Author Topic: Off to Melbourne - Looking for Techno shopping  (Read 1295 times)

Offline NW27Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Off to Melbourne - Looking for Techno shopping
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:19:04 pm »
Hi all
I'm off to Melbourne (CBD) on Sunday for a few days and whilst the wife is doing her style of shopping, I thought I my might go technical shopping.
As per most other users on this forum, I have the electronics interest so I'm quite familar with Jaycar and visit the Sydney Altronics store about once a year when in the area.
I have a 3d printer that l like enhancing so these kind of stores are always good.
Many years ago I recall there was a surplus store down there with lots of gems ie power supplies, connectors, big motors etc.
Also open for book stores with good selection of computer books etc.

So where should I go in Melbourne?
Happy to catch the tram/bus to the suburbs if required.

Neil.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline Trisc

Re: Off to Melbourne - Looking for Techno shopping
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
Hi all
I'm off to Melbourne (CBD) on Sunday for a few days and whilst the wife is doing her style of shopping, I thought I my might go technical shopping.
As per most other users on this forum, I have the electronics interest so I'm quite familar with Jaycar and visit the Sydney Altronics store about once a year when in the area.
I have a 3d printer that l like enhancing so these kind of stores are always good.
Many years ago I recall there was a surplus store down there with lots of gems ie power supplies, connectors, big motors etc.
Also open for book stores with good selection of computer books etc.

So where should I go in Melbourne?
Happy to catch the tram/bus to the suburbs if required.

Neil.

Rockby electronics in Clayton had a small "clearance" section for a while. Lots of random electronic components, small runs, batch ends etc. not sure if it's still going, might be worth a call.
They do however have their 'weekly specials' flyer sent out on Friday avo via email.- see their website (be warned, it's not too user friendly but gets the info across). Great bunch of guys. Family owned and run business. I always try to send my business their way when I need something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it hasn't blown up at some stage during development, you're doing it wrong.
Dream big, think big, stick at it & youll achieve greatness.... one day....

Offline NW27Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:17:16 am »
Thanks Guys
Just the style of information l was looking for.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:10:29 am »
Hi all
I'm not sure that there is much to discover anymore in and around the city in regards to electronics gear as most of the good stuff stores vanished years ago, anyway if you have some time to kill then Radio Parts in Spencer St might be worth a look in but you can pretty much do that on the internet now anyway, I remember the good old days when human interaction and a bit of a chat was all the go, sad times we live in nowadays.   ::) :(

Radio Parts.
http://www.radioparts.com.au/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf