Author Topic: PDF catalogue links RS Components and Element14 in Australia? :-//  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Electro DetectiveTopic starter

• Super Contributor

How does one download PDF catalogues from RS and Element14 in Australia without wasting any more time than I already have this morning    |O :horse:

I was going to comment at this post from 2013 but it appeared geared for the UK members, hence this post.
eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-to-get-a-catalogue-from-rs/msg243789/#msg243789

Caution: You are entering a Mini-Rant Zone below    >:D

Jaycar, Altronics and Radio Parts 2018 PDFs were easy peasy to find and download,  :clap:
without any join up BS, labyrinth web site to plough through, Chat popups, 404 pages, browser security alerts  :scared: :bullshit:, website expiry date BS notices etc etc etc   ::)

One might assume Jaycar, Altronics and Radio Parts are a bit more serious about staying in business long term,
and value the odd stray cash buyer, electronics noobs, pros, tradies, DIYers and returned customers back to the electronics industry.

Is it possible RS and Element14 are that well off they can afford to snob out on aussie electronics battlers, and or employing clueless website handlers?

ooops, wait a minute, do RS and Element14 even have PDF catalogues, or is it still hard copy door stops and CD frisbees ??

:-// :-// :-//

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
Re: PDF catalogue links RS Components and Element14 in Australia? :-//
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:16:18 am »
The last PDF cattledog I managed to get from RS was 2012. I still use it when I'm offline, but it's not indexed and it's quite big. I've been waiting for another edition but they don't seem interested.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:49:47 am »
With Element14, it's hard enough keeping products in stock long term.
I made a list of parts for a project, 6 months later nothing on that list was still available.
Wasn't a long list, but still takes time to search for parts to the same specs, copy the links, prices etc into a document, add up the total cost.

The idea of making a catalog of anything is comical, would be out of date within a month.
So many brand new products they order once, let sell out and discontinue.
If you just want generic parts it's OK, but for anything unique it's just hopeless. 

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Electro DetectiveTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:29:55 pm »

Thanks gents for the info, I thought it may have been my page navigation skills going south  :-[

Still though, both  RS Components and Element14 should at least keep up a yearly generic parts list PDF for punters to wade through
and order the bog standard stuff that doesn't change like the weather > fuses, neons, connector blocks, wire, glands, cables, switches, resistors, caps, diodes, ICs, solder, fans,
Ohm's Law pie charts, blah...

I reckon they've lost a few hundred from me in the last couple of years because of the above reason,
and found it just easier and less thinking to find an equivalent item or 'good enough' component/s just by having the Jaycar, Altronics and Radio Parts PDFs side by side in tabs in Foxit PDF,
sharing the same Search term = too easy.

...as well as the option of harvesting parts from water logged nature strip tosses on Sunday arvos when the stores are closed   ;)

All three are indexed quite well btw, all parts and pricing in your face    :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf