Author Topic: Off-Topic Rant: News Headlines  (Read 12909 times)

n45048

Off-Topic Rant: News Headlines
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:12:22 am »
[Rant]

I just thought I'd share something that shits me and I've noticed becoming more and more common: News headlines that begin with...
"You've been doing _____ all wrong..."
"This is the news you need to know..."
"Things you didn't know about _____".

I'm sorry, when did you morons begin reading my thoughts? What happened to quality journalism?
Of course I know why they're doing it; To get clicks and revenue through advertising.

It also has the opposite effect on me: I won't click on it because you lot (the publishers) are insulting my intelligence. It's at that time I switch off from your website and refer to a reputable source of news without the bullshit (ABC News 24, SBS News or similar).

I put that sort of rubbish in the same category as poorly designed animating GIFs which tell me I'm the 1,000,000th visitor and I've won a prize! Idiots!

[/Rant]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:22:19 am by Halon »

n45048

Re: Off-Topic Rant: News Headlines
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:28:01 am »
They really are appealing to the lowest common denominator these days aren't they?

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:34 am »
Supposedly the most clicked ads are served more often in an almost darwinian way. Says a lot about the average mentality.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29322578

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:23 am »
Hehe, click here to learn how this one weird trick can increase your ad revenue :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:01 am »
Yes they are designed for people who don't have much intelligence and waste much of their time trying to be better than others and want to learn cheap easy "tricks". Simple solution, don't even bother to click or read and annoy yourself. It's because they get clicked on that they still exist.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:36 am »
Let me guess, Today Tonight & A Current Affair?  |O

Offline BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:09:18 am »
[Rant]

I just thought I'd share something that shits me and I've noticed becoming more and more common: News headlines that begin with...
"You've been doing _____ all wrong..."
"This is the news you need to know..."
"Things you didn't know about _____".

I'm sorry, when did you morons begin reading my thoughts? What happened to quality journalism?
Of course I know why they're doing it; To get clicks and revenue through advertising.

It also has the opposite effect on me: I won't click on it because you lot (the publishers) are insulting my intelligence. It's at that time I switch off from your website and refer to a reputable source of news without the bullshit (ABC News 24, SBS News or similar).

I put that sort of rubbish in the same category as poorly designed animating GIFs which tell me I'm the 1,000,000th visitor and I've won a prize! Idiots!

[/Rant]

completely agree. And similarly more and more headlines have to state the number of bloody items in the article, lest anyone might not have the attention span to start reading them. Eg:
"The 5 anti-wrinkle creams never to use."
"The four steps to avoid builders arse."
"Three signs that Ireland is being run by a complete f***wit."

Grrr.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »
"The four steps to avoid builders arse."

To be fair, I wish more people would read that one.

And I'll bet the article would not even tell you! that's the whole point, keep em gagging, and they never realize their being manipulated.... :palm:

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:47:59 pm »
This has been going on for years on US TV news networks.

"Tonight at 10, could your dishwasher KILL YOU???"
Then you watch the show, and there's a 30 second segment buried in the middle saying "No, it can't".

TV, web, It's all the same now...viewer-bait, click-bait...they're all just appealing to the lowest common denominator, which I why I don't bother watching the news or reading 99% of "news" websites.  I do miss out on legitimate news stories from time to time, but at least I'm not throwing my TV or computer through the window every other day.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:49:41 pm by suicidaleggroll »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »
I don't have a TV or watch it on any other media and only listen to sensible radio. I don't have time for crap.

n45048

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
"Tonight at 10, could your dishwasher KILL YOU???"
Then you watch the show, and there's a 30 second segment buried in the middle saying "No, it can't".
:-DD
You just made my day!

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »
The dishwasher example is stupid compared to lack of honesty in reporting on matters whihc wight lead to serious consequences such as for example the influence right wing fascist parties have had in the current Ukrainian developments and subsequent anti Russian politics.

Point in case Mr Abbot's "shirtfronting " commentary.  If Mr Putin were anything but a mature statesman we would have seen some Mrabbit fur fly. 

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:23 am »
If Mr Putin were anything but a mature statesman....

That's a good one. Putin is an autocratic thug who has pilfered billions of his countries wealth for his own benefit:

http://miamioh.edu/cas/academics/centers/havighurst/cultural-academic-resources/putins-russia/
http://www.dailyartisan.com/news/putins-shocking-abuses-of-power/

Abbot is a dill and his "shirtfronting" comments made him look like a dork, but it is still nice to see that he isn't rolling out the red carpet for that ex-KGB creep and Stasi collaborator.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:29:54 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:59 am »
Clickbait headlines are nothing new. The paper versions used a similar technique with the daily headlines they put in street displays, or in the masthead of the paper to try to induce you to do an impulse purchase of the paper. Anything below the fold is not going to be readable until you buy a paper, and often the headliners are just a small short single column article inside on a page.

Funny enough here in South Africa newspapers are still selling, helped by the high cost of mobile data. As well they often are read by multiple people which dilutes the readership numbers.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:02 am »

Abbot is a dill and his "shirtfronting" comments made him look like a dork, but it is still nice to see that he isn't rolling out the red carpet for that ex-KGB creep and Stasi collaborator.

Wrong and wrong.

Putin >:D is no statesman, he is partly responsible for the murder of the 298 innocent people including 38 innocent Australians... Russian backed militias using advanced Russian weapons shot down MH17. Allowing Putin an entry visa is disgusting.

Putin will get the red carpet treatment behind closed doors and will be hosted in a luxurious Brisbane hotel. Abbott admits he was "told" by other G20 leaders to let Putin in. The sycophant Abbott complied, much to the outrage of the people he is supposed to be representing.

The only consolation is it is highly unlikely Putin would show his face in public, in case a member of the public wanted to help "settle the account". So at least Putin won't be able to enjoy any sightseeing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:07:10 pm by VK3DRB »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 01:25:53 am »
he is partly responsible for the murder of the 298 innocent people including 38 innocent Australians...

And you learned that from Yahoo news ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 02:45:18 am »
Advanced weapon systems are present in Ukraine, owned and operated by Ukrainian military and far right fascist militia.
Ukraine operates BUK-M ( M=modified ) system.

Recent forensic work has identified it was BUK-M which shot down the aircraft. The aircraft whihc was guided into conflict airspace by.... yuo guessed it... Ukrainian air traffic controllers.

If we are going to assert ( without proof)  that it was Mr Putin who is responsible in part ... then we must CLEARLY ACKNOWLEDGE the complicity of Ukrainian authorities.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 04:03:38 am »
 ::) The net weight of the evidence thus far strongly (if not virtually conclusively) suggests that the plane was shot down by anti-Ukrainian and Russian-backed rebel forces. The plane was flying an established international route at the time it was shot down. It was under Ukrainian air traffic control because it was over Ukrainian territory. The claim that the plane was deliberately guided into the combat zone by Ukraine air traffic control was just one of the deliberately mendacious and obfuscating reports first put out by Russian state funded (and controlled) television. The blame there goes to penny-pinching Malaysian airlines for not diverting to an alternative route as most other airlines had done following the commencement of hostilities in the area. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:09:39 am by GK »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 04:06:25 am »

Wrong and wrong..........Putin will get the red carpet treatment behind closed doors and will be hosted in a luxurious Brisbane hotel. Abbott admits he was "told" by other G20 leaders to let Putin in. The sycophant Abbott complied, much to the outrage of the people he is supposed to be representing.

I don't think he's going to receive a warm welcome from the government even behind closed doors.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:30:12 am by GK »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:23 am »
*MODERATOR SNIP*
Now I expect this post will be deleted. For whatever excuse.

MODERATOR NOTE: Yep, go stick it on your website instead and please stop posting this stuff here.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:11:21 pm by EEVblog »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 11:16:59 am »
Who is taking sides? I'm not. I would not give either side's representatives the privilege of being allowed to visit this civilised country. The punishment for the pair would be much greater than mere sanctions on just the Russians. Abbott needs to show leadership, rather than being a spineless yes-man for foreign powers. In a pointed reference to Mr Putin as "my friend", Abbott said the Russian leader would be housed at a luxurious hotel while in Australia. There will be no "shirt fronting". Its all one big con.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:22:45 am by VK3DRB »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:25 am »
SNIP
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.” W.C. Fields
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:12:30 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 10:35:43 am »
I don't have a TV or watch it on any other media and only listen to sensible radio. I don't have time for crap.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

:D
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:54:29 am by IconicPCB »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 09:59:55 am »
Breaking news....

http://rt.com/news/197592-german-report-mh17-ukraine/

Will Australian Prime minister apologise to President Putin...

http://rt.com/politics/197528-russian-duma-mh17-german/

why You ask...

http://rt.com/news/197316-germany-blames-militia-crash/

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/mh17-laut-bnd-waren-separatisten-fuer-absturz-verantwortlich-a-997885.html#ref=veeseoartikel

Interesting times Ladies and Gentlemen

Ooohhhh..... Moscow-headquartered RT.com....... Now that's an impartial source! So this Russian Minister is calling for an apology based on the alleged findings of an as yet unreleased report the veracity of which hasn't even been examined.

And irrespective of any of the above, exactly WTF would any member of the Australian Government have to apologize for given Russia's utterly pathetic and inexcusable response to the incident to date? :

http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2014/07/21/Russia-MH17-response-mismanage-crisis.aspx?COLLCC=1198203320&

Do you sincerely think that "shift-fronting" Abbot can actually hold a candle up to Putin here?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:04:46 am by GK »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf