Author Topic: Thoughts on a website slogan: "Bytes sized packets of analog info"?  (Read 4164 times)

Offline dkozelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi Folks,

I have a few posts written up including RF equipment repair and use, digital and analog circuit design, and some software defined radio/digital signal processing topics. I want to publish these and the site in a week or so, but am a sucker enough to want a good slogan/tagline with it! :)

The name of the site is Bits to Volts providing "Byte Sized Packets of Analog Info".

How does this sound to you folks. Any thoughts or tips? Thanks!

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
Re: Thoughts on a website slogan: "Bytes sized packets of analog info"?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:10:14 pm »
I think "byte sized" is maybe a bit overused in this context. Especially mainstream media seems to love it.

Something that popped in my mind is "a constellation of information". As a logo you could use a stylized constellation diagram.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:39 pm »
I think "byte sized" is maybe a bit overused in this context. Especially mainstream media seems to love it.

Something that popped in my mind is "a constellation of information". As a logo you could use a stylized constellation diagram.

Not really. "Bite-sized" is common, "byte-sized" is not. It associates with digital technology and, together with "analog", makes for a quite clever play on words, actually. My only problem with this tagline is, it doesn't exactly roll of my non-native-speaker tongue. It just seems quite hard to pronounce for me, a bit (see what I did here?) of a tongue-twister, for some reason.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »
If you make 8 small key points per page or two more complex ones (as there are two nybbles in a byte), it could work, but it doesn't pay to get over fancy with slogans or taglines when its the content and accessibility that matters not the holistic whalesong fluff presentation.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »

Not really. "Bite-sized" is common, "byte-sized" is not. It associates with digital technology and, together with "analog", makes for a quite clever play on words, actually.

I do mean byte-sized. Just google for it and see how many results there are. Everybody seems to use it for digital/internet related articles. To me it's one of those terms used when some old media tries to sound geeky. It was even the name of a show on MTV, maybe that's why it gives me the shivers :-//

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:13 pm »
I do mean byte-sized. Just google for it and see how many results there are. Everybody seems to use it for digital/internet related articles. To me it's one of those terms used when some old media tries to sound geeky. It was even the name of a show on MTV, maybe that's why it gives me the shivers :-//

Ok, I see. Didn't realize that.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »
Coming up with an original-sounding slogan is hard. Especially if you want something that doesn't give fifty million google hits.
So don't let that slow you down. Just put the site up and concentrate on creating content. Leave the slogan out for now, (or use it, doesn't matter) and maybe inspiration will strike later. It's more likely to, after you stop deliberately straining for it.

Um... and yes, I think it's really cheesy and stale. Sorry.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline dkozelTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:15:51 am »
Well shucks. I hadn't realized byte (not bite) sized had been used to death elsewhere. MTV! Hmm.

Zbig caught the intended play on words when combined with analog and given the blog will be in English I wouldn't have blocked on it not translating well or being enunciable. After all, I'm the only one who would have to say it out loud from time to time.

Cheesy I'm fine with, stale and overused nope!

I really do want to have something though. "Reading between the bytes"? :P

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:13 am »
BITe or NIBBLE, @ WORDs of Wisdom 

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:13:48 am »
Just to demonstrate how much slogans can stink:

The Electric Octal-puss
  Software Defined Review
  Bits to Volts - now without slogans, cheese content reduced.

It's a syndrome born of newspaper headlines. Why not just call it what it is?

Bits to Volts - on RF, SDR, DSP and Analog equipment repair, use and design.

At least no one is going to be left wondering what the site intends to be.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:48 am »
Why not something like "RF Insider" or "UnderDACs" (reference to Australian underwear "Underdaks") ;-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf