Author Topic: Pepsi challenge for new parts search site  (Read 787 times)

Offline buypartsTopic starter

Pepsi challenge for new parts search site
« on: June 19, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
Ok, so after a long time wanting to make my own parts search engine I've finally started pulling it together. It's an aggregator for about 600 data feeds (ems, distributors, manufacturers, backend parts management). I have tried to make a true full-text alternative (including parametric data faceting). Early days...

So I love it myself. But loving my own product doesn't tell me much. Can any of you guys give it a whirl with typical keyword, parameter, part number searches to see how it holds up against your usual search sites (octo part, alldatasheet, mouser etc)?

No need to hold back if you find it useless. Honest feedback will help me iterate.  ;)

Links:

https://www.buyparts.io/
https://www.buyparts.io/0.1uF%200603%20capacitor.html

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
Re: Pepsi challenge for new parts search site
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:03 pm »
Having a multi-select checkbox would be more helpful in the top filter of a search. If you have a sane number of parameters. For example mounting type appears to only have two options, Through hole and surface mount (at least for the part I was looking at). It would make more sense as a user in my opinion to be able to select one or both of those options without having to search. Other than that looks nice.

Offline buypartsTopic starter

Re: Pepsi challenge for new parts search site
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:14:10 pm »
Thanks elecman14, that would be great. I originally started down the route of multi-select dropdowns. I had a couple of problems. First was that for many of the parameters there could be hundreds of options. So the text of the dropdowns would make page sizes large. The other problem was with the data sources. Because there are so many different sources there is no standardization of values. For example the same value could be written differently by 20 different data sources.

I'll certainly take another look at it. Maybe a hybrid of freetype and multi-select is possible.

Thanks again for that feedback.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf