Author Topic: Opinions about "The Geek Group" on YouTube  (Read 72737 times)

Offline ChrisBoden

• Contributor
Re: Opinions about "The Geek Group" on YouTube
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 02:58:23 am »
Aw hell I'll do it if he will. Come on over Dave and we'll shoot a video on anything you want.

All I ask is we use warm water if we do the t-shirt thing.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 02:59:41 am »
I really don't want to see either Dave or Chris in a wet t-shirt.

I've seen Chris out of a t-shirt.  I am somewhat traumatised.

duskglow

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:31 am »
I just participated in TGG live, along with a few other forum members, and I realized that, y'know, Chris and Dave have different foci, different goals, different methods, and frankly, even different cultures.  And that's OK.  Dave does things the way he likes, Chris does things they way he he wants (along with the team), and each has a large following that is suited to their particular offerings.

And that's OK!  It really is!  I love the videos that Dave offers, I like what TGG does, there's room for everyone.  I'm sure all of us have better things to do than whine about how an organization that we have nothing to do with does things.  Some people here don't like TGG, some do, some don't care, and that's really OK.

We're all people, after all.  We're all geeks.  As a major philosopher of the 20th century said once, "Can't we all just get along?"  :)

Thanks to both Dave and Chris, btw, for engaging and keeping it civil with each other.  I really think both of you have things to offer each other.  I would love to see how that turns out, if it does.

Offline Sprocket777

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:26 am »
I know they try to do "off the cuff" stuff, especially the autopsies, but it comes off as unprofessional. Some of the autopsy videos, I cringe when Chris yells or does something stupid in the videos, however it is just his personality. They are working on getting a teleprompter for use in official videos, which I think will help a lot.

I just got my arse chewed off for being "unprofessional" in the latest Tekway video by getting some operational stuff wrong.
Like people expect everything that come out of my channel to be 100% professional, refined, and checked. Even a bumbling first impressions video  ::)
I have not watched Chris's videos, but if anyone is criticising him for being unprofessional or being himself in what is effectively a live(?) show (even if post edited), I think that's an unrealistic expectation.

I understand what you are saying Dave, and I more or less agree. The thing is, the group's goal of their official videos is to produce a professional video (correct me if I'm wrong Chris) and to inspire others to get them interested in science and technology. The content of their videos is usually excellent, but it is those random bits of madness and stupidity which act as a turn off for viewers. I am not criticizing the fact that Chris acts like that, but the fact that it makes it into the edited professional videos is what gets me. Keep in mind, this is a group of people acting to serve a greater purpose, not Chris. When I criticize the group's video's, I am not criticizing Chris. He should keep acting as he does! It gives personality to stuff!

There is a time for off the cuff videos, which is often. But for example, the MIDI interrupter video, that is an instructional video with the purpose of teaching. By having Chris say in the beginning, "I don't really know how to solder," then continue on to teach us how to put together the new kit, it doesn't relay the intended message. When the show isn't effectively live, it is a realistic expectation.

Offline ChrisBoden

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:28 am »
I totally agree. We're both two guys on the same side fighting the war against stupid. We're each doing it in our own way, and each has his groove. I would like to personally invite Dave to come tour our labs, and, if he wishes, to be in a video together. Dave, you can pick the topic and genre, anything you like. I would be honoured to have you come play.

Have fun guys, and thank you for a fun and interesting discussion.

Chris Boden

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:12 am »
And that's OK!  It really is!  I love the videos that Dave offers, I like what TGG does, there's room for everyone.  I'm sure all of us have better things to do than whine about how an organization that we have nothing to do with does things.  Some people here don't like TGG, some do, some don't care, and that's really OK.

Betcha I have more haters!  :P
 :box:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2013, 03:38:26 am »
I would like to personally invite Dave to come tour our labs, and, if he wishes, to be in a video together. Dave, you can pick the topic and genre, anything you like. I would be honoured to have you come play.

Thanks for the invite, but there is a small problem of 15,000km or so.

Offline wi6971lly

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:17 am »
I would like to personally invite Dave to come tour our labs, and, if he wishes, to be in a video together. Dave, you can pick the topic and genre, anything you like. I would be honoured to have you come play.

Thanks for the invite, but there is a small problem of 15,000km or so.

Could always do it over skype or something :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:28 am »
I understand what you are saying Dave, and I more or less agree. The thing is, the group's goal of their official videos is to produce a professional video (correct me if I'm wrong Chris) and to inspire others to get them interested in science and technology.

If that's the case, then yes, they could be pushing up expectations with that.

The content of their videos is usually excellent, but it is those random bits of madness and stupidity which act as a turn off for viewers.

How do you know that?
How can you speak for others?
Be careful about assuming what other people think and want.
If there is one thing I have learned in this whole endeavour it's that everyone wants and expects something different. As a content producer, it's an impossible position.

I am not criticizing the fact that Chris acts like that, but the fact that it makes it into the edited professional videos is what gets me.

Once again, I have not seen the videos. But from my own experience the reasons for that could be several. If you chop it out you can lose the flow of the video, and possibly some context further on in the video.
Also, it's usually not practical to go back and re-shoot stuff, you usually have to "make do" with whatever footage you shot.
It's always a tough call about whether to leave that stuff in or not.

Keep in mind, this is a group of people acting to serve a greater purpose, not Chris. When I criticize the group's video's, I am not criticizing Chris. He should keep acting as he does! It gives personality to stuff!

Bingo!
You want him to have and show personality in the video, but you want the personality you expect and approve of.
I hope you can see how that's not quite practical, unless he was shooting the videos just for you :D

There is a time for off the cuff videos, which is often. But for example, the MIDI interrupter video, that is an instructional video with the purpose of teaching. By having Chris say in the beginning, "I don't really know how to solder," then continue on to teach us how to put together the new kit, it doesn't relay the intended message. When the show isn't effectively live, it is a realistic expectation.

I though all his official videos were effectively "live" for the streaming audience?
if that's the case then as I said, you can't just go back and shoot stuff, it's a whole different ball game.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:49:56 am by EEVblog »

Offline expertmax1Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2013, 03:54:00 am »
Oh please Dave, do not change the way you film/edit your stuff, it just works !  O0

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:25 am »
Oh please Dave, do not change the way you film/edit your stuff, it just works !  O0

That's just your opinion!  ;D
For every hundred telling me that, I have a hundred telling me the opposite.
At least when I worked for The Man, I only had one boss  :D

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2013, 05:24:15 am »

We have seen Dave and a multimeter getting wet together. Don't ask ...
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

duskglow

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:37 am »
We have seen Dave and a multimeter getting wet together. Don't ask ...

Oh that?  That was just a fluke.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2013, 06:32:32 am »
Bahahahahaha!   Nice one. 

Aaaaand this thread is derailed.  This thread wasn't as fun as the IGBT one I did a whike back though :-+
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:11 am »
multimillion dollar non-profit

So in the end its all about the cheese. I think the term is selling out.
How much for a say in your enterprise? Could I for example remove all women from premises for a cool $mill/year donation? or 2 $mill/year for making them wear Hijabs? I am joking of course, but It does sound like you are primarily focused on money instead of community (at least online one). Main YT channel is a promotional vehicle for advertisers and this is why this thread got started (i think?).
I remember watching some of your videos a long time ago (2 years? maybe 5? you still wore pistol on your belt) and It always seemed as 'here look at all the cool stuff we have/build, donate!"

Why? Dave has a great climbers body :P
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 09:14:08 am »
Main YT channel is a promotional vehicle for advertisers

People say that about my channel and test gear manufacturers  ::)

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2013, 11:26:20 am »
...If anyone is doing this because:
1) They think their channel will look more "professional" to their advertisers or sponsors
or
2) They are being pressured by their advertisers or sponsors to keep up some sort of "clean" imagine.

Edited or not edited, I don't think you post stuff like this if you are trying to keep a clean professional image...

I also think this was a disappointing video.

Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2013, 03:16:27 pm »
Well, people running around with guns, claiming they want to make a difference, want to leave a legacy, want to change the world and want to fight stupidity make me nervous. But that is probably only me.

Seeing some of the tactics The Geek Group applies here in the discussions* I think it is a good idea to continue to stay away from them.

* To immediately send out the goons for support. To immediately monopolize others with the "you are one of us" tactic.

I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »
Well, people running around with guns, claiming they want to make a difference, want to leave a legacy, want to change the world and want to fight stupidity make me nervous. But that is probably only me.

Oh, you're not alone in being deathly afraid of simple tools, trust me.

Seeing some of the tactics The Geek Group applies here in the discussions* I think it is a good idea to continue to stay away from them.

* To immediately send out the goons for support. To immediately monopolize others with the "you are one of us" tactic.

What makes you think they were 'sent out'?

duskglow

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:24 pm »
Actually, I think it was the opposite - someone who is a member of both groups (it wasn't me) saw it, and immediately said "Hey Chris, take a look at this", and then it went from there.  It seemed more bottom up to me.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2013, 03:35:00 pm »

I think you're being overly cynical.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

duskglow

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
I think you're being overly cynical.

And I REALLY don't understand where all the animus comes from.  I acknowledge that the group has its positives and negatives, and I am careful not to paint a rosy picture, but some of the things said and inferred about them border on the incomprehensible.  Maybe I'm just missing something, I'm not known for being the most socially... ept?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:43 pm »
Actually (digging back a bit, here), Chris asked people not to jump in and defend him.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
I do a lot of things people ask me not to do.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline ChrisBoden

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:21 pm »
Guys, he's a troll, you're better than that. Don't feed into the stupidity. He's just looking to pick a fight, it's your choice to hand it to him or not. Think for yourselves, ask questions, demand evidence. Critical thinking works.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf