rubidium.
People making Center negative psu's should be put away for a loooonnng time  :-- :--

Or maybe i shouldn't assume , but it was my first encounter with such a devlish device.

The latter >:D We know of the issue and got at least one DMM nearby. You shall measure voltages!

Hint: Label wall warts (which device is powered by that PSU?).
Business idea: do a kickstarter for a PSU polarity checker

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:26 pm »
I test every one with my multimeter.  It's a very quick check.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »
Yesterday I had a mother and her sons come into my workshop with a blown up radio that had the centre-negative experience.  The radio was centre-positve, but not the plugpack the young bloke used.  Magic smoke was released.
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 03:51:30 am »
...The DC jacks have 3 terminals...   ...When you plug in a DC jack, the connection between 3 and 2 is open.
... the battery powers the device. When the plug is installed, the battery is disconnected...
Thanks for the info. I never saw a DC jack with a switch, only saw this on PC's earphone jacks.
I never had anything to do with battery powered devices, always assumed the dc goes to a charging circuitry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf