Author Topic: OT:Favourite computer games  (Read 34048 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
OT:Favourite computer games
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:51:14 pm »
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago. I must say I'm enjoying the challenge and am surprised how enjoyable the game is. After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2 and trying to figure out Antichamber.
Just wondering what your favourite game is and what benefits do you get from playing it?

David.

PS I have found that this game also help to improve problem solving skills which are important when trying to solve technical problems. So it's not entirely off topic in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:32:42 pm by djsb »
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
Re: OT:Favourite computer games
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »
I'm currently hooked on Kerbal Space Program. Build your own rocket and try to land it on the Mun or even another planet. It's actually quite educational. The game did take some shortcuts with the orbital physics, buy overall it's reasonably close to how it actually works in real life.
Scott Manley makes lots of videos of the game:

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:06:01 pm »
been a long time sine i played it but id's Doom (PC) is right up there on my list along with Elite (Spectrum or Atari ST). Doom lead to Quake where i spent too many hours playing QuakeWorld online with my 28.8 modem!

as for modern games, i love Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto series on the playstation

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:19:15 pm »
My favorite all-time was "Starlancer" but i still have never managed to get the thing to not crash after a certain point on every computer i've owned from the 1990's to now, which means i still haven't been able to play more than half way through it!   |O

next up was defiantly portal 1, brilliant game made better by the minimalistic approach taken to keep the game under a certain size, (no music or advanced textures)

after that, would be halo 1, i love the mission "assault on the control room" and as a kid would almost play it in a loop, creating my own challenges, like getting past a stage without alerting any enemies, or even time trialing myself, and the best bit ever, finding big shortcuts.like hijacking a banshee or walking up the spire to the control room door.

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »
Encompassing computer and phone... I don't have many favorite games.. I'm not a gamer. If I only had the time...

Jet Car Stunts (phone -probably my all time favorite- with a brand new sequel!)
JCS2
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
X-Plane (yes, I'm a nerd, but aren't we all here?)
Telnet Zork. Need to get this finished soon. Too addicting, and I was born wayyy after the game to enjoy it then.
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:27 pm »
I think the Civilisation series would have to go down as some of the best. You start off in 4000BC with no technology and have to either conquer the world or reach Alpha Century before 2100AD.

For shooting games, the Deus Ex series. Full of investigations, little side missions and enough conspiracy theories to keep anyone confused.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
I really like the classic first-person shooters (such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D), although I also enjoy RPGs. I'm playing Blades of Exile right now.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:13:30 am »
It is hard to beat Half Life and all the subsequent series for entertainment. I also was involved in playing Counter Strike in gaming leagues but online gaming lost its attraction with the influx of 12 year old snot nosed brats doing anything they could to piss off every other player on the server. Quake 3 Arena is also fun for some mindless run and gun.

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:14:18 am »
take a look:

- Minecraft:  a c. XXI Lego.
- Total anhiliation thru free spring RTS engine http://springrts.com.
- Terraria: maze & maze & maze
- Civilization saga
- Supreme commander: RTS (fast & furious)

and.... coming soon, now on open beta UPDATE!!!! UBI SOFT CANCELLED, THEN..... EVE ONLINE AND GOODBYE UBI SOFT:

- Silent Hunter online http://www.silenthunteronline.com/

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:39:27 pm by manzini »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:38 am »
I am too old to play computer games today. In 1997 or so I played The Incredible Machine  a lot. It was made in 1992 by Sierra Entertainment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Machine_%28series%29
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:13:54 am by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:18 am »
DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Castle Wolfenstein.  I would love to get my hands on a copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:39 am »
Age of Empires 2, Battlefield 1942/ Vietnam. Those were also the last major computer gaming that i have done.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:59 am »
I loved TA, best RTS imho
When people said this game was the spiritual successor, I gave it a whirl and quite frankly hated it, no idea why.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 04:16:36 am »
A job I had in the early 70's was repairing arcade games. Hours of having to play games to test them rather put me off later computer games.

Also the fast moving ones tend to induce nausea, I think it's a form of motion sickness which is strange seeing I have no problems travelling by air or in boats.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:12 am »
I am a massive fan of military strategy games.  I really like wargame airland battle and Rome 2 total war.  Wargame is a historical game based on the standoff in the cold war.  It is what would have happened if a land war got out of control.  It's very realistic and modern.  I usually play as west germany, I just love the leopard 2 tank soo much.  Their aircraft suck though   :--

I am a much better player on rome2 though.  Its another historical game...   I was rank 522 in the world a couple months ago.  I have stopped playing it for the moment because school ramped up...
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline smashedProton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 05:53:17 am »
take a look:

- Minecraft:  a c. XXI Lego.
- Terraria: maze & maze & maze
- Civilization saga

and.... coming soon, now on open beta:

- Silent Hunter online http://www.silenthunteronline.com/

supreme commander has a economy system that I really love.  the concept of mass and energy storage is really interesting.  It really you look at purchases in terms of the first derivative as  you build them.
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:57 am »
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago. I must say I'm enjoying the challenge and am surprised how enjoyable the game is. After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2 and trying to figure out Antichamber.
Just wondering what your favourite game is and what benefits do you get from playing it?

David.

PS I have found that this game also help to improve problem solving skills which are important when trying to solve technical problems. So it's not entirely off topic in my opinion.

There's also Portal Prelude which I think is a free download for Portal users.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:29 am »
There's also Portal Prelude which I think is a free download for Portal users.

Thank you !  ;D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 07:30:39 am »
I haven't played many computer games in a long time but I always really liked Warcraft II and Age of Empires II, especially playing multiplayer with some friends over a network. I played quite a bit of Doom, Quake, Duke Nuken 3D back in the day too. There are high res 3D accelerated engines for the latter two now. If you like puzzle games, The 7th Guest was one of my favorites, it's ancient by current standards but the puzzles are still fun. That game was the "killer app" that sold a lot of CD-ROM drives back when those were a new thing.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 07:45:04 am »
Sim City 2000 hands down my favourite game of all time.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 08:51:51 am »
Massive waste of time  :=\ I still have an Amiga 600, C64, Beeb, Sega Megadrive and Saturn, along with a poop load of games, stashed in the closet. In the last 15 years I wouldn't have spent more than five hours in total playing video games. If I pull a games machine out of the closet now out of a rare pang of nostalgia after half an hour or so of staring at the screen I'm typically already feeling quite comatose; even quicker in general than when reading through forum threads or internet dating site profiles, which is something I found slightly disturbing, considering just how much time I spent playing computer games throughout my high school years. Guess I've grown up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:53:40 am by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 09:05:23 am »
War Thunder is a free to play MMP (32 players max) WWII flight and tank simulator.
 I have a few 'net' friends with whom I regularly squad up with for a game and a bit of banter. Sure beats TV.

Kerbal sure taught me a lot about space travel( from a low base)  but haven't played it for a while.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:07:05 am by HackedFridgeMagnet »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
 Always love The Incredible machine series. There is a Rube Goldberg app for IOS and Android, but it was disappointingly short. Nicely based on actual Goldberg cartoons, but not very many - I completed it on a single plane flight.

The last serious playing I did was back with Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the original Call of Duty. You know, back when instead of relying on the game company's servers, you ran your own. And they had scripting code so you could make mods to the games. I played with an online group where we were all fans of using the sniper rifles. In general online play we were often called cheaters because of our accuracy, so we made our own server and our own maps specially designed for a sniper v sniper gameplay - in cases where other weapons could be found, they actually did no damage. It was fun to find some disgruntled wannabe spawn with a machine gun and you could just stand there while they unloaded and nothing would happen to you. In CoD we had an option as mods to turn someone into a flaming cow. Literally, a cow on fire would be running around/ The worst possible thing would be to be killed by someone who was turned into the cow - they had about 30 seconds of life but they could still shoot you.

I've been on the Kerbal thing since it was first offered in beta, but I haven't played much lately. I also got heavily into World of Tanks, WWII era tank combat, but haven't played that for a while either.

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:48 pm »
I am more into XBOX but one series of games you can get on PC that are absolutely amazing are the Batman Arkham games (Asylum, City, Knight). They are in my top 10 or maybe 5 list for sure. Then there is Red Dead redemption and a whole lot from Rockstar... the early Assassins creed games (prior to 3)... oh boy know I wanna play.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:55 pm »
I am too old to play computer games today.
You are not too old.
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/NgiJv

As for my own favourites - the Civilization series, Morrowind, Minecraft and the Fallout series.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »
One of my favourite 'modern classics' is Factorio. It also wins my "just 5 more minutes"-award. And for others the "oh shit, I've work tomorrow and it's 4AM".

The story is you crashed on a foreign planet and the mission is to need to send a rocket into space. In free mode the game doesn't end there though. It's a complete sandbox which opens people creativity for e.g. smart contraptions, novel idea's or just plain overkill production facilities.

The point in this game is: if you were to completely ignore the machines and automation you can set up, it will take over 390 hours to craft 1 rocket. That's not my idea of fun. Some people have built bases that can craft and launch 3 rockets per minute. You can literally automate everything in this game.

You may first start out with a row of smelters that you need to babysit and refuel yourself. Soon you'll automate that.
In the late game, you can become as lazy as setting up train stations that automatically fill them with the required materials to set up remote outposts. You can create blueprints of structures and copy&paste them.

Oh.. and there are these things called "combinators" which you can "program". So you can set up smart factories that do some computations/logic before they become active.

The graphics are bit dark and dull; but it's not meant to be a "huray it's spring on this planet"-type game. Quite the contrary. The original inhabitants aren't so happy with the industrialization and pollution it brings. But "/care" -> just get of rid of them, after all their nests are siting on some beautiful oil wells we need for producing more circuits!

And best of all; Factorio won the "award" for least worst tree chopping experience! . I.e. you can burn complete forests down if you need that space for moar production.

Despite being early access/beta or whatever, it's extremely polished and after my (literally) hundreds of hours I put in, I hardly ever saw any bug.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:13:45 pm by hans »

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 02:12:49 pm »
After I've finished portal I'll be going onto Portal 2
Portal 2 is awesome.
Spent many hours playing Minecraft, but an old fav is XCOM, and then further back in time Jane's simulations (including Longbow 2, F-15, 688(I)) with a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup (which I must convert to connect to my modern PC one day) and then in the far far back days Battlezone vector arcade game and Roc 'n' Rope on the pub arcade table.  :)
And sometimes you will find us underground as a family exploring the ruins of the Great Underground Empire, rusty lantern in hand.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:30:24 am by NivagSwerdna »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 04:40:46 pm »
Oh man, I forgot about The Incredible Machine games, those were awesome. Another one I easily get sucked into is Lemmings.

A lot of these old games you can play for free now, some are online, others you can grab from abandonware sites. There is a program called Dosbox that you can use to run them on modern computers.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:52 pm »
TIM and Lemmings where great :)

But nothing beats a good MUD.
Surely I can't be the only one who enjoys them.

70K online hours might warrant an addiction disorder though.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 07:13:57 pm »
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now
a slippering slope it can be.
some of my lifelong favourites, in no order:
from valve:
portal 2 (obviously, if you thought a sequel couldn't get better.. you are wrong.)
half life 2 and episodes, too.
from firefly:
stronghold and stronghold crusader
from bethesda:
fallout series
oblivion

caution: addictive time wasters ahead.
civilization IV + DLCs
rollercoaster tycoon 1 and 2

others:
max payne series
metroid series (the best series of all times, to me. metroid prime is the best fps i've ever played. I'd get a gamecube wii wii u just to play the whole metroid series in virtual console)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:00 am »
These days I tend to mostly play games I can fire up and play for a few minutes then go do something else, rather than having to invest many hours in it. I still have my collection of classic arcade cabinets I started collecting back in the late 90s when they were still cheap, I play those now and then.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:32 am »
Wow, SpringRTSBADSD16v16 player? ;D

Mass Effect series and The Witcher series are fantastic, check them out if you have time and a computer that can run them well.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:41 am »
Bards Tale, Defender of the Crown, Lemmings.

I play minecraft at my son's request.
Simutrans was another he liked.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 02:14:47 am »
My all time favorite game series would have to be Space Quest by Sierra (particularly 1 to 4) - SQIII would be my absolute fav out of the series:

I'm also a big fan of the Monkey Island series:

I still love simple classics like Bombjack, Lemmings, Loderunner, Galaga and Space invaders too.  8)

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 03:10:35 am »
Asteroids - the first game I had. Loaded from tape into a Dick Smith System 80 (TRS80 clone)

Time Pilot - fond memories of playing this in the late PM / early AM hours at a local roadhouse (gas station), often in freezing temperatures, with friends clocking over the high scores. That's when playing video games with friends meant face-to-face.

Halo (most versions) I have enjoyed of late when I can sit down long enough.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:32 am »
Since most of the modern popular games listed I already like, I'll mention 1 from the 80s on my Atari 800 I liked, 'M.U.L.E.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.L.E.

The first supply & demand commerce type game which was actually multi-player enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:43:29 am by BrianHG »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:13 am »

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 06:14:26 am »
I actually got my degree as a game developer, with AI major. This is a topic kind of close to my heart!
I rarely play games these days as I find other outlets for recreation (such as making them, music and electronics) but if I play these days it's either:

League of Legends - just recreational, and a slight hint of strategy and mechanics - of course competitive :)
or
Counter Strike: Global Offensive - reaction time, strategy, competitive

I've had countless hours in Microsoft Flight Sim (pretty much all of them) - got a few of the virtual certificates in X :p
Other influential titles over the years as a casual gamer: Zelda, Mario, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, The Last of Us and Firewatch to mention a few.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:27 am »
Here is my list:

- The Incredible machine
- Day of the Tentacle
- Space Quest (all)
- Kings Quest (all)
- Leisure Suit Larry (all)
- Darkseed
- Lots of Infocom games (Leather godesses of Phobos)
- Defense Grid
- Defense Grid 2
- The room (1 + 2 + 3)
- Deponia (1 + 2 + 3)
- Edna bricht aus
- Harveys neue Augen
- Daedalus encounter
- Jet set Willy
- Commander Keen
- Dots
- Lost Vikings (1 + 2)
- Sokoban
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 08:32:22 am »
Asteroids - the first game I had. Loaded from tape into a Dick Smith System 80 (TRS80 clone)
definitely +1. Just had the opportunity to play it on the original arcades console last weekend, on an exibition  ;D
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:59 am »
definitely +1. Just had the opportunity to play it on the original arcades console last weekend, on an exibition  ;D

The original arcade cabinet is the *only* way to properly play Asteroids. It made the best use of the unique capabilities of a CRT vector display of any game I've ever seen. No other display technology has the dynamic range to produce those blinding bright shots. I have an original Asteroids cabinet in my basement, it's one of my favorites.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 08:55:51 am »
For Portal 2 like puzzling but with more engineering i recommend Infinifactory by Zatchtronics.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/

Its a game about building assembly lines for making products. You get  raw materials coming in and your job is to build a contraption out of simple building blocks to create the required output product. The interesting part is that there is no single correct way to solve the levels. Much like in real life the solution can be dirty inefficient and thrown together or optimized to be eater fast or cheap. Once you complete a level the game compares your solution to the solutions of others on a histogram so that you can see how well you did.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:11 am »
Geez.  Nobody plays Diablo 2?  Diablo 2 LoD?

Offline R005T3r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:31 am »
Well, I spend most of my gaming time, studying nowadays... My favorite game so far was Halo3. With 4 and 5 they just downgraded it...

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »
Dune and C&C before crappy Red Alert :) First game was Digger though, that's when I learnt about hex-editors and how levels are created,  :scared:

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:45 pm »
I've Just started playing computer games for the first time in my life. I'm 53 and I've not really had any interest up to now and I've always considered games as a waste of time. Spent my time messing with electronics as a teenager and computers where in their infancy so no games around.That is until I gave Portal a chance 2 weeks ago.

In my yoof I played Apple Panic, Lode Runner, Tetris, Dark Castle but I pretty much stopped playing traditional computer games 25 years ago.

I gave Portal a go when it became available free. It seemed rather easy compared to the problems I solve in programming at work :-)

The only thing I play recently is Condor Soaring

You're flying a simulated aircraft with no engine, and can take part in races of 100 - 500 km against other people on the internet in real time. It's quite realistic and useful for learning or practising the decision making skills and techniques of real glider racing (which I also do).

We use the same program at our club with a PC hooked up to the real controls in an old glider cockpit and a big projection TV in front.

The graphics are a bit basic by today's standard -- the program recommends "1+ GHz CPU, 256 MB RAM, DX7+ card with 64 MB". But in fact it's perfectly adequate for the purpose.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:29:17 pm by brucehoult »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »
The graphics are a bit basic by today's standard -- the program recommends "1+ GHz CPU, 256 MB RAM, DX7+ card with 64 MB". But in fact it's perfectly adequate for the purpose.

if only more developers realized this.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »
been a long time sine i played it but id's Doom (PC) is right up there on my list along with Elite (Spectrum or Atari ST). Doom lead to Quake where i spent too many hours playing QuakeWorld online with my 28.8 modem!

:-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

:-+ :-+

I remember staying late at work to play Quake with my coworkers over the network. This was back when networks were still expensive and I was broke. Good times.

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:56 pm »
Planescape: Torment, System Shock, and the original Deus Ex. Several mods for Deus Ex also rank very high on my list of all-time favorite games. More recent stuff: Axiom Verge, Love, Tyranny, and Stardew Valley (I like fishing and farming  :-// )

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:41 pm »
 The stay late at work was playing Age of Empires. One of us would go downstairs so we couldn't cheat by looking over at the other person's screen.

We did play Quake during lunch at another job. Then a few other people wanted to join in but they got motion sick from 3D games so we started shooting rounds of golf in Links.

Offline maggotronix

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:24 am »
I've enjoyed some of the later Bethesda offerings like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein Old Blood & New Order...  :-+

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
If you like a slower paced game, take a look at World of Warships. It's a multiplayer online WW2 era ship "simulator". Take the term simulator very loosely, for gameplay reasons they took some liberties to make it a bit more playable. Mind you, a battleship still feels really slow, but it's not quite "20 minutes to turn 360 degrees" slow. It's just when you look at the distance markers to other players you'll see that an average cruiser in this game does about 170 miles per hour :P

The controls are similar to any 3th person shooter, shouldn't take long to get used to it.

https://worldofwarships.com/

The game is free to play. Their business model is very acceptable, you are not really at a disadvantage when you don't have a premium account, it will take longer to unlock upgrades though.

Offline r4ptor

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:13 am »
Last month I finally got to play the new Doom. Liked it very much, good music, straight forward action. Nice :)
Currently I'm playing The Witcher, wild hunt again. Addictivity over 9000.

[edit] Ah an yeah, Kerbal space program of course.

Once did actual calculations to get a stable orbit around the mun. My girlfriend called me nuts, to do calculations for a computer game. Told her to watch. Prepared for launch, launched....Solid booster flew away, spaceship fell over. Forgot to set up the staging. She laughed at me the whole evening :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:35:08 am by r4ptor »

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 11:54:05 am »
Hmm, I've started a long time ago, before PC's, later played various games, from Tetris to Q3. 15 years ago (how time flies) my son was a top 16 Q3 player in the world, so I had to play Q3 quite a bit. Now I am playing some old DOS games occasionally - Blockout, Digger, however mostly when I have few free minutes I play Blitz and Bullet (1 min a side) Chess online... .

Cheers

Alex

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »
The Myst series
The Neverhood

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:19 pm »
Just started playing this cool little iPhone game yesterday called Digby Forever, imo it's very reminiscent of DigDug and a lot of fun. It's by local Melbourne game dev house 3 Sprockets (I know one of the devs).

https://appsto.re/au/P84keb.i

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 03:44:14 am »
SKYRIM

...mic drop, discussion closed.
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 09:59:10 am »
I've recently purchased Battlefield 1 in order to unveil all of its marvelous features, turns out that it wears out quickly. CSGO on the other hand is a passion of mine, I really need to dose how much I play it as I normally spend hours and hours playing competitive mode. Dota 2 once in a while.
The endless river...

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
Rollercoaster Tycoon 31&2
These games are pure evil. Before you know it, it's 3 days later, haven't slept and wonder why you're smelling so bad.

I'm also a big fan of the Monkey Island series:

Look, a three headed monkey!!!!!!
Best game ever  :-+ :-+ :-+
Too bad the copyrights went to the wrong people.....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
I've been playing games for 25 years. Some of the ones I've spent the most time playing mixed in with some I think are among the best:

Quake
Doom and Doom II
Kerbal Space Program
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Lord of the Rings Online
SimCity (up to but not including 4)
Dishonored
Tomb Raider 2013

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
World of Warcraft and WoW: The Burning Crusade.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Red Alert, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.
Counter-Strike (not Source)
Batman: Arkham Asylum; Arkham Knight.
Mass Effect.
GTA 3, 4 and 5.
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Streets of Rage.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 06:29:43 pm »
Maybe I'm getting old, but I like chess, especially the Atomic variant on http://lichess.org And sometimes I play League of Legends, well, at least the cooperate games against the computer, I'm too bad for the normal game, but still fun to troll sometimes ;D Another nice game if I want to relax: http://agar.io

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2017, 06:47:08 pm »
I could never focus on computer chess for some reason, I need a physical chess board with real pieces in front of me to really play.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2017, 06:56:03 pm »

Time for some catching up  ;)  you missed out (a lot)!

Beside ncsnipes on a Novell Network of course the (Network Multi Player), (anyone?)

John Carmack is da man!

Old time favourite, Quake! Quake world, Quake 3A.

Now-a-days: Destiny, GTA, BF.

Basically, anything which has a 'trigger' on a PS4  :popcorn:

IMHO: Gaming is the perfect way to just kick back and relax.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:57:35 pm by onesixright »

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2017, 07:04:07 pm »
Anyone interested in classic old games should check out The Internet Archive.  In their software section they've got literally thousands of games - demos, play in your browser via an emulator, or download and install.

https://archive.org/details/software

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2017, 07:04:35 pm »
I could never focus on computer chess for some reason, I need a physical chess board with real pieces in front of me to really play.

This would be difficult for Atomic:

What I really like about Atomic is that it is more strategic and faster, you don't need to think as many moves in advances. My rating for this variant is about 1800. Of course, there are players with +2500 ratings, which I guess do think lots of moves in advance.

The "Horde" variant is fun, too, but I'm not good at it.
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »
 I'm just the opposite with chess. I guess I am too self-conscious of making bad moves. I'll play against the computer (learned with one of those old electronic units that had an actual board and pieces, just press your piece when moving), but I have never played against another person.

Ah, ncsnipe - now that was a classic.

Offline anman

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »
Question to the gamers! Nephew wants to buy a game console atom Z8700 Tablet PC GPD-X7 .... maybe someone had experience with this console. What are your impressions from the use.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:18:53 am by anman »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2017, 08:53:22 pm »
Question to the gamers! Nephew wants to buy a game console GPD-X5 .... maybe someone had experience with this console. What are your impressions from the use.
Same CPU as the one used in http://www.anandtech.com/show/9219/the-surface-3-review/6

GPU performance: potato.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2017, 09:41:11 pm »
Does anyone know the engineering games that were discussed in The Amp Hour? http://theamphour.com/332-an-interview-with-zach-barth-of-zachtronics/ I think Dave said he wanted to do an @EEVblog video about it. The one were you can program a (simulated) microcontroller sounds cool.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
Does anyone know the engineering games that were discussed in The Amp Hour? http://theamphour.com/332-an-interview-with-zach-barth-of-zachtronics/ I think Dave said he wanted to do an @EEVblog video about it. The one were you can program a (simulated) microcontroller sounds cool.

http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

It's a bit too realistic, even involves reading simulated obscure datasheets >:D

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »
Multi user TANK under RSX11m, nothing to beat the adrenalin of shooting at a bunch of other engineers, all hammering away at their VT100 keyboards...  especially when someone fired too long a volley and things started slowing down just as you tried to run for cover. Amazing what you could do with the ascii character set.  ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:45 pm »
Multi user TANK under RSX11m, nothing to beat the adrenalin of shooting at a bunch of other engineers, all hammering away at their VT100 keyboards...  especially when someone fired too long a volley and things started slowing down just as you tried to run for cover. Amazing what you could do with the ascii character set.  ;D

I wonder if someone has that in an emulator. I had no idea such a thing existed back when I had a PDP 11 with RSX11 on it at my disposal.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 12:31:49 am »
redneck rampage !  geddoffamylawn !

commander keen
dangerous dave
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 03:06:02 am »
My favourite domestic game requires I keep a 1993 console working.
Pinball Illusions - Amiga CD32.
My favourite arcade PCB I haven't got yet.. Gaplus.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 03:25:21 am »
Get up to date with construction games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Goo

Of course, how could I forget this? I played through all levels, this is me playing the last chapter and the epilogue:

Will check the other games.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 03:43:59 am »

It's a bit too realistic, even involves reading simulated obscure datasheets >:D

This looks awesome. But what is this, like 10 pages datasheet and 5 lines assembly programs? I'm used to read 1000 pages microcontroller datasheets, and I have written thousands of lines of C64 demos in 6502 assembly per demo, that's too easy :)

Offline stargonjie

• !
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 03:50:35 am »
Tetris and Mario Bros; ANYTHING Mario. Can't STAND stupid, serious, negative games where all they do is kill one another - yuck. Can't stand all this obsession with ultra graphical reality and all that baloney - just simple, fun and cheery Mario with the simplicity and FUN of Nintendo - that's all you need, not zombies and guns, how disgusting.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:53 am »

This looks awesome. But what is this, like 10 pages datasheet and 5 lines assembly programs? I'm used to read 1000 pages microcontroller datasheets, and I have written thousands of lines of C64 demos in 6502 assembly per demo, that's too easy :)

Don't worry the programing quickly gets more complicated than it first looks because the CPU architecture is a lot like the cut down crappy 8 bit MCUs where it has only the very basic of opcodes and next to no internal registers. To top it off you are limited to a short program so you have to squeeze your assembler program in to as few instructions as possible.

I played it but the cut down assembler quickly got annoying to me. I had more fun in Infinifactory and SpaceChem (Tho that one gets difficult real quick)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:15 am »
Don't worry the programing quickly gets more complicated than it first looks because the CPU architecture is a lot like the cut down crappy 8 bit MCUs where it has only the very basic of opcodes and next to no internal registers. To top it off you are limited to a short program so you have to squeeze your assembler program in to as few instructions as possible.

Well, the 6502 has only 3 registers, and I can even write brain damaged PIC assembler, I should try it.

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 07:44:04 am »

I wonder if someone has that in an emulator. I had no idea such a thing existed back when I had a PDP 11 with RSX11 on it at my disposal.

I never used RSX but at university in 1981-1983 we had quite a few multi user games on the PDP 11/70 (RSTS/E) and VAX 11/780 (VMS). "Empire" was pretty popular, but the *most* popular was a "snake" game with up to eight players. Tails getting longer all the time, you die when you run into one. I'm sure you've all played it on Nokias or something. All using character line graphics on the VT100.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 10:10:39 am »
I've no idea where Tank came from, at a guess it was included on an old DECUS tape. The trouble is narrowing down an internet search enough these days.

One thing's for sure, there's nothing more gut wrenching than seeing a human opponent, riding in a tank constructed mainly mainly of brackets and 'o's turning their hyphen gun barrel towards and firing off a volley of full stops in your direction! Especially when you don't know if there's enough CPU left to handle the keyboard interupts from your serial port to get you out of the way in time!  :scared:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:12:14 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 08:58:29 pm »
Just started playing this cool little iPhone game yesterday called Digby Forever, imo it's very reminiscent of DigDug and a lot of fun. It's by local Melbourne game dev house 3 Sprockets (I know one of the devs).

So thanks for getting me to waste even MORE time.  :-DD :-DD :-DD   Such a fun little game.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2017, 11:29:46 pm »

So thanks for getting me to waste even MORE time.  :-DD :-DD :-DD   Such a fun little game.

Hehe, yeah it's great fun, I believe there's an Android version coming soon for those that like to settle for second best.  :-DD

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2017, 04:08:35 am »
Yeah, I've played Doom, Doom II, all of the Quakes, Battlefield 2142/3, etc first-person shooter games many times and liked them all, but my absolute favourite must be the first computer game I ever played which was the original Zork and Zork II on a homebuilt Apple ][ clone.  Text only but it made me think outside the box and presented me with many surprises and puzzles of outstanding originality.
The clock hands would just spin when I played that.  I always hoped that that poor homebuilt Apple ][ would make it through another 10 min without crashing.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2017, 04:44:09 am »
PC:
Age of Empires 2, and all of its expansions.
StarCraft , played this a lot. For me it was a tie, which I enjoyed more. I didn't care fore the Zerg though.
Battlefield 1942, includes Secret Weapons of WW2. I played this a lot. I remember playing online, the lag was so bad, plus I was a newb.
Battlefield Vietnam, was fun. I remember my dad commented on the soundtrack.
Since my new laptop will play SC2 I will probably get it. I have it installed(need to pay for a copy), playing only the intro is horrible. I will have to config it for offline play only :?
Console, this will be long.
N64
Goldeneye007, Perfect Dark. Loved these two immensely, wished my emulators could work good for them.
PS2
Didn't own this one very long.We got a dud system, started failing after the warranty went up
Nightfire, plus a few others. my younger brother used this console a bit.
Midnight Club, my first racing game
Gamecube - Never owned one. It retrospective I wish I did. I loved Metroid :/
X-Box
Nothing else mattered for me.
H.A.L.O 1&2 !!!! Need I say more
Goldeneye Rogue Agent, I remember the campaign being harder than I expected. Multiplayer was fun though.
X-Box360
Halo 3!!!!
Perfect Dark the original version. Loved that paid feature.
Project Gotham Racing 2, lots of fun
Forza series, Even more fun.
Then we sold it.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2017, 07:54:14 am »
Zork is cool but I'm just no good at that type of game, I always get stuck.

I have it running on my FPGA CP/M computer I built from Grant Searle's page:
http://searle.hostei.com/grant/Multicomp/

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2017, 08:22:34 am »
I'm not very good with hand-eye coordination, but I did build game consoles and write computer games back in the 70s on hardware I'd built and designed myself. A version of Breakout was by far my best achievement.

I did get into commercial games like Tetris back in the very late 80s, and the Sierra games like Leisure Suit Larry and the various Quest games.

About ten years ago, I bought a PS3 to play Blu Rays, but also got into Guitar Hero. Again, just like when I was a kid, I wasn't that good but I wasn't too bad on the drums. One day I woke up and asked myself why I was playing a toy when I could be playing a real instrument. As a result I've became a fairly proficient saxophone player and a not quite so reasonable drummer on real instruments. I guess my view was that playing computer games isn't creative but playing real instruments is.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:59 am »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:36 pm »
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, Gran Turismo, Planet Coaster, and MGS IV are my favorites.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:28 am »
Half-Life 3

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2017, 09:26:22 am »
This was the last thing I played seriously:

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:56 am »
UT was good but it was no Quake 3 Arena  :box:

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:36 am »
Q3A felt sterile to me. Although railing people was fun :)

Offline Deridex

• Regular Contributor
  • IMHO
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2017, 05:49:01 pm »
My alltime Favoritesso far:
- Supreme Commander including expansion
- M.A.X.
-Unreal Tournament (1)
- Freespace 2
- Team Fortress 2  :-DD
- Deus Ex

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2017, 12:05:32 am »
Tetris and Mario Bros; ANYTHING Mario. Can't STAND stupid, serious, negative games where all they do is kill one another - yuck. Can't stand all this obsession with ultra graphical reality and all that baloney - just simple, fun and cheery Mario with the simplicity and FUN of Nintendo - that's all you need, not zombies and guns, how disgusting.
Unfortunately, those type of games are getting scarce.

Sometimes a reason why i prefer the older games.
Just plugging in, hit start, go for it and quit.
Easy and simple.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2017, 02:51:25 am »
The older games are all still around. Not many new concepts left to come up with, no need to remake the old ones again, you can just play the real deal. Emulators exist when the old hardware is not available, some of them are reasonably good.

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2017, 05:00:37 am »
The older games are all still around. Not many new concepts left to come up with, no need to remake the old ones again, you can just play the real deal. Emulators exist when the old hardware is not available, some of them are reasonably good.

The MAME emulator for all the old 80's games is really great with the right joystick.  However, some of the newest games like Skyrim and Fallout are extremely impressive in scope.  And there are still obvious technical improvements that can be made to these games so I am still looking forward to the future.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2017, 08:09:57 am »
Sometimes a reason why i prefer the older games.
Just plugging in, hit start, go for it and quit.
Easy and simple.

Another of my favorite games is VVVVVV, which is this kind of game. This is me, playing level 1:

If you want an easy, entertaining online multiplayer type game (no characters/logins needed), slither.io, agar.io or tagpro.gg are pretty entertaining. They remind me of early 2000s flash games.

Right, slither is fun, once I played it with the zoom hack  >:D

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2017, 09:06:24 am »
Q3A felt sterile to me. Although railing people was fun :)

IMHO, Q3A was (and possibly still is) the best dueling game. On top levels it is awesome to watch. I've accompanied my son to World Cyber Games 2002 in South Korea and it was a great fun.

Cheers

Alex

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2017, 11:06:25 am »
Most hours spent: BBC Model B - The ORIGINAL Eliteby David Braben - 2.1ml planets in 32KB ram with 1 tape load - and 3D wire-frame graphics....

Apart from that FlightSim's (real and home) with range of cockpit setups.

And then Leisure Suit Larry and a range of other Sierra games. :) on the PC.

Only games I play now is with my son in the iPad - so anything from Lightning McQueen, easy "shoot them up's" and Disney Planes fly though hula hoops.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:33 pm »
 Another great one was a staple of dial-up bulletin board systems - Tradewar!
I still play occasionally - some people I know have set up a telnet server you can log in and play the TW2002 version on. Still fun after all these years.

Offline skylinrcr01

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2017, 05:15:51 am »
Most hours spent: BBC Model B - The ORIGINAL Eliteby David Braben - 2.1ml planets in 32KB ram with 1 tape load - and 3D wire-frame graphics....

Apart from that FlightSim's (real and home) with range of cockpit setups.

And then Leisure Suit Larry and a range of other Sierra games. :) on the PC.

Only games I play now is with my son in the iPad - so anything from Lightning McQueen, easy "shoot them up's" and Disney Planes fly though hula hoops.

Have you seen Elite Dangerous? It's a bit insane with all the controls, but once you get the hang of it, it's an awesome game!

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 02:05:17 am »

Wow, I though I was the only one...

Offline Cupcakus

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:05 am »
My long time favorite computer for games was the Apple II.  So much so I built a miniature one with all the games so as to make it portable.  Works with a standard Bluetooth keyboard.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:03 am »
That's cool, is that Raspberry Pi based, or something else? I have the real deal in the closet downstairs, I pull it out to play with it now and then.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:22 am »

Have you seen Elite Dangerous? It's a bit insane with all the controls, but once you get the hang of it, it's an awesome game!

Yes - but too afraid of getting sucked into it and not spending enough time on my compiler.... :)

Offline ornea

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
The Incredible Machine - I played it a lot, my mate became obsessed.  He started off very bad and this seems to have driven him to the obsession.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »
You may want to try:
- Half-Life 1
- Black & White
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- BioShock 1
- Far Cry 3
- Fallout 4
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:39:02 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline DJohn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 04:21:43 pm »
If you enjoyed the puzzling aspect of Portal, have a go at The Witness.  It also takes one simple concept as far as it will go, and later puzzles build on what you learned from earlier ones.  A key difference is that almost every puzzle is available from the start.  If you don't know what to do in one area, there will be another somewhere that will teach you.

Offline Cupcakus

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2017, 06:52:58 am »
That's cool, is that Raspberry Pi based, or something else? I have the real deal in the closet downstairs, I pull it out to play with it now and then.

It runs on a C.H.I.P.  which is similar to a pi, only much cheaper $9.

Build instructions are on GitHub https://github.com/Cupcakus/AppleIIMini

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2017, 08:29:42 pm »
Transport Tycoon DeLuxe (or OpenTTD)

Tyrian (and OpenTyrian)

Shogo Mobile Armor Divission (you can play and pass whole game w/o cheats)

Grand Theft Auto.

Edit: And Warcraft 2 and Starcraft! Well, and sometimes Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (giving me visual problems on Win10+Intel Graphics).

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:32:16 pm by Naguissa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf