Author Topic: Oops, TKOR got charged with felony  (Read 8053 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
Oops, TKOR got charged with felony
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:36:19 am »
The King of Random has been charged for possessing and misusing explosives.

Any ideas how will this end up? Personally I think some of his videos are indeed stupid, but nevertheless, fun to watch.
But his assistant setting an unknown powder on fire and burning his arms is stupid.
What if it was not some sort of flash powder and was instead a sensitized high explosive? That could had him killed.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Oops, TKOR got charged with felony
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:46:00 am »
I always somewhat liked TKOR, but he did always seem like he didn't really know wtf he was doing and was just copying something off some Kipkay video (there's a name for you, loved his stuff).
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:14 am »
I haven't seen many of his videos, but saw a few of his metal casting ones. It seems he didn't do much research before jumping in, which lead to the potentially dangerous situation of having wet moulds and associated steam explosions. I'm sad to say that these felony charges coincide with the feeling those videos left.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:46:53 am »
I see it more as a PR stunt and a welcome opportunity to obtain "street cred". People die all the time while trying to make "unique" content for social media, I like to think of it more as a Darwin Award kind of situation. This guy hasn't reached that stage yet but at the rate he's going, he'll win the award eventually.

It's all about the clicks and all about the money.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:17:44 am »
Yeah I remember when the videos went from interesting stuff to inane shit. :-//

was just copying something off some Kipkay video (there's a name for you, loved his stuff).
Now that's a bad sign. Kipkay is no role model...to say the least... :palm:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:20:53 am by nidlaX »

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »
His channel is not too far from those Russian/Eastern European science channels (crushit, CRH, etc.). He used to be an oil rig worker then a pilot, both are jobs that don't mix with stupidity. There's not way he can be so stupid, so my only explanation is that he fell for the creed of clicks. For god sake blowing up a full bottle of butane is what a stupid teenager would do to impress girls, not what someone once worked on an oil rig then became a pilot would do.
I haven't seen any of his videos because I generally avoid that kind of crap.

Are you sure he isn't lying about his previous jobs? There are many bullshitters on YouTube.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:01:08 pm »
I also think that it is click-addiction.

Last year, one guy was killed when his pregnant girlfriend shot a gun to his chest, while holding a small book to perform a "stop the bullet" stunt.

I can't remember the gun's make or caliber, and I'm not an expert on firepower either. But some commenters who were police officers, made the comment that in order to stop that gun/bullet combo, one would have required a couple of Manhattan-thick phone books.

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:23:57 pm »
He's gone off the rails. He needs to back to flying planes, assuming that he could after this.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:31:01 pm »

Last year, one guy was killed when his pregnant girlfriend shot a gun to his chest, while holding a small book to perform a "stop the bullet" stunt.

I can't remember the gun's make or caliber, and I'm not an expert on firepower either. But some commenters who were police officers, made the comment that in order to stop that gun/bullet combo, one would have required a couple of Manhattan-thick phone books.

That gets a Darwin award for sure. Any remotely sensible person wanting to perform a stunt like that would at least do a few test fires with something else behind the bullet-stopping device.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:16:32 am »

was just copying something off some Kipkay video (there's a name for you, loved his stuff).

What was wrong with Kipkay? He seemed to be a decent channel...
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 12:49:03 am »

It was a 44Magnum. Idiocy is handed out in large packages too sometimes.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 12:56:17 am »
Yeah, 44 magnum could actually go through even some lighter bulletproof vests.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 01:35:01 am »

I stopped watching him years ago. His videos are way too short and only about 50% oversimplified instructions. The other 50% is random shilling.

They're basically like "glue this to this, now it does this, actual instructions in the description. By the way you should buy :blah: :blah: :blah: ...."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:36:53 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 01:38:24 am »

By the time someone suggested it to me, it had already devolved to garbage. Look at his headphone amp project: it’s a single transistor job (for stereo??) that doesn’t even work as shown, and if jiggered to work at all, works horribly, literally serving only to destroy sound quality. The channel is just trash now.

It was a 44Magnum. Idiocy is handed out in large packages too sometimes.
No it wasn’t. It was something even bigger, the 50 cal Desert Eagle.

It was just in the news, she took a plea bargain and it looks like she’ll basically get a slap on the wrist. Seems fair to me, given that she was coerced into doing it by the decedent.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:00 am »
Eh, I can agree some of his newer stuff is a bit shite, but his Make Magazine videos were actually fairly decent. He's had some shit projects before, but I get entertainment just out of him tinkering with things.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 02:02:55 am »
.50 is the largest legal caliber under NFA. Any larger caliber is a DD (destructive device) and requires BATF approval and tax.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:23 am »
BTW, why doesn't US government ban the sale of big guns to unlicensed individuals? If it's just for the second amendment, you don't need a .50 to defend yourself. A .357 or even a .22 from a tiny Glock is more than enough to deter and if necessary, kill anyone who tries to rob you in close distance.
You live in USA don’t you, in a fairly republican state, right? Then you know such a discussion is highly political... facts and logic are of only incidental importance. :/ But yeah, I’d suggest not going into it here, lest the thread get locked for discussing politics.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:18 am »
You live in USA don’t you, in a fairly republican state, right? Then you know such a discussion is highly political... facts and logic are of only incidental importance. :/ But yeah, I’d suggest not going into it here, lest the thread get locked for discussing politics.
Old men argue while innocent people suffer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:31:22 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 08:30:14 am »
The stunt might have not had the fatal consequences if the guy used ammunition loaded with half the powder, so that the muzzle velocity of the bullet was low enough not to penetrate the books.
- Robert

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 10:49:56 am »
No it wasn’t. It was something even bigger, the 50 cal Desert Eagle.

I would believe if some idiot thinks a book can save you from a 9mm, but thinking a book can stop a .50 from something that's essentially a mini shotgun is completely insane.

BTW, why doesn't US government ban the sale of big guns to unlicensed individuals? If it's just for the second amendment, you don't need a .50 to defend yourself. A .357 or even a .22 from a tiny Glock is more than enough to deter and if necessary, kill anyone who tries to rob you in close distance.

you could use the same argument to ban big trucks, you don't need one to go drive to your office work or pick up groceries ...

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 10:58:59 am »
Lesson 1 : don't piss off you neighbours.
I saw a comment somewhere that the law where he is allows posession of explosives for use in the course of business, which is probably a reasonable argument here, so my guess is it will be knocked down to a minor "cauing a nuisance" type thing.
I'm sure with 8M subs he can afford a good lawyer.

The more recent vids with his sidekick have been slightly less annoying, and the music has also got a bit less annoying. He also seems to have stopped the really annoying habit of recapping everything that had just been shown.

I still find the unnecessary black latex gloves a bit creepy-looking though.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:26:45 am »
If your neighbor makes chunks of money by not going to work and in the process deprives your sleeping quality and general living quality, you will also be pissed off.

Cody has a mine and a ranch, and he is from a miner family of generations. Grant blows shit up in his backyard.
Envy is a terrible thing and shouldn't be part of the equation. A lot of people will hate that he makes good money "not going to work" and that's all their own problem. Many people have terrible issues with anyone that doesn't fit in their 9 to 5 view of the world and anyone who doesn't suffer the same from it they do. Doing things that aren't fully "model neighbour compliant" isn't reason to cause people trouble either. So many folks try to tell others how to live when it's none of their business.

Of course, when you seriously start impacting the living quality of others or cause serious danger to people, that's another story.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 11:38:25 am »
Lesson 1 : don't piss off you neighbours.
I saw a comment somewhere that the law where he is allows posession of explosives for use in the course of business, which is probably a reasonable argument here, so my guess is it will be knocked down to a minor "cauing a nuisance" type thing.
I'm sure with 8M subs he can afford a good lawyer.

The last article I read mentioned that as well and that they were looking into zoning laws, if he has a license to run the business and such.  I assume he was smart enough to keep up on his taxes and declaring the income as I would guess they are looking at that as well.   

I have only ever watched a few of his videos and funny enough, they were on making some home made fireworks which I am sure he is not the only one.    :-DD

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »
Old men argue while innocent people suffer.
Yep. But my point was merely that the EEVblog forum rules are really strict regarding politics, and it’s fairly rigidly enforced.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:30 pm »
Envy is a terrible thing and shouldn't be part of the equation. A lot of people will hate that he makes good money "not going to work" and that's all their own problem. Many people have terrible issues with anyone that doesn't fit in their 9 to 5 view of the world and anyone who doesn't suffer the same from it they do.

I work from home. But I'm pretty sure if I blow things up and messes with my neighbors, they will get pissed off.
Aaaaw, come on! Just put a flyer into the mailboxes announcing that you are remodelling and sound a klaxon 10s before ignition. Otherwise you would exclude all the hard-working people from the ordnance factories from getting any time in home office at all! 

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 04:17:49 pm »
Aaaaw, come on! Just put a flyer into the mailboxes announcing that you are remodelling and sound a klaxon 10s before ignition. Otherwise you would exclude all the hard-working people from the ordnance factories from getting any time in home office at all!
Ordnance muss sein!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:05 pm »
When I was a teenager my friends and I used to blow stuff up in the back yard somewhat frequently. I shudder to think of the trouble I would have got in by doing a lot of the stuff I did then in recent times. Glad I was born when I was instead of 20 years later.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:14 pm »
When I was a teenager my friends and I used to blow stuff up in the back yard somewhat frequently. I shudder to think of the trouble I would have got in by doing a lot of the stuff I did then in recent times. Glad I was born when I was instead of 20 years later.
Absolutely! At one time in my teen years I became such an industrious user of chlorates and perchlorates that the involved chemist told me once that I would have to pick up my order right after delivery, because he deemed it unsafe to keep it in his shop!
Once my mom was looking for paper to fire up her belover artisanal tiled stove. Unfortunately, I had used those newspapers for some mixing procedures. The stove made a sound described to me like 'OOOMPH!' and then smoke started to leak from places where it shouldn't!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 08:22:20 pm »
What is the video in question?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:04 am »

Ditto. Myself and one fiend [sic] got through an awful lot of *ahem* pyrotechnics in our time. I'm pleased to say that, although we had the knowledge and supplies to make some serious explosives, we had the wisdom to never attempt it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 02:19:20 am »
With that kind of pre-running PR: I kind of doubt there is a serious problem. Or maybe i misunderstood something, because those incidents are from June and August 2017.
Support your local planet.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »
With that kind of pre-running PR: I kind of doubt there is a serious problem. Or maybe i misunderstood something, because those incidents are from June and August 2017.

and if you watch the video is nothing about charges, it is one long advertisement for a "get rich fast scam", for a lowly $1000 you can attend an exclusive seminar with him revealing the secrets to getting millions of subscribers and get rich in no time 

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:03 pm »
Absolutely! At one time in my teen years I became such an industrious user of chlorates and perchlorates that the involved chemist told me once that I would have to pick up my order right after delivery, because he deemed it unsafe to keep it in his shop!
Once my mom was looking for paper to fire up her belover artisanal tiled stove. Unfortunately, I had used those newspapers for some mixing procedures. The stove made a sound described to me like 'OOOMPH!' and then smoke started to leak from places where it shouldn't!

Same here, nothing more fun than blowing up small trees with fireworks as 12-14 year old. Now you'd probably be brought up on terrorism charges in a lot of countries for that stuff. :palm:

But yeah, they seem to have crashed down into the lame "self help book" territory.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf